When I first heard of Star Vs The Forces of Evil, I thought "oh boy...

When I first heard of Star Vs The Forces of Evil, I thought "oh boy, another crappy show to appeal to hipsters like Adventure time or SJW types like SU", but I watched it and really enjoyed it

Star isn't some boring dipshit like Finn or an unlikeable fat cunt like Steven, she's a good protagonist...but beyond that, what did this show get so right to appeal to me that those shows didn't? Anybody else feel similarly?

Other urls found in this thread:

knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Star isn't some boring dipshit like Finn or an unlikeable fat cunt like Steven
No, she's instead an annoying LOLSORANDUM cuck.

>what did this show get so right to appeal to me that those shows didn't?

She's kawaii as fuck

Disney instead of cn

That show is unbearable to watch. Can't really see what people manage to find in it.

Because Marco and Star are actually well written and well thought out characters that you can get invested in rather quickly.

Its got an appealing looking art style with some really neat background art.

The show's music direction, under Brian Kim, is insanely good. The music, its sheer variety and the way its used sparingly is a huge part as well.

Besides that, I feel like its one of those shows that you'd think was awful, but if you actually watch it, you realize its got so much more to it.

Its also a heavily inspired work. The lead of the show is borrowing stuff from all over the place in anime and media and presenting it in a new package for the western world.

This show just straight up surprised the hell out of me. It appears to be juvenile but then ended up being so much more. I can't say I've felt that way since... THAT show came out.

>SJW types like SU
again this meme
k

>boring dipshit like Finn

Screw you user, Finn was a decent character in the first 4 seasons of AT.

The show has a Monty Python and a fucking Charles Manson reference in it.

That alone raises its rating

Star is a cuck like Finn though

>Show about three lesbian moms raising a retarded boy with a absentee bum for a dad
>Not SJWbait
ok

And what is he in the more recent seasons?

>I can't say I've felt that way since... THAT show came out.
Ahh, so you truly are a kindred spirit to me, the OP, hmmm? I too find there is nothing to neighsay about Star Vs

I have to say I also liked Gravity Falls

No, the show is mediocre at best. It only gets so much praise because of dumb waifufags and cuck fetishists.

Someone post the Sup Forums thread, I dont save shit like that.

Lots of adult jokes too (kissing hole rimjob joke, Starfan13 looking up Star's skirt, Ferguson forced by Marco to blow the rape whistle, never go with a predator to a second location, Janna stalking and spanking Marco and saying his ass smells nice, Marco holding Star's hand while he and Jackie are air-fucking.. lots more).

>she's a good protagonist
Until they decided to go and give her a crush on Marco simply because Tween Drama.

but thats what leading her to be evil. God I hope they go full in with that. I am hype.

>people actually needlessly care more about this kind of stuff than anything else

So flimsy justification for going evil just because, then.

I'm assuming this is basically the new Star thread, so spoilers ahead:

>Marco gets excited about Love Sentence playing Star and Marco's second favorite song
>Jackie immediately notices this, grabs her man, proclaims the song as her favorite Love Sentence song, and starts dancing

There were so many subtle things going on in this last episode. What do you guys make of the fact that Marco sang the "just friends" line with Jackie as well as Marco?

>jilted love and jealousy
>not the oldest reasons in the book for someone to turn evil
>implying

We talk a lot about the good chemistry between the protagonists CUTE AND PERFECT and the LORE and the waifus, but I feel like a lot of us are quick to forget the show works primarily because the show's sense of humor is, well, funny. The jokes themselves are often clever and the VA is well-delivered. See pic.

I've gone back and rewatched season 1, and found myself laughing out loud several times. Star's such a lovable fuckup!

TAKE IT BACK! TAKE IT BACK!!!!

How could you insult best girl like that?

It was literal with Star and ironic with Jackie.

>missing the fact that Jackie said its her favorite song, but Star and Marco declaring at the same time its their second favorite song.

GEEETTT OUTTA TOWNNNN

A still pretty good one.
People don't really give the show enough credit for organically developing his character like it has, I can get why people could just consider it making him more boring but I can't think of a recent cartoon MC with as good character development as Finn's had.

