A star from the "Lord of the Rings" films from Peter Jackson expressed his displeasure over the planned TV show...

A star from the "Lord of the Rings" films from Peter Jackson expressed his displeasure over the planned TV show. John Rhys-Davies, who played the dwarf Gimli in the trilogy, ranted about the Amazon project following reports that the streaming platform will spend $250 million for the series.

Rhys-Davies did not hold back his opinion about Amazon's "Lord of the Rings" series in an interview with Den of Geek. He stated that the plan is fueled by greed for money.

"Why we quite need 'Lord of the Rings' as a TV series baffles me slightly," Rhys-Davies said. "I mean, poor Tolkien must be spinning in his grave," the actor added, in reference to author JRR Tolkien's classic work.

Rhys-Davies also said a better project would be to hire writers to develop stories in the world of Tolkien, instead of optioning the author's estate. He pointed out that there are plenty of young writers the studio can tap to develop inspired stories.

"That's where I'd be looking and it's still a great tribute to Tolkien," he said. "It costs less to make and it would be original and fresh."

The news comes as the Tolkien estate just lost its director. Tolkien's son, Christopher, stepped down from his duties and it's a big game changer for the future of the author's legacy.

Christopher took control of the stories in his father's work. He had a say in what can and cannot be done in the movie iterations but now that he's no longer in the position, radical changes might be inevitable.

>christianpost.com/news/lord-of-the-rings-star-displeased-with-planned-tv-show-says-tolkien-spinning-in-his-grave-206881/

I'm glad Christopher Lee didn't live to see this travesty take place. The Hobbit was enough, it probably shortened his life by several years.

I remember watching and listening to the cast commentary and he was very moved by the movies. He got really emotional and compared them to building the pyramids that's how highly he regards the story itself and the work of the production.

>Rhys-Davies also said a better project would be to hire writers to develop stories in the world of Tolkien
Isn't that what they're doing?

Good man.

Nothing's set in concrete yet, but so far that's what the rumors are saying.

IIRC he was allergic to the glue in his prosthetics or something so every single day he put it on he suffered a painful allergic reaction, and he still went through with it, day after day. His final act on the set was to burn said prosthetics.

It seems everyone on the set was almost like a family.

Based Manray

I disagree with him there, I think they're shite, but he's bang on point about making new fresh material in the same universe rather than making Book: The Movie: The Series

then you're an idiot

WE

What's John even doing these days? Just living off the LoTR money or is he still acting?

The movies or the books?

>I think they're shite

>radical changes might be inevitable.

BLACKED Middle Eath

Someone should really edit the nazgul to look like the KKK

top kek

>Black Riders are now White Riders with KKK hoods

>radical changes might be inevitable.

>a better project would be to hire writers to develop stories in the world of Tolkien
No, this is literally the worst thing they could do with regards to Tolkien's legacy as it affords every millennial, beard-twirling writer to apply their modern sensibilities on a universe that was very much written as a reflection on a certain period in history where Tolkien lived.

>We wuz Numenoreos n sheeeeit before whitey exiled us

In other interviews he's expressed his distaste of immigrants coming in and not assimilating to European culture. He's pretty based. Inb4 muh source, look it up yourselves retards

All the actors in the fellowship got a matching tattoo on their shoulders

>brown people
>sjw/pc politic crap crammed in somewhere
>shitty female characters

it's going to be so awful.

Exactly. Self-important pieces of shit thinking they can improve what's already perfect

Except John Rhys-Davies.

There’s literally only a handful of things wrong with the OG.

>how Saruman is shuffled away in the theatrical cut is a bit weak
>some of the effects in the extended cut of Return of the King are a tad wonky

Considering those are the only things wrong with collection of content over 9 hours long is nothing short of astounding

Orlando Bloom got his on the inside of his forearm, you can see it in the first Pirates of the Caribbean

Based.

Tattoos are degenerate.

I'm extremely worried.

I've always wanted a Silmarillion TV show. But now that it could be in the works I don't want it.

They're going to force diversity.

Stupid Legolas shit
Army of dead
Gondor is incompetent
Denethor is an asshole
Faramir is conflicted on what to do with the ring
Uruks are super soldiers that cleave through men with ease
Sauron is a fucking eye / lighthouse beam

There was a lot wrong with the movies. They were still good but dont pretend they were perfect.

>Stupid Legolas shit
Agreed, but at least it only happened once per movie.

