Times comics really surprised you

Or at least hit you in the feels

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_Khrushchev
idwpublishing.com/product/snake-tales/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Christopher Priest is amazing.

I wish I was aware of his work earlier in my life

this seems like one of the Atlas (or maybe at this point it was Marvel already?) comics from their pre-superhero era. aliens being disguised as something on Earth is a pretty common thing for these stories, so that was kinda obvious.
I guess I didn't expect the doll to turn out to be nice to them, but aliens being nice was, too, a pretty common trope for such works.
I think there were some comics from pre-superhero era that managed to surprise me, maybe I can find some of them...

>guy gets arrested for stealing the gold brick
>girl gets put into a foster home and abused

here, found this one. It's from Tales To Astonish #31, the comic series that introduced Hank Pym and Wasp, but also introduced a shit ton of stupid stories.

arrested by who? you do know people find gold on land sometimes? Why would he be arrested?

well, I guess I can credit this story for actually trying to build the mood...

but still, it's not very good...

user is just trying to be "funny" and failing.

the ending twist really is the most memorable part about this...

...mostly because it's so gloriously retarded.

is that supposed to be someone in particular?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikita_Khrushchev

This one is from Tales Of Suspense, the series that gave us Iron Man. This is a bit more surreal, and I actually like it somewhat.

I wholeheartidly enjoyed both the art and the story! I love these 60s era horror comic stories. Thank you, did not expect a ending like that.

Pretty sure they don't find a perfectly made ingot just laying around.

I believe this is from ToS #16...

Whatever, unless someone can prove they were missing something, you can;t be arrested for stealing it.

the art is most probably by Don Heck, his art style is quite recognizable.

To whoever is contributing to this thread- please could you suggest some horror comic collections? I know I could easily read these online but I prefer physical copys. Reading the tales you have shared thus far has resparked my love for this classic genre.

That actually was pretty well done. They played a horror comic pretty straight then ended it on a positive note.

another bizarre one from ToS

This will end in tears.

...So actually 'Harmless doll" would have been more appropriate.

I actually think Grant Morrison would love this story

Well shit that is not what I was expecting.
That may well be the best bait and switch I have ever seen.
Thanks for the storytime user.

Okay that was pretty good.

Im sure he could have slaughtered them if he wanted.

IIRC, some giant monster stuff from the 50-60s was reprinted later, but that's about it. Couldn't find any actual collections of short horror stories like those.

Idw recently put out a collection of old snake themed horror I was going to pick up a copy but never got eound to it.

idwpublishing.com/product/snake-tales/

wanna bet?

I liked that one

does anyone else want to know more about this race of alien mannequin people?

Is this Ditko or someone else? Kinda looks like something he may do

Well I am sure there were tears of joy.

>Rickets

Ah, they are going for some ol' timey heartstrings.

Heeeey...

Yeah but who would get to the high shelves to get him a sandwich and milk? Who?!

>the experience I got in the army deciphering messages should enable me to read an alien language

Marx, Lenin or Stalin would have been believable

>skinny kid holding gold brick with one hand
>electromagnetic energy

Her Body was bathed in fantastic power user, what comics are you reading that aliens giving a girl the ability to lift 300 pounds in one arm is just too unrealistic for you?

>science fiction = alien technology diagnoses muscle syndrome and repairs DNA as well as existing muscular and skeletal damage
>science fantasy = the medico-module has repaired you with a sound effect and some visuals!
>these godawful comics = makin stuff up at a bar over lunch and having it ready for the presses by 5

In "THE WORLD THAT'S COMING," such impossibilities are made possible! The unbelievable is the assured! But can the human spirit endure?

That 4th panel looks exactly like a Fantastic 4 panel.

This is timly right reprint when.

a panel in specific? or just in general FF panels?

It's Ditko, all right

Never thought I'd side with red skull when I was 8 now as 29 he makes more sense every fucking day.

this

Ever notice how no one ever randomly busts into your house with the cops and claims that you stole your tv from them?

It's Jack Kirby, you goons. Like shit, he drew the exact same face in every comic, this shouldn't be hard.

This was a pretty good mini series.

You are a genuine mental midget if you can't enjoy these.
>WAHHH EVERYTHING NEEDS TO HAVE A DRAWN OUT EXPLANATION EVEN IF IT MAKES JUST AS LITTLE SENSE AS A QUICK ONE
You could never work at 2000ad, you'd be a Bendis tier panel waster

Superman just say to his and Batman son to just jump into a desintegration pool and die, he never tries anything, he just says: go die.

And they do.

I've always been a Cyclops fan since long before Rightclops.
Before he became a badass he was just like me personality-wise: responsible, doesn't swear, follows the rules, high-strung , nerd, etc...
I always really identified with him. There aren't many other superheroes that are like that.
When Whedon and Cassaday put out that first Astonishing run they had that story where Scott doesn't need the visor anymore and runs around for the rest of the story without it.
That really surprised me.
I swear to God, that artwork is like looking in a mirror. I look just like that.
It was the weirdest comic experience I've ever had in my life.

This was the only Morrison Animal Man issue I liked.

....That milf doll is kind of hot

its the eyes, I think

I mean, it's the best issue. The Red Mask issue was strong as well.