Image Week 4 Storytime: The Wicked + The Divine

25 years ago a bunch of Marvel artists left the Big Two and decided to form their company, with blackjack and hookers. This company would eventually become the closest to a third competitor for DC and Marvel (lol) and the best known creator-owned comic book company out there.

For our final week, we'll be looking at modern Image, an age of superstar writers, popular artists, and... movie/TV pitches?

Our final story is the comic book Sup Forums loves to hate and hates to love, Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie's The Wicked + The Divine

Saga:
Prophet:
Fatale:
Deadly Class:
East of West:
Sex Criminals:

Starting early today

Like how Uber feels like Gillen trying to be Garth Ennis and failing, WicDiv strikes me as Diet Caffeine-free Sandman. Depressing, because the guy who recommended this comic to me kept saying Gillen deserves to be placed alongside Moore, Gaiman, Morrison, and Ellis.

This always struck me as Gillen trying to combine his Young Avengers and Phonogram series. Less Obtuse than Phonogram and it has this Queer cast that tumblr will eat up. I liked it at first but boy the characters I can't stand anymore. If I have to hear another speech about how Woden is the worst but we never see how bad he is, it got on my nerves. If you ever do a full read through look at how much of it is other characters saying "this is who the character is" and never seeing that deeds that give that perception. A lot of it, is just telling.

Holy shit, finally!

Sorry about that, it seriously wouldn't let me post.

He was complicit in that old bitch's conspiracy and did nothing to stop it even when she was gonna sacrifice a little kid. That easily makes him a piece of shit in my book.

This feels like if Steve Buscemi from that "How do you do, fellow kids?" picture wrote a comic.

I feel like an idiot for not being able to follow this. I was along for the ride in the first story arc then I became completely lost with all the other gods that were introduced.

Woden did nothing wrong!

Here's the thing with that....what was her endgame? We don't really know, not really as much as you can say he was a piece of shit for wanting to kill a child but apparently there is this big evil dark thing so I'm really not sure who the piece of shit is when we don't know how you take care of that. Also I think Woden is a piece of shit, but it seems like he's just made be every bad thing strapped onto one person and not a character. He reads like a checklist rather that a person.

Storytime of pain continues today

LOL

Is it an old joke or something? Sorry.

Nah sorry, I just find it funny. I don't like this series much either

Please tell us why you don't like this series, Murderanon. The people I know who read it treat it like gold, and I don't get why.

It just feels kind of.... and I hate this word and normally don't use it... pretentious? Like I can feel the smugness dripping from the pages. Something just rubs me the wrong way about it, that and I loathe McKelvie's art

>I loathe McKelvie's art
Care to explain why?

I just finished reading the first volume, and i'll elaborate my thoughts as well.

Definitely got that from Phonogram. Feels like Gillen takes himself way too seriously. That may not be how he feels but that's what comes through the pages.

It feels bland and sterile, like it doesnt have much personality to it

So as I said, just finished reading the first volume.

I thought the art is technically nice, but lacking character. I just feel nothing. It's polished and I can't find anything technically wrong with it, but it doesn't make me like it.

The gods are huge caricatures, which makes sense, but they feel a bit hollow to me.
I realize I just finished the book and I care very little what happens next. None of the characters got me hooked. The MC is obviously the figure of the fangirl who gets too close to the sun, and it might be fun to watch the "close to the sun" part, but I couldn't be bothered.

The whole theme of them being inspired by real life pop stars, and their influence on the world, is a great idea, but not pushed through. Basically apart from watching "Kanye" be a brash fool, I don't care about the theme.

I thought Luci was borderline annoying with all the "BTW I'M BI" comments about everyone's sexuality, but I managed.

It kinda felt like They Are Not Like Us to me. Nice premise, but boring execution.

Well put, I honestly never made it past this issue so I don't even know how the first volume ends but I wasn't compelled enough to conitnue either

WicDiv just feels like if someone read all of Sandman and wanted to emulate it, but had no idea how Sandman worked.

As a matter of fact, the more I read about this, the more I feel like I should be reading Sandman.