Shadowland: Daughters of the Shadow Storytime

Welcome back Anons! Last time, we read Blood on the Streets, where some corrupt NYPD cops took advantage of the Hand ninja activity to kill crooks who were found innocent. Today, we read Daughters of the Shadow, the last book where Colleen Wing had a starring role.

Outside the one shots, this is the shortest mini-series in Shadowland.

>she sliced into a dude's hand, clearly cutting off fingers

Yeah, Colleen's still hardcore.

You'd expect the Punisher to deal with this kind of thing, but I guess he can't take out EVERY slavery ring.

This is a surprisingly multi-racial slavery ring, in terms of the slaves.

>that lazily pasted-on handprint
Holy shit.

>and then the cops show up

You're only noticing NOW? That's been the opening for every Shadowland issue. I only cut out the ones from the first issue because we don't need a recap.

As an user mentioned last thread, unlike most of her appearances, this is one of the few books where Colleen actually LOOKS Asian. For most of her other appearances, you could be forgiven for thinking she was just a Wolverine-esque Ultraweeb.

Yeah, I don't know how I didn't notice earlier but it really bothers me now, like c'mon, this is Marvel Comics! One of the Big Two! Put a little effort into your shoops at least!

Are soda machines known to be attacked frequently? Because you'd expect a guy famous for defending soda machines with a baseball bat to be locked up.

Man, I'd hate to have senses this strong. Can you imagine having to wake up every night "Oh shit, someone's here!" and it's just your damn dog?

>Your hands don't have to be tied
>Your mother's weren't

As far as I'm aware, this is the FIRST mention of Colleen's mother ever since her creation.

Given Colleen's attitude about killing, I can only presume the "things none of us understand" refers to having an army of killer ninjas and subverting due process, not just killing Bullseye.

Oh boy, it's gonna be one of /those/ stories, isn't it?

So yeah, this takes place well in the middle of Blood on the Streets. When exactly isn't clear.

Oh, so she is usually hit with the Rose Wilson paint brush (probably the other way around technically)

>"And then you had to decided we have to be heroes for hire and work with people we didn't trust. We betrayed innocent people!"

Colleen, he was a monkey, and it was one time. Unless I'm forgetting something, it wasn't THAT often.

While it's something in the background, it's not the meat of the story, although you can be forgiven for expecting it to be.

>those five trucks just parked in front of Shadowland

How ballsy do you have to be to get that close to the ninja fortress?

So, do you think we'll get a new Hand ninja design this time?

It's just that when a writer comes up with something that stupid... well, it's a bad sign.

Remember Anons, Colleen has NEVER had a problem with killing her opponents, so even if beating hand ninjas DID count as murder, she wouldn't care here.

It wasn't clear what Colleen's background was at the beginning, but Claremont (yes, the same one who is responsible for X-user's madness) DID give her a Japanese grandfather.

Hey PM-IFAnon, have you ever played Super Contra and also does your mom have a dick?

Has anyone ever sat in one of those massive stone chairs? I can't imagine they're any comfortable.

She seemed pretty okay with ignoring due process earlier when she was in the rub-and-tug, even commenting on it in her inner monologue

Given she probably approves of killing Bullseye, Colleen is the only one who's this friendly with Matt at this point.

To be fair, Bob Harras and pals are probably going to cause me a lot more pain than Claremont in the future.

Here you go, basically the only information we EVER get on Colleen's mother.

And this is the group Colleen is leading. I think the character designer got drunk when they designed that last one.

Rose was always half-Hmong (vietnamese) from creation, but almost no artist ever bothered to try to draw her as a Hapa. The current Deathstroke series is doing better at that, but I think that might be due to Priest constantly referencing her heritage in every other issue

And now some background on Colleen. Normally I'd skip this, but this also has some pictures of Colleen, just so you can tell what I mean when I say "she hasn't looked Asian for most of her existence."

>"Colleen bacame involved with Cyclops for a short time after this encounter until he abruptly ended the relationship, returning to Jean Grey."

Yeah, that was a thing. During one of the many times Cyclops thought Jean was dead, he dated Colleen for a bit. This was before she went Dark Phoenix, so he didn't expect her to come back from the dead this time.

If Claremont didn't do so well, they probably wouldn't have had NEARLY as many spin-offs, and having to post that many is typically why I refer to you as mad.

This page right here is part of why I posted this. Months ago, someone brought up the possibility that the reason Colleen doesn't get as much publicity as Luke, Danny, or Misty, is because she's just a woman with a sword, with little room for power creep.

According to this page though, after she Mind-Melded with Danny in one of the first issues of Iron Fist, she got chi manipulation abilities, giving her enhanced strength and a minor healing factor. That could lead to some power creep with her, much like the others got some as well, if someone wanted to.

Your sword's looking pretty small there, Colleen.

Underrated ship desu

Yeah, that's true

>"Let's get one thing straight. I am not a NINJA."
>"I am a SAMURAI."

Seriously, all these others look comparatively normal, and then there's Makro here, the daughter of Doctor Octopus.

Despite what you may think, Yuki's white there is just make-up, not a mask, unless the writer forgot not to move her lips.

I can't imagine they could get away with drawing her white if she didn't literally have a suplot where she goes back to her maternal family, who are ALL Asian.

So we're into the third Shadowland issue now, and Daredevil has already officially declare the hand ninja's ban on killing lifted.
Despite that, look at Matt's smiles here.

>Last time, we read Blood on the Streets, where some corrupt NYPD cops took advantage of the Hand ninja activity to kill crooks who were found innocent.

