I'm really sick of post-modernism pervading present day stories and literature...

I'm really sick of post-modernism pervading present day stories and literature, and the self-congratulatory smugness people who incorporate it have. It's gotten old and tired. No, you weren't clever for shitting on an entire plot just to make a point that life is so meaningless bro, it's all about meaningless things we ascribe meaning to like McDonald's Szechuan Sauce.

A child could do that. A four year old could write such a story. You're not clever, and you're not deep. Just write entertaining stories and stop trying to be a subversive jack-off. At least you will be fucking real. I have ten times more respect for Stephen King than any 'post-modernist'.

I'm sick of you OP. Just shut the fuck up and stop posting you crybaby wankstain

no one gives a shit

blog somewhere else about your children cartoons you retarded fuck

dan harmmon is a pseudo intellectual

Self destructive nihilism and post modernism is treated as a joke in R&M. If you ever bothered to watch an episode of what you're trying to criticise, you'd realise they consistently portray Rick, the proponent of this outlook, as a perpetually depressed, desperately lonely individual, with the series seemingly building on his character to where he's starting to form emotional connections with people instead of distancing them through his autistic philosophy.

Do you hate Jaws, user? That one's very postmodern.

What are you talking about? Season 3 completely reverses all that.

So life is made meaningful by connection to other people? Sounds pretty gay, user.

This thread is the litmus test for reddtors.

It would be pretty meaningless to post here all by yourself.

hold my beer im gonna take a shit on the internet

It doesn't you fucking autist, and has an episode where rick is explicitly called out on his self destructive tendencies. In the pickle rick episode, to be precise. He also acts cordially to Jerry, begins an emotional relationship with Beth, is revealed he cares about morty but considers it a weakness, and tells beth he loves her despite "nothing meaning anything".

That'll be reversed again. It's like you don't know what show you're watching.

>it would be pointless
Which is pretty ironic since none of us exist and you are the one posting by yourself.

Did you just assume I exist?

I'm sick of all these people criticizing things for not being "deep." Like, who the fuck are you? Shows like Rick and Morty aren't trying to be "deep." No one thinks they're "deep." "Deep" doesn't fucking even mean anything to anyone older than 18. You stop ascribing the aspiration of being deep to the authors, and realize it's just the fanbase.

>life is made meaningful by connections to other meaningless beings
goddamn I hate atheists
you and your philosophy are a big ball of shit

Oh shi- in that case it's recursive irony

>If fictional anons shitpost on non-existing Tajikistani Poetry Webzones, does it still make a (((post))).

>reddit and memey
kill yourself

It wouldn't be meaningless to sit on my own and come to some insights.

I'm the opposite actually. Other people only become important in the light of a temporary world. Transcendent things like truth and beauty come into view in the face of eternity.

Did you just assume you exist?

>Shows like Rick and Morty aren't trying to be "deep."

You clearly don't know the numale behind this cartoon.

>I hate stories that try to address the human condition!
>Just write mindless escapism to entertain me
I mean I appreciate what you're saying about pat absurdism and all but come on. the original postmodernists were talking about important stuff
>Other people only become important in the light of a temporary world
wow ants must be REALLY important then

I just don't think that connection is really important. If I found it easy to connect I'd probably be an average man. I think that's what people want when they talk about making connections: average, manageable people who are just the same as everyone else.

People who have fallen for the postmodern 'meme' (for lack of a better term) don't fully understand the ideology they have become an avatar in the real world for.

this kind of sentiment is exactly why we have postmodernism. people are increasingly isolated from each other and any kind of moral justification for life and tend to view even their own lives as absurd; our art reflects this

>the original postmodernists were talking about important stuff
No, they were jerking themselves off and hating themselves and Western civilisation. Fuck off.

It's not. The intellectual has always been isolated. Sure, connecting with people can be nice and a consolation but it's of primary importance. I would be a lonely exceptional man than a gregarious common one.

i know right? western civilization is absolutely perfect so the only reason people complain is attention!

This, postmodernism is just Marxism. Same shit different tactics. Instead of class war they promote identity politics, this is why they are constantly fracturing idenity into infinity. It breaks the class solidarity that in the West 'failed' to produce a revolution like it did in Russia.

>nuclear war and the death of religion aren't important subjects
oh okay
the intellectual has never existed on this scale. I think you a few words

Oh look, it's the post-modernist that thinks his two-bit 'critique' of society is valid. Everyone point at him and laugh.

Indeed, the Western working classes largely stayed loyal to Western civilisation which infuriated the middle and upper class followers of Marx. As the "plebs" were therefore unreliable to bring about their precious revolution they turned to those other tactics that you mentioned.

have you even read any postmodernism? you really don't sound like you know what you're talking about

>postmodernism is just Marxism

Is "post-modernism" the new "cultural marxism" buzzword?

So postmodernism isn't about fracturing identity into infinity? It's literally what Foucault and Deridda advocate. They argue "systems of opression" (Western civ) needs to be broken to bring about their dream.

Postmodernism is for people who can't actually do emotion and drama
Why do you think the entirety of Marvel/Disney is filled with "hey lets have this sort of dramatic scene and then follow it up with a joke to break any sort of tension"
It's because it's held together by tv-tier hacks

Thank you, this is exactly what I'm trying to say.

