What is this from?

THICC

Loomis.

THINN

LOOMIS

knock-kneed as shit.

>Wonder Woman concept art
How'd you get that?

Something that the majority of Sup Forums does not understand.

I really need to continue working on my art. Thanks for reminding me OP. Hopefully i won't forget this encounter, I'm about to gorge myself on fried chicken and i cant say what or who i'll be after that

Is Loomis really essential or is it just a meme?

the loomis manikin is a good method of drawing the torso and hips, in my personal opinion. It helps you understand the anatomy of the ribcage, spine, and pelvis and how to properly bend it.

You can use any method you want as long as you use a method and not devolve into flat anime faces

It's a very good start at learning the basics.
You will still need to put a lot of practice of your own to get good. Do not rely too heavily on his work.

For what I've understood after dozens of shitstorms with drawfags arguing between them, the books seem legit but will fuck you up teaching you errors and flawed skills.
I'm still not sure myself, just talking what I heard from others; they tend to say "people recommend loomis to troll new guys".

The problem is that, for someone who knows zero about drawing and wants to learn, you only begin to understand with what you should or shouldn't start once you've learned some shit already. So in the end, whatever advice you follow, you're starting "blind".

Go HTDTMW/Buscema first to understand the basics and how to structure shit in a super simple format, Hogarth for some anatomy tips, and Loomis if you want to experiment.

Oh right, I kinda expressed myself badly here Basically, the conclusion of those discussions seem to be that loomis is not bad, but it shouldn't be used as the starting point.

I feel like Hogarth is a bigger meme than Loomis because ive checked out Hogarths books and its literally "draw a circle, now draw the rest of the fucking owl" tier.

That man was god damn crazy, he's an even shittier starting point than Loomis because even though he's been dead for almost a century he's still dick measuring DYEL style by just showing these really obtuse and fucked up simple shapes for certain parts of the body, then going "yeah but you're a pussy i dont even need them"

>yeah but you're a pussy i dont even need them
but is he wrong?

No

But seriously, check out some PDF's of his book, its just "okay so we got an arm, just draw the fucking arm you failure, god damn look at my giant cock"

Some of the smaller scribblings of his are tough to read in the PDF format. I get the books are old but couldn't they have scanned the pages in higher resolution?

>Chad Hogarth

People recommend Figure Drawing For All It's Worth and then some retards dredge up Fun With a Pencil (a manifestly inferior book aimed at children and leaning on cartooning styles that are heavily dated) and say "hurr durr this looks stupid."

What makes Loomis good is how he explains how many rules and things work in a very simple and understandable manner, especially when it comes to perspective lessons.

A lot of people think the books are the "snobby elite" books, probably because Loomis does seem to have a bit of a grudge towards photographers of his time. But really all of his books are more beginner-friendly than you might think. Thats the unique quality of his books in a nutshell: Complex rules explained with simple means so even an idiot can understand them.

>Dude just draw it LMAO

Have you even read Fun With a Pencil?
Cartooning styles are only used as a starting point in the early exercises, they are maybe 1/3 of the book at worst.

>these are simple shapes for Burne

He's good, but his mentor, Bridgman was better at teaching anatomy. Loomis is better at teaching you perspective and composition.

what do you guys think is a good basic skeleton to work with? Do you do hips with a box? Do you do the ribcage? do you make the structure look like slightly simplified bones?

Disks for hips, oval for ribcage (i do a circle at the bottom, curve up and down, personally) sticks for biceps and/or thighs, rough outline for forearm and calves

Thats how i do it anyway.

Underwear for hips, vest for torso,
but loomis method of breaking down anatomy into basic geometry is the best way to learn and memorize proportions and structure and way more adaptable to place perspectively.

>Underwear for hips, vest for torso
Someone watches Jim Lee and/or David Finch.

buy or torrent "Proko Figure Drawing Fundamentals"

It is easy, well explained, and by watching someone draw your brain learns more than by just seeing already done drawings. They also start you on gesture drawing, which will make your shit look waaaay better once you do start working from a system.

You might also want to use the Draw a Box website (google it, also has a subreddit). They have how-to videos as well, I believe. It'll teach you all the basics (if you don't already know them) of drawing, and makes figure drawing waaaaay fucking easier.

For very info-dense, but very easily watchable videos on composition/digital painting/lighting, then youtube Feng's FZD School and start on their first video from years ago. Not directly figure drawing related, but he is constantly dropping hints that'll up your figure drawing game by a brazillion.

For about 10 years everything I drew was mash-up of Hogarth and Byrne.

They are very simple shapes as long as you actually have learned the fundamentals instead of jumping right into anatomy like an idiot.

I'm just glad someone showed me how to make wireframe-style skeletons in 5th grade so I had the chance to practice doing it for 10 years