I saw it for the first time today. Cute show, not bad for kids.

How can this Mary Sue appeal to anyone? I've watched 2 episodes of the show and every single moment was like "OMG, look at Star, she is so cool and random". It gets annoying pretty quickly.

That's great buddy but your blog post didn't need its own thread

I don't think you know what a Mary Sue is, Star fucks things up constantly...a Mary Sue is a character who can do no wrong whatsoever, please stop using words because you heard somebody else use them

The show increasingly focuses on her fucking up and facing the consequences of her actions as it progresses (more in the second season than the first, but both have it to some extent).

Some negative traits that are treated like jokes eventually get major focus.

It wouldn't have been as bad if Star's romantic feelings for Marco didn't just come completely out of left field

he's got to be talking about Avatar

Anyway, you get the point. A character that is given traits that are appealing to basically everyone.

Star is cute. Autistic, but cute. The show itself is nothing special. The last episode was tween drama garbage.

Didnt seem out of left field to me. Star's relationship with marco can be seen as platonic love or a subtle crush depending on your preconception imo.

before the reveal i mean

You know, I'd have to watch a little more than 2 episodes to judge an entire series. But thats just me.

It's Thor the Animated series by way of Invader Zim. What's not to love

They've been living with each other for months, and have a weekly movie nights where they snuggle under the same blanket.

Also the blood moon ball.

What more is needed for someone to get a crush?

They've been through a lot together, and it's completely normal and common to only realize your true feelings for somebody once they're no longer available.

>A likable character is a mary sue
You can't make this up.

>Star Butterfl-Ai

Princess Star Butterfly falls in love with Marco Diaz.

Unable to confess, she is gifted by a deus ex machina with her best friend's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, she immediately calls him, and is overjoyed to find out that he has a crush on her as well.

But, the next day, when Star recounts the previous day's confessions to Marco, he only looks at her with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, she finds out that the boy she called is not the same boy she fell in love with. In fact, Diaz doesn't exist in this universe at all. The other Marco is the alternate universe counterpart of her crush, who has fallen in love with her AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of his crush.

Hijinks ensue as they strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip each other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

I remember someone pointing out that Camping Trip, an episode not long before her crush was revealed, showed her giving Marco random side glances without him noticing, seeming happy they were alone, etc., and were using it as evidence as her being attracted to him.

At the time I thought it was maybe just a coincidence and reading too much into it was shipper bullshit, but then the crush reveal happened a few episodes later.

Also the section about Marco in her diary, her reaction in Blood Moon Ball before she realized the masked stranger was him, etc. I think they've built it up pretty well before stating it outright.

>Appeals to everyone
>Half the fans on Sup Forums dislike her or at least enjoy seeing her suffer

That's just part of the cuck meme fun

Already a thing.

knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

Nice dubs. Checked.

Make one for her.

Yeah i guess there was more foreshadowing than I thought. What crazy alternate universe is this where a kids show can make teen romance compelling?

>Dubs G-Ai

Patrick Bateman falls in love with his dubs.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with dub-finding bot. Never minding the strange repeating digits, he immediately uses it, and is overjoyed to find out that the dubs have a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he engages in more dubs getting ways, he instead acquires singles. Confused by these turn of events, the Wall Street businessman investigates and finds out that the dubs he made is not the same dubs he fell in love with. In fact, the dubs don't exist in this universe at all. They are dubs from an alternate universe, who has fallen in love with the MC's own psycho self, who too is blissfully unaware of their crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While they shitpost all over Sup Forums, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of DUBS.

Nice trips. Checked.

Nice dubs. Checked.

Haven't watched the show, I always assumed they are a couple since cartoons tend to make opposite sex protagonists love interests all the time

>Nice dubs. Checked.

Their a couple alright.

A COUPLE OF BEST FRIENDS.

Wasn't talking about the show in general, I found it quite ok. Star is what makes it hard for me to watch though.

>>Nice dubs. Checked.

>>Nice dubs. Checked.

I'm an SJW and I approve of this show.

