It’s unclear how much money the network spent on its Twin Peaks sequel, but whatever the figure was...

>It’s unclear how much money the network spent on its Twin Peaks sequel, but whatever the figure was, it doesn’t appear to have been a great investment. The 18-part series was hardly watched at all, averaging less than 300,000 viewers per episode.

damn

tracking-board.com/showtime-needs-a-homeland-level-hit-and-it-needs-one-soon-network-series/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BCGtJ5Gcj0o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I loved the first season, and remember watching it on tv as a kid. I generally like lynch's work, but this new season was simply atrocious

I guess ambient humming, hobos, and screaming just aren't the draw they used to be

JUST

The talentless hack David Lynch strikes again

It was patrician TV.

SMILF will save them

If Twin Peaks The Return kills Showtime, I’m doubly gratified for its existence

plebes cant appreciate good art but also it's kind of a hard sell since it depends on the viewer having seen 2 decades-old seasons, one of which is notoriously sketchy, + a movie before watching this new material

bingo

Didn't some higher-up say that Twin Peaks brought in record subscribers for their streaming service though? And that it was up to Lynch whether or not a season 4 would be made? It wasn't a hit by any means but didn't do as poorly as the article suggests.

Yeah, it was really painful. Too much modern art crap, not enough coherent storyline or relateable characters. Frost was supposed to keep Lynch in line, but it seems like he didn't do anything at all

Most of the viewers were online and Showtime's online subscribers blew up

>Twin Peaks has the highest percentage of streaming viewership of any Showtime original series to-date, and the most streaming viewers ever for an original series debut

for a premium channel this is what matters.

Right. Reading some of these replies made me vomit all over my car and I was already late

See:

The Return was great, wish it had done better.

this

TPS3 was literally so good it that it will be hard to fully appreciate any other TV from now on.

>Too much modern art crap, not enough coherent storyline or relateable characters.

MUH COFFEE HMMM

why do folks pretend there wasnt coffie and pie nostalgia in the new season

yeah seeing people say it's shit is a bummer. it was obviously incredibly entertaining, some people are mad because its meaning wasn't spoonfed to them

The Return wasn't designed for regular human consumption. You have to be a blackened, filth-covered hobo who meditates all day in a back alley to truly appreciate it. Even Lynch himself struggled to understand the sheer power of what he was filming - in a review he says he sought the advice of 12 homeless men from LA while making the series, in exchange for free Transcedental Meditation lessons.

Why do men pretend to like Twin Peaks season 3?

There were plenty of references to coffee, pie, and donuts, but the comfy atmosphere was gone.

I love it, he just doesn't compromise. This is some legacy shit, I imagine people in the far future stumbling on TP and watching it, and I envy them.

Gee I dunno. What does misery love again?

Because it was kino? Sure, there were a few parts I didn't like, it could've been shorter, and the pacing was terrible for a TV series, but most of the stuff in there is brilliant. When you approach it like you'd approach an art gallery, it makes impeccable television.

This isn't some "batman vs superman" level shilling, either. The show was received very well by critics.

They'll probably just think that most of the video was lost somehow

And that's the beauty of it. It plunges you into a world, giving you a glimpse of part of it, but not the whole thing.

I hate it just because it's really bad

I dont care if the jews didnt make their money.

We got pure Lynch art, and nothing can take that away.

Seems about right. Why would anyone expect this to be a big hit? Normies don't know what Twin Peaks is unless they're old enough to have seen the original while airing.

youtube.com/watch?v=BCGtJ5Gcj0o

this. every show I've watched since has felt so predictable and dull

ding ding

also where are merch numbers

TP 3 was pretty unpredictable. No one would have guessed it would end in a long silent car drive followed by a random scream.

>complaing that a david lynch tv show is inaccessible
kys my senpai

Plebs gonna pleb
LYNCHED

Plebs don't like season 3 because they wanted it to be an exact carbon copy of the old one and instead Lynch did something original and unique with it.

>why didn't our incredibly cheap-looking tv series that actively fucked with viewers do better?

It felt like pretty typical Lynch bullshit to me.

Sounds like a snuff film when you describe it like that

I love season 3 until the last episode

Apparently most people streamed it - and the Showtime exec said it was responsible for their largest subscriber boost ever.

pleb

>relatable characters

Biggest pleb detection giveaway.

>I liked The Return

go back

I think the fact that the third season got as much critical praise that it did, in and of itself was a miracle.

Then again, I have a theory that everyone was too concerned with sucking David Lynch's dick to care about looking between the lines. This was his first new project since Inland Empire (over a decade ago) and I'm sure a lot of powerful people in the press were not wanting to queer things so that Lynch never worked again/Twin Peaks S3 becomes his swan song.

But watching it, S3 clearly was an unrelated David Lynch movie that got retrofitted into the franchise. Also, given the gossip that flew around when the show was in pre-production, we can't fully blame Lynch for shitting on the OG Twin Peaks cast/having them be reduced to cameos and one or two scenes per episode. Showtime nearly killed the entire revival pre-filming because they were only interested in Cooper coming back and wanted the original Twin Peaks cast replaced with as many trendy guest stars Lynch could call in to appear.

Twin Peaks S3 might have been more tolerable had they cut the episode count down, killed the Dougie shit/limited it to 2-4 episodes maximum, and at least provided some sense of fan service (say, giving Audrey a happy ending or at least proper closure on her relationship with Cooper that doesn't involve being made to bear Evil Cooper's rape baby and stuck in a super vague hell we never get a straight answer on).

