/trek/-Smug Picard Edition

The Kirk-Spock-McCoy triad really wasn't enough to salvage most of the bad episodes of TOS.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamake_Highwater
pastebin.com/qh3fPmBt
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

first for spots

wooow....... real progressive there Ira

Orville or STD? What should I watch?

Please be as objective and honest as possible. I don’t have much free time for two shows.

Why couldn't we keep Tuvix? It's not like Tuvok is a particularly interesting or sympathetic character, anyway. And everyone knows Neelix is the only person in the Delta Quadrant worse than Tom "White Bread" Paris
>tfw Tom's Parisian Chop Shop episodes will never happen

Star Trek got boring. Sure, the spinoffs had some of the most powerful and emotional episodes in Trek, but overall, as a series, they're all pretty forgettable. As evidenced by the fact that most people have forgotten them.

People still remember Kirk fighting the lizard man or "banging the green chick". The original Trek was an action adventure show with a dash of poignancy to elevate it from mindless action. There are waaaay too many Trek fans who either forget this or are in denial about it. Usually they're the ones complaining about J.J. Trek even though it uses those same ingredients and has been a huge success.

See I wonder if we'd had a film like Trek 09 as TMP if Star Trek wouldn't have a fan following akin to Star Wars. It was around first, was hugely popular in reruns and people were disappointed when they saw TMP and its tone was nothing like people remembered. It was as if Roddenberry and Co. said "What Star Wars is doing? Yeah, do the opposite of that".

Star Wars is a great ride. Yes, it is paper thin in terms of story and depth. It's fun, exciting and feels like a real adventure. Meanwhile Star Trek just got more preachy and "issue oriented" despite the fact that TV taboos were pretty much gone and we no longer needed Star Trek to covertly talk about things like racism, drugs, etc. when regular TV was talking about those things openly and more boldly than Trek ever did. And rather than say "that phase of the franchise is over, let's get back to our roots", they just kept on and got preachy. Preach is boring.

I'll take Kirk fighting the lizard man any day.

The Orville. No meme, you'll cream. It's perfect.

Orville. It's like Star Trek's B team. Normal people on a normal science ship, whereas Trek is "the best of the best".

Shitposter, tell me about your sexual exploits

And reposting. If this is copypasta bait, I'm gonna be mad.

Preachy Trek changed my life. It gave me hope and purpose. It helped me cope with that typical mid-20s existential crisis.

I want more preachy Trek, the Trek that made me evaluate my life, and made me think.

STD has a terrible first 2 episodes. After that it improves to being decent. Orville starts off strong right out of the gate and can be enjoyed right away. The question then becomes: Where are the two shows going?

STD is unironically the DS9 of our generation. Initially rejected vehemently by the community, it will eventually be re-evaluated and respected for having its own separate style and forging its own unique identity.

Similarly, Orville is our Voyager. While it is at first welcomed with open arms for being a return to form, it will ultimately be viewed as an aimless and directionless waste of time that had no ambitions other than to copy TNG but at a far lower level of quality.

But for right now, at this specific moment of time, Orville will be more fun for you to watch AND more fun for you to discuss on the 4chins, because all the STD discussions are plagued with bitterness and butthurt.

Fuck tuvix. Rather have autism Tuvok any day of the week.
>Neelix and tismo Tuvok was the best bro episode in trek history

Autism isn't a joke, user.

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Was it rape?

Yeah it is.
Remember if you not laughing at the tism at work with others, then you are the tism.

nope, the high tech boning was legit

What music do you think they put on while they banged? Maybe some tunes from ol' grandpappy Bing?

Fucking hell that bottom right.

VOY s6e2 is just a shittier version of the TNG episode with Geordi's Borg friend

Why are Riker episodes always about him traveling into his future and being confused? There are so many of them that they blur together in my memory.

Is there a view guide for the various Treks like there are for other shows?

His name was Hugh and he had the greatest ocular implant ever.

Start with episode 1 of a series

Here you go.

i wouldn't be surprised if there are more viewing guides for TNG than literally any other series

hahaha, this

>not reading the Nitpicker's Guide

datress though, yowza

oh man

>datress
Surely "female data" would be "Feels"?

>ねぇキラちゃん
>何
>きみの母さん犯したよ

Why is Data even in Starfleet? He can't want to achieve things, or have ambitions, so what is his motivation?

to bang short haired sloots

The faggot who made this needs to finish it. Yeah I get the joke but it's a half ass job.

I spent several months believing that Broken Link was the end of DS9 and there would never be any more because of this guy.

