Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nOeK0Ig-H9g
youtube.com/watch?v=jUDUbxsNjV0
youtube.com/watch?v=E-QKd37uFug
youtube.com/watch?v=R2jwkqN-0gI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I DON'T LIKE DOING IT!

Who was this ghoul anyway?

A Hollywood actor who looked and sounded creepy and always played creepy characters

He was mostly known for his part in Casablanca

The Maltese Falcon was kind of boring desu

Name?

I just not an American.

Peter Lorre. It's right in the OP.

Yetch from Mad Monster Party

original character do not steal

It's weird how popular he was.

Don't forget that he was an Austro-Hungarian Jew who began his career in German cinema before the Nazis came to power

His first big role was in Fritz Lang's M as a child serial killer

His voice just never leaves

When I was young I always thought that was supposed to be Steve Buscemi.

I wasn't a clever child.

To be fair, he appears often enough and caricatured enough you'd could tell he was based of a famous person bit unless you were the one kid that really enjoyed old black and white horror movies or Casablanca, you'd probably not know who he is.

Isnt it interesting how so many of our modern cartoon references are from the 40s?

>Isnt it interesting how so many of our modern cartoon references are from the 40s?

It's more like our cartoons reference older cartoons that reference older cartoons that reference older cartoons that referenced something contemporary.

It's like a telephone game with a little bit getting lost in each translation. Ultimately, Peter Lorre is transformed into Boo Berry.

Is Peter Lorre the most imitated real person in all of cartoons?

Adam West and Shatner are up there.

And Lugosi and Vincent Price, obviously.

>To be fair, he appears often enough and caricatured enough you'd could tell he was based of a famous person bit unless you were the one kid that really enjoyed old black and white horror movies or Casablanca, you'd probably not know who he is.
I found out through Toonheads

>Forgetting Arnold Schwarzenegger.

C'mon, ladies!

youtube.com/watch?v=nOeK0Ig-H9g

I'm surprised this movie isn't more often mentioned in those "childhood nightmare fuel" threads
Well beyond the clown part.

I find it weird I don't think I've seen a single live action movie of his, but I've seen parodies of him dozens of times.

>never seen Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon

Dude. You need to fix that. Also, he's really funny in Arsenic and Old Lace. His movies with Vincent Price are pretty fun too.

Oh shit that was him? The characatures gave me a different impression of the dude

probably because B-movie and Worthless have a cool rock-opera vibe more so than just being outright spooky.

and in the actual flick Worthless is ruined by constant cuts to the TV trying to get the master's attention...

Wasn't there a character based on him in the stop motion Frankenweenie too?

Fuck I forgot he was in Maltese Falcon!
Welp, sounds like a good excuse to watch it again

I don't think exactly.
But really any Igor character is doing a bit of Peter Lorre

>voice
It's funny.
His voice has become such a cliche, used time and time again, that I'm sure that when creators use it now they don't even know who they are referencing. Well, maybe not, but certainly 99.99% of viewers (especially kids watching toons) would firstly have no idea who he was (fair enough; they're still young) but secondly they will grow up never knowing what all this shit and the funny creepy voice was referencing.

Same goes for all those Marx Brothers gags.

One incident that came to mind a few years ago was when I was watching the english dub of cowboy bebop.
Some tinfoil hat expert character was on the news during that satellite AI drawing those nazca lines on earth had a Lorre-voice.

Pops up in strange places.

He's just the figurehead of a stereotype I guess.
Like how Arnold Swarzenegger is why often bodybuilder guys in shows or cartoons are all German/Austrian sounding.

Igor Bromhead

beat me to it

Peter Lorre is a legend. Responsible for one of the greatest acted scenes in cinema.

youtube.com/watch?v=jUDUbxsNjV0

>not M

higher quality than your link
youtube.com/watch?v=E-QKd37uFug

but yes great scene

WB Animation sure did love Lorre

A rare Timothy Dalton-Peter Lorre scene

holy shit

Peter Lorre is Cute! CUTE!

Christopher Walken?

B-Movie isn't scary. Air Conditioner is scary.

Wow I'd never heard him speak german before.
That was magnificent.
I can't imagine what a 30's audience could've been fucking thinking watching that performance during that scene in the theatre.

>jeepers, creepers, where'd you get dem peepers
>jeepers, creepers, where'd you get dem eyes

Them Lorre eyes.
Another trope to themselves.

Steve Buscemi?

dude, most of that shit was "literary who" even when i was a fucking kid in the 80s! i doubt kids would even care, they just think the voice is funny

the ONLY time i seen it was via those loonytunes shorts

Why do we live in a world with TWO blue ghosts that sound like Peter Lorre? What are the odds of this?

Did Peter Lorre ever even star a ghost film?

I thinks it's all parodies/references of references/parodies now.

Is Zombie Pumpkin really supposed to sound like Peter Lorre?

holy shit
it's weird but even though I was reading the subtitles I felt like I was hearing what Lorre was saying directly. is that "acting"? I've never seen any foreign stuff that has that effect before.

Perfect reaction image material

>is that "acting"?

Lorre was a pretty great actor whenever he was allowed to play parts other than "quirky ambiguously foreign guy."

Which isn't to say he was bad at that. Joel Cairo's one of the best parts of The Maltese Falcon. And he's barely in Casablanca, but he's so memorable you end up thinking he has a much bigger role.

Igor just has a really close association to "spooky" so everyone does it.

He reminds me of Micheal Shannon in the picture.

>I just not an American.

Neither was he.

Shannon's got those heavy eyelids too.

But he's not as adorable as young Peter Lorre. Who is prime husbando material. If you're into tiny Hungarian Jews with mournful expressions. Like I am.

Is this the beginning of Lorreposting?

Its threads like these that make me stay on Sup Forums.

For all its shit, I can appreciate anywhere that can give love to this gift of a man.

Seriously, everyone recognizes his face and voice, but if you ask for his name its all blank stares and 'that creepy guy'.

Peter Lorre and cartoons both share the fact that they're unserrated and great

One of the more famous Hungarian immigrant actors next to Bela Lugosi (Dracula). He did some films back in Hungary (his most famous stars him as a Pedophile, hence his reference about bubbles in one of the Looney Toons shorts), used his position in Hollywood to immigrate his Jewish family out of Europe when WWII was brewing, did alot of horror films and other non-horror films, and just like Lugosi and Karloff, are well known for their accent when talking. For Lorre it was also his unique face, but most of it is just caricature more than anything.

God know, I coudln't even think to begin with how many famous folks are easily impersonated. Older ones would be like Jimmy Durante (A-Cha-Cha-Cha), Cab Calloway and his high energetic voice, and Vincent Price.

Nah, review brah has a baby face

Damn, I didn't remember the songs being that GOAT

When you get really famous and well loved, you never truly die.

Probably both the artists loving his caricature and everyone else enjoying Mel Blanc's impersonation of him.

why does he look so much like sander cohen?

This mofo isn't on top of the list, but he's certainly high tier.

Do video games count?

I found this. It was recorded on a potato, and has some added sound effects, but it has two of the most imitated characters of the time together.

youtube.com/watch?v=R2jwkqN-0gI

He doesn't. Cohen's design was based on Salvador Dali.

Price And Lorre were a great team.

Well the saying goes that you're only truly dead when you're forgotten.