Star Trek /Discovery/ General

The mid season finale was really good. Are the haters ready to admit they were wrong about DIS?

I heard about the stupid water bears wierdo teleporting ship travel shit. never watching ever.
Also fuck seth mcfarlene and his fucking vanity project i wont be watching that shit either.

star trek is fucking ded.

>let's go home

What did Lorca mean by this?

it's okay, but i hate how the show began as a serious sci-fi war drama and then turned into a campy joss whedon inspired schlockfest
the rainn wilson character was the final straw for me

He is from the Mirror Universe. He took home Disco so he can turn the tide of the war there.

rainn wilson character was fucking great

I love how, on his way to Starbase 46 -- where he knows they'll tell him to step down from his command, take his ship from him and "promote" him to Commodore or something -- he somehow manages to have the Disco hurtled into a fucking "Lost in Space" scenario for the rest of this (and potentially next) season.

I hope we get a flashback episode that shows how mirror Lorca got to the prime universe

He is a sneaky little bastard. Doesn't take a desk-promotion, doesn't let the shrink rat him out, instead he is taking the ship for either a 'Long Journey Home' a la VOY or across to an other timeline.
I'd love if they actually stayed there and become heroes of the Terran Empire.

i bet you say FRACK and own all of joss whedon's tv shows on dvd
i bet you're also female
only excuse why someone would enjoy such a cheesy and hammed performance unironically
i hope you get onset diarrhea, bitch

He probably headed the same research here, but got jumped by klingons, and threw himself across the border.
Then he was found by himself, so he had to kill himself, and the entire ship compliment to take his place and head the research here in the hope that he will find a way to beat the klingons.
Now that he did -decloaking algorithm- he went home to win the war.

What the fuck is your problem?

Do you not remember Mudd from ToS? I'm not the guy you are insulting, but I got excited as soon as I realized who that character was. He was supposed to be like that imo. The actor that played Mudd also died in a hotel room while smoking crack with gay prostitutes. The character was supposed to be a weirdo.

Wasn't it established that the ship could teleport short distances without the tardigrade? Why did the discovery needed the tardigay during the final battle then?

Will they lose the spore drive technology in the mirror universe?

The could do unreliable short jumps and I'm not sure they could do them one after the other.

Last time they tried doing uncontrolled jumps they almost warped into a sun.

am I supposed to be insulted

>The actor that played Mudd also died in a hotel room while smoking crack with gay prostitutes.

Seriously?

> make 1 episode that's sort of good
> APOLOGIZE

No fuck you.

allegedly

>There have been varying reports as to Carmel's cause of death. The statement originally released to the public at the time of his death stated that he had committed suicide by overdosing on aspirin. Another story has been relayed by a male prostitute who claimed to have frequented Carmel's home. According to this story, Carmel died of an accidental crack cocaine overdose while celebrating his new-found good fortune. [2] These claims, however, were not confirmed. The official cause of death is hypertensive cardiomyopathy (heart disease).

That's the Carrie Fisher disease though, so drugs were definitely involved.

i bet you masturbated to spike at least once
my problem is more with the change of format. the first two episodes were entirely different from where it's at now. like a change in showrunners or something

This show and the dimension stuff is the answer to an executive who asked the question "How can we get all the timelines into one show?"

Even if the prostitute he regularly saw was lying about a crack OD for some reason, he was a known alcoholic and drug user

>the first two episodes were entirely different from where it's at now
so are you saying you wanted the show to stay on the same note as the first two episodes? everybody has right to have their own opinion but you're in the minority dude

I watched the first 4-5 episodes, and the most recent one because people said it was good.
Honestly, I don't see it. I do like the special effect of the spore drive being used, and some of the other effects were very nice. Outside of that, I don't like the characters, I thought the general plot of the episode was kind of shallow, the Klingons are too Saturday-cartoon-villain for me (convenient incompetence included), and in particular the fight choreography between Burnham and the head Klingon guy was awful.
I'm a sucker for parallel universes, so I might continue to watch if it seems like they're going to do something interesting along those lines, but I can't really say I was drawn back in by the most recent episode outside of a plot device I always fall for anyway.

>need the transmitter thing on Pahvos to be able to detect cloaked Klingon vessels
>a major plot point of this series since episode one is WE CAN'T FUCKING DETECT THE GOD DAMNED CLOAKED KLINGON SHIPS
>over and over and over again that's the problem
>come up with this cockamamie plan to transport onboard a Klingon ship and put two beacons inside it so they can detect it when it's cloaked
>before they even get started on the plan there ends up being this oh-so brilliant line of dialogue

"Sir, long range sensors have detected the power signature of a cloaked Klingon vessel entering Pahvo's orbit."

>laugh about it
>get pissed about it
>realize this show is fucking shitting all over the legacy of Star Trek overall
>such horrible writing, such horrible boring inconsequential characters
>counting on the special effects to cover the shitty writing and terrible acting
>"Oh look, nope, we can't detect cloaked Klingon vessels, at least not up close, but on long range sensors we can tell a) that it's a cloaked vessel, b) we can tell it's a Klingon cloaked vessel, and c) we can tell where it is by the fact that we can detect it entering orbit..."

