Seriously why do they keep making episodes that revolve around Ronaldo?

Seriously why do they keep making episodes that revolve around Ronaldo?

Other urls found in this thread:

spamalika.tumblr.com/post/157775042616/nacrepearl-funinthepizzarain-potential
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because maybe, just maybe if you're a very good boy, you'll get an episode where Andy says "YO FRYMAN!"

Because they are that desperate for filler.

Because it's easy to write for a cardboard cut-out and they didn't feel like working that day.

Because they want to bite the hands that feed them, because they're arrogant.

Can someone explain to me what the fuck is going on with his hair? Are those giant dreads he died cheese yellow?

The problem I had with this episode was Ronaldo's Ronalflet (which E:R pointed out Lauren and Hillary were paid to write) saying gems "hate men", It was so obvious what they were doing.

whipping boy, right up there with Kevin.

I consider myself a big fan of this show, but a lot of the criticisms the youtuber E:R has brought up are legitimate.

I think the problem is that SU doesn't know when to drop a character. Every background character has had an episode.

I admire their dedication to developing every recurring character, but I think Ronaldo's a lost cause. He doesn't develop is the problem.

And then a second episode which takes the broadest attribute about the character and repeats it over and over.

Exactly! Ronaldo was just a bad joke that needs to die!

Do you think its fair to say that this show just really isn't very good anymore?

>anymore

>daily reminder that this little faggot is as old as Star and Marco and Katara but he has been emotionally/intellectually/socially stunted because a infantilised protagonist with legitimate autism/aspergers/retardation (seriously who the fuck knows what happened with his chromosomes) is literally the perfect protagonist to view this world through.

I'm surprised more people haven't called the show out on that whole "they hate men" thing. It was obvious what comparison they were drawing there.

>tfw Steven Universe could have been a perfectly told and concise series that tells its entire story in 2 seasons at most with no loose ends or filler if Sugar wasn't making up as she goes along

I wouldn't say the show's bad now because I still think the overarching plot and the music is good. But there are definitely some problems that have not gotten better with time.

Season 1 was pretty tight.

Show lost direction as the plot developed. The crew ditched the most interesting episode format (monster of the week) in favor of pure SoL with occasional plot episodes.
We don't even get weird gem artifact episodes anymore.

He's also older than Dipper and Mabel.

to foreshadow

spamalika.tumblr.com/post/157775042616/nacrepearl-funinthepizzarain-potential

And Aang.

It is concerning how underdeveloped he is for a 14 year old.

He very clearly has social disorder and might be clinically retarded/challenged

Wendy is a single year older than him

No, because SU world doesn't function very similarly to real world. His immaturity can simply just be written off as being to quirky as opposed to missing out on important developments of social/thinking skills.
Also because it's a cartoon and the writers don't account for that.

Except we have Connie who is shown to be a normal child who acts her age.

>Ronaldo is literally the only human that isn't the MC's girlfriend that is interested in the magic lesbian space rocks
>why do they keep making episodes about him
Gee I wonder

>that episode where Steven became concerned that Connie would stop liking him if he never physically grew up
>when in reality a girl like that is going to get tired of his retard act real quick

The excuse would be is that steven is a half-alien with nearly no formal education who lives at home with three emotional and ill-prepared mother/sister figures, with a well-meaning but also quirky father figure, and the implication that steven takes after his mother who could also be dumb at times.

Which is why he needs to GO TO FUCKING SCHOOL

Then they wrote themselves into a corner by having the majority of humans not care a shit about the thing that makes the show interesting

what i dont get is why people dont love episodes that shit on characters they dont like
that is literally the third best way to get me on your side
but that's the show insisting they DON'T hate men. that's a good step. someday they'll realize they do hate men but this shows they conciously choose not to, so once they figure that out about themselves they'll be ashamed and change it. it's just like people who dont realize how much theyre terrified of negroes.

>Back

He never went in the first place.

there's no back in that post user

It was just lazy writing.

>Oh what if people see the crazy rock aliens? Or the huge statue they live in? Won't people catch on?
>Naw fuck that, just have everyone either fall in love with them or not give a shit

He doesn't go to school and his Dad and the gems baby him. When he does try to grow up during his birthdays it's considered a bad thing.

you're mom is desperate for me to filler ass

I just hate how his voice has gotten higher as he's gotten older. Is he going to transition into a woman? Is that why he's acting so feminine?

