Why were comics in 2000s so much better than 2010s?

Why were comics in 2000s so much better than 2010s?

Barrack Hussein Obama ruined everything.

Because you're like 20 and still don't know what nostalgia is.

Identity politics have gotten bigger.

Because wide scale sjw pandering and virtue signaling wasn't the primary marketing strategy back then.

They weren't there are always amazing comics and if you aren't reading them you aren't looking hard enough

Says the honorary member of a non-existent team.

Marvel

Secondly it is natural to have more fondness for character specific comics (ala Big Two stuff) when you first get into reading.

So if you are continuing to only read that stuff it would make sense that over time they would do things you would not agree with in changing up characters probably.

They weren't, you just don't read the good ones.

I'm not talking about just that.
Off the top of my head 2000s had stuff like
The Winter Men, Astro City, good Fables, good Invincible, Queen and Country, Rocketto, New Frontiers, good brubaker/phillips.
Now it's what? Saga? I like(d) Jupiter's circle, dead enders, and Nowhere Men but there just doesn't seem to be as much interesting/good stuff when I'm browsing the shop or online.

Because reboots out the ass.

Recently for me it has been stuff like this, great stuff every year.

>jump

25 bucks a year with what is currently running is the best deal in comics you can find

Which series do you follow?

One Piece, MHA, OPM(when it shows up) are the big ones right now, and Promised Neverland is pulling me in.

Every decade has the cream and shit. You're just forgetting the shit because even more shit has come.

Everyone bitched when civil war came out here. How retarded idenity crisis and amazon attack was. And who can forget gems like Bomb Queen?

You think people are going to remember 2010s for Civil War 2, cross, or Earth 2?

because back then, there was a crisis, and they had to go back to being sellable, otherwise they would be done. they did it, therefore they suck now

Eurocomics has been greats recently
>Shangri-la
>Lucky Luke vu par...
>Qinaya
>Lastman
>L'Été Diabolik

Surely some decades have different cream to shit ratios though.

What really matters is not the ratio, it's how much good stuff there is.

What do you think of new series?
I think U19 and Poro will stay.

Mainstream comics have definitely gone worse.
Old school Dark Horse & Vertigo>modern Image
2000s big two>current big two, even though 2000s wasn't a great era for capes.

It seems like nothing stays these days at least very few of the Jump Starts do.

I think gutting Vertigo probably has a lot to do with the current situation. Early 2000s had a lot of Vertigo attracted writers who went on to write mainstream capeshit. The industry just doesn't have the talent draw anymore, and what talent it does get is scarcely developed further.

The other big thing I think is that, as much as we ranted and raved about how shit DiDio and Quesada were, Alonso and Harras were truly scraped from the bottom of the barrel.

I think people have very rose tinted glasses these days about Vertigo and Dark Horse of that era especially depending on if they are going from things rebranded to Vertigo after the fact or things actually put out by them.

Because writers are actually writing good shit while sjw's or feminist now boycott anything they don't like.

because everything recent is always shit no matter what how old you are

But I preferred 00s over 90s even during the 00s.

90s>80s>00s>60s>70s>2010s
This is the objectively correct list for me.

>90s>80s>

If I had to do one of those mine would probably go

80s>90s>00s=10s>70s>60s

*I meant 70s>60s, not the other way around.

>no golden age

We still have Astro City now. Furthermore, Astro City is from the nineties.

Don't confuse [when you discovered something] with [when it's actually from].

You read, what, less than 1% of the total global output of comics in a year?

You aren't in a position to judge the other 99% and tell us what the ratio is.

There are too many comics in this world that come out every year, and you will never meet a person that reads even 50% of them.

Nothing wrong with that.

Esss jhay dubba yews

People try and estimate all the time if media is better at time A or time B.

They shouldn't.

You pedants forget that if there is such a thing as quality, than there must be some time periods that are better than others.

They had editors that did their jobs.

How will you measure this if you don't read all the comics?