I MEAN REALLY, YOU FUCKING IDIOTS, GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE

U a cool dude

Was actually really good. Theres been some dud episodes, but its starting to pick up which is good

its in this strange quality limbo where its great and shit at the same time because in a way if you remove the lame parts the amazing ones loose the charm and vice versa.

I thought they stopped doing this shit? The dutch angles in non-action scenes I mean. I hadn't seen it since the prologue and it shows up just now?

Yeah I noticed that too. Maybe they have same directers?

>i bet you say FRACK
Real Sci-Fi fans say Smeg or Tanj none of this bullshit Frack weaksauce.

Klingons are a lot more bearable when they aren't speaking their garbled slow-ass language.

Bet the actors were glad to have at least one scene where they didn't have to speak it too.

Why do people mind dutch angels so much?

tghy cant see it out of the WINDOW u DUMDUM

Discovery turns into star trek voyager.

>The mid season finale was really good.

Is this why we no longer have /std/?

Is this your first star trek?

That actually would work.

Only if they stick to the dark tone.
VOY had the potential to be great but the main planned conflict (Maquis) got resolved in the first few episodes because the old showrunner came over and from that point no it was the same optimistic bullshit while they were supposed to be barely surviving.

Fantasy languages like Klingon and Dothraki are always shit. For a change, create a vowel-only language like "euaoaeiou eauio AOEIU AOIUEOIAU!"

Disregard that, just realized it's Charlenese

she is so fucking hot in the time loop episode

I still prefer her.
And now L'rell.

Department of missing opportunities reporting.

Don't even get me started. I shelved VOY for years after that missed opportunity.

It's deliberately disorienting, which makes sense in some contexts, but it's not appropriate in most scenes.
Flipping the camera upside-down makes sense in zero-gravity scenes to convey the loss of a sense of 'up', but imagine if the scene where Lorca was being congratulated by the admiral were randomly filmed upside-down. It's distracting and doesn't fit the scene.

it should be /std/, you /dis/gusting imbecile

HE'S GOING HOME TO THE SEA. *Whale noises*

I hope they never go back to where they came from

I laughed

Nobody from the mirror universe is level headed enough to ever even conceive something of that magnitude. Whatever lorca is planning, it's not mirror universe shit. I'll laugh if it is tho

so has Kelvin timeline gone? done? over?
will discovery jump into prime or kelvin timeline?
will we get any actors/cameos from jjtrek?

It's /std/ idiot.

>optimistic bullshit

Why do you have dark suicidal thoughts, user? You should seek help.

Based Mudd

>not /std/

>Are the haters ready to admit they were wrong about DIS?
No, because they hate the show for political reasons rather than quality. Hence why they keep posting that photo of the cast taking the knee, and the "Klingon are Trump supporters" articles.

/dis/ is a soap relationship drama pretending to be sci-fi
/dis/ is a /dis/graceful /dis/aster

>manly protuding chin
>manly thick neck

is that a tranny?

Focusing the whole series on a single character and not a broader crew was a mistake.
One single hero doing everything important, being best in everything and always right gets old really fast.

>ctrl+f STD
>0 results

>No, because they hate the show for political reasons rather than quality.

This is true, as you can't hate a show because of something it doesn't have.

now i know we interdimensionalfleet i feel better although apart from the couple of boring filler episodes i have enjoyed it since the pilot.

should of has discovery set in 2233 and jump into prime universe and save the uss kelvin and fucked nero up.

it's no obnoxious when they tell you she's a hero

>ash got raped
>ash has PTSD from being raped
>PTSD is a disease
>this disease was transmitted to him via sex
>ash has an STD

brilliand writinb

>This is true, as you can't hate a show because of something it doesn't have.
Nice one!

It really builds the character when the actress can only make one facial expression and that's of disgust.

i don't care about black woman. i'm ok with woman captain janeway and black commander sisko. i hate /std/ because it's yet another teengirl chick show pretending to be sci-fi like hunger games, divergent, supergirl, the flash and sgu.

i wish apocalyptic lightning will wipe out all faggots who insist on inserting menstruating angsty i-can't-trust-you-you're-supposed-to-be-my-friendpartnercrewmateloverwhatev why-did-you-secret-you're-supposed-to-be-my-friendpartnercrewmateloverwhatev dramas into sci-fi shows.

I'm watching Hannibal for psychotherapy. I think its really working for me.

It's suicidally depressed girls like you that is the cancer destroying film and television.

Episode about Ash's Klingon /STD/ when?

>

>PTSD is a disease
It's a disorder, it literally has Disorder in the initialism.
You could have gone with Sexually Transmitted Disorder, but you blew it.

Proof that Sup Forums is overrun by tweens and shills.
Show sucks in every way

But he should've been a one off. It's a worrisome sign that they would use a side character like this within 2 episodes of his previous appearance.

