Should Avatar be considered anime?

youtu.be/uFtfDK39ZhI

Mother's Basement is borderline Sup Forums, but he makes a good argument for why shows like Avatar, Boondocks, and even Steven Universe should be considered "anime".

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UTOZgmWQjYs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This thread again, huh?

>he makes a good argument
I can tell you without watching the video that no he does not.

Should this be considered a cartoon then?

Why don't they just change the ''anime definition'' to 'East Asian cartoons' if they want to include Chinese cartoons as anime

He argues that anime is a movement more than anything else, that in its modern incarnation is, due to the influences of the internet, way more connected to older anime and western media than it is to actual Japanese culture. Ergo, animators like Rebecca Sugar who were raised on older anime and western media have the same influences, and thus in theory produce content under the same banner.

It's a very loose argument, but it at the very least is enough to argue that a lot of western animation these days is really just a subsect of anime with heavier western influence.

Because grouping China and Japan as "the same thing" triggers asians in the same way that grouping Britfags with Burgers triggers Europoors.

I do agree with his theory that anime is a movement and that Avatar was quite clearly intended to be part of that movement, though I disagree that Steven Universe should be considered an anime, as it feels more influenced by cartoons with smatterings of anime influence.

That's the dumbest thing I've read all week.

Yes.

I smell a triggering ban~

I loved the random broken English swearing they just casually tossed in.

youtube.com/watch?v=UTOZgmWQjYs

His argument basically boils down to,
"It's inspired by anime, therefore it's anime."

Anything animated is anime. So yes.

Anything can be anime if you redefine what “anime” is.

But user why can't you agreed like everyone else?

Including puppets, stop motion and claymation counts. so yes

>Anime (Japanese: アニメ) is Japanese hand-drawn or computer animation. The word is the abbreviated pronunciation of "animation" in Japanese, where this term references all animation.[1]

Every canadian cartoons i can think of is anime, so yeah, totally on point with this guy.

Modern Japanese anime is more inspired by oldern anime than it is the cultural influences that inspired older anime. And while certain touches are exclusive to Japanese culture, they do not encompass the whole of traditional anime in the modern day.

You have to draw the line somewhere, or you're just using anime as a synonym for cartoon.
All modern animators have seen at least some anime.

Japanese property = Sup Forums
Western property = Sup Forums

Should Sup Forums be split into /vj/ and /vw/ then?

for what purpose

They weren't made in Japan so no

So is Star VS an anime too?

Anime is Japanese animation, that's what it's always meant and what it will always mean. Avatar will never be anime.

I don't get why people desperately want it to be anime. My guess is that they're trying to justify enjoying a cartoon but it's not like normal people have more respect for anime either

But Sup Forums discusses Korean and Chinese shows, in addition to shows funded by the west (just try and convince me that FLCL S2 won't have a huge discussion general on Sup Forums). And ultimately as globalization and the internet intensify, and as the anime industry increasingly disconnects from the mainstream culture of Japan into its own subcategory, the distinctions will become ever fuzzier.

Checked, and mainly because the internet holds anime in higher regard than traditional cartoon animation.

>But Sup Forums discusses Korean and Chinese shows
No they don't. Occasionally Korea or China will fund an anime project. Such anime are usually not very popular because they are of noticeably lower quality. Actual Korean and Chinese animation is never discussed because it's not anime. Manwha fags keep trying to get their shit on the board, but mods thankfully ban them if they get too uppity.

>open the video
>see the guy's face
>close it

No one this loser looking can have something relevant to say

It just has superficial resemblances to anime is all. They ape character designs and also used a lot of East Asian cultural influences. In all the ways that matter, it's not an anime though.

Should the Japanese be considered human?

Too bad that's all bullshit, though.

>He argues that anime is a movement more than anything else, that in its modern incarnation is, due to the influences of the internet, way more connected to older anime and western media than it is to actual Japanese culture
Hilariously wrong. Only somebody with pathetically small exposure to anime could think this.

Engrish cursing is a magical thing.

How is he wrong then?

Anime is not a genre.

>way more connected to older anime and western media than it is to actual Japanese culture.
Lolwut.
Might I ask how he backs up this ridiculous claim?

Maybe watch the fucking video rather than arguing against a point you don't fully understand.

>actually watching 18 minutes of some jackass talking about something so fucking inconsequential
Yeah, nah.

Stop shilling your videos.

