X-Men TAS vs Spider-Man TAS

>X-Men TAS is always prided as one of the great 90s cartoons
>Spider-Man TAS is usually put down in comparison

So I watch both back-to-back for the first time and what the fuck? Spider-Man has problems like reused animations and censors, but it has a lot of nice touches (like when he talks to the Gargoyle), tight seasons-long arcs, and lots of great characterization for a kids cartoon. X-Men on the other-hand has some of the worst, most random and sloppy writing I've ever seen in a show. The fact it tries to tell ambitiously long arcs makes it worse because it constantly falls on its own face.

So why is X-Men so critically acclaimed even in comparison to Spider-Man TAS? What's your opinion on the two series?

Other urls found in this thread:

toon.is/x-men-3x06-phoenix-saga-part-4-the-starjammers-video_ead97081e.html
youtube.com/watch?v=zzbXXDTnM0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=znLlcGIeIXs
youtube.com/watch?v=gL8D3TB-lz8
inverse.com/article/16166-how-former-x-men-and-power-rangers-composer-ron-wasserman-got-his-revenge
youtube.com/watch?v=EQSD1E7YjHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=mwePh8vYYIQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>So why is X-Men so critically acclaimed even in comparison to Spider-Man TAS?
X-fags.

For me as a kid Spider-Man TAS was my introduction to the Marvel Universe as a whole since it had characters like Iron Man, Captain America, War Machine, Doctor Strange, Blade, etc. Shit, I remember when I saw the X-Men crossover for the first time it blew my mind. It wasn't the most perfect show, but I think without it I would have never knew about characters like Punisher or even events like Secret Wars until much later. While I concider Spectacular Spider-Man to be the best Spidey cartoon, TAS was probably the best Marvel Universe cartoon, at least that's my thoughts on it now, I'm gonna be watching EMH soon..

EMH >>>>> all other superhero cartoons

X-Men was better animated. Also, a lot of people were annoyed by how censored the show was, which I personally never had a problem with till the third season during the "death" of MJ. Honestly, they should continue TAS as a Netflix series and drop all the unnecessary censorship, that shit would be badass. Fuck, can we get a petition going or something? I wanna see this now. The show even had the best version of Clone Saga.

>Implying Spideyfags aren't worse

I liked both but I like the team aspect and variety of characters in X-Men.

Both got me into Marvel. Both good shows. Black Cat was hot in Spider-man .

>X-Men was better animated

The characters in X-Men were stiff as hell and there are scenes that change from day-to-night and back-to-day-again between shots. And all the characters have the really tacky nineties costume designs from the time which are really unappealing.

Also Spider-Man's censorship is tremendously overblown. X-Men never has the word "kill" uttered too, but they use the word "destroy" a hell of a lot more than Spider-Man which is extremely awkward. And X-Men also uses laser guns instead of real guns. The only part where I feel the censorship got in the way was Spider-Man not throwing a punch and Morbius. Also at least Spider-Man found loopholes for killing people, like when people fall into portals. And some characters do die: Mysterio literally dies off-screen in an explosion and both Hydro Men evaporate from existence. Meanwhile, I can't remember any character "dying" in X-Men (Morph doesn't count).

You really think X-Men was better animated? Ig has great character designs but the actual animating of the characters is widely open for debate.

X-men had Morph

The animation for X-Men was bad, but it was leagues better than Spider-Man's. Often times they'd just reuse the same shots and not even bother to change the background. Several times in the series when Spider-Man is swinging you can see the bomb Smythe put on Peter back in season 1. But yeah, Spider-Man out classed X-Men in basically everything else.

>MJ will always be trapped in that vortex

Fuck I miss that series. That shit needs to come back.

I thought Spider-man better adapted the material. While it stuck close to the cannon it was willing to change things up to add more depth or not make it reliant on crossovers. It's Venom origin works better, and this is the only continuity where Mysterio is giver a tragic origin. I always thought it also had the stronger story arcs.

>Mysterio literally dies off-screen in an explosion
when does this happen?

