Was he ever racist or hinted at being racist in the show? Also...

Was he ever racist or hinted at being racist in the show? Also, Static Shock seemed like a pretty "progressive" show for the time, handling gay issues and stuff, it honestly surprises me that they would shy away from having one of the villains be at least a little racist

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rZHwGnGrm_k
youtube.com/user/FishStickOnAStick/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=8V7a2pxeNeE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hotstreak wasn't racist in the show. He had people of color in his gang. Was apart of Ebon's gang later on and dated a Latin girl.

>it's a rubber band man can't read episode
Anyway in the show Hotstreak was more of a general thuggery type

They should have an insecure white nationalist villain.

>You won't cuck me, Static! I won't let you!

Static shock is getting a new DVD release soon.

I'm glad they didn't make him racist in the show. He was kinda a better character in the show than the comics. But he was more powerful in the comics.

In the show he was just an assholish hothead, he wasn't really *that* bad of a guy if I recall correctly.
In the comics he was pretty much irredeemable.

Nah, it didn't really need it. That kind of thing works better when it's done in a more subtle way, which is what the show did. What you're asking for is a Captain Planet-tier villain that would've been hamfisted attempt at social commentary, not much different then NuMarvel.

Since this is sort of a Static thread, should Static have a fan web site for him ? A web site about his comics, about his cartoon, about his appears in other comics and cartoons. And other stuff. John Stewart Green Lantern has his own web site. Superman has one. The Teen Titans also have their fan site. Should Static have his own site ?

Spare some change?

>Should Static have his own site

If somebody wants to make one he should

Yeah probably. But we both know it would have very little discussion about the comics, considering how obscure they are in comparison to the tv show.

Lookin' a little cockeyed there, hothead.

>Fire Powers
>Spiked hair and wears a lot of red

This is probably how he would look irl

>DVD
>2017

Not Blu-Ray?

What the fuck

>Not only that but both Guy Fieri and comics Hotstreak often dress like Juggalos

I think I'm starting to see a weird connection here

At lest he's getting a DVD which is good.

>appropriation in the card.

Yeah man sometimes the show just, uh, did it subtler.

Milestone you tried.

Yeah that would be cool. Someone should totally make him a fan site .

So is the show worth watching?

I've been watching through the DCAU, but I'm not sure if I want to include Static Shock. How does it compare to BTAS, STAS, BB, and JL?

Haha holy shit! That's Great!

Worse than those, but pretty decent still.

It's good. It's different from the other DC Animated Universe shows.

Nah. They made his best friend's dad a racist instead.

Hotstreak was a good villain in the show along with the other villains.

is the dark guy like the blackest guy of all for a reason?

Like does he represent by being the greatest villain that the biggest enemy of the black community is themselves?

He's a living shadow.

youtube.com/watch?v=rZHwGnGrm_k

Ebon is the foil to static.

Virgil has stability, family and education to keep him on track. Outside forces shaping how he developed. A magnetic field turning him into a magnet himself.

Ivan has been corrupted by street culture and internalized it and uses it against others. He's one with the darkness that pervades.

Nature vs nurture and such.

Evan Evan was eventually pulled over by Static (moreso his sister). His learning disability was solved and he had a positive outlet where he could use his abilities "productively" (music).

>Doesn't even commit any actual crimes
>Isn't even a criminal
>His costume is just a shirt with Donald Trump on it
>All he does is show up and randomly attack Static unprovoked while shouting "YOU HAVE TO GO BACK" at the top of his lungs

Oh!!! There's an episode about gay issues?? Which episode was that?

The only racism I remembered was his best friend's dad about rap or something

>ten feet higher! Ten feet higher!

There was gay issues in the comics but not in the cartoon. Richie was gay in the show though.

Well the blonde twink was gay

This. Static was pretty on point for how it handled minority issues.

Hotstreak wasn't even in the original comics, was he?

I remember reading the first bit of Static after the cartoon and I was shocked by how dark it was in comparison. I was expecting "Spider-Man with a black dude" which is basically what the cartoon was, and instead the first freaking issue had dudes telling Vergil that if he didn't want to get punked on so hard he needs to start carrying a gun, along with Vergil sobbing miserably after the ass whoopings he'd take

Made me glad that I went to school in the suburbs

Dang this brings back memories. Early to mid 2000s cartoons (specifically superhero) did a lot of things right. I mean they had a sense of realism and grit that mirrored modern society well. I don't really watch modern cartoons but what happened? Static shock had episodes about school shootings, riots, gangs, dead parent. Hell teen titans was also a lot like this.

What happened to cartoons?

