LotR

Why didn't the ring corrupt Bilbo?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rag_9J1ZC2g
youtube.com/watch?v=8Tgi-j56ueU
youtube.com/watch?v=eMWnDC__o4s
streamable.com/2qkut
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bilbo was the ring the whole time, brainlet.

Bilbo had a heart of gold.

read the book stupid

That CGI aged like shit

hobbits are OP

2 spooky

Why do you think his relatives hated him? He kept molesting their kids

Hobbits aren't easily tempted by power and the like.

Remember when Frodo started to become influenced seriously was after he had been traveling through mountains, eating nothing but bread and then gets stabbed by a spider and presumably raped by orcs.

I did a long time ago.

As you can see by the very image you posted it was on the verge of doing so which is exactly why he had to leave it to Frodo

It looks fine, there's plenty of other CGI to complain about.

oh man, now I would never be able to watch lotr again without thinking about orcs rapig Frodo

thanks a lot

hobbits don't desire power, they just want a comfy peaceful life. even through it did end up effecting Frodo and Bilbo it was relatively minor compared to men and elfs

hobbits dont give a shit about things the other races did
When sam gets the ring for a little bit he thinks about how he could make everything into a garden but then he just gives it back to frodo. Frodo knew he had to destroy it the whole time. Also the rings corruption got stronger with Sauron getting stronger too

Just by looking at that image I can tell Bilbo has been missing his scooby snax. The void from the ring has not been kind to him.

This, walking for weeks through mordor while starving and without sufficient water to drink would push anyone over the edge. Guess the whole situation was really getting to frodo, the hopelessness of the quest, expecting certain death even if they succed in destroying the ring, the strain of actually wearing the ring around your neck and constantly fighting it's temptation and power off.

No it didn't. Watch that scene. Still spooky as fuck.

Why didn't the ring just tempt the hobbits with food?

CARRY

Well that is because it wasn't the way it was actually written. Orcs don't rape meat. They eat it. They weren't going to rape him, they were going to eat him. Or at least the Mordor orcs wanted to. The Uruks wanted to obey orders and turn him in to Sauron.

Now it's up to you to decide if eating sapients is worse or better then rape. Personally, I would choose being eaten.

Hobbits were blessed with two very important things that made the ring less influential to them. A resistance/inability with magic. They also had a immense desire to just enjoy life with very little desire to inflict their will upon others. That is not something the ring can really latch onto for it's chicanery.

Men were easily corrupted for their desire to make their short lives matter. Dwarves were corrupted through greed, especially for gold and the like. Elves were corrupted through their desire for perfection and overwhelming pride that they had naturally. Especially the Noldor.

>He doesn't want to be raped by a train of big-dicked muscly black Uruks
What a faggot

It's not cgi. It's a super detailed model of Ian Holmes face that's digitally superimposed over him making the same face. He was so impressed by the bust that he asked Jackson if he could keep it, and now has the scary bilbo bust in his house.

> those final scenes with Sauron falling and the hobbits running out of the volcano
So many scenes that still make me tear up

The moment that always get's me is the charge of the Rohirrim in return of the king, king Theoden the based was/is such a cool character, even more so in the books imo. That moment when you hear the horn, when they begin to their ride and the soundtrack kicks in, it's so fucking good.

Bilbo and Sam are the only two people to ever willingly give up the ring.
Its because both of them are Tolkien's stand ins.

This guy has it down.

The hobbits literally only cared for ensuring they lived happy if not mundane lives. They just wanted to shoot the shit and were content with happy, unextraordinary lives. The way the hobbits lived was a complete opposite of what Sauron desired and used to corrupt other people’s of Middle Earth.

nigger just look at the image you posted

Why the ring didn't turn sauron invisible?

he wore a glove lol

Why didn't arwen take frodos virginity?

smeagol was also a hobbit...

