Shadowland Storytime

Welcome back Anons! Last time, we finally started Parkerbolts. Today, we're taking a brief detour to read Shadowland.

So yeah, a lot of stuff happened after Bendis's run. Brubaker's run ended with Daredevil becoming the new ruler of The Hand, and Diggle's run was mostly leading up to this.

bump

If you haven't read any of this and have backstory questions, feel free to ask anything, and I'll try to answer. If not, some other kind user will probably have the answer.

>limited series
>1 of
1 of what? 1 OF WHAT?!?!

Thanks for the bump, user.

there's 5 issues

This is, presumably, VERY soon after Siege ended. A lot of books with characters we read about ran around the same time New Avengers did, unfortunately.

I know, t'was but a dumb joke

OP I'm going to have to read this after work, if it goes into another thread could you please put the link at the bottom. Thanks man for posting this, been wanting to read it for a while!

You remember the Sentry, right Anons? Blonde? Superman rip-off? Got a Thunderbolt to the face and thrown into the sun?

...And apparently he can kill from beyond the grave. That's a new trick.

Yeah, Bullseye's learned some new tricks.

>whiskey tango foxtrot
>wtf

Wow, that's impressive, even for Bullseye.

Why'd you spoil the mystery, user?

Also total bullshit, but this is a superhero comic, so

Now I know what you're thinking.

>"Why are you posting this shitty story instead of something actually good?

Because I'm a bastard.

The reason there's a feudal japanese castle in the middle of New York City, on the other hand? Well, during Dark Reign, it was brought to Norman Osborn's attention that hand ninjas that worked for Daredevil were killing cops (they were corrupt). He sent Bullseye to do something about it.

He tried capturing Bullseye by blowing up an apartment complex filled with people.

Shadowland was built by the Hand as their new fortress on the ground that apartment stood.

Shadowland seems to take place in a vague point in the timeline, after Siege, and when Luke Cage forms his own Avengers team, but before New Avengers #1 actually starts.

We've read a few books that take place after this before I found myself unable to storytime, but most of them weren't as good as Parkerbolts, so I left that for last.

Of COURSE Iron Man wouldn't get involved with a ninja army in New York, he's too busy dealing with his big "Avengers" issues...

There's going to be a few points later in this story where you'll be wondering "Why the hell aren't the Avengers getting involved? Thor isn't even ten minutes away?!"

We never get an answer for that.

In case you forgot, yeah, Bullseye was pretending to be the new Hawkeye for a while during Dark Reign.

Matt, when you get to the point where you're attaching foot long blades to the arms of your black leather suit, how do you never question "Am I still a good guy?"

Ultimate Poetry

Oh yeah, Mila. You remember how it ended in Bendis's run, right?

Well in Brubaker's run, she was was drugged by Mr. Fear to insanity, to the point where she pushed a woman right in front of a subway car, and had to get institutionalized. She's still there as far as Waid's run, where she was kidnapped from her cell to fuck with Matt, only to appear sitting in her padded room literally drooling when Foggy went to check.

Still a better costume than the current one T B H

And then he tells his army of faceless henchmen to "take him". This story has been criticized for various reasons, but keep in mind he's acting like an obvious supervillain DURING the Bullseye fight, when the shadowy cloaked guys made clear that they CAN'T corrupt him themselves.

Thank god he not wearing his tv costume.

And then there's this page.
Only letting his former allies help him if they "swear allegiance to the Hand" and that he intends to "finish this once and for all!"

Small miracles, I s'ppose.

Oh no, we have not BEGIN to see Pottery, user. Just you wait.

This.

>Bullseye just casually wrecking a small army of Hand ninjas

A Hydra agent and a hand ninja are locked in a room together. Who dies first?

>Just you wait.
Good

Fucking hell, he just slammed Bullseye's head straight through glass!

>cutting someone's head off with a pair of fucking sais
Geez, I mean, I'm used to cape comics being a lil' retarded once in a while, but this is kind of absurd.

>dislocates both shoulders

Matt isn't fucking around this time.

I was looking through desu to see if I could find Sup Forums opinions on this story. Unfortunately, desu doesn't go back this far, but I did hear people say that they wish Marvel didn't already spoil THIS page.

Wait, isn't THIS his current costume, but with more black?

>Oh no, he's going to kill that mass murderer!
Don't be such a moralfag, Danny.

Yeah, that was kind of dumb of them. I thought it was really predictable either way so whatevs.

In Daredevil, we actually see Elektra's reaction to that last page of pottery. Unlike how everyone else's reactions of horror, she genuinely tears up and says "Thank you" to the TV she sees it on.

Man, I really should read me some Moon Knight when I can, even if he's one of the more useless characters in this story.

Sorta, the logo looks less like a graffiti and he's got these dumb red handwraps and ugly boots. It's a really terrible design, and it's a shame too, because there's a lot of wasted potential there.

>Danny Rand at a soup kitchen

So now we know what Danny got into after Immortal Iron Fist ended. Granted, I don't know how this will pay for the kid he and Misty are definitely going to have because Marvel wouldn't fucking ruin that.

Is he eating a pickle or a fucking condom

Eh, Hand ninja seem to be made of paper sometimes, what with how easy they are to kill.

I never get tired of seeing people shit their pants when they try to pick a fight with superheroes, only to figure out IMMEDIATELY how outclassed they are.