Fuck off mooching blue bitch

corporations decided that the margins weren't profitable enough

tumblr

Hotstreak was in the comics for a tiny bit. He shows up in the first couple issuses and showed up again in the arc where Rick came out gay.

So he was a racist wigger? That's actually pretty interesting.

It's the second worst DCAU show and it still winds up being a solid 7.5/8 out of 10. Though I will admit, the show is very early 2000s, especially the dated references (double especially for S3 and onward, that Lil Romeo rap was fucking shit).

explain this

Yeah I just noticed some of these new cartoons have shit like lesbians kissing and have a lot of cheesy romance/stupid characters

Kinda makes me glad I grew up when cartoons were more mature in a way and had a lot of cheesy puns. Regular show seemed like the right cartoon but they killed that.

The tumblr kids writing a lot of cartoons these days can't into realism and subtlety so everything is cartoonish like OP's comic scan

He was gay, but they couldn't outright say it back in the early 2000s. They alluded to it by somewhat exaggerating his reaction to women, with a more relaxed Virgil nearby, and showing that he would often get butthurt when Virgil spent too much time with Daisy, the blasian (I think?) chick that was waifu material.

Then there were the earrings he had. Surprised his dad let him get them.

You know damn well that if Static came out today it would be called Tumblr, especially because of Richie, even though he's not flamboyant.

so it's emblematic, rather than the actual cause? that is acceptable

Anyone notice that shows like Static Shock, The Proud Family, and Boondocks tend to have varying skin tones for black people instead of the generic chocolate brown that's usually in cartoons?

Yes

it's more subtle manifestation of why anime characters have blue and purple hair despite ostensibly taking place in "realistic" modern Japan

artists get bored easy and are hungry for visual razzmatazz

>So he was a racist wigger? That's actually pretty interesting.
Who do you think Iggy Azalea got it from

Richie being gay wasn't even mentioned or really hinted at in the show itself though. Does it really count.

But that's the thing: no one actually has blue or purple hair (unfortunately, genetic research must be done goddamn it). But black Americans range from pretty much being a white person with some black ancestry to being as dark as Whoopi Goldberg's neck. A good example for you would probably be the Gross Sisters, who were so ashy they were blue.

I already said that. And I guess not, except for butthurt fans of Richie learning that he's gay.

I always thought he was gay and could have sworn it was mentioned in the show, must be my mind rewriting history after the fact of learning he was really gay but I always thought he was

Kinda like how I always feel like Darwin on Gumball is black despite it never being mentioned, and he's actually an orange fish

This is a cool Static thread and it cheers me up. Static is one of my favorite DC/Milestone heroes and I'm getting tired of people in some Injustice threads saying he doesn't deserve a spot in any DC related things.

I hate when authors make villains cartoonishly racist. It's like making them Nazis or edgy psychopaths, it just turns them into mindless monsters. Feels like a cop out.

>Kinda like how I always feel like Darwin on Gumball is black
I don't get this. I'm black and I don't see anything black in Darwin. If anything I could believe Gumball is a black kid over Darwin

To be fair though there is a time and place for that type of character, if fiction mirrors reality why not? I hear people sometimes hate that Carnage is too much like a real serial killer, but why shouldn't that kind of character exist? They exist in real life, why not comics?

youtube.com/user/FishStickOnAStick/videos

I can't remember the review, but he made the point that while yes, John Wayne Gacy and Dahmer exist in real life, but if you wrote out what they did in a purely fictional story - it'd come off as super edgy tryhard shit.

Dude, the Red Skull is the exact opposite of mindless.

And racism is hell of cartoonish anyway, but that doesn't stop grown-ass adults from choosing to die on that hill even now.

Who cares, show was shit compare to JL and JLU. It was like Saturday's sloppy 3rds. Also, don't like that it was such a childish departure from the original comics.

>this is my face while i'm burning you up the ass

Low production values, shitty fake hip-hop soundtrack, pretty fuckin' stupid compared to the Milestone/Dc series it's LOOSELY based on. It doesn't like to touch on real issues too much, substituting cartoon scenarios and goofy, non-threatening enemies. The only plus is that Hotsteak's design is MUCH better than the comic design. Downside? No Holocaust. But introducing him would have led to an episode about not wanting to be considered a "sellout" by people of your race, and potentially being led into becoming a criminal because of it. But, like I said, this show was frickin' terrified of touching on real issues black kids face...because it's aimed for a white audience.

That's so cool! I wouldn't mind reading a story time thread of that

I'm guessing this is a comic based on the show and not the original one the show was based on

Well let's be fair man, it still was a daytime cartoon...it wasn't fucking HBO's Spawn. Everything is relative and you have to judge it by those standards, be they based on the audience the show was going for and the era it came out in

It's because he's the sidekick foil, and people are used to the bllack best friend. That, and his VA is black too, IIRC.