>bilbo
>wears the ring most of the time
>actually makes him age slower

>gollum/smeagol
>wears the ring once
>turns into a ball skin abomination

Is it ever explained why Sauron and the Nazgul almost exclusively communicate with autistic screeching?

all the rings are a part of sauron, and so are the nazgul

they don't need to communicate because they're bound to his will

What the fuck is his problem?

Bilbo just wanted to share his special dark roast blend.

1. it's HIS ring
2. it doesn't just give you an invisibility buff, it brings you to the spirit realm. because sauron as a maia is already a spirit perhaps he is sort of omnipotently present in both realms

Bilbo only had the ring on for short periods over a few decades and it had started to corrupt him obviously.

Gollum had the ring on for short periods, but over hundreds of years, on his own and it turned him into a babbling, scrotal waif.

Frodo had the ring only for a short time but he used it a lot and it had started to corrupt his mind at the end.

The extended edition version of that scene transitions really smoothly from the witch king to the rohirrim

Hobbits are simple folk.

Rohan really gains a lot from the extended version, the meeting of Saruman and Theoden is another great scene in my opinion, always loved how furious Theoden is.

>gollum/smeagol
>wears the ring once
>turns into a ball skin abomination

Didn't he spend centuries wearing the ring, and also years being tortured and mutilated in orc dungeons?

in the books the 9 communicate with language

It did, your pic proves it. He was well on his way to becoming a Smeagol type character, if Gandalf hadn't gotten him to give it up he would've lived forever and morphed into that thing.

According to Tolkien he originally was a Maiar (think angel) in service to the smith/craftsman deity who really liked making sure everything was in it's proper place and working well. Not!Satan seduced him to evil with promises about making the whole of reality run like a well oiled machine, which led to Sauron eventually despising things like free will and that messed up his perfect system.
TLDR: It was OCD

Christ it's literally in the film for less than a second. It does its job.

Frodo carried the ring in a distance almost as long as the distance between England and a good way into Turkey, and it wasn't until then he started to be seriously tempted by its effects like happened to Isildur after a much shorter time
Keep in mind this also was after a serious amount of uses

Gollum was also a hobbit, but that shit took like 700 years or something before he actually was ruined by it

When Bilbo grabs after the ring, that is indeed the ring's effect, so he is in a way already corrupted, but not consumed by it like Gollum or Isildur

>2.
Yeah this is it. His body that we see in the Fellowship is a physical construct that he 'built' to exist specifically in the spirit world. Since he, as a being, already exists in the spirit realm, the ring cannot 'shift' him into it.

>that he 'built' to exist specifically in the spirit world.
Sorry this should say: 'that he built to exists specifically in the MORTAL world.

Goddamnit these movies are too good, just rewatched the extended cuts and the Balrog CGI somehow looks way better than whatever that fucking fire creature was in the new Thor (which I only watched for Mommy). Pure fucking kino.

>that whole scene on the staircase
top tier

Favourite Lotr moments?

> I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
> So do Alwo Livtocesu, Chtymesbutté Datiznoth, Fordemdode'ayd Alwë, Av'dòisse de Coyde, Watto du Wittë, Dimedatiz Givhen "Tousse" Deraroth Erffources, Atvorkin Tiswold, Frodo Besiddins (relative of Frodo?), Devil of Evil, Bilbo Wasmint, Duphaunde Ringin, Witch Caseyo, Wheralzomeent Dohavit and Datizan Encuradgingougt.

I admit I didnt read Silmarillion. Who were he refering to? Previous ringbearers?

when eagles save the day
lmao

>m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rag_9J1ZC2g

>Fey he seemed, or the battle-fury of his fathers ran like new fire in his veins,
>and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the
>battle of the Valar when the world was young.
I fucking love Theoden.
youtube.com/watch?v=8Tgi-j56ueU

I read in an earlier thread that the reason that the god of the universe was so hands off was because he didn't want to get corrupted by the ring and then ruin all of creation.

Gollum was kept alive hundreds of years because of the ring, retard.

