PUNISHER STORYTIME

PUNISHER STORYTIME

Well... technically it's a Shadowmasters storytime, but close enough.

Who are The Shadowmasters?

Back in 1989 Marvel featured a new team of characters, a ninja clan called The Shadowmasters. Expectations for their sales potential must have pretty high, because they were given a rather impressive blitz of promotion in the form of separate spotlighted story arcs in both (then red hot) Punisher ongoings at the time plus their own miniseries with all published right around the exact same time.

The Shadowmasters actually made their debut as recurring, but mostly nameless, background characters in the pages of the early issues of The Punisher War Journal. They made their debut proper as proper ninjas in The Punisher War Journal #8 and then appeared again in the following issue. At about the exact same time they were also given a multi-issue arc in The Punisher that carried through issue #25.

You can read all of those appearances here: This is their dedicated miniseries, originally published around the exact same time as the stories in the first thread. It features some really slick art by Dan Lawlis (who I've never heard of before) and scripts by Carl Potts (who wrote the early issues of The Punisher War Journal). The issues are also double sized, making this a quite long miniseries equivalent to about 8 issues long in terms of page count.

But it's already late as fuck, so no more chatter. Time to read...

THE SHADOWMASTERS #1-4

STORYTIME

IF YOU'RE READING THEN KEEP THE THREAD BUMPED

>IF YOU'RE READING THEN KEEP THE THREAD BUMPED

This is a heck of an opening panel if I ever saw one.

I'm not even reading but here's a bump

I really like this. Totally 80s ninja-rrific.

ISSUE #2

Oh, I see where this could be going. Very classic of these ninja stories.