>A child could do that.

But they don't.

>A four year old could write such a story.
But they haven't.

>You're
Me? The guy sitting here typing this?

>not clever, and you're not deep.

I think you're projecting here.
Look. I have a few questions for you. This is your opportunity to convince this thread that you have some remote clue as to what you're talking about, rather than just a buzzword, a knee-jerk reaction against the aesthetic and a lot of resentment.
So. What, exactly, is it that you think post-modernism is? How is it different from modernism? What relationship is there between the philosophical and intellectual movement, and the art that you're focusing on. I don't need an essay here -- just convince me that you've at least read a book on the subject or even better taken a college level course.

Lay level postmodernism is easy, you can pretty much learn it in a day and it makes you feel self-rightious. It doesn't surprise me it's so popular with university students (and as others have said they become an avatar for the ideology even if they don't fully understand it).
Basically identify anything where a hierarchy exists and shout how it's bad and needs destroying, rinse and repeat.
Of course the philisophical origins of this ideology are far more complicated, Foucault and Deridda are two of the biggest names. I personally disagree with their views but I think they are worth reading even if to give you ammunition to combat this destructive ideology.

as hilarious as it is to try and deconstruct derrida's own life, this is not historically accurate. he did not predicate his approach on marxism. foucault is another story but he is hardly the father of postmodernism

OP confirmed IQ less than 200

>they
Could you be any more specific?

>tfw there is too much chaos

This is the thing about po-mo bedwetters. They are so self-righteous and smug that they automatically think you're just a rube too uneducated or that you 'just don't get it mannnnnn'. You can sit there and tell them that you sat through the verbal diarrhoea of Pynchon, or that you tried to get through Naked Lunch without tearing your fucking eyes out, or that you don't think Philip K Dick should count as 'post-modernist' just because he has vague plots, or even that you enjoyed the prose of Bret Easton Ellis, but it doesn't matter to them.

Because it's like a religion to the average po-mo. They think their shitty, two-bit hack of a framing device has something to say in 2017. Well, it doesn't. It barely had something to say when it came out and it doesn't now.

You are a pretentious fucknugget, a brainlet with a high verbal IQ at best and an outright disdain for the fabric of civilisation at worst.

I don't think you're as familiar with the material as you think you are.

>think you're just a rube too uneducated

but you are

The thing about post-modernism is that the auteurs of various mediums in the last 30 years have produced post-modern masterpieces and talentless hacks think that they can create art of the same quality by applying the same techniques, except these babbys don't know the first thing about postmodernism so they end up producing shit. What you're seeing is just Sturgeon's law taking effect

nice to you find this on knowyourmeme?

You lack a religion so you've turned to this shitty movement instead. I've at least skimmed through your bible, but you'll never believe it unless I convert.

*watches a Jordan Peterson video once*

Epic one OP

yeah dude, western society is so corrupt compared to the utopia in my head. viva la revolution, comrade!

I never professed to be a post modernist -- that's you projecting.

I prefer Modernism for aethetics, post-structuralism for politics and semiotics, and something damn close to Buddhism for trying to be happy.

you're presupposing the word "postmodernism" means a unique thing across disciplines. sure, burned-out philosophy and literary crit majors would love to justify their sunk costs as conveying an expertise of every literary and artistic movement of our age, but the reality is a bunch of disparate movements with some common threads (but within all movements you can find common threads) were given the same name, usually by different people than the ones actually doing the creating. you don't need to be a derrida scholar to use the word, any more than you need to read James Joyce to understand Rabbie Burns

Okay this guy gets it.

This so much.

This is complete and utter bullshit. I mean that in that this guy is literally bullshitting.

>Oh Boxing? Yeah that thing is totally easy; I learned to do it in a day. It's basically just punching -- rinse and repeat. Tyson and Ali are two of the biggest names. I personally think they aren't great but I think they're worth watching even if to give you tips on how to punch shitty boxers.

No, it's more like 'I can shit on a canvas and therefore modern art is shit :^)'

>A child could do that
This argument is more tired and retardedly smug than anything you bitch about.

Listen guys, not everything you don't like is post-modernism.

I hope you aren't trying to put Thomas Pynchon on the same level as the people who write for Rick and Morty.

>post-modernism
Go listen to a podcast you unoriginal moron

Too be honest you need a high iq to understand rick and morty

I am. Fight me.

to be honest you need a high IQ to understand jordan b. peterson

>Morty. There's something important that I need to tell you, Morty.
>W-w-what is it, Rick?
>The Holocaust, Morty. It was all a lie.
>Huh?
>That's right Morty. It was all one giant lie pulled off by the zionst central bankers in order to establish the *burp* state of Israel, and to garner sympathies of the Jewish race in the Western world
>Aw, no... That can't mean...?
>That's right, Morty. 6 million didn't really die, and we need to stop them, right now
>Geez, d-do we have to do it now? I've got homework due tomorrow
>I hate to break it to you, Morty. But, the public education system is controlled by jewish interests too.
>Aww, fuck

So you think that any attempt to improve a society is pointless?? Why can’t someone criticise western society and suggest ways it could be better?