By claiming that modern anime has more in common with western culture than Japanese culture when the vast majority of anime being made now is utterly inscrutable to westerners.

You all do realize that the Japanese call American animation "anime" as well, right?

So it works both ways. Avatar is a cartoon and a anime

First, we ignore his entire argument because he's trying to change the definition of the word. Anime is animation from Japan. That's it. It's not a genre, or an artstyle, or a movement, or anything else. No pasty white boy or slanty eyed jap gets to change that.

His new definition is wrong too though because if we define animation based on influence and connection (I'll assume you represented his argument correctly, I'm not watching that shit) then anime didn't exist in the first place because Japanese animation was originally inspired by Disney (that's where the big eyes came from). By his poor reasoning all animation should be called Disney cartoons because of the overwhelming influence and connection it has to all animation.

I'm surprised I've never seen someone try and make a thread about a manwha here.

Go ask Sup Forums, return with your answer.

Anime simply means animation from Japan. Avatar is not from Japan, it is not anime.

This is the easiest concept on planet Earth.

>Mother's Basement is borderline Sup Forums, but he makes a good argument for why shows like Avatar, Boondocks, and even Steven Universe should be considered "anime".

Why do burgers have to be so retarded and short-sighted? They're cartoons. It doesn't matter whether they've been done in Belgium, France, Egypt, Azerbaijan, Honolulu, or Japan.
No one except for you fucks makes that distinction because it makes no real sense.
This is just pushing it even further.

Is the Scott Pilgram vs The World movie a comic book?

Is The Matrix an anime?

Is the novelization of "Mary Kate and Ashley: The Challenge" a Movie?

Is Slam Dunk a sport?

I could go on.

It all depends on how you define it. Anime, in the strictest definition of the word, simply means animation. So you could call Avatar anime and technically you wouldn't be wrong. However the ordinary usage of the word refers to animation that comes from Japan. It doesn't matter.

The real question here is, why does anyone care? Anime is just cartoons.

>He argues that anime is a movement

Avatar is no more anime than Boku No Hero Academia is a cartoon.

So it is an anime?

I always agreed with that definition, but people here don't like it. There is literally no point arguing. It is a lost cause.

Just classify based on the race of the author and move on.

My Hero Academia is a japanese cartoon. Calling Avatar an american anime wouldn't be too weird.

The art style is Very different from anime. The heads are more human-like and the eyes aren't as big as anime. Pic related.

But to be fair, this highly depends on the character, and even the expressions. I think the most fair comparison is with Berserk, where it looks like young characters are anime and when they grow up they become a more western artstyle.

Anyone else find it ironic that the anime that gives the best respectful not to asian culture/religion and uses it as a plot device isn't even anime?

It's American anime, so sorta.

what the fuck are you talking about? Japan killed this series early on because they hated how the Fire Nation was based off Japan and how they're antagonistic as fuck.

Anime is Japanese animation. It's as simple as that. I might be wrong, But I'm fairly sure Avatar was animated by a Korean studio. So no, it's not anime.

>Steven universe should be considered "anime"

Just because it has references to anime and has certain concepts inspired by anime, DOES NOT MAKE IT ANIME. Just a western cartoon inspired by anime. I want to find whatever Geoff is smoking, because it must be some good shit for him to be this deluded.

Except it isn't, really. Puppet shows aren't animated, but they're "anime". Very soon China is going to be making cartoons, amd they sure as hell aren't getting discussed on Sup Forums.

The reason why anime is considered "it's own thing" is less because of the work itself and more because of the anime community's somewhat fitting elitism towards anything not-anime.

>Is something not in the same medium as something elsebnot considered part of the same category as it?

I'm not going to watch that video, the answer is an objective no.

>Steven Universe
I'm gonna get a lot of mileage out of this image.

Tumblr would tell you otherwise.

Sooner or later, it could take 10 or even 20 years, we are going to reach a point where western animation reaches a similar level of complexity to anime. There's just too much desire, whether consiously or unconsiously, for a teen/adult audience show not bound to the physical limitations of film/television. And when that point comes, we'll need a better answer.

It's not made in japan so obviously not

>Avatar, Boondocks, and even Steven Universe should be considered "anime".

Not anime because the way the stories, characters and the dialogue are written are very western/cartoon-like and not Japanese.

It's a cartoonime.

>Avatar was animated by a Korean studio
so are most real anime

So are most American cartoons, at least prior to 2005.

The show was produced in America, its an American cartoon.