Al Ewing is not a great writer

Let's discuss Ewing, Sup Forums.

A lot of people here feel like it's some sort of great injustice that Ewing's comics keep bombing over and over again despite their perceived quality, but are they really as great as Sup Forums makes them out to be?

Every writer was green and unknown at some point, until they produced some work that gave them wider exposure. For Alan Moore, it was Swamp Thing, for Grant Morrison, it was Animal Man, for Neil Gaiman, it was The Sandman, for Peter Milligan, it was Shade the Changing Man. Even recent writers follow this pattern, Geoff Johns and Green Lantern, Rick Remender and Uncanny X-Force, Ed Brubaker and Captain America, Matt Fraction and Hawkeye, etc.

And yet despite all this, I've yet to see Ewing's breakout hit, his works are good, yes, but only within the bubble that is superhero comics. They're just "good superhero comics", nothing terribly special. He hasn't produced anything that transcends the medium like Moore's Swamp Thing or anything with wide appeal like Fraction's Hawkeye, so is it really surprising that Ewing's comics do not sell?

TL;DR: Al Ewing is not as great as you make him out to be and won't be until he steps up his game.

And yes, I just put Moore and Fagtion in the same sentence, sue me

You're attacking an opinion that doesn't really exist. I like Ewing because he's a solid cape writer with a good grasp of history and continuity which is more than you can say for most Big Two writers these days. Who the fuck has ever equated him with Alan Moore?

Also, comparing any of those newer writers to gods like Moore, Morrison, and Gaiman is fucking retarded. I mean Geoff Johns' Green Lantern, fucking really?

I'm sorry but this is just a bad thread all around.

>Geoff Johns and JSA or Avengers
FTFY

But yea I agree, and think Johns, Brubaker, Fraction and Remender are the same, they just write good cape comics, though Remender and Brubaker have some amazing non cape books.

His last issue of Mighty Avengers was extremely good. Check it out if you haven't read it. Just because a run isn't famous doesn't mean it's not good. I bet you'd say Jeff Parker isn't good either.

Also, do you notice a trend with the runs you stated? You're comparing writers who's major work was decades ago and recent stuff that was overhype because of the characters who stared in them. If Deadpool and Wolverine weren't in Remender's X-Force run, I bet you it would have disappeared off everyone's radar in a heartbeat.

I only read a couple of issues of Ewing's Ultimates and it struck me as someone trying to ape metaphysical writing of someone like Gaiman or Morrison, without really understanding it. Not unlike how Fraction came off in his Thor run. I didn't mind his character work as long as it was rooted down more.

t. I can't read

Don't bother replying if you're not smart enough to do so, mongoloid.

>assblasted OP detected
You literally started the thread by implying every poster reading it loves Al Ewing, so yea, you're arguing against an imaginary opinion.

Please don't compare Parker to the guys he mentioned (except Johns). It makes you look dumb.

If you had read the storytimes you'd know that "Ewing is a seriously underrated writer who deserves to sell more!!" isn't an unpopular opinion around here.

There is a reason I've been doing this for two years:

>Ewing

So? That doesn't justify your leap to thinking that people consider him to be as good as Moore and Morrison. People want him to sell more because he's one of the few writers at Marvel who doesn't just use the comic as a horrible soapbox. Liking a writer doesn't mean everyone thinks he's the GOAT. Your thread is fucking retarded.

>your leap to thinking that people consider him to be as good as Moore and Morrison
I never said that, learn to read please.

He really is not a great writer, and his books sell about what they should sell.

I have yet to see what is good in USAvengers.

You're saying that if he's any good, he'll have a breakout comic on the level of Moore and Morrison, which is retarded, because even fucking Bendis had a breakout comic.

Alright writer but uses too many minorities to the point the boook boombs.

Ewing's masterpiece is Loki Agent of Asgard.
Everything else he's done can go into the gutter.

Ewing is a solid writer content to have fun with comic book superheroes.

He doesn't have to be a forgotten messiah or satan incarnate.

Ultimates is fun and benefits from strong art by Travel Foreman. It's occupying a niche for the 'widescreen' comics of the early 00's that Stormwatch and the Authority filled and that Mark Millar bought to Marvel with the original Ultimates run.

Meanwhile Bryan Hitch is doing a justice league comic that no one seems to give a shit about.

Nah those were editorial demands that he turned into good books rather than [UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ON ISRAEL]

>uses too many minorities

Because remember, you can do anything in comic books, except include more than two non-white characters.

Yes? Hate him all you want but at least Bendis built a fanbase for himself, as retarded as that fanbase may be. Ewing hasn't managed to do so, which is a testament to how flavorless and bland his comics are.

I doubt it has anything to do with minorities. If anything it's him avoiding popular characters like the plague.

>Meanwhile Bryan Hitch is doing a justice league comic that no one seems to give a shit about.
And sells about five times more.