I still love how that's the biggest fucking plot hole in the story, there's fuck all reason for him not be going

Also inb4 training, he only started training with Connie recently. He spent years doing fuck all and even the first season doing fuck all.

How old was he in the first season?
13?
The gems (and greg I guess) would have had to coddle him for 13 years of his life.

mid season 1 up to end of season 3 had these really cool story arcs that build off each other. Season 4 has been almost nothing but filler.
It's like watching a series in reverse

I have yet to understand why they haven't explored earth more.

Like fuck if you are going to give us a filler, at least make it interesting like him going to Connie's school. Just do SOME world building instead of just putting every fucking episode in the small ass town on the beach that's called Beach City

the world doesn't exist outside beach city

yeah they've made that clear

I keep hoping.

WHY DOES STEVEN'S VOICE SOUND LIKE SHIT

So they can keep beating up a straw man.

adult male imitating his pre-pubescent self

they should have just got Dana Snyder and had him do the majority of the lines in his high pitched tone if that's what they were going for.

I dunno, i think or at least hope theres a way to make ronaldo a good character. Make him the good kind of weeb/dork

Because Ronaldo is the show's strawman, for lack of a better term.
Every time the writers feel like taking potshots at something or making any sort of statement, they use Ronaldo. And since the show loves to use filler whenever they don't want to actually write something engaging, Ronaldo is the perfect material for that. His character is so unpleasant, so defined by being vapid and annoying, that he becomes a tool that allows the writers to make stories with one of the few townies who isn't super friendly with Steven (since you can always just write Ronaldo being a pain to create conflict).
His "character" is more or less whatever the show wants to poke fun at or preach agaisnt at the moment. If anything the latest episode, with shit like
>you can't say rock people that's offensive
more or less reaffirms this.

>E:R
>valid criticisms
He's a shitty Sup Forumstard spamming memes without hardly making any actual argument.

I've had this realization a few days ago myself.
I mean, look, I tried my hardest to accept the shortcomings of the show because I want to like it. I feel like it has potential, that it's got a lot of things in it that I do like.
But god fucking damnit I'm so sick of all this filler and just how saccharine the whole show is. I just want some stakes. Some adventure. Some development of the show's supposed lore. I just want it to DO SOMETHING WORTH WATCHING FUCK

Is season 1 that old that the kid can't sound like himself anymore? Fuck this she's development schedule.

Season 1 was airing in 2013, it's already a four year old show in terms of production, probably even older. (Especially counting the pilot.)

You'd think coming off a show like adventure time as well as having time actually move forward in the show as the core cast develops they would be fine with his voice getting deeper. It just irritates the shit out of me to hear his girly voice in the most recent episode when he sounded and acted older in season 1. That fucking "boo" shit in Bismuth still grinds my gears every time its on.

At this stage i don't even know what the show is trying to do with all of this, its the cartoon equivalent of a soap opera and its not showing signs of getting any better soon (or at all)

Lion IV when

it really is depressing that they ditch the monster of the week plots ENTIRELY after the corrupted gem reveal.

That's so fucking weak.

E;R may be shitposter supreme, but he's on point usually.

His Korra and SU content mainly.

Used his compilation of the gems dance-fucking to disprove a "FUSION IS NOT SEX" faggot the other day.

But Ronaldo's crazy conspiracies about the Gems are suppose to be funny because they end up ironically being semi-true, but where would he get the "they hate men!" thing from the show in-universe? It stands out so much as a "Ha-ha, reference to Tumblr!" rather than funny Ronaldo dialogue. "They hate humans!" would have been better, fit his character, and the soapbox wink wink moment wouldn't have lept out of the screen so hard that you can actually see the writers giving a thumbs up in the backdrop if you squint.

XD

Including that line, even ironically, was definitely a mistake.

That would be all the proof I need to believe in god.

But it was hilarious.

Right now it isn't very good. They keep teasing things without fulfilling. They skip over character development in favor of meaningless townie filler with zero gem relevancy.

Its like a crew that doesn't know what show to make: a lore filled space adventure or a generic sitcom revolving around a town. They've failed to combine these well, for some odd reason.

