Can film still make you uncomfortable?

your classic uncomfy-core films like kids, irreversible and ken park are all over 10 years ago

do any recent films put you in genuine states of distress of discomfort like the new wave of cinema in the 90s and 00s?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rq13Ph4sbaU
youtube.com/watch?v=GNJUklY6NUQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dogtooth was pretty gross-feeling and I'm hearing a lot of similar reactions to The Killing of a Sacred Deer, but I live in flyover land and have nowhere to see it.

why watch uncomfy-core when you live in a flyover state.

your entire existence is suffering

I pondered the other day why the majority of books and movies I consume are miserable. I guess I just like wallowing in shit.

I HAVE NO LEGS

Gummo.

Anti Christ

it's the only movie I've ever quit watching because it made me depressed. 30 minutes of this shit made me wanna cut my fucking wrists. How anyone sat through it is a mystery to me.

I dunno Gummo just feels more muh mysticism of flyover trash
Korine's films value sensory indulgence over character, plot and consequence, like a feature length ASMR video
not that I don't like that stuff, Gummo is great for what it is, Spring Breakers is a masterpiece

it is nuts how different his own films are compared to the ones he wrote for Clark though

The last movie to make me feel like shit was a korine movie. The ending is just holy shit.

Such a bullshit AIDS scare flick.

RIP Roach

Happiness (1998)

YOU JUST KNOW

I missed out watching Kids when it came out due to all the outrage and moral panic around it. Is it any good even or at least relevant, or was the controversy all it had going for it? Is it worth watching in current year or a waste of time?

this movie was comfy as fuck, though

Its good but it's scare mongering about stds

Have you read the wasp factory?

yeah, it's very much a time capsule but the performances are so good
especially by leo fitzpatrick, considering he was only 15 at the time, he really convinces you to hate him

apparently he was harassed constantly after the film got big, people thought it was a documentary and what he was doing was real

>I CAME. :)
I thought this film was really heavy-handed and pointless.

Enter the Void, Trash Humpers

It must have been quite representative of his true character, he's so natural in Kids and all his other performances are crap. Including the ones before he got fucked up by a car

never watching this again. Fuck
if you liked irreversible you might like this, tiring to watch it again (in a good way)

No, but I've known about it for awhile. I never really made it past the synopses I'd read of it, though. They made it come across as a kind of contrived "transgressive" fiction made by someone too far removed from what they were writing. That's obviously not a fair judgment but I make pretty snap decisions on what I read.

I like writers like Peter Sotos or Celine as an older example.

I dunno, it sort of felt like the film cheats the main girl so it can have the "bad ending"

What's some beautiful uncomfy kino? It's too easy doing something like Korine and making films about ugly rednecks, what are some actually good looking stuff?

Thanks lads, I'll give it a try. I've fallen victim to too much manstream shit lately, but maybe it's as OP suggests, this kind of alternative kino is on the low these days.

I'd say that a pretty accurate assessment of the book. It's just nightmare uncomfy lit.

Ever read The Tunnel?

The wasp factory was okay, kind of contrived like you say, if you like sotos I presume you know of the buyers market recordings? If you want more upseting reading read the transcript of the moors murder tape, also here, this is the most disturbing thing I think I've ever heard.
It's cut material from the toolbox murder trial, people are walking out of the courtroom while the tape plays and as they rush out in tears or to throw up you catch a tiny snippet of the tape as the doorss open, the screams are something unlike what you hear in films. Really fucking chiling
youtube.com/watch?v=Rq13Ph4sbaU

Strange Circus is aesthetic as fuck.

youtube.com/watch?v=GNJUklY6NUQ

this film is a 2 hour panic attack

Not exactly sure what you're asking. Maybe Safe (1995)? The cinematography is very obviously influenced by Kubrick and the extremely sterile and austere sets distance it from the kind of ugliness that people probably associate with uncomfortable films but the ambiguity of physical/psychological anguish and manipulation that occurs in the last act are incredibly unnerving.

No but it's on my list of things I want to read.

Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with the Moors Murders mostly through Sotos's obsession with them. I have Ian Brady's book but it's extremely tedious at times and the afterword material is more interesting. I've seen transcripts of the toolbox murder stuff but I didn't know that video existed. Christ.

Also I don't know if he was even aware that the trial was bunk when he made Buyer's Market but all of the McMartin stuff being false makes it the most brilliant track on there.

Interesting how nobody ever talks about the tool box murders, even in the context of extremely heinous crime. They're that horrifying. I never could muscle through reading about the details of the crimes.

yeah needed more rape

I wouldn't say uncomfortable, but a very tense 80 minutes

it goes further than you think it will

nothing recent but for completeness' sake I'll mention Bad Lieutenant (with Keitel not Cage).
Cronenberg can really push your buttons, too.

Drawing Restraint 9 was an interesting thing to watch visually but the end was one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever seen. Bonus for Bjork. Oh, and I guess Dancer in the Dark is uncomfy, too, or just VonTrier generally.

source?

fuck you fag

He's great in Bully and The Wire

I felt disgusted through the whole thing. I watched Weiner Dog as well. I really don't understand Todd Solondz, at all.

I think it's a great film but I find it hard to be disturbed by Dylan Baker's character when he's one of the comfiest actors going

This movie has un-simulated sex in it, which is cool

I thought she was just sucking a flesh colored dildo

I watched it in one night but did pause it to reach out to friends, just small talk but it was nice to know they were there. I went to bed hoping I wouldn't dream

Holy shit, did it have that much impact? I've only seen Melancholia and the dread and reminder of my mortality hit me for a few days.
How are the emotions different from Melancholia along with the tone of the movie? Dread, just loathing depression?

Kiss me I'm Polish

Enter the Void is often quite un-comfy

Raw, the sister scene in particular.

to be honest

>Make them gay for no reason
Brava, Gus

fackin pussy