>It's because he's the sidekick foil, and people are used to the bllack best friend.
It's not that simple...I don't feel like Rigby is black, for example, it's something more about Darwin

The VA thing is there but I can't really say he talks "black" either in any way

I don't get it either but I sure felt like it

There wasn't a static shock TV show comic, it's all part of the milestone continuity

>dated a Latin girl
Good taste

Ive only seen a few episodes of that show amd I get the same feeling about Darwin

>I wouldn't mind reading a story time thread of that
use the archive, newfag.

>>All he does is show up and randomly attack Static unprovoked while shouting "YOU HAVE TO GO BACK" at the top of his lungs

>John Stewart Green Lantern
I got really fuckin' confused and excited for a second there.

You're kidding right?
He's basically Urkel if he was a fish

Best costume

I remember liking how the little flipbook feature that they did at the ends of some episodes showed other villains doing dynamic action-y things, while for the shadow guy it was just him talking.

well there was an episode where richie's dad was racist

forgot pic
youtube.com/watch?v=8V7a2pxeNeE

Having actual black people involved instead of a bunch of virtue signaling Tumblr types helps

>I always thought he was gay

Because he had that gay little earring.

He just seemed like an asshole than a racist. Making a character like him a racist seems a little too on the nose

>Also, Static Shock seemed like a pretty "progressive" show for the time
I know you meant that as a compliment but after almost a decade of that word being used incorrectly I now see it as a negative.
That said the Static comics and Milestone were very good and handled their issues well.
As for Hotstreak they never showed him being racist probably becuase it would be difficult with the show's rating and they would probably get complaints from parents groups if a villain was so casually racist, not like the show hot streak and comic hotstreak are really all that similar anyway, comic hotstreak was a older gangbanger with super speed while show hotstreak was a high school bully with pyrokinesis.

Those shows were made by Black People. I think Boondocks and Static Shock succeeded in representing black culture while the Proud Family failed because everyone was an asshole except Zoe, Oscar, and maybe Penny.

The answer is
Kind of
Basically everyone got worse at using cartoons to give morality lessons and instead of just addressing the issue things got muddled so now we have things like SU where supposadly the cartoon is supposed to be about lgbt acceptance with the gems being a stand in for gays but because the creators didn't know what they were doing the metaphor doesn't make sense compare it to say the x men cartoons where despite them also using mutants as a metaphor it works better because the tone is consistent.
Another big problem is the way they focus on the issue, Static was a black character but that was never the draw of the show, the theme song was "Superhero Static Shock!" Not "Black guy static shock!" I have noticed that tv shows in general lately treat inclusion of minority characters like some daring plot twist ironically making it seem weirder than it is, if you want to foster a world where there is acceptance it would be a good idea to start by not making it a spectacle you know?
>You know damn well that if Static came out today it would be called Tumbl
If it was still being made by McDuffie no, but in the hands of someone less capable that shit would fall apart, the kind of obsessive racial fetishism that is becoming common place these days is the kind of shit he mocked.

But people were always bad at using cartoons to give morality lessons. Back then it was usually enforced by the executives to get the parents off their case about the cartoons being violent and dumb. Now a lot of creators are just using their cartoons as vehicles for their political views.

I'm pretty sure Static will be the same with minor changes to the cast. DC doesn't trust Tumblr with their properties, they see Marvel losing money because they hired tumblr to do their comics.

All mine! ;)

This is the biggest thing to keep in mind when it comes to talking about Static
The cartoon was a Saturday morning kids action cartoon not an HBO late night animated drama about the plight of inner city youth
Most in not all the villains and issues brought up in the comics would have to be toned down or taken out entirely due to the nature of the program they were making

This is some saved by the bell ass shit

Also, it's dying for a dub "Juggernaut Bitch" style

>THIS WHITE PEOPLE FOOD BLAND AS FUCK

>But people were always bad at using cartoons to give morality lessons.
Yes but they still got worse.
Captain Planet was preachy as fuck but at least it was direct to it's point and you understood what it was trying to say, some other cartoons not as much.

It got worse because creators got increasingly egocentric and opinionated when given more freedom to do what they want. Plus, many cartoonists are pretty much sheltered and naive in how the world works.

>be racist
>learn racial tolerance
>later on son comes out as gay

kek

I would kill for another Milestone animated series, hell another Milestone anything really. I would love to see Icon show up in his own animated series as the wealthy black republican trying to show his hood rat sidekick how stupid she is

Man remember old Static in Gotham, dude was fucking buff as hell.

YJ had Icon, and it is getting a season 3.