They're also afraid to just resolve a plot. The only one they did was Peridot's. Everyone else gets their plots put on hold and then just skipped (see: Lapis hates CG's, and now seems to have no issue. See Jasper keeps implying something and gets bubbled. Character arcs of Garnet are nonexistent. Amethyst's self confidence issues came up and went away. Pearl has Mystery Girl hots despite getting over Rose.)

Even if these things are resolved in the future, there so much meaningless filler in-between it gets tiresome. It doesn't help either that the crew feels obligated to make ham-fisted moral messages and rush plots. It's a one-trick pony that got old and is increasingly inappropriate.

Reminder that the Gem Heist arc was just a couple of episodes ago and would have taken a month under a normal schedule.

It just feels like it was all just one episode because they decided to release it as a bomb and then stretch out the filler under a normal schedule.

Season 4 had tons of amazing shit all about Steven getting closer and closer to the reality of his mom killing Pink Diamond, that has been the ENTIRE theme of this season, and it's getting lost in us having to deal with weeks of filler and hiatus between all the significant episodes that do deal with this.

It is though.

Sorry you're some hypersensitive faggot. "Oh hurr they made fun of MRAs" or what the fuck ever.

Still isn't funny

I feel like they could have left that line in verbatim, but then unpacked it a little bit later.
>Ronaldo! The Crystal Gems don't hate men!
>Uh, what? No no no, Steven, look again. That's "Men" with a capital "M," referring to all of humanity. Pay attention, gosh.

Thanks for sharing your shit taste.

To delay the plot.

>It's a Ronaldo episode

Fuuuuuuuuuuck that

>strawmen are okay if I agree

I could easily see SU going the way of Adventure Time; a series with a strong initial run that quickly loses its own identity by creating an overarching storyline that seems to be made up from month to month. The addition of more storyboarders and animators creates a "too many cooks in the kitchen" effect, and character development seems to vanish as quickly as it appears (if it ever appears in the first place).

Currently you have a show that can't decide whether it wants to be a "slice-of-life about Beach City" or an "epic space fantasy full of DEEPEST LORE". One of them should have been picked from the start, except we seem to be getting a 60/40 split. You can't blame the CN scheduling rulebook for your lack of content, at some point you have to sit down and realize that months of quasi-hiatus is more than enough time to fix your weaknesses, flesh out a story, and choose a definitive direction to move in.

also the over-exaggerated sadness/angst combined with staff members' ukulele bandcamp OC is kitschy after all this time and gets irritating when it's even hinted at occurring

this is the best way to describe it

I think you need to go to school to learn to read.

>muh feelings :(
Grow a fucking spine.

>bad writing is okay if I agree with it

He has very developed empathy and when he bothers to try, pretty good problem solving skills.

He's sheltered and naive yeah, but he's not actually mising anything.

And no, acting feminine isn't a sign of mental failings.

>It's bad because it made fun of MY group
lol

Absolutely
S1 > other seasons
also Bismuth is the peak

IF EVERYONE WAS A PORKCHOP

Well they do hate humans at the very least. Or are at least indifferent to their existence.

>normal

>He has very developed empathy

I agree he doesn't have any legit mental issues but like many people said before me, they really need to stop crying and getting tear up so much, it really does take away from the actually dramatic scenes.

But what happens when everyone is a hotdog?

>I like to see triggered therefore it's good writing
Kind of on the other end of the spectrum there, pal.

chalk it up to the zany antics of a quirky cartoon town

are you excited for the inevitable Steven Universe GO! series anons?

Steven does have mental issues. He's supposed to be 14 and yet he acts like an 8 year old.

It's REALLY fucking distracting.

To be honest, this seems like what's going on now is the opposite of Steven's Birthday.

In that Steven is trying to force himself to stay small and cute and friendly and he's practically creaking from the strain.

It's the writers who have mental issues mate. He is their vessel.

>for every 1 episode of plot in a season we get 3 episodes of filler

I've forgotten about that, guess i was wrong

Because Ronaldo is Matt the head writer's favorite character.

Steven or Ronaldo? I thought Ronaldo actually sounded a bit lower.

Why couldn't Renaldo be like this guy?

There is no kind of good weeb/dork
They're actually really similar. Name some significant traits they don't have in common. Ronaldo being a fatass and blonde don't count.

this is the only bad Ronaldo episode tho