And man was it disappointing. Making Scarfe a ninja was stupid. Making him a serial killer shows utter contempt for the very idea of supporting casts and therefore even worse.

So remember that massage parlor from last issue?

And I guess Makro goes to help her?

>Actually, mom, the plural is just ANIME, got it?

>Japanese human trafficking

Huh, that's a new one on me. Usually this kind of operation'd be with like, Chinese or SE Asian girls, recruiting from the multitudinous poor.

It's something you really notice when you go from reading modern Marvel to Silver-Bronze age Marvel that, at some point, they stopped doing supporting casts.

Alright, can anyone even hazzard a guess as to what Cherry Blossom is playing?

I would argue that since hitting the Bendis era, "a little effort into your shoops" is expecting too much from Marvel.

Computers were a mistake.

Remember the guy from the first issue? The very sight of which caused X-user to sigh a sigh I can only imagine he also sighed when he realized "Oh fuck, I'm going to have to post Battle of the Atom"?

Check the next page, they weren't even all asian.

Not to go full weeb, but Cherry Blossom is just the translation for Sakura, right? Why not call her that? It's not like Yuki is called "Snow".

>"Where is he?"
>"Fuck you."

Dude, look around, they clearly have no problems killing. Seriously, the balls on this guy.

>Councilman Shake

Guess he moved over from Jersey, then.

>"Makro helps the guy weigh his options."
>Octo-claw right at his junk

I guess once his balls are what's being targeted, he doesn't mind that much.

Because the writer didn't want to deal with Cardcaptor jokes.

>they're just dragging the fucker behind them on top of a ripped off car door

I can only imagine how loud that would be.

Yeah, I kind feel like it was just ignored as they went with "she was raised by her dad"

>suddenly Hand ninja

Well, shit.

>"I feel a tiny throb of doubt slip away."

How long do you think this will last?

"TrueFace, because Facebook is technically copyright protected."

Is this the first time Japanese Grampa got a name?

>"Remember that throb of doubt? I have no idea what I was thinking ignoring it."

If you guessed "two pages", congratulations, have a cookie.

Well, the Ninja Death Cult thing is a bit less acceptable even for her, I think.

Well shit, that didn't last long.

Where in that backstory is there room for her hooking up with Lee Wing, though?

Well Naruto had been running for years, while that had been over by now, so if you have to blame anything, so if you have to pick where they'd be ashamed of the name...

>metal fan straight to the neck

Last issue for today, Anons!

Possibly. I can't recall if his name were mentioned anywhere else, but Colleen doesn't get nearly as much focus as she deserves, so it may have just been mentioned a long time ago, and I forgot.

There's nothing there saying she didn't lead the nail while with Lee.

Naruto IS the other thing I thought about, yes.

A surprising number of people just ignore the whole "leader of a cult of revived corpse ninjas" thing. And by "a surprising number", I mean everyone.

The only reason I haven't forgotten it is because I'm in a group filled with casuals, and they're CONSTANTLY talking about it, whereas I forgot about it once it finally ended.

So yeah, looks like Cherry Blossom here is on Colleen's side.

>"Now."

Remember when they made a big deal in the last issue that she REFUSES to speak English? Assuming they didn't just forget to add the symbols in that text box, that's quite the interesting choice.

>"You're a lawyer under there. Do people know that?"

Yes, basically the entire city knows exactly who he is, and has for at least months.

I'm guessing by this point, she already caught Rafe for the whole "impersonating a ninja and killing people" thing.

Yeah, this is the closest to actual backstory we get for any of these women.

>"Are you with me?"
>"Absolutely."
>"For the time being."
>"... I'm here, aren't I?"

You might as well have said, "Eh, sure."

>"Misty, Matt offered me information about my mother. Stuff he's holding back. You have to understand how much I need that."

I can only assume this means Colleen knows as much about her mom as we, the readers, do.

Man, you've been early 4 days in a row, cool

Well my sleep schedule is back to normal again, so I can manage this without falling asleep during work or in the middle of the threads (again).

Doesn't seem either of the two were too worried about his wife.

>"But if you're tired of following, go lead a New Daughters of the Dragon, but do it on YOUR terms."

Unlike the other minis, this doesn't get a sequel series, even though it all but begs for one here.

Misty here is using the same strategy I use in any stealth game I play.

It's clearly working a lot better for her.

A series starring Colleen Wing and a bunch of female OCs wasn't exactly gonna attract many readers.

Man, cameras are really screwing over Colleen lately.

Especially when the OCs look fuckawful.

Remember Cherry Blossom's reaction here.

And I won't argue that, merely hammering in for those holding out hope that Colleen really never does get any stories about HER after this, whereas Misty got two team-up books, and is currently a supporting character in, of all books, CAPTAIN AMERICA.

>Keep your passport, you're a slave
This is the kind of shit you expect from Qatar, but sadly it probably does happen to poor immigrants in American cities as well.

Well that fight didn't last long.

>The rite of continuity

And despite what you may have expected with the minor foreshadowing that, I suppose I could've just imagined, Yuki never suddenly reveal she was secretly on Colleen's side, or even does anything to stand out.

If we're lucky, the Netflix popularity might give both of them a boost. Marvel seems to want to revitalize its street-level books, which sadly means giving a bunch of them to Bendis.

Based on that last panel, and her reaction earlier, I can only assume Colleen made up "The Rite of Continuity", and hoped that nobody would call her bluff.

And that's it for today, Anons.
See you tomorrow, as we go back to Parkerbolts, for the final Shadowland tie-in.