So what's the deal with the origin of the Borg? I get that they're a collective of species assimilated into a hivemind...

So what's the deal with the origin of the Borg? I get that they're a collective of species assimilated into a hivemind, but where did they come from? Like where did the technology originate that made the Borg into the Borg? Did it independently evolve on some far away planet, was it created by another species and it ended up becoming sentient and taking over?

Other urls found in this thread:

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Species_125
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Species_8472
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I assume the Borg Queen invented the technology and simply began sharing it.

>but where did they come from?
too bad we dont have any real Trek shows that want to move the future forward.

V'Ger

Yeah that cueball slut from The Motion Picture = Borg Queen

But V'Ger seems to be far more innocent than the Borg. Plus, where did the beings that made V'Ger into what it was come from?

Some species with a techno boner probably took things way too far, then decided everyone else should share the fun of being 3/4 machine

>Following production of the episode "Q Who?" for ST:TNG, Gene Roddenberry half jokingly speculated that the planet encountered by Voyager might have been the Borg homeworld.
source: Star Trek Chronology, by Michael & Denise Okuda

This was used in the Shatnerverse novels, and IMO it should stay there.

It's never been explained on-screen

It's literally nanomachines, son.

Serious question is Shatner a decent writer or is he shit?

Reddit designed an app that worked with implants

This, thought it was obvious

But then it merged with assimilated a human, that could have fucked its shit up, and then it could have gone back to where it got modified and infected them with its fucked up shit.

Doesn't really matter. They're a dark reflection of the federation.
The borg are an inclusive organization that will take you regardless of race or species, thousands of species peacefully working together in a society free of crime or conflict, just like the federation. The crucial difference is that the federation embraces what it is to be human, and the differences of the individual.
The same way the Dominion was just the "Evil" Federation.

But the Federation permits individuality compared to the Borg's collectivity, how are the Dominion such a mirror?

Biggest plot hole since they forget to connect Armus to the Caretaker.

I think the common accepted premise is that the borg originated from some species that took man/machine interface way too far and got out of control.

The 'mystery' of the borg creation or where they come from is undoubtedly way more interesting than if they actually gave them a defined canon origin. Does it really matter if the 'Shafurian' race created it 1000 years ago. Do you think another 'technology run amok' story would be a satisfying episode of a star trek show?

It's kind of like the Joker from Batman. Sure, you could give him a 100% canon THIS HAPPENED origin, and it could even be a pretty good story (See: The Killing Joke), but even if it was good it would take away much more in ruining the mystery of a badass villain.

yeah i agree, it's way more fascinating with the shroud of mystery hiding their origin

Gene was dead before Voyager ever aired where the hell did that quote come from?

>hurp durp they're both powerful and sort of similar so even though one's a fucking slime and they're separated by an entire galaxy they must be related

He was referring to the Voyager probe that formed V'ger
Not the ship

Really user....

I see my mistake

#bruh

His Star Trek books were ghostwritten by the Reeves-Stevenses. As I recall they're good solid Star Trek fun. Never read anything else with his name on them.

Underrated

Borg were probably a last ditch effort to force peace by some madman and it just ran amok, probably by a pre-warp society.

I was honestly shocked at the end of Star Trek: Beyond that the villains didn't turn out to become the Borg. The woman in it even pretty much looked like the borg queen ffs.

stop being stupid, the borg queen is not even from species 001

I always thought it was stupid that the Borg used a three digit system at first. There's way more biodiversity on even one planet. I would think they would use a 10 digit system at the very least.

What's that based on?

Kilingons are like 5000-something

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Species_125

They went up to 4 at least
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Species_8472

they use that to list for all (and only) the sentient species they've found/assimilated

Yeah, but I mean you would think they would have planned ahead. Their goal is to assimilate all life and they would have known there was obviously more than 999 sentient species throughout the galaxy.

I think there is some line when they see Data about having moved beyond artificial life. I don't remember the specific quote but it always strikes me as saying that the borg were once a robot race or an AI that eventually started using organic components and using brains as parallel processors.
Like someone designed an AI to "Save our Species!" and it's answer was to make them into protoborg, and the whole thing went out of control from there.

if its fun star trek stuff I might give it a look. I heard it was alright but, I couldn't that seriously because well Shatner. Knowing it's ghost written actually makes it more appealing.

V'Ger knew about Earth, it was on a collision course with it. Seems weird it would forget it.

they have a 4 digit number, besides, they're a hivemind, it's not like they couldn't change that in a moment if they needed to

makes sense with the assimilation directive it works both ways

Given their history and their species classifications as well as historical encounters it seems there's not just a single race of Borg, and that some species mostly in the Delta Quandrant either end up in a singularity and become a new iteration assimilating the older versions if encountered, or discover the remains of Borg technology and the process starts over again.

If you go from the index they assign to species they're not very old, but going from encounters they date as far back 10,000 B.C.

It's possible there was in the beginning just one Borg species that started it off and then died away, or it could have been the sentient machine world realising they needed flesh.

The answer isn't V'Ger though, yes it was thrown into the past but no canon material has ever linked the two.

this is only canon on a star trek game's plot

It's just a nitpick thing for me. I also get triggered when I download something and it's numbered 1-10 instead of 01-10

Too bad that origin doesn't fit the current timeline of the borg, and it's from non-canon sources..

His ghost authors are pretty okay.

First Contact and the first series of Enterprise turned them into a Grandfather paradox. They undoubtedly existed in some form, but the ship they lose would have taken roughly the same length of time to get home and advance the species as the time between Ent losing it and the attack at Wolf.

that would imply the Borg are a natural evolution of species and belong on the Kardashev scale where you have a split into Borg species and non-Borg species at some point

What's the difference between 1 and 01 and 1.0?

