>make 6 episodes and put it on Nicktoons
>its one of their highest rated shows
>cancel it anyway and give two seasons to Edgar and Ellen

Making Fiends deserved better.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zsMQrD5f5rY
youtube.com/watch?v=tk862BbjWx4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I liked the Toupee episode. It was fairly dark.

>its one of their highest rated shows
source? because they didn't promote it at all and barely anyone ever brings it up. I'll agree it got treated like shit (like most nick shows that aren't spongebob) but if the ratings were really that high they would of actually given a shit about it like The Loud House and ordered a second season immediately

it was one of their highest rated on Nicktoons, not Nick.

You forgot to mention that the original creator lost ALL rights to their series and isn't allowed to even make internet shorts for it anymore. Meanwhile Nick has no plans for it other than to hold onto the rights so that no one else can have them.

She got back the rights ages ago

Burn Nick to the ground and lynch their employees.

I think she only got permission for an April Fools episode.

No, Ive seen more videos than just that one. It's shitty, but at least she can do stuff with it again

Im more angry about what happened to Megas XLR

that still isn't enough to warrant a second season? ffs Kappa Mikey even got a second season.

>hold onto the rights so that no one else can have them.
This shit should be illegal, there's way too much junk being hold onto by assholes. There should be a fucking law about this.

>Im more angry about what happened to Megas XLR
Yeah at least someone owns the rights to Making Fiends. Megas has been cast into the void.

making fiends, making fiends, something something, making fiends~...

youtube.com/watch?v=zsMQrD5f5rY

>show is too expensive to produce and doesn't has the viewership to keep it afloat
>not only cancel it but count it as a tax loss and liquidate all rights
>if the creators want the rights, they can't because it no longer exists
has there ever been a show as fucked as Megas XLR? the creators expressed numerous times that they wanted to continue it but it's impossible to get the rights

I remember liking Edgar and Ellen.

it's just criminal

I think they might still be able to buy the rights.
Problem is Cartoon Network doesn't give a shit.

Making fiends, making fiends! Vendetta's always making fiends!

>if the creators want the rights, they can't because it no longer exists
they exist, it's just that someone bought it and the current owner is unknown. At best Krstic could make a new show that's a spiritual successor but the animation costs are too demanding and nobody would pick it up. If Samurai Jack does great in ratings it's possible that Megas could get a second chance albeit a different name and characters but it's also possible the person who owns Megas could sue them because after all, they own the rights.

It's an extremely weird legal situation that prevents any progress

Holy fuck, someone else remembers this show.

I really can't believe Nick went full dick-mode on poor Amy Winfrey. The TV show was extremely good, and I would've bet that had it not got canned, it would've been considered a Nick classic. Heck, the Making Fiends website's FAQ said that seven more half-hour scripts were written. (And yes, the website's still up. It's even had art contests every year up to 2015.)

Thankfully it didn't appear to kill Amy's career (her official website's About page says she works on BoJack Horseman), but still, it fucking hurts to have a company betray you like that.

I can only pray that Nick gets off their asses and actually uses the rights to this show again, but so far, it only seems to be wishful thinking.

Charlotte a best.

>Buy the rights to a property
>Don't do anything with it
>Not even hold it hostage for ransom

There are still like 5 or 6 episodes finished but unaired and shelved on Nick.
Also she lost all rights to continue the web series. At least give her the copyrights back, if you don't plan to do anything anyway.

Just do it.
If CN is claiming copyright, they should've paid taxes for it.
And in general the copyright law needs a rework. Disney's fuckery needs to be undone. Ironically most of Disneys iconic movies would be illegal if Disneys copyright fuckery was allowed back then.

>Making Fiends
>Megas XLR
Add Sym Bionic Titan to the list.

The fucked up thing is the creators went to Cartoon Network to find out who has the rights and CN either had no idea or they refused to tell. Essentially it's all Cartoon Network's fault. That's the shady shit you have to deal with when working with TV execs.
1.They need the funding and there's not enough fans to provide a successful kickstarter. Titmouse only did the intro, Cartoon Network produced the show itself.
2.Krstic tried to pitch a similar show to Nickelodeon and they didn't want it. There isn't a real demand for mecha action cartoons

Strange because Voltron is doing well.

>count it as a tax loss and liquidate all rights
that has to be the single scummiest thing Cartoon Network has ever done, all the more worse considering they've done it at least 3 times(Megas, SBT, BTB)

wait, so if i just make a mega xlr web toon, someone would have to sue me sooner or later right? bingo, found the owner.

But then you're being sued.

gotta get to the owner somehow.

Netflix is not a TV station relying on their local population for focus testing and the ancient ratings system of maximum inaccuracy. Netflix has real viewer data.

Might I remind you that the nielsen system bases their ratings on a population sample of a few thousand, most of whom are just given a notebook to write down what they watch, so they can lie about anything they feel ashamed to be viewing. You know, such as "I ain't telling them I watch this stupid robot show, it's for children!"

could do it under a fake ID

I once read that if your pitch is greenlit by one of the big three, then you should be prepared to give up all rights to it.
Is this actually true Sup Forums? Is there anyway way we could improve the current situation if it is?

it's not completely universal(Danny Antonucci still partially owns the rights to Ed, Edd, n Eddy from my recollection)

Kickstart your series and distribute it online.

Literally no, this is no different from a game company giving you money to create your dream project but getting the rights from it. or you know just crowdfund your own show

People have tried with the video game industry and that's generally easier when it comes to these things.
What makes you think anyone can change cartoons?

remember kids, don't sell your soul to jews

Yep unless you work magic like Antonucci did with Ed Edd n Eddy the minute your pitch is lit the company owns it. Unless internet animation becomes more profitable then TV this is how things will stay. Maybe another Homestar will come around and be a big success online but there needs to be a TV channel worth of Homestars and ratings on TV need to tank harder. That's the only way things might change

Blame Disney for the fucked up copyright laws

Same goes for Kids Next Door.

Homestar Runner was something rarer than lightning in a jar. You can't exactly have something like that again

Sauce?
This is the first I've heard of this.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but what did Disney do specifically with their copyright?

youtube.com/watch?v=tk862BbjWx4

Shit lasts literally forever because of them

>Show debuted in October
>Last episode premiered on November 1, 2008
Could've it been Halloween-related?