>Didn't corrupt
>Post picture of corrupted Bilbo
what did he mean by this?

They smoked enough weed to not think about it that much

Gollum (smeagol) killed his friend (deagol) fighting for the ring immediately after finding it

I thought it was specifically stated his kind were LIKE hobbits while being distinct enough not to be hobbits.

proves nothing except that smeagol was inherently bad. if the ring can affect you from just looking at it then why didnt the fellowship murder each other for ownership during their first council?

>Gollum was also a hobbit, but that shit took like 700 years or something before he actually was ruined by it
Smeagol was corrupted by it almost immediately. That's why he killed Deagol for it.
Bilbo on the other hand stumbles on it by accident, then wins rights to it through a fair contest, and then earns a reprieve from its negative effects because he spares Gollum.
Gandalf speculates that

youtube.com/watch?v=eMWnDC__o4s

So autism?

>streamable.com/2qkut
thank for the hearty kek

That being said, even Gandalf likely would have been tempted by the Ring in the heart of Mt. Doom, it's ultimate place of Power. Only by the intervention of Eru Illuvatar's blessing was the world freed of the corruption Sauron had wrought, and Gollum received his due reward in oblivion.

Though it must still be said that while Frodo had no choice but to fall victim to the Ring's power in that place, he still paid a price for his sin in losing a finger.

That's absolutely retarded. Sauron's Ring was shit to Eru Illuvatar, but His Song and the correction of Melkor's Discord all happen according to His Plan in His Time.

Gollum/Smeagol went 100% meth addict so quickly because of how he acquired it (murder). Bilbo just put it in his pocket for 60 years and just thought it was a neat toy that occasionally urged him to jerk off to it.

Smeagol was a Stoor. Stoors were a proto-hobbit race who ended up in the Shire and blended with two other hobbit like races, and created Hobbits.

he put it on his dick

He was a Stoor, but Stoors still exist and live in the Shire and elsewhere so its not like they are proto-hobbits.

Neat, there's always so much extra lore to LOTR, Was Tolkein really writing stories from antediluvian prehistory? I think about that sometimes. Gornoya Shoria looks like something leftover from a fantasy age

Yes. The books themselves are premised to be things Tolkien found and translated from fhe accounts of some early 1000s ad anglo saxon explorer. Who translated them from the stories written directly by Bilbo, Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin (and their descendents). The Silmarillion is a translation by Bilbo, of what Elrond wrote and told him while Bilbo stayed in Rivendale. The oldest parts of the story are basically elf creation myths from what the Valar told them happened.

Tolkien was an Old English literature and history scholar, read the works he studied and you’ll find everything which makes LotR great.

Do I ask /x/ or /his/?

You could just read all of Tolkiens books too. I personally find the Silmarillion to be the best and most interesting one. But you could probably find hardcore lotr nerds on literally any board here. /tg/ is actually probably the best bet for obvious reasons.

the ring has second thoughts about corrupting manlets.
the ring is like a women with self-respect, and a woman with self-respect isnt gonna chose a manlet to fill her hole, especially not after you've become a widow to an alpha such as sauron.

>A resistance/inability with magic.
Nonsense. Tolkien never stated this. The only thing he said is that the ring externalizes who you already are, and that halflings are hardier than they look. In fact, the only human who carried the ring, Isildur, showed no effects of the ring, whereas Sam, was corrupted with visions of grandeur before giving the ring back to Frodo. And the Ring DID corrupt Frodo, because at the moment of his throwing the ring into the lava, he claims it for his own, and the only reason it's destroyed is Gollum bites off the finger it's on, and it falls. Bilbo was corrupted as well, which is why he turned it over to Frodo, at Gandalf's urging.
If hobbit's were resistant to magic, then Frodo wouldn't have been so badly injured by the Nazgul blade on Weathertop. Or the bunch of them put under a spell by wights in the tomb where Bombadil saves them. Smeagol was a proto-hobbit, yet he showed no resistance to the Ring from the moment he saw it, when his cousin fished it up.
This "hobbit's are resistant to magic" nonsense keeps getting posted, with nothing to back it up. If there's a cite from Tolkien's own writing that says that, please post it, otherwise, stop asserting it.

