Why were critics so mixed about this film?

why were critics so mixed about this film?

It's good isnt it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eAA3KF-VBac
youtube.com/watch?v=rZsvPey3NOc
youtube.com/watch?v=dYNLbQt4hrk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you know a marine biologist, it's the best movie ever made.

i just liked it a lot for being so eccentric and bizarre and still being interesting and funny.

I can't believe it got a 50% on rotten tomatoes, honestly one of my favorite-ish films i've ever seen

Big Anderson fan but like this one about the least. The aesthetics are lovely, and the concept but the Zissou character and his arc doesn't work for me. Murray does Murray, doesn't inhabit the character, a Lesser sort of Rushmore, Broken flowers, LOT performance. The father son theme and adoration and stuff doesn't work for me.

that could be part of it but while i do find all the characters, while very down-to-earth, believable and realistic, at the same time it's hard to care about the characters when they aren't very passionate, instead almost always in some sort of calm state of mind, if that makes sense.

also i've seen fantastic mr fox and grand budapest as well (both admittedly probably better), what would you recommend next?

I was thinking about this film today, I'e seen it three times and each time thought it was better.

My dad died a couple of months ago, maybe I should watch it again.

Rushmore and Tebenbaums in that order.

Rushmore is entry level & Royal Tenenbaums is his best film. So one of those

yeah it's good. It's also worse than most of Anderson's better movies that preceded it (Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums) and the popular great ones that followed it (Moonrise Kingdom, Budapest)

just posted below you guys, holy shit my niggas

i guess it's unanimous, ty yall

the life aqua is his best film you fuckin plebs

rushmore and royal are have too much layers of jewishness for anyone other then beta jews to relate too it

debate me

This is the only Wes Anderson movie I really liked. Budapest Hotel was ok too.

generally a sound thesis but for the sake of contrarianism i will point out that rushmore and royal were both co-written by based owen wilson who got replaced by (((noah baumbach))) for life aquatic so theres that

I wonder if he remembers me

its good but not one of his best

youtube.com/watch?v=eAA3KF-VBac

It's definitely not so far removed from Anderson's other much more well received work to be considered that much worse or better. I don't understand it either.

thought that was sam hyde at first

>t. You need an understanding of theoretical physics

I can't put my finger on it but there's something wrong with the pacing. Every other Anderson film, I'm engrossed from start to end. This one, I have a hard time paying attention

they wanted the submarine to shoot torpedos

Anderson is one of those directors that divides audiences.

fuck you nigga

your that guy who just says something but it doesn't move the conversation forward

neck urself

I still think this is Wes's best film.
By far the most funny.
inb4 Rushmorefags

>inb4
Whoops, obviously far too late.

wes's best movie is universally recognised to be moonrise kingdom

>film
anderson is the auteur of flicks not films

Moonrise Kingdom is objectively his best film and will be talked about decades from now.

The Life Aquatic is my personal favorite and it's really the film in which the "Wes Anderson Style™" comes together and matures into what we later saw in Fantastic Mr. Fox, Moonrise, and Grand Budapest. Story-wise, it's just about the closest thing that we'll ever get to a live action 2000's classic-era Adult Swim cartoon, and the soundtrack is just the icing on the cake. In his pantheon, it's criminally underrated.

Its an pretentious weird "artsy" film. People with taste know this and criticize it for that.

Hipsters and teenagers love it.

>cates large tummy

it isn't his best movie.

Murray sucks.

This is unironically his best movie because instead of normal characters from the real world being exaggerated into something weird, this focuses on normal characters from an inherently weird world

To me it just takes that Wes quirkiness and dials it up way too high. Some say the same about The Royal Tenenbaums, but that found a balance in how successful it as a family drama. Life Aquatic is bogged down in how cute it's trying to be.

>
It great due to
knocked up cate

It's got a unique aesthetic. I like it, but don't think about it much, just like most of Anderson's work.

I don't like it, because I don't like Bill "reddit" Murrey

youre in a different universe than me pal

That Seu Jorge soundtrack though:
youtube.com/watch?v=rZsvPey3NOc

Like others I found it a little too messy. The central story is neither strong nor consistent enough to drive the film so you end up with what feels like a movie made up of side-characters.

The beach raid scene was cool though.
youtube.com/watch?v=dYNLbQt4hrk

What would a Wes Anderson war movie look like?

A civil war re-enactment where people greet each other quite normally and then actually shoot at each other with real guns and die horribly in this suburban park with cars going past in the background

It's my favorite Wes Anderson movie, and I don't even care that this is an objectively wrong opinion to hold

Easily the best Anderon flick. It helps that, barring Fantastic Mr. Fox, his other movies are just boring as hell.

desu a lot of the strength in his movies comes from his co-writers. Fantastic Mr Fox and Life Aquatic have always been the two worst Wes Anderson movies and it's not a surprise why

Moonrise is great, despite what this site tells you

yes. it has sooo many moments. top 5 in my list

his best movies are written with either owen wilson or roman coppola

I have heard a lot of criticism towards Anderson movies but this is the first time I hear "boring".
How do you have such a short attention span? Do you watch anime is that it?

owen wilson's accent in this film is fucking terrible. otherwise, this was a good movie.

sorry replied to your post just from looking at the picture, didnt realize i paraphrased what you wrote till i posted

yeah, I'm pretty excited for his new movie. Mr Fox and Life Aquatic feel like completely different movies from the rest of his stuff and I think it's because Noah has too much of a say in the writing department.

