So now that it's confirmed, what can the TRUE Tolkien fans expect from this?

Other urls found in this thread:

deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/
ew.com/books/2017/11/13/lord-of-the-rings-three-fantasy-novels-better-tv/amp/
forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2017/07/19/john-boyega-criticizes-game-of-thrones-for-lack-of-diversity/#1cbcca33137c
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Whatever the fuck they do, just hope they
1.) Follow the source material. Not word for word, that'd be impossible, but no OC. NO writers team working a 9-5 in a studio is going to outdo Tolkein, so don't bother. Remember that post on Sup Forums comparing LoK to LOTR and the angry Shitposter.

2.) Do not-- DO NOT-- insert politics or current events into the series. Middle Earth is a world separate from our own. You're gonna piss off a LOT of fans if you have an [insert character is gay] [insert Donald Trump-esque character] etc in the plot. Just don't fucking touch politics, just don't.

3.) Production value. This shit is gonna have to be at least 10 times as expensive as Game of Thrones if you even want it to look satisfactory half the time. The showrunners are gonna have to put in the same love and effort that Peter Jackson and his crew put in for the Films. People are gonna be searching for errors EVERYWHERE.

Thoughts?

What else is there?

Diversity and quips

Yes, these three points are a million times more important to me than the skin tone of some character, not that I expect Sup Forums to let up on that topic for one nanosecond once promotion for the series starts up.

This is going to have a diverse cast. You better expect it to prepare your anus or just stop following this new adaptation altogether.

It's a GoT competitor there to pick up the fallout from when the series ends in a year.

It's a strategic move that will probably fail as they try and make it much more like GoT than LOTR without understanding why either was a success.

What I want - Peter Jackson's LotR without the schlock action and major story edits, throw in a lot more dialogue/character development.

What I expect - A show that doesn't even adapt LotR, somekind of prequel inspired more by GoT than LotR, with alot of forced diversity, politics, quips, grrl power elves etc.

there will be at least 1 black character, a gay character, some trans references, with themes about how much better women are then men.

if you dislike any of those things you're a misogynistic pig and should die. :)

each chapter adaptation must be 3 hours long

17 hour scene of elf assfucking

It's probably going to be atrocious, mediocre at best. It's literally impossible to be as good as the movies.

it will be set before the movies, probably an adaption of some part of the simalarion

>YFW they butcher Howard Shore's score

Frodo and Sam's friendship will be turned explicitly homosexual. Elves, "the fairest of them all", will be black. Etc, etc. This will be praised as an improvement on Tolkien's "archaic" work, and Tolken's supposed bigotry will be let known in popular media, including his traditional views.
But worst of all, Gen Z and young millennials will be experiencing LoTR for the first time ever, since they're all too young to have bothered with the original films and their 10+hour runtime, like with BR2049. They'll then post on Sup Forums and spew their rancid opinions.

>alot of forced diversity, politics, quips, grrl power elves etc
This disgusts me on so many levels. They'll announce the WE WUZ castings, there will be some level of butthurt even amongst normalfags, then everyone will forget about it once it airs. I fucking hate this.
They're going to ruin everything.

I hope they reverse gender, ethnicity and make it complete opposite while throwing in funny marvel quips and female empowerment moments, if they're gonna throw in "diversity" then i want it to happen at the worst level.

They're going to reintroduce the Kingdom of Dale, where everyone will instead be sub-Saharan black in appearance, except for the women of course who all be fair-skinned with blonde or red hair and blue eyes. The male/female ethnic makeup being maintained over the years by the sorcery of the great Semitic wizard Rosenblaat the Red from his distant tower in the Orocarni beyond Rhûn.

A shitty adaptation that will focus more on being politically pleasing than being a faithful work of tolkien

But they don't have the rights to film any material from the Silmarillion. Maybe it'll be stuff taken from the annals? Or just a fanfic set in Middle-Earth?

Thank god its a prequel and not a retelling of the books. I would have been pissed.

Dark elfs

Just so people don't get confused like last thread;

It's a PREQUEL not a remake.

Gandalf will probably be in it since he's an immortal angel, but don't expect any other characters from lotr. Maybe some of the elves.

Amazon paid a quarter billion USD for the rights from the Tolkien estate.

They are planning multiple seasons and multiple series.

anime is degenerate

>They are planning multiple seasons and multiple series.

Just write in Shadow of Mordor pls

>They are planning multiple seasons and multiple series.

>“Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings.”

I genuinely believe the elves will be a racially diverse more than the other races

>deadline.com/2017/11/amazon-the-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-multi-season-commitment-1202207065/

>In its quest to launch a hit fantasy series of the Game of Thrones caliber, Amazon has closed a massive deal — said to be close to $250 million — to acquire global TV rights to The Lord of the Rings, based on the fantasy novels by J.R.R. Tolkien. The streaming service has given a multi-season commitment to a LOTR series in the pact, which also includes a potential spinoff series

Multiple seasons.
Multiple series.

