Who has the better rogue gallery?

Who has the better rogue gallery?
I like Spider-man's more but I think that Batman's is more well known

You are correct OP

I dare say /thread

dang. welp. i guess its time to head home

Batman's villains cease to matter the moment they leave Gotham.

this is true. but more of the general population know who they are.

Spider-Man has far better villains conceptually, but most of them are relegated to being jobbers

Same with Batman's really, he just has the Joker who is the most popular of all time

Only because of an overmemed movie and an Assassin's Creed reskin game.

See, it's interesting because we've always seen Spidey's villains branch out, fighting other heroes and even joining heroic organizations, while Batman's rarely give a fuck about anything outside of Batman or their own personal schemes.

Venom was a Guardian of the Galaxy and Agent of the Cosmos, the closest thing for Batman is the Scarecrow getting a Yellow Ring of Power.

Joker doesn't really fuck with the rest of the Justice League, few non-Bat related heroes live in Gotham to fight the rogues, and they almost never turn good or take up new personas.

So I wouldn't say that Batman's gallery is better, just more isolated.

Batman's rouges are more interesting as people and Spiderman's have more interesting abilities.

As a hero, I like Spider-Man more. But Batman's rogue's gallery is way WAY better.

I think it all comes down to the movies

The reason the most popular batman villains are well known is because the batman films have been out longer and more of them have been given screen time in the films
Joker, Bane, Poison Ivy, Mr freeze, Catwoman, Penguin, Riddler,..they were all given the movie treatment before the Nolan Trilogy.
Thats 7, and if you include the Nolan trilogy, thats 9 with Rahs Ah Ghul and Scarecrow.
With the Spiderman films, we have
Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Sandman, Venom, new goblin, Electro, Lizard, and Rhino. Thats 7 and a half.
Thats the same amount of villains, but the difference is that the Batman ones have been in the public eye for a lot longer

I maintain that it was an absolutely massive missed opportunity for the man talking to Harry at the end of Amazing 2 to not be revealed as Norman, alive all along.

Granted, that's hardly that movie's biggest sin.

i still havent seen ASM1 or 2 so idk anything about that

In short Spidey's villains have better motivation and more development. Batman's are more marketable.

Edge lords don't wear Green Goblin shirts, they like the Joker more. Its easier to link themselves to a crazy because he's just crazy guy with no identity, than Norman Osborne.

Then you've done yourself a favor.

spidey doesnt have an arch nemisis like Batman does though. people assume its Green Goblin just because he was in the first movie

>See, it's interesting because we've always seen Spidey's villains branch out, fighting other heroes and even joining heroic organizations, while Batman's rarely give a fuck about anything outside of Batman or their own personal schemes.

The Riddler went to mess with Green Arrow and the Flash several times.

Pre-Crisis Joker tried to steal Black Canary from GA.

Freeze had a team-up with other cold-themed villains.

Catwoman joined one of the Justice Leagues of America watched by Amanda Waller.

Then there's the Suicide Squad, the backbone of which nowadays are at least three Bat villains (Deadshot, Croc, Harley). Hell, Deadshot eventually grew into the poster boy of SS more than his Batvillain routs.

>In short Spidey's villains have better motivation and more development.
>dude, what if someone got in a lab experiment like spiderman... BUT THEN THEY DID EVIL!

Along with Joker, Ra's, Poison Ivy, and Clayface attacking Superman or the entire Justice League somewhat often.

You're right in that Spider-Man doesn't have an equivalent to the Joker, but to say the Green Goblin isn't one of the three to come close is plain wrong.
The big three Spider-Man villains are often considered to be Norman, Ock, and Venom.
Venom is easily the most popular, Ock is the most consistent, having been around when Norman was dead and before Venom even existed, and Norman has done the most damage.

Personally I think it's for the best Spider-Man doesn't have a main arch enemy like Batman does. It means outside adaptations don't have to rely on the same villain every single fucking time (looking at you BamHam).

Mileage varies a lot. Most people I've had the subject come up with in some way or another, seem to choose(or at least imply they'd choose) doctor octopus; even before the movie this happened. Goblin gets a lot of who?s unless you remind them.

I don't really know why doc gets some recoginition other than the movie though - I can't remember him showcasing in anything else, and god knows TV dorfs like leno and colbert weren't bringing him up. Was he used a lot in the cartoons?

have you even read anything pre-OMD?

>Personally I think it's for the best Spider-Man doesn't have a main arch enemy like Batman does. It means outside adaptations don't have to rely on the same villain every single fucking time (looking at you BamHam).
It's a shame Arkham went down the path it did but we have a large amount of movies, real and animated, that don't use the Joker. And we have Beware the Batman, a series that didn't have Joker in it at all.

Spidey's Villains & Their Motivations:
The Chameleon: A Communist, Hates America
The Vulture: Thief
Doc Octopus: Crazy, Sometimes Criminal
The Lizard: Can't Stop Lizarding
Kraven the Hunter: He likes...hunting?
Sandman: Usually just Crime
Electro: Crime or Sadism
Mysterio: Crime, Occasionally Being Crazy
Green Goblin: Crime, Occasionally Being Crazy or Business Ventures

The big problems with Spider-Man Villains is that most of them don't build any prestige & only stick around doing low-level crime & only team up with each other.