It's his best film. One of the best movies ever made. Critics are faggots.

They are visually distinctive, with great acting and usually a memorable soundtrack. I can appreciate that but most of his movies are still boring to actually watch.

Because it was unique. They could not find a similar film and copy whatever they said about that. They needed to think and figure out if it was good or not.

Oh please, go to r/movies with that shit

Moonrise Kingdom
Rushmore
Royal Tenembaums
Fantastic Mr Fox
Grand Budapest Hotel
Life Aquatic

All are good though

Its his best movie desu

Life Aquatic is widely accepted amongst his films as the best, while Grand Budapest Hotel seems to be considered the most mainstream.

Personally, my favourite film of his is Darjeeling Limited, but more due to how much I can identify a similar type of crisis within my own family, except my father is still alive, and I don't see things being resolved with my siblings anytime soon.

I don't like The Life Aquatic because it's got the same basic themes as most of his movies (family turmoil) but it's not executed well. you just don't care about the drama because nobody sells it, all of the entire cast is just phoning in their performances and it makes the entire film suffer as a whole. that combined with the Noah writing (this is clear in all of the random so wacky shit in the film) makes it his worst for me. it feels like a ripoff of Wes Anderson, more so over Moonrise Kingdom.

I'd have to say I do find Darjeeling Limited the most enjoyable as well, it feels the most grounded and the color palate is beautiful. the relationship with the brothers feel real and it sucks you in. i know a lot of others don't like it but I found it amazing.

>I don't see things being resolved with my siblings anytime soon.
reminder that you don't own your siblings shit but they're still your siblings. even if you hate them, you're suck with them and that's something you just have to deal with. you don't have to 'resolve' anything as long as you comes to terms that they're family and you can't change that.

>Life Aquatic is widely accepted amongst his films as the best, while Grand Budapest Hotel seems to be considered the most mainstream.

You have that completely backwards. I don't want to get into this "accessible = bad" line of argument but Life Aquatic is always the favorite among casual movie watchers

>casual movie watchers

can you imagine being the soyboy who thinks this? like hes sitting there in a knitted vest and taking detailed notes on a consumer product (movie) and thinks he is some form of uncasual

i wish you didnt exist

>shittalking knitted vests in a Wes Anderson thread

No you retard, hes talking about the eccentric qualities if marine biologists.

what the fuck are you even trying, can you not talk in memes? do you not have friends or talk to people IRL? not even him but Life Aquatic is both his best known and favorite for people who are 'into films' but really aren't. it's quirky and tugs at their strings so a lot of people enjoyed it over his other movies. what's your issue kid?

that's just noah baumbach being a hack though

>haha duuuude what if we had a a black frenchman playing guitar all day
>AND A FUCKING TOPLESS BITCH JUST BECAUSE xD

dudes a hack, you can't tell me this is realistic

>what's your issue kid?

gross some beta male is trying to be assertive

using the word uncasual, as though movies arent the most casual piece of shit artform, is so retarded

youre a worthless cunt

>reminder that you don't own your siblings shit but they're still your siblings.
My brother and sister used to get along quite well years ago, but they hate each other now, the type of stupid infantile hate where neither of them will admit there is a conflict nor will they try to change in any way to bring peace back.
I love my family, but I've been getting the feel a part of growing up is seeing those adult figures from your life (I'm the youngest sibling) doing all sorts of stupid things and perpetuating little discussions, turning them into life-long arguments.

I understand that, Life Aquatic is widely regarded as Wes' best film since it was the one that attracted the largest number film savvy people, whether they actually were savvy or not.
GBH was the most widely marketed though, even to the point of getting several oscars, so most casual film viewers who weren't aware of Wes Anderson will have heard of that film the first.

One of my favourite films, imo the most rewatchable one

Expectations were pretty high for this after Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums had gained quite a lot of favor among critics and kind of a cult following. Critics didn't like that this movie didn't show obvious growth compared to TRT. Anderson also went way over budget (almost all movies involving the ocean do) and critics will often go to bat for the studios when it comes to something like that.

This movie has definitely stood the test of time though despite the mediocre reception

This was the first of his I saw, and so it still holds a bit of nostalgia for me. I'll say it isn't his best, but it is something I can always come back to.
The soundtrack is great too, I just saw Seu play all these tracks live a few months back.

Watching that movie was torture.

>I've never seen a bond company stooge stick his neck out like that.
best anderson flick BY FAR