WE

JUST POZZ MY TOLK-HOLE

It's a prequel that follows a new story. The cast will be one female human, a black elf, a female elf, a dwarf that is gay, and something stupid like an orc that's good for some reason.

Black washing
Needless female power fantasies
Terribly modern view points and references to current events

Most likely, fuck

>no OC.
>Gondolin elves were black

children of hurin when

It should start out very comfy with occasional horror, almost as if the first season of Twin Peaks went for a hike. Then the action kicks up as the Fellowship sets out from Rivendell. We get more time to connect with all the characters, so the death of Gandalf still hits hard and the death of Boromir hits audiences harder than ever. Then politics start to seep in, and we get a better look at minor characters whose names the audience wouldn't remember from the films. Overall, the extra screen time allows the makers to produce an adaptation more accurate to the books while still being entertaining.

Oh wait, OP wants to know what can we expect? A poor attempt to ape Game of Thrones' success. The diversity will (at first) be more subtle than what most anons are suggesting. It might make it to the end of the story but the quality drop by then will make us wish it hadn't.

I'm probably going to stop coming to this board when it airs, The Hobbit was bad enough but I never liked it as much as LOTR so I didn't care, seeing Idris Elba as Legolas and hearing a quip from Frodo every two seconds will kill my soul.

>Amazon has its hands on LOTR

i hope it fails, i hope it blows a ton of money for amazon, i hope bezos gets hit by a car

>Bezos gets hit by a self-driving car delivering an Amazon package

>multiple seasons and multiple series

>first they came for the Hobbit, but I was not a fan so I didn’t care
It’s people like you why the holocaust happened

A Low-Fantasy adaptation. I guarantee they will prioritize the dirt and grime, and profane elements of life rather than the transcendent elements of the story. And they'll justifying by saying they're making Tolkien more "real". Post-modern art is about bringing the ugliness of the world front and center, thrusting as cock, balls, and asshole of The Real into everyone's faces.

Unless the production team is EXPLICITLY dedicated to the presentation of Tolkiens literary themes (unlikely, especially any religious, or cosmological elements), it's just going to be Game of Thrones with Orcs.

Asian Regoras

>What do your narrow eyes see?

The Black Numenoreans will literally be black.

>Do not-- DO NOT-- insert politics or current events into the series
That's exactly what's going to happen and you and I both know it.

They're "going to explore the overlooked life of the everyman" in Tolkien's world and focus on a bunch of nobodies who suffer every episode because GoT proves that people prefer edgy fantasy over uplifting fantasy

Even if they went the uplifting route, it'd probably end up more like Xena & Hercules : Middle Earth edition.

pure unadulerated trash, if the hobbit movies are of any indication of any future Tolkein adaptaions.

GoT isn't even fantasy though. It's just realism cloaked by a fantasy theme. How is politics and people talking constantly "Fantasy"

Think they'll have nudity and edgy bullshit? One of the things that make the movies special is the purity of the characters

The sad truth. Even if they kept blacks out of the cast and quips out of the script it's going to be a low-brow, "realistic," hyper-violent drama. Might as well call it the Real Housewives of Hobbiton, shit is going to be horrible.

ew.com/books/2017/11/13/lord-of-the-rings-three-fantasy-novels-better-tv/amp/

Fucking lmao. People are already clamoring for "muh diversity"

isn't it enough they already ruined my favorite children's book of all time?

>forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2017/07/19/john-boyega-criticizes-game-of-thrones-for-lack-of-diversity/#1cbcca33137c

>I'm going to be standing in line at the grocery store in 5-10 years and see "Arwen bares all in midseason finale!" on the cover of some shitty magazine

worked for GoT

I don't see a problem

>Amazon package contains a new, modern fire stick customer bought some could enjoy the new LOTR series

Diversity

And it's going to be hilarious.

>Hopefully, this new series will take the opportunity to diversify the mostly white and male roster of Middle-earth heroes.

>The series is both diverse (the female protagonists are not white; their oppressors are)

>Le Guin’s Earthsea is diverse; Ged himself has “red-brown” islander skin, and his closest friends are black. That diversity isn’t just skin-deep, either. The Tombs of Atuan, perhaps the best of the Earthsea books, is an in-depth exploration of how much darker (and more painful) a young woman’s journey through the world is than a young man’s

Absolute fucking cancer. What is wrong with these people? So what diversity these days is highlighting how much easier white men have it than everyone else?

According to sources like Variety, this is a different deal than the one that sold the movie rights, which only covered LOTR and The Hobbit. It could be Silmarillion, Farmer Giles, Tom Bombadil, any of it.

If they're going to push diversity, I wish they would do a side story set entirely in Haradrim featuring all black and brown people.

WE
WUZ
RANGS

Is there any interesting female character in the Tolkien universe other than the witch elf?

If I get one fucking scent of current social commentary in this series, I'm gonna lose it. There aren't many sacred things in this world anymore. The bible isn't as revered as LotR. If this is some bullshit GOT rip off with a few name drops of characters from the actual series, then this failure to be can suck my semi flaccid cock.