>it seems there's not just a single race of Borg
At this point entire races have been assimilated and I'm sure they use selective breeding when making new borglets for the maturation pod.
Luckily every race in the universe is humans with a forehead appliance.
There's an episode of voyager, when Seven first comes on board, she quotes neelix his species number and mentions how their stout bodies made them excellent drone.

Someone had an iPhone and someone made an app that required a physical implant and then someone made an implant that makes new implants and someone plugged Facebook into it and then you get the Borg.

Because it causes issues with ordering sometimes. You know how:

sometimes shows up like:

I like to see:

Because it all fits into the amount of digits nicely. But I'm probably autistic which is why I'm posting in a Star Trek thread about Borg origins.

Borg don't breed

You can rename the files.

Yes but IT IS INEFFICIENT to have to do that every time you go up an order of magnitude REEEEEEEE

Its autism dont mind him

Borg have assimilated context-aware sorting mechanisms

They make test tube babies they put in maturation chambers until they're old enough to be useful drones. They don't only expand by assimilation.

"Q Who?" shows babies in growth chambers with implants hinting they either found a baby to somehow be useful in a task (suicide bombers maybe?) or they do have some kind of breeding program in place.

Those parasites from season 1 were the beginning.

I thought they were just non-borg babies that they were assimilating rather than borg babies.

they put assimilated children into the maturation pods so they can become proper drones, they could be planning on starting to breed their own stuff though

Well all babies are non-borg until they put the technology in them.

they're too old for that

Thanks again for the folks telling me about the Shat's ghostwriters. Been bored and looking for something to read instead of shit posting.

That's the point though, the Borg are humanity's worst fears of technological singularity cranked to 11. They may have started on one planet as a single people, but it appears it's more of a natural end to certain civilisations to become a technological hivemind and either assimilate one or the other. It's the natural end of a species that doesn't transcend the singularity or naturally grow outward.

"This right here is pure borg shit, it's the best man."

>a natural end to certain civilisations

But the natural end is to become Q

It says on the fucking wiki for the Borg that V'Ger made what makes it not the fuck canon are you guys dense as fuck?

The only canon for trek is live action series' and movies, not Gene's drug inspired ramblings or even worse Star Trek Online

only for some, the few that can think outside of what they perceive as facts and transcend their own reality are destined to eventually become a species like Q, if the Q did actually start out as a species and not as just gods in another dimension.. but still, there are others that fail that test and rely only on what their technology can provide, and in the end they become shitposters.

then tell them to take it off the official canon wiki if it's not canon and if its not canon why bother writing books and bullshit to reference if all that matters is the fucking show

That's one possible end. We're on Sup Forums so we would all end up as the shitty cast off tar monsters on an abandoned planet.

>why bother writing books and bullshit to reference if all that matters is the fucking show

>think outside of what they perceive as facts and transcend their own reality
>TIL Trump supporters are becoming Q

At the time "Q Who" was produced, the back story regarding the Borg increasing their numbers through assimilation was not yet developed. Therefore, Riker's description of the nursery indicates that the Borg reproduced with each other, their babies born as organic lifeforms, and then (after birth) enhanced with mechanical devices. This was later disproved by several episodes of Star Trek: Voyager, which stated that the Borg expand their numbers through assimilation only (see Seven of Nine's quote about the fetal Borg below, for example), capturing babies and children and then placing them in maturation chambers to accelerate their growth.

From Memory Alpha. Looks lie once again voyager ruins the borg.

First Contact ruined the Borg.

Well said and I'd like to add that I think an important part of the Borg's origin story is that it could have been us. What is stopping the Federation from decaying and becoming more like the Borg? That's the fear they represent.

Genuinely scarier than the Borg.

any use of them after Best of Both Worlds ruined the Borg, First Contact just pissed on the ruins, and Voyager took a large shit and buried it. They were great when used sparsely and a movie about travelling to stop the Borg VS here to stop first contact, assimilate the past to assimilate the future bullshit would be a better story. That and a Borg Queen just ruins the entire of Loctus being the first to be unique to speak..

what the hell is this supposed to mean?

Naga, no one gives a fuck. I'm just shooting the shit. You're the one quoting wiki.

It means he's a ding dong daddy from Dumas

You know exactly what it means.

Why do people say first contact and the Borg queen ruined the Borg? I didn't find anything about either of those incidents any more unique than anything before it. I hear it parroted a lot, but no explanation as to why.

>the planet encountered by Voyager might have been the Borg homeworld.

I though it was supposed to be Cybertron from Transformers. It sure looks like it.

I don't feel that First Contact specifically ruined the Borg (though I don't understand why they have time travel technology and never again use it), but the invention of the Borg Queen did. The whole idea is that they are a faceless collective where everyone is equal, but suddenly you give them a dictator and the theme is ruined.

Borg Queen means it's not a collective it's an insect hive, that's a huge problem and changes the Borg entirely.

Primus looks pretty fucked up in that rendition

I was hoping the last ST movie was going to be about the borg, but instead we got another rogue ex-federation villain.

the time travel thing was a script artifact from an earlier draft that had the borg getting completely btfo (feds were literally one-shotting cubes with the new quantum torpedoes)

>Their goal is to assimilate all life
Wrong.

Still doesn't really explain why they could time travel then and not any of the other times it could have been useful. But the same thing happened in Voyage Home so...

it was a desperate last ditch move originally, rather than a gaping plot hole

Ahhh okay, thanks senpaitachi

The Borg basically represent the path humanity is on currently, the Federation we see is more of a fantasy scenario where the melding of humanity/technology is foregone in favor of pure humans.