>Army of dead
Should have done what they did in the book, but understandable that they didn't

>Denethor is an asshole
He was an asshole in the book too. But it was mostly due to Sauron screwing with him.

>Gondor is incompetent
Not incompetent, but dying, exhausted, they were fighting for a long time.

>Faramir is conflicted on what to do with the ring
Better for the movie, shows the power of the ring, and of man when he comes to his senses.

>Uruks are super soldiers that cleave through men with ease
Bigger threat.

>Sauron is a fucking eye / lighthouse beam
Silly, but it's better than having him having autistic fits in his tower.

fucking perfect

>Tolkien must be spinning in his grave
Too soon

arwen needs to remain white

Fuckin saved

Lee has been in so many terrible movies I doubt he fucking cared at all how good or bad the Hobbit films were

10/10

he played in elf king in the 1st season of that mtv show shanara chronicles

He raises good points, sadly they won't take the risk on new stories

>Christian post

That made me laugh, what a source.

All this. The movies aren't perfect for these reasons (damn close mind). But a lot of the changes make sense and work really well for the films. Aragorn being wary of his destiny and Faramir's indecision on the ring are two great examples of thiws.

The biggest problem is that they want to turn this into insipid pulp-y Game of Thrones-trash.

They want sex and violence and gritty and incest and shit, because that is what people wants.

Middle-Earth is like mythology, and Game of Thrones is taxation and whether or not the king killed little babies.

I swear to god if they start fucking with my beloved LOTR, I’m turning full Nazi

Reading through the book for the nth time here, agree with your points. However, consider what the films did right for its medium, such as:
>Letting Éomer be the one to ride to Théoden's aid at Helm's Deep instead of Random Vestfold Lord
>Emphasizing Rohan's futility by showing children and old men in their ranks, which is barely mentioned in the books

Fuck, Helm's Deep in general was so well made and the small details I mentioned made the perfect adaptation to a visual medium.

How about this:
Don't watch the Amazon series if you feel it's gonna be filled with SJW shit

I have to imagine when you're spending that much time together you're either going to become really close or despise each other.

is there a good torrent or something with the commentary track available?
>inb4 piratefag

Why not stop watching tv overall because it's filled with SJW shit?

Why not stop living in this country if it's filled with SJW shit?

Why not stop breathing and die alredy if it's filled with SJW shit?

>Not owning the Collector Edition of LotR Trilogy
>2017

but why

A TRIUMPH

>I have to eat shit because it exists
Nice way of living

I'll have too see it shilled on Sup Forums. That's enough for me user.

i dont own a tv. also i don't have a dvd/bluray-player in my pc

Exactly.

>incest

good thing there's no incest in Tolkien's works, right?

He knows what will happen to Tolkien's universe in (((liberal))) hands.

Nah he was a Tolkien autist and ripped into Jackson whenever he wanted to do something too ridiculous in LoTR

There will be.

Never directly brought to attention. Whereas you have other shows and works that need the incest to be either graphically shown, forcefully implied or a mish-mash of the two.

pobably. the guy said in an interview he read through the books once a year

>there will now be a Tolkien Cinematic Universe with yearly movies just like disneywars

>plenty of young writers the studio can tap to develop inspired stories.

No there aren't. No pampered UCLA English major who spent more time on Foucault than Beowulf has the life experience or simple pathos of a man who saw the trenches of the Somme and saw the last vestiges of an older, more agrarian society fade away.

Our postmodern society is simply incapable of producing another Tolkien.

I was just kidding, as GoT has desensitized people to it in such a way that viewers wouldn't see Túrin as a tragedy

>Our postmodern society is simply incapable of producing another Tolkien.

his life looks cozy as fuck, no surprise he stopped writing that meandering trash

>GRRM
>comparable to Tolkien in any way
top meme and I actually like GRRM

Is LOTR as much of a pain in the ass to read as people say it is?

The only big series I've read in my like is The Witcher.

Why do I care more about Tolkien's lore but don't give a shit about any of his character meanwhile I care more about GRRM's characters but don't give the slightest shit about his lore?

>rolling in royalty money
>writing glorified comic book and fantasy fanfiction in Wildcards and ASOIAF
>nerds everywhere suck his dick
>eats himself to an early grave on top tier mexican food
based

You might want to tackle picture books first then move onto bob books before thinking about reading LOTR

>tfw diverse middle earth

ASOIAF's lore isn't that bad, it has a good hodgepodge of (non-meme) Lovecraftian and Howardian elements

it's funny that I haven't read the series in a decade but can remember more of it off the top of my head than GRRM can in any of his interviews

Nerd culture was a mistake. I kind of hope this becomes this decade's Batman and Robin and everyone just grows tired of it and the entire movement collapses like a set of dominoes.