I don't know, Green Goblin is pretty arch nemisis-y. Even if he does branch out to other heroes more than Joker.

>what if someone got in a lab experiment like spiderman... BUT THEN THEY DID EVIL!
that describes like, only two of his major villains

First, I have never seen anybody wear a joker shirt and neither have you. And second, green goblin is also fucking crazy.

I feel like you forgot the Rhino who had that whole falling out after his loved one was killed. He basically tried to go straight but ended up reverting to the status quo, which was... Rhino-ing?

My favorite Spider-man stories are the ones like Tangled Web, where the villains have their one-offs where they do things that really flesh out their characterizations.

I think Grim Hunt and The Gauntlet were arcs that did that successfully for villains such as The Lizard and the Kraven Family.

When you break out a list like this though, it does make the Batman villains look a little fuller and rounder.

Kraven's Last Hunt mostly just was a really dramatic way of saying that Kraven either wants to be more like Spider-Man, but can't, or is just plain crazy.

I gave up on the Rhino when I read an issue of the Hulk where they try to give him a job as a mall santa (cause he's living on the street) & gets in a fight with an intelligent Hulk for no good reason. Then they get stopped halfway through by a lady offering them cookies, but he freaks out & starts attacking again because they have macadamia nuts. Also I can't take him seriously because his costume has a long-johns butt-flap.

You're right, there's a lot out there that don't have Joker but it's hard to deny how much less popular those versions are. People still talk about The Dark Knight but almost nobody outside of the comics community talks about Batman Begins and if they're talking about Rises it's usually making fun of Bane's silly voice or memes. Batman '89 is the most talked about Batman movie from before the Dark Knight. Then again Returns is a very polarizing movie and the two after that are generally considered shitty so that can't be placed on Joker's popularity alone. And let's be real here, Beware the Batman is by far the least popular Batman cartoon.
But again that's not entirely due to lack of Joker more than it is CN's shitty advertising. I seem to recall Brave and the Bold not having him in the spotlight too often and that show was still pretty popular and great too.
You forgot shitty dads.
I love Spider-Man's villains but the fact that Norman Osborn, Eddie Brock, and Ock, his three most popular villains, all have daddy issues is ridiculous.
I think Mysterio does too which is just dumb. There's probably more I'm forgetting.

I wish so badly that Electro kept his Gauntlet characterization. him becoming a 'power to the people' figure worked on so many levels

>dramatic way of saying that Kraven either wants to be more like Spider-Man, but can't, or is just plain crazy.
his goal in life was to become the apex predator. grim hunt happened because he was forced to swallow his pride and admit Spider-Man was the apex predator. however he still felt compelled to become the apex predator so the only recurse left was to become spider-man and vanquish a prey that kept getting away from Peter.

it helps if you remember that Kraven does a shit load of 'herbal enhancements' and is basically to hunting what Grant Morrison is to comics

>grim hunt
last hunt, fuck

Though Ock and Electro had shitty mothers to go along with their shitty fathers.

bump

Spider-Man's is consistently better. Even the ones writers try to actively make useless like Scorpion and Shocker not only had times to shine, but are cool and memorable despite future efforts.

Batman by a mile. Spider-man's villains are mediocre at best- the only people who think otherwise are pople who don't read anything bust Spider-man. There's only so many times you can write about a generic theif in an animal costume before it becomes cringe inducing.

Riddler also fought Question and Cheetah and Catwoman have a longstanding rivalry

>an Assassin's Creed reskin game.

The Arkham games were nothing like Assassin's Creed, though. Like, literally NOTHING.

>Cheetah and Catwoman have a longstanding rivalry
One of them goes toe to toe with Wonder Woman, and the other is a burglar. It's like Eddie Brock Venom having a rivalry with Black Cat.

Apparently the Vulture is Spider-Man's only villain.

>but are cool and memorable despite future efforts.

>"I stole a thing while Spider-man quipped!"
Woah, so cool and memorable.

Spider-Man has the best.

>I don't read comics.

Substantiate your claims.

Batman's rogues are sociopathic carnies, Evil semi-Batmen, and the one or two real threats like Clayface and Freeze.

Wow, look at all those literal whos

Did you see that cringe section, where Catwomen somehow beats up cheetah with a baseball bat or something like that. So dumb.

No it was a fucking rock.

These are the rogues of a Billionaire who can build advanced satellites and moonbases, who can beat up Deathstroke in a stand-up fight, and has a small army of vigilante sidekicks?

That's some incredible jobbing.

A lot more versatile and more unique than Batman's. There's a handful of Spider-Man villains that cover any different genre you can think of. They're also fun and don't have to resort to grimdark shit to be entertaining. Even the most lame of the Spider-Man villains have enough to their character to carry their own series.

>Carnage
>Morbius
>Chameleon
>Kingpin
>Lizard
>Sandman
>Scorpion
>Kraven
>Green Goblin
>Venom
>Doc Ock
>Electro
>Mysterio
>Rhino
>Hammerhead

>Literally whos.

Do you not read comics at all? Fucking Sup Forums man.

Tarantula. Swarm? Jackal? Green guy below Carnage, a Serpent Society member?

Jackal isn't in the image.

Little grey guy next to Kingpin? I know Jackal is usually green but ya never know.

That's Vermin.

So it is. They used the same sculpt in a recent Heroclix set and just painted them different. Damn cheapskates.