It's not a movie, it's an experience

>It's not a movie, it's an experience
Post movies that give you unique experiences that you struggle to find in other movies, and spend the rest of your life trying to find another movie that hits you the same way that one did

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Sa_y4bwa2w
youtube.com/watch?v=eJAWzEYPXBM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Knight of Cups is LITERALLY the only film I've found that gives that feeling that it gives. Watch the films of Franco Piavoli, they are absolutely phenomenal and very close to that feeling. Also Tarkovsky's Mirror touches it at times but loses it, Nostalghia is a bit more consistent in that regard. Try James Benning (Landscape Suicide) and Carlos Reygadas (Post Tenebras Lux) as well.

unscere?

Mulholland Drive is a big fucking one.

Just watched At the First Breath of Wind last night!

Assuming OP is talking about that transcendent, almost tangible feeling present in Knight of Cups, Lynch got very close with Inland Empire, even though it is the stylistic antithesis of KoC.

Did you like? It was very dreamy like his other films but much more pessimistic, definitely watch his other two.
emma roberts fan?

Yes i liked it quite a bit, I've heard very good things about nostos as well
how did you know wtf

This was my first Malick film. I have yet to watch New World and To the Wonder

Synechdoche New York
Excalibur 1981

I'm glad to hear. Nostos is far grander and more mythical almost than At the First Breath of Wind, but its the same level of abstract. Voices Through time is incredibly emotional, it made me tear up twice. Its simpler but at least as beautiful

>Nostos is far grander and more mythical almost than At the First Breath of Wind, but its the same level of abstract
nice! i like movies that feel like they're encompassing the entire world into the movie... movies with a large scope i guess you could say. that makes me a lot more excited to watch it now.

For me it’s Edward Yang

Yeah I love movies that either have a greatly large scope, or go through so much that by the end it truly feels like some massive odyssey. Nostos, being somewhat based on The Odyssey, naturally has both

cool i still don't know who you are tho.... how did you know it was me?
where you the guy i was talking about voyage of time with?

What are some of your favorite large scope movies?
no that wasn't me, I just saw you logged it on lb

8 1/2
synecdoche
knight of cups - tree of life - voyage of time
mirror
aguirre wog

idk these are a few
i am a super pleb and haven't watched very many movies /:

Also seek out Thin Red Line and Tree of Life, but make Badlands next. Badlands doesn't do this transporting feeling, it's his first movie, and you can sort of see him start to try things. It works very well on its own.

SNY was very impressive but it didn't really connect emotionally. I'm dying to see voyage of time though. Check out Nostalghia if you haven't its more subdued than Mirror but a bit quieter and just as I guess hazy is the best word I can think of.

And it's okay I haven't really either. At least you're watching good stuff, much better than having seen thousands of films but all mostly mediocre mainstream stuff. Just have fun with it, you'll have seen lots of movies someday

Any movie by Roy Andersson... As a Scandinavian myself it feels like he really gets the Scandinavian character and atmosphere. He manages to make the actors behave with certain mannerisms that feels really thought out and his scenes are always very painterly with very elegant movement and detail... For example, look at this: youtube.com/watch?v=5Sa_y4bwa2w

>Knight of Cups is LITERALLY the only film
What about Song to Song?

Is any movie as cozy as this one?

It thought it was help back by its increased narrative. I don't think that's a bad thing, it allowed the film the have some fantastic characterization and therefor easier to relate to emotionally. But stylistically he pushed things even further and I think the two aspects tripped each other up a little bit

k

Here is another scene that really shows of how painterly Roy Andersson's style is: youtube.com/watch?v=eJAWzEYPXBM if you haven't seen any of his movies you really should because you are missing out.

I agree. I also think Song to Song jumped between too many characters where as in KoC we follow Rick around and relive his experience. It makes KoC have a more unique atmosphere to it imo

>It's not a movie, it's an experience
That's a complicated way to say it's shit.

That being said, A Scanner Darkly is pretty unique and definitely not shit.