>3.) Production value. This shit is gonna have to be at least 10 times as expensive as Game of Thrones if you even want it to look satisfactory half the time.

You'll get Shannara levels of CGi and acting quality, AND YOU WILL LOVE IT, or else.

disgust and despair

But GoT has gotten stale. Bezos is gonna have to be careful not to fall for that trap

You can expect this to be the beginning of the watering down of the LOTR universe. They'll remake the original movies, and I wouldn't be surprised if they do it in the next 10 years. They'll make some shitty Silmarillion movie or TV series (which sounds awesome, but it won't be), they'll mine every Middle Earth history book and poem that Tolkien wrote, but then focus group it until it's not recognizable; making us all wonder why they even bothered to slap the LOTR label on it, instead of just calling it Fairy Quest: Netherventures or something.

There is literally no way this isn't going to be awful. When we tell our kids (or nieces/nephews for the >tfwnogf crowd) about how LOTR is some of our favorite movies, we'll have to clarify, no, the ones Jackson made when we were their age, and they won't know which ones we're talking about.

>Disappointment
>Rage
>Feelings of murderous intent
>eventual life imprisonment for homicide
That's how I see this playing out for me. They're going to rape all we hold dear and tell us it's better than the movies.

I was under the impression Christopher Tolkien was dead set never selling rights to Silmarillion. Like, will die before he does sort of mindset.

So basically all you want is a good film.

Well, too bad. We can't have good things in the current year.

This. What the fuck? He will sit there and bash Jackson's pretty good adaption of LOTR, but then sell out to fucking Amazon?

pls stop mr Amazon sir
you're hurting me

thats unfortunately the best case scenario

But they won't, and we're going to have a Negro Samwise and Indian Gandalf.

It's going to be the funniest shit ever.

O, and "white" Orcs as the norm.

Gandalf will be gay.

The main characters will be children.

Everyone will be vegetarian, and no smoking or drinking.

There will be sex. Gay sex, and tranny sex. And a lot of it.

There will be elves rapping.

There will be at least one massively fat girl who's "brave" and "empowered".

Orcs are "misunderstood", and there will be two plot lines - one showing the humans, elves and dwarves being taught what "compassion" and "inclusiveness" is, and a second of Orcs, at home, just trying to live ordinary lives, go to school, get sports scholarships, and will be redeemed as heros.

The government of Middle Earth will be the enemy. Subtle references to nazis will be included.

Hobbits will be relocated to refugee camps, and their land protected as swampland with endangered species.

A new form of warrior will arise, from the East - the Lawyer. They will sue the elves and Gondolin and all of the western countries for not having enough disabled access for disabled orcs from the war. They will bankrupt the West.

White men will be demonized.

lel

This deal was created and shopped by theTolkein estate themselves.

It's the rights to a television series, and spinoff series, set in middle earth before the events of the hobbit and lotr. That's it.

It's not the simarillion or anything else. It's a new story with new characters set in Middle Earth. All it shares is the setting and world building.

Think what knights of the old republic was in relation to star wars.; same setting and mythology, new characters unconnected to main story.

Congrats user you made me murderous

I'm guessing that Silmarillion is NOT part of the deal. They are making a prequel, which means to me that they only got the standard deal and have been given more leeway with what they can invent for the series, ie new characters and storylines. Tolkien Estate are fucking tight with their material. They'll sell rights fairly easily, but you aren't allowed to change much.

I was under that impression, too, but he just settled a massive lawsuit over the movies, and is part of the negotiations for this project. Looks like his stance was being butthurt for not getting paid, not anything silly like principles or protecting his father's work.

I'm now waiting for him to start allowing "authorized" novels in the Middle Earth universe.

New thread

Im going to enjoy so much the shitpost on this board because all that is go8ng to happen, its gonna be game of thrones all over again

I couldn't bring myself to watch this again. It felt almost like punishment to watch the first season. It is a great mix of ideas I like and wanted it to succeed, but my god that acting and cgi.

Do you remember that demon cgi and love story? I try to forget and only remember crixus.

If that's true, I'm a little relieved. It's gonna be shit though.

I don't know, a Jersey Shore spinoff in the Shire sounds kinda comfy.

>you will live to see the day that the GoT prequel general thread and the LotR prequel general thread compete on the first page

Gandalf is openly gay
Frodo is female
Strider is black
Legolas is Asian
Gimli is Hispanic
Boromir is the only white guy and is portrayed as a backstabbing jerk.

As much as I'd like to see the Silmarillion adapted, I have zero faith that it would be done right this day and age. It's too soon after LotR movies, and if they are aiming for the GOT scene, then they've missed the mark of Silmarillion completely.

NO
TOM
BOMBADIL

If they shit up my favorite universe with blacks, spics and Asians where there shouldn't be any I will do what I must to stop it.

He'll be in and he'll be dabbing and vaping in the old forest while spinning fidget spinners to pop rap music

Does anyone actually care about Lotr?

Sam is now a BBW woman of colour.

>If they shit up my favorite universe with blacks, spics and Asians where there shouldn't be any I will do what I must to stop it.