Image 25th: Birth of a TV pitch

Hi another user is stoyrtime a bunch of first arc for Major Image comics and I decided to show THE Image book that set it sights on being a TV show. A book actually criticized for being an obvious tv show pitch, a book that was made to have a bunch of writers write stories like a tv show for it. This is Thief of Thieves.

This book does not get

this book does not get a lot of talk anywhere it's also now up to about 35 issues. Not bad for a book with no real solid fanbase as far as I know.

When this came out Bleeding cool ran an article on how everything was made to be pilot, from the panel being more storyboard to the fact that there is nothing really holding it back in the comic medium or story that would need changing.

bump

THANKS!
Robert Kirkman the creator, was so impressed by tv show writer room he decided that should emulated by comics.

Aren't a lot of image book over glorified tv pitch everything Brubacker does feels like a Netflix pitch to me

>THANKS!
No problem

and lo and behold this was the comic that was made. I should mention the wikipedia page on this book has like an entire section dedicated to rumors about this getting a tv show.

So I'm Guessing non of this tv show rumors ever panned out right?

You could argue that. I'm storytiming this one because this is the one book where I first saw that exact criticism, and to be fair to Brubaker he knows how to play with the medium to make it comics, and not just tv pitches. He likes noir comics and so do I.

as far as I can tell besides one CBR art things I never see this book get mentioned anywhere even as an overlooked book. Even the premise has been done before we called it Leverage.

I really don't have anything against brubackers style Kill or be killed is my favorite monthly comic but for every brucbacker you get a series of writers who pitches are over glorified trash

yeah, that I agree on.

I actually really like this series. The paneling is incredible simplistic 2x4 or 2x5 with an emphasis on using connecting panels per row in a descending manner. It's a techniqe that I really enjoy seeing but it does have a tendency to lead to one of two outcomes. The limited paneling forcing the writer to be concise with his writing meaning story will be moving at an accelerated pace which in turn makes the issue more plot heavy.

The alternative (which this book tends to suffer from), is that the limited panels are strictly used for dialog purposes leading to some pages being incredibly decompressed to the point of being fucking wasteful. I'd argue the first issue is about equal combinations of both.

Meant to say first series. I'd argue the book becomes much stronger once we establish all the major players.

fair enough I like the series okay myself, but I do find it to be extremely dry and I focus on the trades. I might do the second arc later to see how the tv writer room aproach panned out.

that last page was the one that bleeding cool focused on. I'm not a fan of super deconpesion in comics, not against it but not a fan.

I'd argue the series becomes progressively better as it continues. I'm pretty sure this series began when Nick Spencer was just starting out so it's easy to see why some of the story choices are a little iffy. Once we transition to diggle co-writing and then Diggle taking over the series transforms into a different beast entirely.

Ugg this page is the exact sort of thing I was talking about. The four panel structure lends a cinematic approach to the story and then DOES NOT WORK WITH DECOMPRESSION! You just wasted an entire goddam page. This conversation at most should have only required half a page to at most 3/4 while still achieving more or less the same effect.Especially that last panel. The could have easily done behind shot from Conrad's darkened silhouette as he takes a drink and still focus Celia's agitated face. Makes me mad.

bump

I agree I actually helped out on a class to show how not to write comics and used that page as an example.

I also like Andy Diggle and I will check out the later I only read up to volume two.

I'm going through an electrical storm right now and may experience some problems so I will give you a heads up if I can't post from my comp.

Well Kirkman was riding the wave of Walking Dead getting picked up.

it's why we have Outcast as well. I get the walking dead high but I always like viewing the comic as a unique medium first.

Okay my house is having electrical problems I don't know when I can finish if anyone wants to help feel free, but I will try to be back as soon as I can.

It's actually so much like a TV show that you end up tuning out because it doesn't actually care about telling an engaging story or develop characters because it's too busy trying to be cinematic and cool. It is the epitome of going "why am I even keeping up with this? Oh yeah, out of habit, not real interest" in the middle of it and deciding to drop it right there.

I never get that from Brubaker. He's a comic guy who wants to tell period noir and crime stories. Sure a lot of his stuff would and actually could make good TV, but he does it as a comic damn well. He uses the medium to set era and time.

Heck, the city in Criminal is specifically an amalgamation of the bad parts of town from more than a few cities. It's not a real place. It's the shit of LA, New York, and others.

Fuck I just want more Incognito.

To expand a bit. It really helps that Brubaker works with Philips on all the stuff, and the two clearly really get each others strengths and base of influences in broader culture.

Bump

Hey, this is actually pretty cool. With Image week I was hoping more people would join in and storytime their Image favorites too. I guess it didn't work, but it's pretty neat of you to run this, it's the one Skybound book I've never read.

I think I might be able to take over. Give me a sec to check my back catalog. I'll report back in 10

SO GODDAMN LAZY!!!!
Fucking Unreal!

bump

and I'm back I can take over.

so yeah everything worked out. I might run another image book after this one because I throw shade at the company but that's only because I hate how self idulgent it can get,

I do love tons of Image comics so I'm thinking Godland might be a good one.