Every american cateoon cant use bullets unless you include Aeon Flux. Lazer are in EMH, BTaS and JLU, and all the others. The censorship said only lasers alowed so..it was ok and if death happened off panel it was the only way to do it

she got out. That was the ending of the series was going to save her and the Spider man unlimited cartoon is the same universe 4 years later.
So the ending of that Universe is Spider man goes to another universe and dies

TUTTI FRUTTI

>Spider man unlimited cartoon is the same universe 4 years later.

Spider-Man Unlimted is not canon. This has been confirmed several times, Slott is just too retarded to listen.

TAS takes place in Earth-92131 while Unlimited takes place in Earth-751263. They just had similar events happen in each universe. Also, Peter doesn't even look remotely the same in each show.

I liked both as a kid. But the cartoon actually made Xmen my favorite characters to this day, I also watched the Iron man an the Fantastc four ones, but those are different universes

>cannon
>cartoon series

What the fuck are you talking about? Cannon never mattered when you made new animated shit. That said, ultimate SM seemed to clearly draw from the older cannon

>Spider-Man Unlimted is not canon.
things might have changed due to the miss of that show being the rework of 3 ideas and copyright headaches of the time but they did plan/intended it to be the same universe. Eddie's flashbacks in "One is the Loneliest Number" reflect the events of the 94 cartoon.
>Peter doesn't even look remotely the same in each show
Neither does he look remotely the same in most comic books yet it is suppose to be the same guy and universe

regardless it's a moot point, both have come and gone and we are getting lined up for a Miles Moore cartoon for 2018.

Ever watch Earths Mightiest Heroes? It is arguably the best superhero animated series ever made.

Spider-Man TAS was all about canon. It had over arcing plots that stretched throughout the whole series.

The opening, and the X-Men being 90s as fuck.

Yeah it was awesome.

>they should continue X as a Netflix series
Can't wait for this meme to die already.

>This has been confirmed several times
Where?
>Also, Peter doesn't even look remotely the same in each show.
That's mostly in the hair cut. They have the same jawline and nose.

>And all the characters have the really tacky nineties costume designs from the time which are really unappealing.
Well that's the thing, they were appealing in the context of the time. SpideyTAS felt pretty 60s in comparison, for a lack of a better word.

>Several times in the series when Spider-Man is swinging you can see the bomb Smythe put on Peter back in season 1.
I remember this bothering me even as a kid.

>things might have changed due to the miss of that show being the rework of 3 ideas and copyright headaches of the time but they did plan/intended it to be the same universe.

Intended, yes, very obviously, but things changed and they decided on it not being canon. The entire production was a mess, considering how it was originally suppose to be 2099.

>Eddie's flashbacks in "One is the Loneliest Number" reflect the events of the 94 cartoon.

Again, similar history, but not the same canon.

>Neither does he look remotely the same in most comic books yet it is suppose to be the same guy and universe

He's always consistently a brunet though. Unlimited made him a ginger.

>regardless it's a moot point, both have come and gone and we are getting lined up for a Miles Moore cartoon for 2018.

Stop making me sad user! I want this show to come back so fucking bad. Season 6 would have been about Peter time traveling to get MJ back. We would have gotten to see 2099 and shit.

>Peter doesn't even look remotely the same in each show.
If you read comics you should know that doesn't mean anything.

I think you misunderstood. He meant between TV shows and that does happen a lot in kids animation. Extreme Ghostbusters breaks a lot of meta and feels more like an ult universe but is made clear at other times it's the same as TRGB. A more current example is the two Avatar series where Korra breaks lore/canon more than once but the two shows are the same universe.

I get that, the question was about different series. Very little cannon hokds from one series to the other

Where did it even come from? From my understanding network is doing that shit more.

Canon.
Cannon is a film/camera brand.

I'm definitely more Marvel than DC when it comes to comics or movies, but EMH can't even touch BTAS.

YoungJusticefags and GLTASfags who knew that a CN follow-up would never, ever happen.