How will you measure this if you don't read half of all the comics?

How will you measure this if you don't read even a tenth of all the comics?

SJWs hadn't seeped into everything.

Bendis wasn't writing everything in Marvel and there weren't 20 Avengers books.

Social media wasn't a thing.

Take a sufficiently sized random sample of comics.
Math figured this out a long time ago.

Once again, some time periods are better than others. You don't need to read every comic in existence to understand that concept.

Her head reminds me of an acorn.

Alternatively, just let time filter out the useless excess and enjoy what's left.

But your size isn't sufficient, and your sample isn't random, since you pick and choose what to read in a nonrandom fashion.

The quality exists, but nobody is measuring it.

There are sooooo fucking many comics released every year. You have no sense of scale if you don't understand this. Nobody reads them all, and nobody reads """enough""" to accurately measure overall quality.

>Why were comics in 2000s so much better than 2010s?

The fuck are you talking about? Marvel was in such dire straight in the late 90's and early 00's that thy had to create the Ultimate universe to modernize. Quesada basically pulled them from the fire and gave them linewide focus.

DC was not doing much better.

Image had probably 1/10 of their output that they do now.

Comics now are exactly as they've always been with the Big Two simply being more corporatized than ever. All their competition are producing higher quality stuff.

Comics were just as bad in the 2000's as they were now, it's just a different kind of suck.

Your opinion means nothing because you haven't read every single comic in existence.

2000s had some good and bad stuff for comics the worst being the endless events and mega cross overs

That's correct though.

Your opinion only means something when it's about comics that you've actually read.

Your opinion is meaningless when it comes to comics that you haven't read.

How is this hard for you to understand?

The best was also mega-crossover ironically.

> why am I a shitty nostalgiafag millennial

Remember the 90's?

I just realised all of the Unholy Trinity came out in the 2000s

This, the edgy shit in the 2000's was out of control.

Comics were awful in the 2000s user. Literally the worst decade since the 50s.

>2000s
>Disassemble
>House of M
>Infinite Crisis
>Amazons attack
>Civil War
>better

This. Comics are in such better shape now. Vertigo was the only place with a decent lineup in the 2000s, DH was just the Star Wars, Buffy and Mignola company. Today we have an explosion of fresh books from all sides.

Agreed. It's amazing how every generation thinks their shit is the best shit.

But only when you have read every comic in existence can you begin to talk about them because otherwise you have no frame of reference. Just stop.

I'd love to hear your argument against the fact that pop culture has been dying across the board for the past decade.

What does this statement even mean?

I'd love to hear your argument about how it has.
>inb4 Hollywood and pop music

>Just stop.
Agreed, you should just stop shitposting.

Is this really how you want to spend your day? Defending your right to pass judgment on comics that you haven't read? Can you look at yourself in the mirror and tell yourself that this is a worthwhile usage of your time?

It's very simple, you should only be passing judgment on comics that you've actually read, and you know it.

> an explosion of fresh books from all sides.
All I see is sci fi and fantasy. Give me some good recs, which are not the genre I mentioned.

Well what comics do you enjoy user?

>It's very simple, you should only be passing judgement on comics you've actually read, and you know it.

Not an argument against there being varying degrees of quality over different time periods, buddy. But keep telling me to look in the mirror it's a great distraction from your failed attempts at intellectual superiority.

Those alone are fresh. There were no sci fi comics in the US in the 2000s except Crossgen and the fantasy stuff was limited to Fables type stuff.

>Not an argument against there being varying degrees of quality over different time periods,
But I already agreed with this.

Read my posts instead of just arguing against what you imagine I'm saying.

Anything but sci fi and fantasy. I enjoy Political thriller, adventure and noir/crime. I mean recent mainstream recs.

Everything has become so much more homogenized and empty. What's popular wasn't always completely devoid of substance, but now no one gives a shit to the point where the word has no meaning any more.