Oh well. The meme magic had to end at some point.

Fuck you
and
Fuck you

They're the best couple of friends

total probability: .1^4x.01 = .000001= one in a million = magic

The lolsorandumb aspect of Star was significantly downplayed after the first few episodes, though.

I feel like it worked fine to emphasize star's personality early on.

>Star casts a spying spell
>Glossaryck tells her "spying leads to crying"
>Star calls Marco a creep for spying on Jeremy
>Star continues to use dark spying magic
>Marco learns to do the honorable thing

it's like poetry I don't think Disney Channel is going to allow Star to become actually evil though, even if she would be redeemed afterwards

kek

>Jackie Lynn Thomas likes this

Damn, when I read that I assumed that was the plot of a real anime and was excited to see it. It sounds awesome.

Star is cute, the show is pretty okay, but honestly I don't care so much about the overall story. I think this is what weebs feel like when they watch their shitty anime just to see their waifu. I just watch it for her.

of course they wouldn't. it's still season 2.

I don't really care about the story either, I'm just entertained by the show, which is all it's really supposed to

And while Star is extremely cute and pretty much everything I'd want fapwise on paper, after watching the show I'm not really all that into her for sexual so it's not just that for me either

I was excited for this show since before it came out. I was enjoying it even when the beginning threads were full of people complaining about her voice. The Blood Moon Ball scene was great. But I dropped it after "By the Book". I just hated every episode in season two too much to continue.

But I see so many threads about it here and people seem more hyped than ever. Maybe I should pick it up again.

I got you.

Finn was never interesting, he also became more annoying as the series progressed. Seeing him depressed and broken were the only times the show was enjoyable. Finn, UG, Steven(1st and 2nd season), Ash, the Hulk(1980s television version), Johnny Test, and Ottis are perfect examples of annoying, worthless, and overall shitty protagonists that have to rely on CONSTANT AND UNNECESSARY RANDOM SCREAMING as a form of comedy. Why anyone would love these characters, I will never know.

You mean the one where they explain how the show is actually 'redpilled'?

Did you see what she did to that bunny pirate?

She's pretty evil all ready. Just more downplayed Rusy evil instead of Monarch-tier

I just want Star to fuck the mexican kid so I can finally kill myself

Nobody cares, Go die.

Yeah, that's not going to happen. Jackie is officially Marco's 10/10 waifu. All the fun of Star without all the needless trauma.

She gets cucked super hard. For all her magic ability that she hasn't worked for and her fighting instinct that she was born with and the royal family she was bred from it still can't help her from getting her crush stollen right out from under her.
Fucking hilarious stuff, though I liked the show before that.

People and beings consistently die on screen in this show, and it makes little attempt to act as if it's a big deal - It's hilarious. Star Vs is hot right now because the creator actually has the balls to accomplish a story that a lot of viewers can revel in. The plot actually has impact, and we aren't usually reverted back to status quo, although it has happened (Adventure Times failings).

The emotions the show tries and runs through you can often work in the 11 minute format, and you can feel empathy for a 2D animation because the emotions can feel real and not forced (Steven Universe often times). You don't go on an up and down rollercoaster of happy, sad, happy, sad like SU, and for that the emotions don't seem as fake.

The story actually punishes the characters for their flaws (not always, but more often than not), and you don't get the same buttblast that Gravity Falls created when they left Mabel as a perfect girl who did no wrong. Whereas Star is consistently punished for her her mistakes and has to go by a trial through fire type deal, more often than not.

Just think about it. I know a lot of what I said is subjective above but that's what it feels like for me. Actual payoff and good writing (as good of writing as you can get off a childrens cartoon).

>death on screen
>story with depth
You're talking about the wrong disney show then, friend. Star only plays with the ideas. Other shows have actually used them effectivelly.

Name some and I might be inclined to agree with you. And no, there are plenty of deaths onscreen done in comedic ways.

He can't name any because he's just a contrarian.

Tron Uprising has a story with more depth as well as more frequent on screen deaths and more severe fashions of dying.

