The Great Debate

The Great Debate

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY
youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A debate implies both sides have some subjective merit to their arguments
Yeah. No. Anyone who claims GRRM is anywhere near Tolkien's level is objectively retarded.

Literally who would debate in GRRM's favor, including GRRM?

One practically defined a genre. The other is a fat fuck who can't finish writing his own books.

Tolkien creates great worlds but is fucking abysmal at telling a decent story. Debate me.

guy on the right looks like he knows how to make a good tax plan

I hope this is a fucking bait.

Has he even described the tax plan of any ASOIAF characters in his books?

Both are garbage.

Tolkien is to creative literary genius what Martin is to hack pulp idiocy. They both so far surpass anyone else in their field that they will be remembered 1,000 years from now as a kind of yin and yang of fantasy, a Manichean duality of speculative letters. For every sublime, luminous beauty that Tolkien has gifted the world, Martin has cursed us with a tedious, banal ugliness. It is unfair to compare the two directly on any one point, because Martin is in every way the anti-Tolkien, patently sterile, parasitical, and inferior, but so much so that he becomes a monument in his own right, and counterbalances Tolkien. Could one exist without the other? Tolkien obviously could. But it is only by the contrast that Martin offers that we can truly appreciate the full depths and heights of Tolkien. Our understanding of Tolkien would be incomplete if Martin had never set pen to page. It is through only the abject failure and futility of Martin that we can approach an apprehension of the true scope and scale of Tolkien's hitherto inconceivable greatness. Perhaps this is what Tolkien had in mind when he wrote about the Music of the Ainur. If Tolkien is a subcreator in the image of Eru, truly Martin is like unto Melkor. It is only reflected in the awfulness of the one that we can fully see the goodness of the other.

There's nothing to debate.

>endless, meaningless descriptions of countryside
Hmmm

A man who literally fought at the Somme vs some fatso slob that can't even finish his series cuz he's a lazy cunt.

Even Martin doesn't think he's as good as Tolkien. He wants to be him, it's why he added the "R.R." to his name

This.

I don't think Martin would ever put himself against Tolkien, just feels blasphemous to even consider it.

Yeah that’s all that Tolkien writes
You, an user among millions of anons have figured it all out and once and for all BTFO JRR Tolkien and all his writings
Here I thought Children of Huron was a great and moving tragedy but now I realize I simply read a meandering and sprawling list of adjectives describing what the land looked like in different parts of middle earth

>Sucking off Tolkien this much
Shakespeare makes Tolkien look like an 8-year-old.

There is no comparison. Tolkien is objectively better in every category of merit. Reading through LOTR is a great imaginative journey that can mystify and enrich readers of all ages. ASOIAF is a historical fan fiction soap opera that simulates tension by just killing characters. It also completely falls apart in the 5th book because George got lost in his own plot. You could argue Rowling is a more coherent and creative writer than GRRM but they are both vastly inferior to Tolkien.

I like to think of GRRM the same way I think of George Lucas -- fantastic world-builder, but actually pretty weak when it comes to the execution of the stories he tells.

American Graffiti notwithstanding for Lucas (can't say for GRRM, as I've only read ASOIAF).

Tolkien didn't have the collective internet licking his taint on a daily basis.

>Great
At least finish the damn story firstly

>Tolkien didn't have the collective internet licking his taint on a daily basis.

>implying Tolkien didn't just stop writing half of the way through the battle of Balls Deep.

Why are /lit/fags so passive aggressive? Bunch of them are tumblrwhales as well.

"Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was shitting brown water. The more she drank the more she shat but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew".

what was Shelob's tax plan??

>oldfag /tg/ versus nu-/tg/

> You could argue Rowling is a more coherent and creative writer than GRRM
No fucking way, man. That dull cunt? Please.

Yeah total hack, why isn't he describing Aragorn's tax policy and other really important matters?
#baka #winteriscoming #imwithher

Not saying it's a legitimate excuse. ASOIAF would've been finished years ago if nobody gave a fuck about it and GRRM didn't have laurels hanging from his dick

GRRM lacks an adequate number of pages detailing arrow inventory

come on that's like comparing Spielberg and Guy Richie

Yeah I really liked that Shakespeare play about orcs and elves, way better than Tolkien

GRRM can't even finish his narrative work.

The reason why it feels so blasphemous is because GRRM has homosexuality in his books whilst Tolkien follows Abrahamic morality.

better times, when orcs were orcs

>Tolkienbabby insecure about his genre fiction
Hilarious. No wonder you guys harass GRRM fans.

GRRM has been at it for 21 years

>cherrypicking, comparing to some of the greatest novels of the last 200 years, quote /lit directly

nice try kiddo

youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

/thread

holy fucking kek

I have no problem with people who argue Tolkien is a better writer than GRRM (in fact, I agree with them). What grinds my gears is that everytime this topic comes up, Tolkien fags resort to "hurr-durr, GOTards BTFO" without actually debating the point.

Consider this an invitation to actually explain your position and not just spear the low-hanging fruit.

/thread

GRRM is the American-tier fantasy writer. Fat, crude, autistics and hopefully dead within the year.

kek you are retarded and there is no way anyone thinks this is true.

What was Aragorn's tax policy?

>Tolkien fags resort to "hurr-durr, GOTards BTFO" without actually debating the point.
What point? ASOIAF is only interesting, because of the character narration jumping chapter by chapter. The story itself is boring.

The best part is how GRRM said he didnt like "fantasy cliches" and his saga will most likely culminate in an epic battle of life vs death, good vs evil with good dragons vs bad dragons.

What a fucking hack. The best thing that could ever happen to him, would be dropping dead so he doesnt have to face actually finishing that dead-end story.

>grrm is shit on purpose, of course he can't compare to classics
Literally proving the image right.

where did I say grrm is shit on purpose? I'm just pointing out that if you're gonna dump on him, the onus is on you to produce better evidence than "in b4 cherrypicking -->proceed to cherrypick" and comparing him to fucking steinbeck.

Why the fuck do people hold the great gatsby in such high regard? It’s not actually that good

>you're not allowed to compare a writer to a better writer
How come? Of course if you compare GRRM to the likes of J.K. Rowling or S. King, then he's decent enough. But that's like comparing shit to shit.

American (((literature))).

Came here for that pasta

I don't disagree with you, but I also think it would be a bit loaded to compare capeshit to Kubrick (which I think is what you're getting at when you compare someone like GRRM to Hemingway)

youtube.com/watch?v=XAAp_luluo0

I agree with you on GRRM, I just wish this debate had a bit more substance seeing as how it comes up so often. In an ideal world, this could be a platform for discussing fantasy and why Tolkien is good author of it and not just "lol GRRM fags get fucked."

Also, for what it's worth, I don't think I've ever seen someone seriously argue that Martin is a better writer than Tolkien (and not be trolling).

Choose your destiny

Thats life. Most people here dont read and only watched the films. One of the best things I ever did was reading Lotr after I read that they started filming it. Ill never forget the one image of the 4 hobbits by the road and the wraith above made me start reading it.

Nowadays noone reads, especially not the teenage autists here. Dont get me wrong, I highly enjoyed ASOIAF, but the tv series spoiling the books ruined it for me.

Tolkien can't compare to classics either.