Doesn't mean they keep spamming it. Image and rest is to sci fi and fantasy as big two is to capes. There's a few like War comics like Avatar, but Sci fi and Fantasy make up the majority, with crime comics coming from people that used to do them previously.

*War comics from Avatar

>All I see is sci fi and fantasy.

As a scifi an fantasy fan, you can imagine why I like Image very much.

>Give me some good recs, which are not the genre I mentioned.

Velvet
Kill or Be Killed
The Fade Out by Ed Brubaker

The Fix by Nick Spencer

Loose Ends by Jason Latour

Snotgirl by Bryan Lee O'Malley

There's plenty of spy, crime, or thriller fiction.

writers forcing and prioritizing socio-political commentary over a good story and actual entertainment

>nobody reads """enough""" to accurately measure overall quality.

If you already agreed with it then why do you continue to argue that no one can ever have an opinion about the quality of comics over varying periods of time unless they've read literally every comic ever made like some pedantic fuckwad?

Sounds like a you problem.

I would love for you to prove that anyone is actually doing this.

Because your opinion is only valid for the comics that you've read.

Your opinion is invalid for the comics that you haven't read.

How is this difficult for you to understand?

Well the one like that that I constantly hear the best stuff about is Stray Bullets

But I am going to assume you are already up on most of what I suggest especially with a couple preferred genres in an industry not really designed to capitalize on them.

But you can never read enough comics to have a valid opinion about overall trends in quality according to your stupid childish logic. Weren't you saying something about wasting time earlier?

It is a good thing people are pretty good at this thing of building peer groups and trusting opinions of others as well as their own then.

If you can't see a pattern that's your problem.

Also I am probably a bad person to chime in on the mainstream stuff because I only keep up with Image these days with Humble Bundles and don't read any of the Big Two.

Speaking of crime things and Humble Bundles this was in one of them and was pretty good.

Violent Love

>I would love for you to prove that anyone is actually doing this.

They're including non-whites in superhero comics!

I, a reasonable and moderate staunch neo-nazi, feel that acknowledging the existence of non-whites in a fictional story is obviously evidence of white genocide plotted by the jewish master race to weaken white men so they're unable to find girlfriends and procreate.

I also demand that you produce hundreds of citations for any statement you try to make while I constantly shift goals and provide inconsistent responses.

Now I demand you write an essay for every pithy comment I make. I will link you to my manifestos posted on weird blogs that are totally the equivalent of legitimate news sources.

Thanks, but I'm already reading most of those.

Reading that too, and it's one of my favourite runs of all time. Will check out Virgil; Thanks a lot.

>But you can never read enough comics to have a valid opinion about overall trends in quality
Correct.

Because we don't read the vast majority of comics, we are not qualified to judge the "overall trends" of an entire decade.

Am I wrong? Do you really think that you're qualified to judge what you haven't read?

>Thanks, but I'm already reading most of those.

Well I'm sorry a half dozen titles is insufficient.

Stray Bullets and Southern Bastards are also pretty good.

Because you suffer from a thing called nostalgia.

If you can't see how your post said more about how you changed than about entertainment itself, it's yours.

You are wrong.

Because you haven't read every book in existence, traveled to every part of the world, and talked to every human being who has ever lived you are not qualified to have an opinion on anything.

>Because we don't read the vast majority of comics, we are not qualified to judge the "overall trends" of an entire decade.

False. When a decade ends, what we're able to remember makes major releases becomes more apparent.

>Am I wrong? Do you really think that you're qualified to judge what you haven't read?

Bro, I wasn't alive in the 80's, but I can tell you off the top of my head what popular movies and comics were big in the 80's.

At a certain point, we have to be able to make some kind of broad consensus.

Pull up a random sampling of the most popular movies, television, music, and books from this decade and compare it to a sample from 10 years ago and 20 years ago and tell me there isn't a downward trajectory.

Why only the "major" comics? Why only the "popular" comics? Why not the minor and unpopular comics too?

I thought we're talking about the "overall trends" of the entire decade, not just what you read on your Top 10 list.