Because Tolkiens work was written to be more of a myth and legend.
Martins work is more grounded in reality.
You prefer more meaty experiences, while others like myself enjoy more, for lack of a better term atm, puffy experience (too use a food analogy).

>Because Tolkiens work was written to be more of a myth and legend.
>Martins work is more grounded in reality.
Tolkien is honestly more grounded in reality when it comes to characters.
GRRM cant into characters

Tolkien takes his inspiration from Anglo-Saxon myth and the literature of his time, GRRM takes his from old pulp fantasy like Howard. Both have their merits, though I personally consider Tolkien a better writer George has come up with some great stuff too. >American Tolkien is still stupid as shit though.

Very true. His characters are like the old heroes of myth and legend. GRRMs are just people that are reminiscent of those from our history. Alot more dull imho.

>and the literature of his time

huh
he was a modernist in some senses but he really didn't take anything from the modernist literature of his period. Very clearly in the classical camp

I think you have shit taste

well, "his time" might be somewhat of a misnomer, more so what he grew up reading than what prevalent when the trilogy were first released in the 50s

why are Tolkien threads so comfy

>Not "Kang of the Rangz n' shiiieet: Oooh lordy lord, the fuckin' kang is back yall!

I'm still talking about the late 19th and early 20th century, which is the period of modern literature and is sharply in contrast to both classical work the style of which Tolkien emulated

i understand why christopher stepped down, heäs like 90+ and if i were him i wouldn't want to spend the last days of my life ordering people around

I'd watch it

wrong, he made lord of the rings just because the anglo saxons didn't have a mythology. all of it was inspired by nordic mythology, specifically the poetic edda

Because we care user... because we care.

>Rhys-Davies also said a better project would be to hire writers to develop stories in the world of Tolkien, instead of optioning the author's estate. He pointed out that there are plenty of young writers the studio can tap to develop inspired stories.
But that's exactly what they're doing. It doesn't mean they can do it without paying the fee to Tolkien's heirs.

>why are Tolkien threads so comfy
I don't know user, but i have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach that it won't be the case after the release of this television series. Just look at /got/.

I think when they do Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor video game they didn't pay that fee. It says they consulted to WB and Peter Jackson about the content (The video game happens between Hobbit and LotR, curiously as same as they want to do with this tv show).

Amazon paid money to use LotR on the tv shows name, even if they named it LotR: Stories or some other stupid normie shit like that.

>this manchild
>another Tolkien
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Get off the internet, Martin you fat fuck, and end your stupid book.

>'There is a demographic catastrophe happening in Europe that nobody wants to talk about, that we daren't bring up because we are so cagey about not offending people racially,' he said.

>'By 2020, 50 percent of the children in Holland under the age of 18 will be of Muslim descent. Western Europeans are not having any babies. The population of Germany at the end of the century is going to be 56 per cent of what it is now. The population of France, 52 per cent of what it is now. There is a change happening in the very complexion of Western civilisation in Europe that we should think about at least and argue about.

>'If it just means the replacement of one genetic stock with another genetic stock, that does not matter too much. But if it involves the replacement of Western civilisation by a different civilisation with different cultural values, then it is something we really ought to discuss - because, goddammit, I am for dead white male culture.'

>In a later interview, Rhys-Davies added: 'I do not want to see a society where, should I ever have any, my granddaughters have their fingernails pulled out because they are wearing nail varnish. Do not brand me a racist because I am certainly not. But I will stand by this: Western Christianised Europe has values and experiences worth defending.'

wtf i love Gimli now

I don't give a shit if they cast a bunch of non whites for the series, that would have zero impact on the story for me. What would ruin it however, is if they filled it full of stronk female characters.

Lotr is a story that is full of absolute Bros amd it needs to stay that way. Tolkien fought in ww1 and I have no doubt that many of his characters were created I'm the image of fallen comrades, amd this is something that women will simply never understand.

>mythology doesn't exist because it was inspired by other cultures
oh damn I guess all of roman culture doesn't exist then, better move to athens

are you completely fucking retarded

BASED DORF

careful guys or you're going to meme this shit right into existence