What are Thors best stories? he seems like a badass but I refuse to read anything Aaron writes after his shitty X-Men

what are Thors best stories? he seems like a badass but I refuse to read anything Aaron writes after his shitty X-Men

Simonson JMS Jurgens

God Butcher/Bomb by Aaron is up there with the best Thor stories.

Simonson is definitive Thor, and brimming with badass.

Bill's two solos 'Stormbreaker' and 'Godhunter' were pretty rocking too.

A modren classic.

Yeah, I'mma insist you read the first 12 issues of Aaron's God of Thunder. I've read all of Thor and owe it to that fucking arc. Shit I owe getting into cape comics outright to that fucking arc.

Simonson's 80s run is considered definitive, but Kirby's from the 60s deserves that distinction IMO. Under him it was Marvel's 3rd best seller behind Spidey & FF. And they filled the second half of those early anthology issues with Thor lore instead of something completely different. Granted, it's a slow start. Lotsa beating up thugs & ruskies before the creativity really starts to flow.
One of my all-time fave Thor arcs was just after Kirby left, with Buscema on art. Google Thor Masterworks 10, it's the issues in that. Cosmic AF.
There was some fucking WACKY cosmic shit throughout the #200s too but it kind of blurs together. Except the Eternals Saga, #283-300 (plus an Annual). That was a bonafide epic.
The #300s had some God stories, Simonson's run, and finished up with Tom DeFalco's run which ran right through to the mid-#400s. I personally liked it, but mainly because it was "comfy". He was a nostalgiafag and his art partner Ron Frenz was a shameless Kirby imitator so it was a nice old-school contrast to other 90s comics.
Jurgens & JMS refer to Thor's second & third #1 reboots in the late 90s & mid 00s respectively. Both are good recs. JMS' was very short though, only about 15 issues. I prefer Jurgens', it's 70+ but worth it. Like Kirby he took until the latter half to really hit his stride but that stride uses context from the former half so whatever.

When it comes to non-ongoing stuff, look for any minis with Robert Rodi's name on it. That motherfucker writes a grand ol' Thor. Also Fraction's series of interconnected one-shots, Age of Thunder and Trial of Thor and various other annoyingly disparate names. The overarching narrative is monumental, totally worth the trouble. Also Thor Heaven & Earth by Paul Jenkins, and Thor's Chaos War tie-in by JM DeMatties.

Basically, even if after the whole Original Sin crud Aaron just went offtrack and he tries to bottle lightning back with tryhard metal sentences that were striking the 12 times he used them so they're rusty now.

Also maybe the modern Loki saga I guess? Gillen's Thor, Siege, Fraction('s first arc of) Thor, Gillen's Journey Into Mystery, Ewing's Loki Agent of Asgard. Sup Forums loves it, not without good reason. Also Gillen's Young Avengers just before that last one but the consensus seems to be that he'd burnt himself out and that it ain't worth the time. Apparently all it really does is explain Loki's change in appearance between the end of one and start of the other anyway.

>and he tries to bottle lightning back with tryhard metal sentences
He tries?

Yeah read God Butcher/God Bomb.
Disassembled is also really fucking good.

"Brothers in thunder" I'd say ranks as what I described.

>Note to self: ask if there's a wi-fi enchantment for the hammer.

LMAO

The ballad of Beta Ray Bill was a classic.

FUCK I knew I forgot something.
Yeah the final 5-6 issue arc of v2 is preddy ebin. Ragnarok finally happens! Not a dream! Not a hoax! Not a etc etc..
Don't expect the movie to take any pointers, it sounds more like the earlier campier false alarm Ragnaroks.

I really don't see what makes Bill special.

Wow. This makes Masterson's whiny internal dialogue read like Shakespeare.

This.

Okay... Let's see...
- Powerful enough pre-hammer to beat Thor like a redheaded stepchild.
- Honorable to a goddamn fault.
- To get to where he was pre-Stormbreaker, he had to willfully give up anything that could resemble a "normal" life. He was basically a monster to his own people.
- Cares about Thor and the other Asgardians more than they care about themselves.

He's legitimately the hero any hero would want to be if they were truly well-intentioned. Beta Ray Bill is one of the few pure good entities in Marvel, I think. He truly only wants what's best for all living things that aren't devoted to evil and chaos.

Bill seriously needs more screentime. He's easily one of the most badass characters in the MU.

Yeah I know he's in 'Unworthy Thor' but I'd rather pull my fingernails out than read more Aaron.

The Annihilators in general deserved an ongoing.

First 11 issues of Aaron's Thor are the best Thor story in decades. EVERYTHING after that is UNREADABLE.

Walt Simonson's Thor is still the best though.

Is Unworthy Thor any good?

Yeah I'm lovin' it®.

All of this describes Thor. Even the "can beat up Thor" part.
Heck I've seen variations of that last line used to describe Thor specifically, right here on Sup Forums.

Like I said; what makes him special?

Hey fuck you #12 was great
I'm man enough to swallow my pride on the rest but that issue needs defending.

It's alirght.
Both Aaron's first go at Thor and Copiel's first go at Thor are better.

WALTER SIMONSON
A
L
T
E
R

S
I
M
O
N
S
O
N

Jack 'King' Kirby!

best origin ever

He don't give a fuck

>The Annihilators in general deserved an ongoing

that's a really hard team to write an ongoing for, just look at DNA's attempt

either they steamroll everything all the time or you have to toss out Cancerverse-tier threats like candy to even challenge them

So is it that he's bro or that he's merciless? Make up your mind!

Love this pasta.

This. JMS's run got me started on Thor.

It's the only one for me, user.