Fuck you dogfag, I shouldn't have to spoon feed you and the fact that you know so little that any opinion other than yours defaults to contrarian is telling.
>goes on a board for comics and cartoons
>demonstratably doesn't watch many cartoons
Your a fucking cancer

>comparing Star Vs to Tron Uprising

What's next? Comparing Dan Vs to Transformers Prime? Comparing Clarence to Dragonball Z? Your autism is bad.....and also, it's you're* not "your"

Considering you stated an opinion without giving any references to back up your argument, you basically said "dere are som shows tat r better than star vs." Name some you pathetic retard instead of spazzing out when someone asks for references to further back your own basic opinion with no helpful information to make one inclined to agree with you.

Second, when I said deaths you obviously are thinking I was using deaths in Star Vs as serious, when in reality I was talking about the comedic parodies of how monsters, puppies, goblins, and beings die in Star Vs as a comedy act that doesn't even highlight the afterthought on them dying. It's comedic skits, not drama death scenes dumbass. You'd obviously know that if you watched Star Vs entirely.

Also trust me, Tron got cancelled cause it was shit. Next time you should give some references on what shows are better in your opinion because that's how an average adult discusses things - intelligently.

>durrr this show not as good as others. Deres my opinion, now agwee with meh

Retard.

>makes a statement about creator having balls for story depth and on screen death
>compare to another show to suggest that it really doesn't do anything to push the envolope in that sense
>another disney show even
Thanks for the typo pick up. I noticed too. Funnily enough it doesn't help your case- which amounted to 'autism'.
>clarence to DBZ
Incredibly unrelated
>Dan vs. to TPrime
Perhaps if you were talking about what the Hub was letting people get away with in regards to themes.
Also as a thanks for the typo pickup: don't use '...'. It makes you look like an idiot and something of a newfag.

No, you're autistic because you're comparing different genres of fiction and expecting the same standard

Star vs is essentially a comedy show, not an action show...autistic people usually don't understand things like this, you probably think you should judge fucking Lion King by the same standards as the Terminator

...because you have autism...

>shows that are better
No, I specifically discussed the quality and presence of particular content. Content that was praised in the first post.
>name some
Why the fuck would I? The entire point is that StarVFE is nothing special interms of story depth and on screen death. It's something that is self evident if you've watched a good number of shows. That's the whole point of contention. Anons who are only into a couple of shows pretending theirs is special due to lack of prior knowledge.
Every filthy fucking show with a general does it. SU thinks that it's special. Gravity Falls did too.
>oh they're pushing the boundaries. Look at this, isn't it mature. How about this joke for the parents.
I mean I like Star plenty but don't be a fucking sperg about it. It's just another show.

Can you stop being retarded. Sort of facepalming from your autism.

I never said the show had depth you sperg. You're creating strawman arguments when in reality you flipped out over my mention of COMEDIC DEATHS USED IN COMEDIC SKITS, as dramatic storytelling devices in Star Vs. Your reading comprehension is utter shit my friend. Also note that you responded to me first, so the fact that you initiated the conversation means you need to state your argument. I didn't even read the above replies, yet you pretend I'm actually invested in this thread to read it all? Link your other posts then you gigantic autistic sperg, instead of pretending everyone already knows your arguments. You're really pathetic lol, it's hilarious.

I just read your guys argument, and where the hell did you state your in depth arguments? Your post below is just an opinion you dumbass. How about stop posting, you're obviously underage.

>post about creative freedom and elements that make up a show
>generes suddenly matter

>SVFE is a comedy
Not really. It relies on continuity heavily, features and emphasises characterisation and action for the meat of the show.
>b-but it has jokes
What's next marvel trash movies are comedies? They're action flicks with humour. You'd be hard pressed to find much media at all without elements of comedy.
>Lion King Terminator
Yeah a kids drama against an adult action. That's what Tron Uprising is now? Fuck you're retarded.

Sort of fuck off back to your general, faggot.

It's hilarious because we can tell that you're mad and won't accept that you made a huge error in reading comprehension. It's okay autist, we understand.

>underage
That's rich given the other guy was lauding over onscreen death as a point of interest.