The series is Pantheon, and these are its final 11 pages

The series is Pantheon, and these are its final 11 pages.

There are spoilers.

I'm glad we seem to be mostly over this sort of thing now. Watchmen gave us at least 2 decades of it.

This is the final page.

Thank you for reading.

What was honestly the point of this?

The segment, or me posting it?

Ya, I mean obviously Blackheart is supposed to be Batman expy, but there are enough differences that it makes any potential criticism of Batman invalid

From what little we learn of him in the series, Blackheart is functionally more similar to the Spider, that old pulp hero.

He has a burning ring that brands criminals in exactly the same way.

Both.

I've been considering storytiming some of my favorites, but I've never done so before and I wanted to see if I had the patience for it.

This was a short, relatively self-contained segment and I enjoyed it enough to post it for others in the hopes you'd enjoy it, too.

Yeah, I got the same feeling though didn't know the specific pulp hero. It doesn't work as a Batman look-in because of that difference, and because you're lining up gritty (more, doesn't seem exactly recent) modern cop with basic pulp hero.

At the same time these pulp heroes were much closer to this kind of vigilantism and maybe that's the point. But Moore/Gibbons really already did all this better than anyone has since.

The series is surprisingly low on 'bat-wank.'

Blackheart shows up only a few times that I can remember, most predominantly at the beginning (where he tells Dynasty, the main character, that he doesn't plan to get involved in the brewing superhero civil war) and then here at the end (where he comes to grips with the underlying psychological reasons for his vigilante crusade and retires).

Even the series' Captain America analogue, Commander Cross, is quickly swept off the board to allow characters with more impressive powers to take center stage.

There are some pretty cool characters on display here.

This is Chaos Nation, a supervillain that gains power by absorbing human beings. He gets more powerful the more people he absorbs, and transfers any damage he might accrue onto his 'citizens,' who are 'deported' from the nation when he takes enough damage to kill them.