Reddit loves Twin Peaks and Lynch

>I disliked The Return

>killed the dougie shit
take that back

>Lynch is a good director

>Not liking Dougie Jones
Ultimate pleb filter desu

I for one applaud Lynch for giving us more mommies on television. The man knows how to pick women who age well.

>Showtime nearly killed the entire revival pre-filming because they were only interested in Cooper coming back and wanted the original Twin Peaks cast replaced with as many trendy guest stars Lynch could call in to appear.
Can't blame them for that. The original cast all aged terribly and can't act for shit with the exception of Sheryl and Ben Horne's actor.

Exactly, the overall message is their originals are shit, not that the numbers for Twin Peaks were shit.

and this, Showtime has been making a killing on merch. They have a fuckton they did for the show on their site

Weekend at Bernie's was great, but there's a reason nobody talks about Weekend at Bernie's 2

CUTE!

The Audrey fanboys were going to be BTFO regardless.

Laura has always been the only TP waifu that Lynch gives a shit about; Audrey was supposed to be a spoiled brat/50s era fashion themed fanservice girl for the audience to drool over.

The entire Cooper/Audrey thing was a fluke overhyped by fanboys and shippers. It was knived in the womb by Kyle MacLachlan the moment he realized fans wanted them together for various reasons that everyone and their mother have long known about.

They should have just used the cliffhanger to kill Audrey. Or if they had to pander to the shippers, gone the route of Audrey marrying a man who looked/behaved just like Cooper and on the surface it looks like they are happy, but then we get a scene with her and her dad where we find out that Audrey is secretly miserable and stuck in a loveless marriage. But that she's determined to stay with her dud of a husband, because she's afraid she can't do any better.

i fucking hated the new season
>LE LYNCHED XDDD
just 18 hours of my time that i'll never get back.

I heard it was a much higher number than that article says. I also read that it was hard to get a read because of everyone recording it

It was a great investment - The Return was a homerun for Lynch.

>It was knived in the womb by Kyle MacLachlan the moment he realized fans wanted them together for various reasons that everyone and their mother have long known about.
kyle macucklan cut it off because he was being blue balled by lara flynn boyle, who was jealous that lynch was giving audrey more screentime than donna.

Lynch even somehow got Sherilyn Fenn to look good again, and she was a bloated pig only a few years ago.

Fag

I'M GLOWING BRIGHT OBSIDIAN

Is she giddy like Gideon?

When will she accuse Lynch of raping her?

>killed the Dougie shit/limited it to 2-4 episodes maximum, and at least provided some sense of fan service (say, giving Audrey a happy ending or at least proper closure on her relationship with Cooper that doesn't involve being made to bear Evil Cooper's rape baby and stuck in a super vague hell we never get a straight answer on)
imagine actually having opinions this shit

>no u

The entire show revolved around Dougie being around for that long. Shortening his time not only would be cutting out amazing stuff, but it would totally ruin the whole season

This was a powerful statement on what it means to be a Woman of Color in Trump's America.

That was probably posted by Sherylin herself

The last episode is kino you simpleton.

You should have stopped watching after the 5th episode if you weren't on board by that point. You have no one but yourself to blame for forcing yourself to watch something you don't enjoy.

The best thing about The Return was the newfound appreciation Sup Forums got for Sheryl Lee

desu they could've added a few more adventures for the Dougie subplot, maybe something where he regains part of his mind but is still semi-retarded or something

Maybe he's one of those retards who thought the ending made the entire series pointless.

Lynch makes all the women do transcendental meditation while raping them so they won't remember it.

They should just make a spin-off show about Dougie. Nothing to do with TP, just Dougie being a goofy boy.

Probably, Fenn threw a fit on Twitter about Lynch cutting out all her scenes.

by episode 12 I was honestly hoping Laura would pop out of the Lodge retarded too and it would turn into Cooper and Laura's wacky adventures getting back to Twin Peaks, guided by the Arm

I thought Candie was Laura, similar to how Naido was Diane.

There's that, and I also heard that they have a bitcoin miner on their website so KA-CHING!

It's worth it just to imagine some normie coming home from work and randomly finding it on TV

it honestly just didnt grab me

i first watched all the originals a few years ago, then on hearing this i watched them again

i still enjoyed them

but this
it was just straight up boring
i stopped after the third episode i think

Why bother having Lynch if you don't let hm do his thing?

lol

>third episode
Do you have zero taste in art?

A coworker of mine accidentally watched Part 3 and 4 on Showtime, having never seen any of the original and only vaguely knowing what it was in the first place. He stumbled on it in a hotel room, and kept it on "after how fucking wacky the dude falling through space was".

Listening to his description of it was hilarious

FWWM > S1 > S3 > S2

FUCK YOU, TV VIEWERS.

I loved it but it was no where near perfect.

I think if it was shorter (14 or 15 episodes) and didn't have those gay as fuck roadhouse ending scenes and the FBI investigation actually went somewhere, it would have been a lot better.

Well of course, plebs need their game of thrones

Watching the livestream for the premiere of the first 4 episodes was amazing

I agree 100% but Lynch went a little too hard referencing his past work in my opinion.

It was basically an 18 hour retrospective on Lynch's film career. But I appreciate doing something totally against the grain and different instead of doing a shitty soft reboot/remake like most revivals.

I like how this user had a thoughtful comment and point.

Then right after, the /tpg/ cringe bitches chime in saying the exact same thing.