What are some kino movies or shows in a medieval/antiquity setting? I feel like I've seen all of the good ones

What are some kino movies or shows in a medieval/antiquity setting? I feel like I've seen all of the good ones.

Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mj98zBmZpEo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

besson's jeanne d'arc for some brit skull bashing

The Name of the Rose
The Return of Martin Guerre
1492: Conquest of Paradise (pretty shit compared to the rest)
Henry V
Kagemusha
William the Conqueror

Those are pretty kino.

based mel hated for naming them.

>tfw barely any kino period pieces set after the middle ages but before the French/American revolutions

they hate him because he supports god

Those Ironclad movies are set then but only saving grace is Paul Giamatti as King John. Not very good but worth trying if your bored?

You want fantasy elements in your medieval films?

>tfw no film set in Viking Age Ireland about he rise of Brain BorĂº

Back to normal medieval stories. This one is a tv series that follows monk around who is a detective.

The Messenger is decent

The 13th Warrior is about vikings and an arab.

came here to post these

The 2004 version of the Merchant of Venice is good. It also has a kino soundtrack of medieval music.

The '68 version of The Lion in Winter is really good but there is no action in it. Peter O'Toole should have one the Best Actor Oscar for his performance.

Great movie. Even better book. Interesting hypothesis on Beowulf.

Kingdom of Heaven, El Cid, Arn, Francesco, Excalibur ('81), Valhalla Rising, The Bruce, you can add to that The Pillars of the Earth as a good series and Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Apocalypto as set later in time.

Brother Sun, Sister Moon is my favotire St. Francis movie but Flowers of St. Francis is the more critically acclaimed version.

The Canterbury Tales was adapted into a claymation TV series in the 90s which was good. Some of the episodes are available on youtube:

youtube.com/watch?v=mj98zBmZpEo

Nostradamus is a 1994 film which is a historical biopic about Nostradamus's life: his family; him getting in trouble with religious authorities; his being a doctor during the Black Death which was what he was most famous for in his own time. It does get into the prophetic stuff but it doesn't overwhelm the film. It is a good little known film looking at the medieval world.

Witchfinder General has problems. There are parts of it where the story drags and is boring. It takes place during the rule Cromwell in England, which is technically early modern period, and the story follows Vincent Price as the Witchfinder General as he goes around burning witches in the countryside. That insanity aside, he never comes out and says it, but he doesn't seem to believe his own bullshit and he does it because he is a sadist, greedy and a power hungry asshole. He ends up tormenting this beautiful young girl who he wants sexual favors from in exchange for sparing her. And the girls fiance, who serves in Cromwell's army comes to save her but not before Price tortures her.

No response from OP but I assume medieval films with fantasy elements are ok. Dragonslayer. Good film that takes place in a dark, grimey and superstitious medieval world and follows a very novice wizard's apprentice who attempts to kill a dragon to spare an ungrateful town.

Last one, I have shit to do. If the thread is alive later I'll add more.

Spartacus, Vikings, Rome.

Total kino.

why do they in hollywood hate mel? seems unfair because he believes in god and they dont.

The (((Merchant))) of Venice.
I saw a little of it, did they actually proceed with cutting out his flesh?

What about some Sam Neill-kino?

Not in the play or the film. Why Shylock doesn't get his pound of flesh is an important plot twist so I wont say exactly why.

u have netflix too huh?

Speaking of Shakespeare, Mel Gibson's Hamelt is well done and period specific

that one's great
I love it when they don't overly romanticize the past, like in pic related

I'll be monitoring this thread

Don't let it die

Yeah, Flesh and Blood is a Paul Verhoeven film, same director of Robocop and Starship Troopers. I think Verhoeven has a good eye for respecting his audience enough to make moral judgements themselves without him having to spell it out for them in his films.

Taboo
>mhmm

Franco Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet I think is the best screen adaptation of the play and is set in a medieval town. He also made Brother Sun Sister Moon which I already mentioned.

>medieval

Fucking pedo

First time I saw it was in a highschool English literature class at an all boys Catholic school. So when it got to the bed scene, the whole room went wild.

Had to read the book and watch this movie for another highschool English lit class. It is good if you haven't seen it.