Judge Dredd thread!

Judge Dredd thread!

Which is your favorite Dredd story?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/834438099933368321
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The one where he scowls

I liked the storyline where he was Sheriff of the moon.

both movies are really shitty

Do you have a license for that opinion, citizen?

Probably the Apocalypse War. Though the jaw dropping art of Total War was also great. I do also love stories where Dredd takes more of a leadership role like The Pit and Tour of Duty, they're just a nice change of pace from the usual street action.

It's a tough life being a 2KAD reader when your own fav characters are out to get you.

America

The Day The Law Died is pretty great

Apocalypse War, baby. Though I also love Necropolis and its gorgeous fully painted Ezquerra art. And Revolution for how relentlessly brutal Dredd and the judges act. And America because it's fucking America.

Probably the Supersurf 9 (?) arc (illustrated by Cam Kennedy) that ends with him being led into the h-wagon by Dredd as the crowd chants his name (Chopper's, not Dredd's!). First comic to make me cry. I also have a soft spot for John Cassavettes Is Dead. One of those one-off's where Dredd is hardly in it from the late eighties/early nineties.
Also I guess Dead Man counts? I spent last weekend at my ex-gf's house and her new bf is like my new best friend, we were talking about Dead Man and the reveal and Supersurf 13--dude knows his 2000ad and all the big Brit writers poached by DC.

there's a ton of stories I like, but there are three that's always stuck with me during the years.

First is the first appearance of the Fink. Him and Mean Angel are really fucking good villains, but the Fink just stood out more to me.

Second is "Nosferatu: write his name in Blood", because it was the first ever strip of Dredd I ever got my hands on, and it was scary, freaky and so damm cool.

The third one is a hard choice, but I have to go with the Day the Law died. It's just so memorable.

Very hard choice.

I'm gonna say Cursed Earth because nobody has said it yet, and because of how ridicolously creative it is.

Trifecta

it's probably this one. I'll dump the whole of it.

So far the second Judge Death one.

god, I wish posting times weren't a minute long. Makes for slower dumps.

and the five page continuation.

end

Chopper's a really, really good character. Being a nobody in a city of nobodies who dreams of being somebody (and somebody free) makes him intensely relatable, and being a criminal but a relatively harmless one means he can work as a perfect foil for Dredd and co. He's a good guy in a strip with precious few complete good guys.

Man, much as I love McMahon's blocky, almost cubist art, those early Cursed Earth and Day the Law Died pages are so fucking raw. Love 'em.

Thanks for the storytime!

You put that so well. Btw I was on about the right Supersurf, yeah? 13 was the bloody one with the snipers and spiked tunnels and shit, right?

Lel @ Dave Gibbons slagging off that one McMahon Caligula drawing with him holding the goldfish bowl above his head--"Mike, it's rubbish!" on the Toothy documentary. Gibbons really is a fucking sweetheart. First time I met him in '91 I was really lucky to get a Martha Washington sketch from him, he was just supposed to be signing but he literally pointed to the first seven or eight people in the queue, and I was the last he pointed to. I've shown the sketch on here loads, if you wanna see it let me know. He musta used a fucking good pen 'cause it's stayed really black after all these years. Oh--and I hadn't read Watchmen at that time. All the dudes ahead of me were asking for all these weird characters I'd never heard of...

Pretty sure so, yeah. And that whole story of "Judge Cal holding a goldfish bowl over his head" had me in stitches too. Glad to hear Gibbons is so cool!
There's a Blu-Ray version of the docu coming soon. Apparently, it's gonna have about 6 hours of bonus material. Get. Hype.

The Beeney Arc is pretty good, if weird

Sensitive Klegg is good too, not enough aliens in Dredd mucking up the city

Dang that was good.
The art is marvelous.

Good choice, user!

That was great. Especially when he jailed his whole partay and himself for night disturbance or what it was.

that is one of the reasons I like it so much.
that and the fact that it's just more or less a regular disease in that universe, despite how fucking horrifying it is.

Which one is this?

its really hard to pick, the whole lead into necropolis adn the even itself are fantastic,like ten plus years of build up.

But at the end of the day, i guess the Pit would be my choice.

Favorite was the first Dredd short story I read.

It was the Boing story, however.

It's completely stupid in context and could be seen as a really dumb metaphor for recreational drugs.

Still like it though.

Might as well storytime it just to show how absurd it is.

And that's it.

Doubt Boing would become popular in real life, if it could be manufactured at all.

SIX FUCKING HOURS?!?! Holy shit. HYPE CONFIRMED
Gibbons sketch

>Apparently, it's gonna have about 6 hours of bonus material
source?

>not like this...

Gets me every god damn time.

Decided to finally pick up my first 2000ad since it was the 40th anniversary and holy shit, I've been missing out for too long. Definitely going to pick up more Nikolai Dante and Zombo.(The others were good, but those two really grabbed me)

What I want to ask is how's the quality of the progs coming out currently? I've heard they aren't so great and i'm wondering if they'll be worth my money.

I like the short stories that leave a big impact.

Like bury my knee at wounded heart. I don't think there's a single person that could dislike that one ;__;

I'm in the same boat as you, just picked up the progs this year, all I read before was introductory Dredd, but holy shit is Nikolai Dante fun.

I've downloaded some Strontium Dog but I'm not really sure how to get into it, and I'm hunting for some kind of download of Indigo Prime, but so far nada.

I'd recommend the 2000AD ABC that they're currently doing on YouTube if you want a nice introduction to some of their lesser-known stuff, but their presenter, the head of publicity, is such an annoying hipster it puts me off.

My favorites have already gotten some love here, so I'll give a mention to Inferno by Millar/Morrison

No. Not a good story.

It's full of inconsistencies and bad pacing. Such wasted potential.

twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/834438099933368321

Current progs are pretty damn good. That said, there's a lot of swing in line-ups and there's still a couple of duds here and there, but the current line-up is damn nice.

Gonna storytime some of my favorite Dredd comedies.

V

I really like the Batman crossovers. Might not be my favorite Dredd story but they're pretty crazy.

I loved the Judgement on Gotham story

My niggers, I'm rereading them right now actually

At what point does flatulence become criminal?

Blood of Satanus.

Judges know. They have a nose for this.

Considering I started reading 2000AD in August it has become literally all I read. How can the big 3 all still be so fucking childish and boring by comparison?

300 seconds was a really good one prog story from last year.

Dredd and the artists/writers mastered 6 page storytelling. They can tell more in 6 pages than most American comics can in a full 20+ page issue.