Anyway, nobody fucking believes that Hitch is a great writer or anything like that.

Guy legitimately has a fetish for black men though, it's clear from his dialogue.

USAvengers could literally be written by an eveyday writer like Jurgens, nobody would give a fuck.

But is Ewing, the savior, so it is excellent by default.

>how flavorless and bland his comics are.

Ultimates is almost nothing but grandiose and amazing moments that have huge philosophical implications.

The tragedy is that it doesn't always read well issue-to-issue because the characters' exact motivations can feel mercurial, and some character float in and out of focus for too long.

Carol talking to T'Challa in a diner while they're both in disguise is an amazingly well written character moment, immediately interrupted by Anti-Man butting in.

Blue Marvel and Monica Rambeu discussing that she no longer needs to eat or sleep because she can turn into light and the implications of that about her senses and even her humanity are left as tantalizing details.

But because nothing is centered the story sputters.

Why do you do this, Ewing-hatefam? I've seen you post this so many times.

Justice League has all the Rebirth momentum, Ultimates is buried by Marvel's confusing renaming and relaunching structure.

His name is Bitch Ewing, get it right.

>huge philosophical implications.
This is why cape readers are considered retarded.

People like him because he's one of the only writers at Marvel that cares.

He cares enough about the characters and their world to try to do them justice.
Hawkeye feels like Hawkeye. Squirrel Girl feels like Squirrel Girl.

Part of why I wish he was more popular is because I want this approach to be more popular.
I just want Marvel to give a shit.

>amazing moments that have huge philosophical implications.
hahahaha

Minorities in general = sales down. Not my fault most people even so called non racists avoid them.

Most people are clannish and what to relate to sonething that looks like themselves.

what are the comics from DC and Marvel that Ewing has written?

äüü

I wasn't comparing, but he is a good writer but doesn't have an overblown memorable work

Well pardon me for thinking it's fun when Master Order eats Lord Chaos and they become Logos, a terrifying new cosmic threat and clever allegory for the tension between editors and readers in regards to continuity in superhero comics.

What comics am I supposed to like?

OP you're a fag lol

Like whatever you want, but not even Ewing's mother would agree with "huge philosophical implications".

Cape comics are all about hyperbole.

GALACTUS, THE WORLD EATER HAS NOW BECOME GALACTUS THE LIFE BRINGER!!!!

>I've yet to see Ewing's breakout hit, his works are good, yes, but only within the bubble that is superhero comics. They're just "good superhero comics", nothing terribly special.
>Geoff Johns and Green Lantern, Rick Remender and Uncanny X-Force, Ed Brubaker and Captain America, Matt Fraction and Hawkeye

Listen mate, I'm not saying those comics were masterpieces or anything, but they clearly did something right that made them breakout hits. Ewing has yet to do that.

OP is right. Evey one of these works is better than THE LIFE BRINGER!!!

He never provides an answer. The reason is memetics. Or at best "I don't like his face".

ITT OP starts a thread to respond to the strawman posts he created months ago.

>Ewing's masterpiece is Loki Agent of Asgard.
Yes.
>Everything else he's done can go into the gutter.
"No."

I've only read his team comics, which he seems to do in abundant nowadays. They have only been decent to good and Johns tier. I need to see more of his solo comics to form a proper opinion.

Someone has yet to say what USAvengers has that makes it stand out.

Sure as hell isn't the art.
Sure as hell isn't the characters.
Sure as hell isn't the plot.

I'm finding USAvengers pretty meh desu. same With New Avengers (although that did have a collection of undeniable moments by the end).

So the criteria for greatness is entirely monetary now?
I mean, that makes perfect sense, I agree. But the OP's arguing pure [TRANSCENDENCE] which muddles the context.
Oh hey, it's you!
Read some Galactus comics since last time?

I like Ewing's work but I think the climate has changed too much for him to produce a so called "breakout hit". I'm not sure why you're attacking him. His comics are among the few still worth reading when it comes to Marvel.

Because if something's not amazing, then it doesn't deserve praise.

I guess.

Not Ewing's fault editorial pushes them so hard either

Wait so now having sales has nothing to do with quality? Make up your mind here chief.

t. Jealous dcbitch

Ewing shits on any writer working at DC right now.

It's 100% Ewing's own doing.
No way did editorial push White Tiger, Blue Marvel, Power Man, or Monica on him.

He just likes who he likes, which is heavily motivated by the Marvel books he like growing up in the 80's.

I like Al as much as the next guy, but let's not turn this into company wars bullshit.

>most comic readers look like Batman

He gets it. Simple as.
He gets that comics should be fun. He gets that comics should be epic. He gets that comics can do things as a medium others can't. He gets that continuity is one of Marvel's major strengths, but also gets that change & development & forward momentum used to be too. Plus he sees potential in everything; the shit he's pulled off with bare bones basic literally whos like Blue Marvel or Power Man II or White Tiger XVII is insane. I've yet to see him write off a character as useless or worthy of derision, like so many other continuityfags have.
He's the EiC Marvel needs but doesn't deserve tbqh.

nb; I don't bitch about his sales figures or saltily compare him to other writers, so maybe I'm not even the intended audience for this post. I just enjoy his comics. A lot more than I do any other modern capeshit writer.