Danny seems to have gotten over it faster than Luke did, at least once they're back at his Soup Kitchen. Also, given we know how wealthy he is, and he's claiming it as his, he does indeed run a soup kitchen out of Hell's Kitchen.

Heh, true. And they're supposed to be seriously deadly too.

You can't see it thanks to the shadows, but Fisk is hiding a THROBBING erection at this situation.

>Tarantula

Funny that one user just finished up with him in Spider-Girl. He joined up with Matt in Brubaker's Daredevil. He and White Tiger were killed and revived by the Hand, but his healing factor let him shrug off the brainwashing and keep his own mind, while White Tiger is a loyal follower of the Hand, but still answers to Daredevil, as their leader.

I guess when they managed to get Wolverine, they did something special.

A condom.

>Lady Bullseye

Just in case you were wondering who Kingpin's new Asian secretary was. Part of Daredevil becoming the leader of the Hand involved them kicking her out, as well as agreeing to never do any buisness for Fisk forever.

Gross, Marc.

I'd start writing down jokes for The Hand, for when you get back to Wolverine.

Yeah, THIS guy is even more irrelevant than Moon Knight to this story.

And no Underwear on the outside.

Oh shit, it feels like it's been forever since we saw Colleen Wing!

Matt, seriously, I know you use those batons to fight, but you aren't fighting right now. Pull them out of your ass.

I've never understood her design, like is she supposed to be naked, or what. Then again, she was designed by that sick fuck Djurdjevic, so

Remember this "My ninjas are under strict orders not to kill" bit.

Spidey, seriously, ninja army surrounding your friends. Not the time to quip.

Look, he did it for a REASON. He's crazy, but that doesn't mean he's dumb too.

I got halfway through a joke about how that guy knows what a dinosaur sounds like before remembering "Oh wait, Savage Land."

Honestly, if I were well read on these two, I'd probably be annoyed at how small their role is, but I've really not read anything of either of them.
Going into this as a Iron Fist and Luke Cage fan, this story isn't bad. It's as a DAREDEVIL story where it really shits the bed.

>skeleton motorcyclist vs ninjas

Honestly, just that description alone is kind of awesome.

Matt, your fortress is literally in the superhero capital of the world. Why are you so sure it's THESE guys?

wait kingpin used ninja scrolls to summon ghost rider?

So yeah, remember that whole "strict orders not to kill"?

Yeah, you can forget that now.

Is this one of those events that people wish was forgotten?

>suddenly, Punisher

>"People always wonder about the costume, wonder why the Moon Knight wears white."
>"It's so they can see me coming. I want them to be afraid."

Huh, so Ellis didn't make that bit up himself.

Mostly, yeah. Since it's one of the bigger plots that Luke and Danny are involved in, I don't mind it, but I'm admitedly very biased.

Frank Time.

Honestly, you could take these two out of the story, and you really wouldn't change much.

I'm getting Identity Crisis levels of bullshit from this

He has a tie-in, but not only will I not post it, I forget what happens. They both do, actually.

Scrolls he got from the Hand, yes. If memory serves, HIS tie-in was basically him going to the Hand's headquaters in Japan and fucking them all up to take revenge for manipulating him.

So based on Danny's statement here, under normal circumstances, Daredevil wouldn't be a match for him.

So the fact that this just happened? Foreshadowing.

>Diggle-Tan

Well, that sounds like some weird ass Arrow fan art.

This is the problem with making an event book based on street levelers on Marvel's New York. At least DC has the excuse that Gotham is the street level city and such, but Marvel's NYC not only has all of these heroes but the Fantastic Four, the X-Men (although i think they were in San Fran during this?) and the fucking Avengers. That's the problem when you put all your superheroes in the same goddamn city.

Oh yeah, and Mary's here too.

Shang-Chi looks like he's seen better days, based on how he's hanging off Danny's shoulder.

Oh, you started early again, nice.

It's not the same without the Romita hair.

And then the Punisher showed up, and started mowing down ninjas, because why the fuck not?

I kind of feel that of all the Dark Avengers, Bullseye seems like one of the ones Sentry would have little to no loyalty too.

Like, less loyalty to him than to Ares, who he ripped in half. HEY KIDS, COMICS!

>Mass murder and treason
The mass murder part I get, but when did Bullseye commit treason?

It is now past Frank Time. See you next Frank Time, for more Franking.

>Shadowland was built by the Hand as their new fortress on the ground that apartment stood.
It's pretty bullshit that the cops and heroes just let this happen though.

>Kung-Fu THIS
This is stupid.

Yeah, Ghost Rider's book never actually has him deal with Fisk.

IT'S THE HAND. WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE NOT WORRIED ABOUT THE HAND?
Why is Luke the only voice of reason?

Luke Cage: "Look how ruthless and cold blooded Matt was, stabbing Bullseye like that. You have to have limits man

One Page Later:

Smashes two homeless men's heads together, probably concussing them and worsening their mental health

If it were anyone else but Bullseye, it would be as bullshit as "Flash running into Deathstroke's sword."
But bullshit like that is almost literally his power, so it's only standard comic levels of bullshit.

So Anons, which look for Mary do you prefer? This, or the Bendis look?

Yeah, Bullseye once killed a guard whike his entire body was bound by goading him into beating him up and then spitting a tooth at him.