What does Sup Forums think of the black nerd trope in media?

What does Sup Forums think of the black nerd trope in media?

It's what happens when you systematically declare every other characterization racist.

I hardly see it as much as other people.

I like it cause tells black kids they can be smart and black.

I liked it a lot back in the day. All the subplots in Malcolm in the Middle where Hal gets into stupid contests trying to one-up Stevie's dad and their all-black poker group, or the one where he gets into a fight with the dentist over the bill to fix his tooth

I don't think it could be done today. The writers would be falling over themselves to demonstrate how socially conscious they were. It would suck all the actual humor out of jokes like the one where they try to scare off Lois' mom because she's afraid of black people.

>With my intelligence
>And tokenism
>The sky's
>The limit!

Whatever encourages lil nigs to not steal bikes, it's fine.

>that one time he drugged and raped lois while reese watched
Stevie was based.

Checkmate Sup Forums, you can be black AND fail with women

fucking end me

Quick, name a black character in any media that doesn't fall into either the nerd or the obnoxious ghetto thug trope.

On a semi-related note, while watching #oscarssoblack Sunday, I couldn't help but noting that while you had black actors/actresses portraying math nerds from 50 years ago (and drug addicts, natch), the technical awards for film were all a bunch of white American and Euros.

Is it a sad legacy for black nerds that their descendents show up at the Oscars for "best portrayal of a crack-head?"

That one guy in Last man on earth.

John Stewart seemed pretty normal all around.

Filmore

Deadshot in Oscar winner Suicide Squad.

He's a thug but more like a Bobba Fett kind of exclusive thug not a gheto thug.

Static shock really wasn't a nerd

DC is noteworthy for having a cast of male black heroes who could all be portrayed by Sidney Poitier.

You'd understand if you were older.

I've never met a black nerd in my life. Half black? Yes.

The entertainment industry is still incredibly segregated, even more so on the technical side. IIRC, 2017 was the first year a black cinematographer was nominated for an oscar.

Miles Morales.

Chuck on Last Man Standing.

Didn't he REALLY like comic books and such? I'm basing this on the TV show, though.

While I dislike the word nerd for being a bit too overused now, I'm the kind of guy that has memorized the theme song to Mazinkaiser and is semi-obsessed with Brian K. Vaughan.

Most of the characters in Everybody Hates Chris, and a lot of the characters in Barbershop.
Also The Boondocks, excepting Riley and a few crazy people.

Also, the Lamilton episode really drives home that Riley isn't "street" at all, he's just a dumb little kid affecting street style.

Static was a nerd and kinda ghetto .

Static was about as Ghetto as Star Girl.

Define ghetto.

He was more like a blank black teenager that didn't fall on a category.
His white friend was a complete nerd, if static had nerd traits, was because of him.

I've known quite a few, but they're nothing like the ones in cartoons that are just white nerds painted black. They're best described as wide-eyed children who think everything is the most awesome thing they've ever seen. Their enthusiasm is ridiculous.

I'm Dominican, if that counts for anything, and every Dominican I know younger than, say, 30 either is or at some point was a dirty fucking weaboo.

Better taste than Sup Forums though.

Yeah nah, you're a cunt

Carl Carlson.

Vince from Recess.

Blade

Did that whole "Blade's daughter" thing ever take off or can we safely forget that was ever discussed?

Static was pretty nerdy.He was created to be a nerd. He read comic books and in his comic series he played DnD games.

I know this is gay and semi-relevant, but whenever I learn someone on Sup Forums is either black/gay/woman/trans/over 35 I get a little bit of happiness inside.

Like yeah. It's good to have stereotypes broken. Autism spans all creeds and colours.

Black nerds were created so they can include a non-offensive black character, so talk about racism

And it was the first time in history a black cinematographer was noteworthy enough to be nominated.
They just need to stop falling into the stereotypes they make for themselves.

>Sup Forums
>not full of fags and niggers

Half black is black, you fucking retard.

Nah, that's mulatto / oreo.

Black is black is black.

nice argument child, now run along and let the big dawgs play

Only in fucking ghetto world. In the real world, black is looking black. Which includes half-black. No one is going to see a black dude raving about DBZ and say "oh he's not a real black nerd, he's only half-black". What the fuck are you idiots smoking? You need to go back to fucking tumblr and stay there.

>they

Where the fuck is my black people of the month magazine it's like 24 years late in the mail.

WE WUZ

He's a nerd user, he goes to a private school and is on the science team.

how does it feel to have never attended an anime club?

>tfw I was the nerd of my group of white friends.
>tfw they're all dumb to average intelligence
i always liked that trope, it was kinda affirming

This.

Not that anyone should ever regret not attending an anime club.