>he does like Mudd

It's happening

where did this pic came from?

up your butt

Cbs

So could anyone explain to me what the plan was in the last episode?

I mean I get what they showed us, but that couldn't have had that from the start, it had to be the result of a couple of rewrites, since it makes so little internal sense that no one who graduated high school should be able to write something like this.

From what I gather, the end result was this:
>Beam people on invisible ship before it turns invisible
>Plant special devices that will help the discovery paint a picture of it and know where it is from the outside
>Then perform around 130 jumps super close around the invisible ship which's location they don't know, so they can scan it from every side, but also jumping to like within 50 feet of it each time, something they shouldn't be able to do if they didn't know where it was
>When you got the scans and have its location: Blow it up with torpedoes

Like I don't want to pretend this was ever good, but there had to be some logic at some point in development.
Did they
>Want to actually have the discovery scan it from super far away, where having a general idea would have been enough to jump around it?
>Want to not simply destroy it, but use the homing tech to create a special scan filter that will detect it anywhere when it's cloaked, so though they can't destroy it, they can help the Federation never be ambushed by it?ú
>Want to do something else?

I've got to believe that there is at least some intelligent life out there on the other side of that screen, and they had a plan.
What was that plan?!

>Beam people on invisible ship before it turns invisible
they beamed in in the "short" window after it becomes visible but before shields come online
>around the invisible ship which's location they don't know
isn't that what the devices were for? Sending the signal so the Discovery can locate the invisible ship

>Want to not simply destroy it, but use the homing tech to create a special scan filter that will detect it anywhere when it's cloaked, so though they can't destroy it, they can help the Federation never be ambushed by it?ú
this one
they collected enough data they could have an algorithm detecting cloaked ships ready in 11h

Oh yeah, I remember BSG being hyped for being a forum for topics not discussed in other series. Mainly Iraqi War critic, that is.

Soon it all waned out and enter the yet another gawd show. At least le critic phase was tolerable.

>yet another teengirl chick show

What we need is a pure cast of grumpy, middle aged professionals in a scifi setting. Would find its niche audience from all age groups actually.

>isn't that what the devices were for? Sending the signal so the Discovery can locate the invisible ship
If that's all they wanted to do, explain why they didn't just beam the crew out and blow the ship up the moment the devices went live.
Why did they need to perform the 130 jumps with the extremely volatile and dangerous engine that they knew was volatile and dangerous, and their navigator was sick?

As for the detecting algorithm, the reason I can't believe that, even though it felt like what they were going for, was that we know for a fact that the Federation couldn't detect cloaked ships for a long time yet, and it's not even like they failed in their mission.

I guess they could conveniently lose that one very important piece of data in whatever situation they got themselves into when using the drive to perform a jump that would have taken them around 3 hours with warp, but yeah.

Maybe I just have trouble processing it due to it being followed up by an intricately shot Species homage.

Anyone seen the star Trek Continues finale? Discovery has a cameo, but it's the pre-production version with short nacelles.

Jonathan Frakes already let it slip that there was at least 1 mirror universe episode.

>If that's all they wanted to do, explain why they didn't just beam the crew out and blow the ship up the moment the devices went live. Why did they need to perform the 130 jumps with the extremely volatile and dangerous engine that they knew was volatile and dangerous, and their navigator was sick?
They said that they could just place the transmitters there and bail but then taking the required measurements will take days. That's why they placed them and then took a "photo" from 133 angles to speed up the process.
As for why they didn't beam them up instantly I don't know. Maybe they can't through the cloak so they had to wait while the ship is already going down?

As for what will happen to the algorithm? No clue at all.

you are literally saving your mind. I am watchind STD as it is a captivating dumpster fire, what many people call a trainwreck which has it's audio/visual appeal. it's shadefraudde and we're going to hell.

Keep your mind and spirit pure, watch TNG or whatever and never watch STD.

Vaginal sex is not rape in his case. If she had literally fucked him in the ass then yeah it would have been rape.

but it's magical user

that's a long jump. They stated short jumps are fine

Kol was the only one who made any sense until the Michael Sue dropped in.

>Well the Discovery is obviously trying some shit, I'm not going to just sit around and let them do their move.

What really upset me was when Discovery stated teleporting around the ship of the dead, it just sat there. Didn't even try to do anything or get away or even fire. Everyone just sat there confused. Better drop everything to fight this NIGGER for what seems like 10 minutes because she said the word 'honor' my only weakness...

this is literally walking dead tier writing

>spend several episodes establishing house kol has no honor

>HOWSE KOL I CHALLENGE YOU TO HONERABLE DUEL
>OKAY!

I mean that's something that's already been established for decades.

Klingons act dishonorable all the time but god forbids you ever point that out to them.

*anime teleporting sounds*

there is nothing honorable about falling for an obvious trap. Also the same guy who just bribed Voq's crew instead of just beating Voq in combat.

As someone who very much didn't like the first three episodes and decided to quit, sell me on the best episode to "hook me" back into the show.