>Where?
Remember when Marvel use to put out those editorial books explaining their multiverse? It was stated several times over in those. Reasoning because Marvel had a spin off book to TAS that contradicted Unlimited, and the comic canon of TAS superseded the Unlimited canon. So Unlimited is just an alternate timeline. Funny thing about that is though, Unlimited is a branching timeline, similar to the LoZ timeline. Unlimited timeline takes place after the events of "Six Forgotten Warriors" according to Wizard magazine. Meaning the MJ in the intro is actually the clone.

I am more into the over arching cosmic plots of EMH. I love street level DC but i go to GA for that. I watched BTaS but it did nothing for me. A few good episodes but it was mediocre level at best. JLU was far better..just the animation suffers

Is Felicia looking at Peter's ass?

He was a ginger in that show. Also, he was a lot younger. Not to mention how Venom and Carnage appeared completely different.

>changed and they decided on it not being canon.
Source?
>it was originally suppose to be 2099.
again source?

>Again, similar history, but not the same canon.
what about the other talks with Spidy and Flash? Or even the Goblin? Or how Carnage comments about never having a boss again after how things went with Dormammu? You are basically saying everything happen 1 for 1 but it isn't canon because you just don't want it to be.

>He's always consistently a brunet though. Unlimited made him a ginger.

His hair color has been everything from sandy blond to that off red he had in Unlimited. Again we just accept it's the same person there.

>Stop making me sad user!
If I wanted to make you sad I would note it's been over twenty years since the last episode air and half the VAs are dead. If I wanted to make you sad I note that we will not have that type of Spider-man for a very long time if ever again because HS age Spidy is the more know in other media. If I wanted to make you sad I remind you that "you can't go home" and your childhood is gone forever.

>Meaning the MJ in the intro is actually the clone.

I'm going to take that as you not liking episodic formats with lack of over-arching plots, because that's the only way this can make sense to me.

>Meaning the MJ in the intro is actually the clone
That doesn't make any sense then because Spidy in Unlimited brings up how he hates clones more than once and mentions how he lost MJ "once, technically twice". I get it isn't canon now but it was clear it was meant to be at some point.

What is artistic license for 200$.

you be surprised what people will split hairs over if it keeps there opinions as truth.

You're insane. EMH was alright but it was "Justice League season 1" level on its best day (and of the proper non-Static Shock/non-Zeta Project DCAU series, that's definitely the weakest stuff). It certainly can't match up to most of the rest of the DCAU.

I don't even care about the whole "which is canon to what" debate, just saying artstyle is not an indicator either way.
I mean shit, aren't TT and TTGo supposed to be in the same universe?

>Source?
Marvel Handbooks. Also John Semper supported the fact that it was a different universe.

>again source?

Trying to find it, but everything is buried under that poorly named Spider-Man app, so I can't find it at the moment. But apparently it had to do with the recent success of Batman Beyond. A lot of 2099 stuck around though, such as the costume and the nano fiber. Then they tried to make it a faithful adaptation to Ditko, which you could see in the intro, then they went back to 2099, then they just combined the two.

>what about the other talks with Spidy and Flash? Or even the Goblin? Or how Carnage comments about never having a boss again after how things went with Dormammu? You are basically saying everything happen 1 for 1 but it isn't canon because you just don't want it to be.

No, because the Marvel handbook says that it's not canon and the creator of TAS also said it was not canon. It's a splitting timeline like LoZ.

Continuity error? Again, I said according to Wizard, and they don't have a very good track record.

>according to Wizard magazine
Those guys were so far up their asses that they spewed conjecture and hunches dressed up as facts and official info. They are about as good a source as saying your dad works at Marvel.

>said according to Wizard, and they don't have a very good track record.
So why even bring them up?

I found it interesting. Doesn't even matter though, because the Marvel handbook said it wasn't canon to TAS.

According to the showrunner, she's in Victorian England.

The only time when "destroy" made sense was when clone MJ said it; she wasn't really alive, so she couldn't "die" in the usual sense.

Also, wouldn't getting shot by a laser hurt way worse than a bullet?