Gerald from Hey Arnold

I have a nerdy black friend. He's a true weeb, but "geeky" in a Bazinga way, but he's also very normie (not in a "black" kinda way, if it makes any sense).

He also likes Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West.

Kendrick and Kanye are both black nerds, so this isn't uncommon.

Any black Star Wars character.

How many black people have you meet, senpai?

Carter from the Weekenders. He was pretty average in school and his thing was he was obsessed with fitting in and also shoes.

Fairly accurate. Because that's literally me.

I think its the only safe trope writers can make that doesn't offend most black viewers watching, and won't scare any white people.

Gerald was pretty average

Isn't Avdol Egyptian?

Yes but for whatever reason the guy who wrote JoJo believes in KANGZ

Tiger&Bunny had Ben and Nathan

>obsessed with shoes

Lots of Total Drama characters.
>Chef
>DJ
>Lightning
>Jasmine
>B
>Beardo
>Sanders
Justin and Sierra also may be black.

he's pretty hot tho
well...now he is

Positive discrimination: the archetype

Oh no, you can't just be a normal nigga. You gotta be the nerd, or the baller, or the hoodrat, or the impossibly cool smack-talking Will Smith clone.

You can imagine how weird it is watching this stuff as a somewhat dorky middle class suburban black kid.

This was my first though.
Static Shock second.

I like the trope in real life, black nerds are always bro-tier

Not if the dad was the white one

You do realize this trope appeared long before the appearance of the regressive left, right?

>dorky middle class suburban
So you were a black nerd

Stop thinking american standards could destroy genetics.

Whats with black people and Yu-gi-oh?
All the hardcore players I ever met were always black.

Jaleel White is 40 years old.

I had 2 black nerdy friends in high school. One was short and fat and the other was tall and skinny.

Huey Freeman

You do realize niggers complaining about everything being racist appeared long before the appearance of the regressive left, right?

I volunteered at a youth center and all the young kids were OBSESSED with anime, Star Wars, and Sonic.

Very oddly, it's overrepresented and underrepresented at the same time.

It wasn't much of a thing until the late 80s. The main reason Urkel caught on like he did was because black and nerd was such a bizarre combination for a character at the time.

Any media? Most of the stuff made or set before the 80s.

One black guy explained to me that the reason for the DBZ thing among black people was that most black people just have nothing better to do than run around on the streets. DBZ caught on like it did with them because it gave them something to do every afternoon. I assume Yugioh is something similar.

There are black nerds all over Sup Forums.

The trope exist in these type of shows because they are the type of nerd that would follow along with the crazy MC.

Look at black anime fans they tend to be the most happy anime fans because they really get into the shit.

>Dominican

They all love Dragon ball Z it seems.

Static Shock
AquaLad
Cyborg from teen titans imo. yeah he was a living super computer but his personality was that of a bro-tier jock

Guy who graduated high school when I was a freshman was 2nd or 3rd in his class and now works for NASA. Another person I graduated with is now in his 3rd year at a tech school and is obsessed with smash bros and anime, though he's half black to a single, British mother.

now explain why they like fighting games so much

>whatever reason.
Araki is immortal, he probably was there way back when, so I'd take his word on it any day.

Can we all agree that Moss from IT Crowd is the best fictional black nerd?

How about Fred Perry being the best real black nerd?

Cyborg from Teen Titans was the team jock more than anything else, although he still had scientific expertise through the nature of his powers.

Gus from Psych

Basically any character ever played by Idris Elba

Fresh Price.
He wasn't a nerd or a thug.

That was the first black character to come to mind in general.

as a black person with the whole afro/glasses/"nerd"" motif going on let me shed my personal experience with this

>growing up in daycare in small podunk town
>because the people who run the daycare are cool with our parents they would let me and my sis watch TV during mid-day nap time
>would always manage to catch Toonami and a bunch of anime shows that used to come on cartoonetwork like Hamtaro,Rave Master,DuelMaster,YugiOh ect
>preteen years eventually move onto Adult Swim and Toonami so I end up watching even more anime classics like GiTS,FCLC,FMA,Bebop,Trigun,Inuyasha and Yuyu hakasho

I just personally think Black people like DBZ because it was "our childhood" same as Spongebob or Big Bears Playhouse rather than obsession or yearning for the japanese culture.

The all black poker group episodes were always great episodes.

I have several black nerd friends. They're cool.

Hal's pride at being the member of the group getting the most action, and him being a permanent part of the group after that, was glorious.

>What does Sup Forums think of the black nerd trope in media?
well, I'm not into fantasy, but is right

> another "off the streets narrative"
That "black" guy is a fucking idiot.

Black kids like DBZ for the same reason everyone else who likes DBZ does: they think it's a good series.

King motherfucker, do you know what it is.