The other stuff, their lack of lust for power, is probably one of the more accurate assertions, and Tolkien wrote about that, with how the Ring externalizes your true identity and wants/needs/lusts. That's why Bombadil could touch it, he had no need for it.

I read the triology as a teen and Hobbit when I was much younger, so it's been a good while since I examined the stories. Never got to read the Simileron, I thought I had someone else's copy in a box of old books but it turned out to just be the Companion to Narnia instead. How old do you think the stories he read are? Even the notion that tales from the end of the last ice age or earlier existing is an incredibly tantalizing thing to me.

Yeah, no. Smeagol lived for I think 600 years, and didn't go under the mountain for a while, after getting the ring. His transformation was over time. He also used the ring constantly, to catch fish and goblins to eat, in the caves. He discovers the ring is missing when Bilbo wins the guessing game, because he was going to use it to murder Bilbo.

First, it's Silmarillion (and you'll understand why it's important, and what they are), second, don't expect a book like the Hobbit or the LOTR. It's not a book with conversations and such, it's more of a history book. Interesting in the lore, but not for the dialog.

>Interesting in the lore, but not for the dialog.
That's actually more up my alley than a straight-up story.

Then you'll def enjoy it. It's like a blending of mythology books, The Illiad and Odyssey, the Bible, and Gilgamesh. It's powerful stuff, i found i had to read it slowly, to really take it all in. There are great, EPIC stories in it.

Don’t be a grammar fag, fag.

Combination of alcohol and unfamiliarity with the book was my fault, not grammer-user's.

So it's just more or less the history of middle-earth?
AKA our forgotten pre-history stretching back into the last ice-age?

I didn't correct his grammar, dummy. I corrected his spelling.

Seriously, how dumb are you? Do you even know what grammar is?

Pretty much. He goes from the creation of the universe, up to the downfall of Numenor. Here's the index, it'll give you an idea of what he covers.

>tfw even considering the idea that this much history could have taken place in the distant past of humanity's 300,000 (confirmed so far) years on Earth
Even if only fiction, it'd be fascinating in it's own right, but coupled with the notion of even just broad themes in it being true tellings of history makes me need to know more.

sauron's power had waned so the ring couldn't corrupt people as quickly/strongly as it could at other times. i think. but bilbo is still corrupted by it, though not to the same extent as smeagol.

Funny thing is, there really was no true way to destroy the ring, the Fellowship was a massive failure. Even Frodo, the guy with the purest heart in Middle Earth was incapable of tossing the ring. If they never happened upon Gollum during their journey or if Sam killed him, no one could have dropped the ring in Mordor.

This was the only legitimate path to victory that the Fellowship had in defeating Sauron. If even the slightest detail went another way, the mission was doomed to failure

Maybe Sam would have tackled Frodo into the lava, or was he tempted by the ring at that point too? He seemed pretty set on getting the job fucking done, even if they didn't get to go home.

The closer the Ring got to destruction, the more intense it's mental poisoning was. Sam felt temptations and delusions of grandeur pretty early in RotK. The effect would have been too debilitating. Tolkien said in a letter that no mortal on Middle Earth was capable of destroying the ring.

Ironically, in the end, it was Gollum's love for the ring which was what destroyed it

smeagol was corrupted over hundreds of years to become gollum. bilbo only had it for like 80 years

Fascinating, it's been too long since I both read or watched the series, perhaps a revisit on both is in order.

they talk in Black Speech and common on the books, why Jackson did the autistic screeching thing was just to make them feel like spectres/banshees/menacing wraiths

Why not just give the ring to sauron? Look he brought it right to mirror and doom mountain.

Murica

USA USA USA