>And we'll still never see it.

Fuck, why can't we just get a TAS universe revival instead of the new crap cartoon coming out that Slott will have his grimy fingers all over?

Which Marvel handbook? Vol. 4? And it's worth noting those handbooks aren't even canon to themselves and have gotten stuff wrong. They are just to feed canon fags that stroke off to lore. That and saying it's canon or not canon for two shows that are both 20 years old dead and only remembered because serialization rights for shows before streaming was a thing are cheap as fuck otherwise they would be lost to time like all those dead souls before us.

Not a chance. EMH had far better animation, there were inner ears a small thing that was fucked up and will never not trigger me. It is fucking ugly.

Also the over story is only paralleled by The Questions story. Which is fucking great. But it it doesn't ie into the overall story like EMH did. Every episode had secret invasion or ragarok going.

If you say it sucks cause an exec wanted a MCU verse instead, granted it was terrble that they left so many threads hanging. But kyle and Yost did some amazing stuff, they were prevented from sealing the deal. It was still bettdr despite the fsilure of completion

It always made sense for me that the Marvel Universe would have lasers instead of guns. I mean, look at how high tech their universe is and all the zanny weapons that super villains have. It makes sense for them to have done away with guns a long time ago. If anything 616 should go full lasers too. They should stop trying to reflect the modern world so hard and realize just how batshit crazy their universe is.

>Which Marvel handbook? Vol. 4?

Fuck if I know, I've been trying to figure out which one said it for the longest time, I just know that one of them did.

>And it's worth noting those handbooks aren't even canon to themselves and have gotten stuff wrong.

Such as?

>Fuck, why can't we just get a TAS universe revival
1. it's a 20 year old cartoon that even the OP admits wasn't as fondly loved as shows of it's time.
2. Spectacular Spider-man was a home run hit and recemented Teenage boy Spider-man. If not for the Disney buy out I wager we would have had 2 more seasons of that
3.The Disney buyout means they can do as they please and likely will frame Spider-man around the new movies
4. The shows age means most wouldn't tune in to watch it, if you were 10 when it came on the air you are 30 now. Most 30 year olds don't watch cartoons, most are busy working, plowing spouses and raising families. 25-38 is considered the weakest TV demographic.

Volume 4 stated that the X-men in Spider-man TAS are not the same as X-Men TAS, when we all know that's stupid as fuck to think.

Weren't most of the DCAU revivals successful though?

There were revivals right? I could've sworn there were revivals.

YJ s3 is rumored to happen. Pretty sure that's it.

I have no idea what you are talking about. The closest we got was a Batman Beyond comic book a few years back.
That last episode of the DCAU is still JLU 39: Destroyer. May, 2006.

Nah, they also had the web series staring Harley Quinn and Catwoman. And I think there were also a few movies set in that universe, but with all the animated movies DC pushes out it's hard to say for sure.

If he's talking DC animated universe, that's not part of Young Justice.

>uck, can we get a petition going or something? I wanna see this now.
The head writer has some kickstarter thing and he's getting the final, unproduced scripts of the show voiced or something.

Gotham Girls was 2002 when JL was still on the air. That's not a revival.
>And I think there were also a few movies set in that universe
3 Batman, 1 batman Beyond and 1 weirdly non canon Superman film, but they all came out when the DCAU had episodes going. The last one was in 2003(Mystery of the Batwoman) right as Justice League was airing.

Nothing was made after 2006 when the universe was officially retried.

>people saying x-men wasn't well-animated
>people saying it wasn't better animated than spider-man

good joke

>kickstarter
>for trying to revive something that is out right own by one of the three most powerful studios in the World.
I might as well burn my money.

I don't have a reaction image that would show my approval of your DCAU knowledge.
This will have to do.

It's all legally cleared, lawyers and shit.

>So why is X-Men so critically acclaimed even in comparison to Spider-Man TAS?

Don't hurt me Spiderman

Ain't gonna lie: I wanna nut on them abs.