>now?
No because some of those aren't even huge sellers. They wowed critics and comic book readers and have become memorable runs that are still talked about many years later.

His fans pretend like his comics are amazing though not just "OK"

Marvel's continuity is far more closely-knit, even if he knows & cares as much about DC continuity I don't know if he'd be as effective there.

...And?
I just don't see why you or anyone else would care.

It's just the truth, my friend.

So basically wait until Ultimates is a few years older is what you're saying?

>Ewing shitting on Priest, Yang or Russell
Yeah, nah

:^)

Even the My Chemical Romance guy is a better writer. AND a more successful one.

>He gets that comics should be fun
Comics shouldn't be anything. It's a big medium and there are a million different stories you can tell. Books, music, movies, comics, video games etc DON'T have to be a certain thing, that's retarded. You're just selfish and want to be pandered to 24/7.

Don't make me laugh.

Tom King has managed to reach acclaim in the recent climate, so I don't think that's the problem.

His two comics are selling 20k and 12kk, that's not success and he's not as good a writer as Ewing.

Through his one Marvel comic.

>Priest can send a relevant message about urban violence using comics in the current political climate
>Ewing just shits retarded cosmic concepts and masturbate to chronology.

Yeah, Ewing is clearly the best one.

>What is "The Umbrella Academy"?

Priest has written one great comic his entire career and is now working on a horrible character, he has no sense of pace and his dialogue is ass.

Most whites want to read about whites. Sales suggest so.

We live in the same world where black people action figures rarely sell well.

I agree. That's why I consistently buy the epic one instead. :^)

Where did Lifebringer touch you user?

And he still is better than Ewing in all these things listed by you.

How much of a retarded do you have to be to think EWING is a master of literature?

Jared pls

I don't much care for literature. I'd rather read a good comic.

So Priest is writing a great book with a horrible character. while Ewing can't with an essemble of his favourites. Ewing must be really shit then.

Don't have to be a master of literature to be better than the lot you listed.

No wonder you love Ewing so much, illiterate fuck.

This is the average Ewing fan, folks.

You must not live in reality.

Black barbie is a poor seller. White countries have white faviorism.

Exactly. So Ewing should be able to have a breakout hit as well.

The reason he got popular was that he was one of the few writers at Marvel doing the stuff Marvel comics are supposed to do, like paying attention to continuity and the way the characters have behaved in other comics. Things that writers of the post-Bendis generation basically feel they're too good for.

Mighty Avengers was the Avengers comic that felt the most like what a "real" Avengers comic should be. That doesn't make it great, necessarily, it just means the big Avengers writers weren't doing that.

I don't think he's done something yet that really qualifies as one of the all-time great Marvel runs, but there's still time to do that, especially if the "back to basics" revamp allows him to do stories with more emotional resonance.

Comparing him to Vertigo and indie writers is a bit unfair. The real comparison is to other meat-and-potatoes superhero comics. By that comparison he's doing good, not great, at a time when few writers are even good.

t. someone who doesn't realize literature and comics are different.
I mean nothing will ever compare when judged against a metric it isn't.

congratulations
you failed the litmus test
go back to shitposting on your own board

Seriously: what is your major malfunction user?
We're here for you.

>popular
With select posters on Sup Forums. Ewing does cancellation numbers and that's all he'll ever do, especially after the embarrassing drop between US Avengers 1 and 2.

I live in one where fictional characters are entertaining for reasons other than what color they are. Novel, innit?

>This is the punctuation use of your average Ewing fan.

there is a loud minority here that shills ewing
however, the truth is, ewing SUCKS

Which doesn't sell in reality hence every book he has is axed.

Even old fiction had mostly white characters, which sold.

It's entirely accurate to say that despite not necessarily having animosity for black people, the idea of watching a black movie or television show or a reading a black book appeals to very few white people in the US. Even liberal, progressive Hollywood acknowledges this, knowing full well that having too many black persons in a cast will turn it into a "black movie" and reduced turn-out. Black Panther's going to be an interesting experiment, and it's definitely a calculated risk, that's why it's coming after so many other successful predominately white cape movies.

>Comparing him to Vertigo and indie writers is a bit unfair. The real comparison is to other meat-and-potatoes superhero comics.
This desu
I fucking love the madman but never have I called him the next coming of Moore. No shit, he ain't. He's too busy having fun. Low and behold, that attitude's endearing.
Although hey if being the only current Marvel writer with and oldschool Marvel mindset can get certain forgotten practice's foot back in the door he could have one hell of an impact.

What books has he done? I've never heard of him