I would say they're on par.
its a shame that they're remembered so well, and everyone kinda forgets about the other Marvel 90s TV shows (though those were generally of lesser quality)

I was born 83 and grew up with all this shit. Loved it all for what it was warts and all. That said I do not want to retread any of it. The past is the past. Beside I don't think we all understand how monkey paw bad any of this can go. A lot of shows have had revivals that made the show worse than better. There was a time long ago Sup Forums like Family Guy but 10/12 try hard seasons later and it is just garbage with nothing that made the old show charming thus making many wish that it was never pick back up.

Agreed
toon.is/x-men-3x06-phoenix-saga-part-4-the-starjammers-video_ead97081e.html
can't find just a link to this battle but jump to 17:10. This was awesome to watch as a kid.

In the season 4 episode "The Haunting of Mary Jane Watson".

Something happens where his romantic interest is staying behind in some demolishing, exploding complex and he decides to stay there with her while the place collapses. He isn't heard from again from the rest of the series and is even replaced in The Sinister (fuck Insidious) Six by the Vulture

Agree that X-Men's animation was better than Spidy's corner cutting. But let's be frank here- all of Marvel's 90s cartoons had shitty animation. Even for the standards of the time (hate to say it, but even DiC outclassed them on some shows).

X-Men was more hit and miss than downright terrible, I suppose. But remember, it was animated by the same studio (AKOM) who animated yellow people for nearly three decades. But that, coupled with horrendously complicated character designs, made it destined to fail almost instantly.

Soundtrack was more boss as well
youtube.com/watch?v=zzbXXDTnM0Q
youtube.com/watch?v=znLlcGIeIXs
youtube.com/watch?v=gL8D3TB-lz8

The animation ranges from that that to fucking cardboard cut-outs jerking around.

Stylistically it's incredibly inconsistent.

Good on you, I agree as a general rule (and in this case) revivals are a bad idea.
Born 1985 here but only watched parts of the DCAU as a kid.

Now imagine how awesome this would be if not for the bloody censors

>discussing animation studios
Watch out, you'll summon him.

Ron Wasserman is most 90s kids childhood.
inverse.com/article/16166-how-former-x-men-and-power-rangers-composer-ron-wasserman-got-his-revenge

Yeah but see Spider-man ALWAYS looked like cardboard cut-outs jerking around.
At least X-Men had that quality bump every now and then. And even normally it tried harder with shadows and lighting and accuracy to the comics. Add that to the fact that they could actually punch and hurt people...

And comparisons aside, Spider-man's art style was bland and ugly, Peter looked like some generic jock.

lol watch both of them again instead of relying on nostalgia goggles

>they could actually punch and hurt people

Are you shitting me. Wolverine's weapon is his claws and he could never slice anybody. That's a bigger gimp than punching because that's his actual power.

Are you fucking serious with that gif?

Spidey's ending was pretty fucked up.

>alternate reality parker goes batshit and tries to destroy all of the universes

He made a pretty convincing villain too with the symbiotes.

>he could never slice anybody
he chop up cyborgs, robots rock monsters and a lot of other non fleshy things..

This is only marginally better than 60's spider-man, a cartoon that came out like 30 years earlier

He slashed Mr Sinister's back

and fuck off, you and I both know that NO cartoon has ever let Wolverine really slice people, even the most recent ones

Are you guys trying to be edgy contrarians?

You can see the fluidity of his arm and muscle movements, the dangling of his legs.. lol you people

>he made a convincing villain

no shit youtube.com/watch?v=EQSD1E7YjHQ barnes is a beast

It's a really shitty gif

might be a decent shot, but it's hard to tell

Can we all at least agree that Barnes' Spider-Man is the best Spider-Man? youtube.com/watch?v=mwePh8vYYIQ

Upon rewatching Spider-Man TAS recently, I think it's pretty hilarious how they used the older power-set as a basis, before they made the 'he's always holding back' bit canon. So the Kingpin was actually like the strongest dude in the show. Fucker grabs a giant robot by the leg and just flips him over.

TAS Kingpin is top tier