Goddammit, why can I not stop giggling

>No Death Wish

...whoosh?

The Data android is a machine that acts on a core program that reacts to sensory input. It has no feelings, no emotions, it doesn't age or "decide" to do anything. It's just a machine running on an impossibly complex program designed to make it seem human.
It is not "innocent" or "endearing", and it's actually quite dangerous to any living being in its vicinity. One EM pulse, one ionic disturbance with enough oomph and you have a corrupted OS thats super strong,immortal,"fully functional" and entirely devoid of anything approaching human decency or morals. Theres been too many mistakes. His ship flies to close to a quantum singularity emitting the wrong kind of radiation and he becomes a....well, I dont know what he becomes, but I know you don't want it anywhere near your asshole.

There's a complete one

Is Chakotay supposed to be an Indian? I always thought he was Maori, or something similar.

It doesn't really make any sense; the guy advised them on Native-American spirituality was ethnically an Eastern-European Jew.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamake_Highwater

He's an Indian alright
He blew a week's replicator rations on firewater and traded his quarters to Lt. Bainbridge for an audio recording of her singing "Mamas Little Baby Loves Short'nin Bread"

Looks like he fooled an awful lot of people.

>S02EP15
>Series Finale
every fuckin' time

Or tl;dr:
>Doctor gud
>Chakotay bad

Hey guys, I've added more stuff to my Star Trek list. I have a shit ton of ebooks now. I'm working on downloading more audio books as well, so I will have those available before long. I'm also looking into getting the comics available.

Link to the list: pastebin.com/qh3fPmBt

Also, reminder that Dukat did nothing wrong.

But all the best episodes happened after Season 2

>VOY
>Best episodes

No such thing

Thank you

Hey man they milked the shit out of Year of Hell for like a years worth of story in STO.

>it's a star trek tries to give me nightmares episode

11 episodes into Ent and I like it, especially after Voyager. I wish Archer was my dad.

gross. Voyager is at least fun comfort food tv and has the Doctor. Enterprise is bad in almost all the same ways, has shittier characters, and barely feels like Trek half the time.

You and me both.

At least Ent is trying to be its own show. You're right about the Doctor, but Voyager is just a bad version of TNG with a boring crew. The only interesting episodes are when they actually have to deal with their isolation from the alpha quadrant.

The first 2 seasons were great, and most of 4 too. I was never fond of the Xindi War though, it felt like they were trying to reboot the dominion war with post-9/11 overtones.

>i am not a merry man

*blocks your path*

I agree. 1/2/4 are my favorite seasons. 3 had some good points, but I think it was too much to drag out the plot over the entire season.

i like 30 days

>dedicate a season to showing the follies of trying to stop a weapon of mass destruction after a massive attack at all costs.
>gets cancelled
really makes you think.

>blocks my path to promotion

Akoocheemoya on this Friday we are far from the normies Akoocheemoya

>Endgame
>good

whats your favorite trek book?

Hey, that's not entirely true.

>STD is unironically the DS9 of our generation
I don't know whats shitposting anymore and whats real

The reaction that STD is receiving is the same reaction that DS9 received. Literally "Not Muh Trek".

Heck, the reaction that DS9 received is the same reaction that TNG received. Literally "Not Muh Trek".

It's a tradition.

The thing is that there are differences between early DS9 and STD's departure from the standard Trek. Watch the first season of DS9 again and compare it to the first season of STD and you'll see that they are quite different in terms of tone, style, visual direction, cinematography, and so on. Then compare DS9 to TNG and TOS and think about how STD stacks up. DS9 maintained the ideals and tone of Trek while being different.

Yeah except STD lacks any of the things DS9 did right. You know like:
Setting up the war
Setting up the characters before the war
Setting up the factions involved in the war
Setting up the species involved in the war
Not having a singular character who steals all the spotlight despite being an insufferable Mary Sue who started the war like Michael Burnham
Not having a terrible pilot episode

the people that made STD looked at shit like GoT and TWD and said yeah let's do that

Haven't read many but I really liked the first Vanguard book.

>Setting up the war
>Setting up the characters before the war
>Setting up the factions involved in the war
>Setting up the species involved in the war
The first two episodes are devoted to this.

>Not having a singular character who steals all the spotlight despite being an insufferable Mary Sue who started the war like Michael Burnham
Burnham isn't a Mary Sue. She doesn't solve every problem and isn't even liked by most characters (even before just mutinies, nobody seems to like her except the captain).

>Not having a terrible pilot episode
Both DS9 and STD had pretty garbage pilots but I'd agree that DS9's was better.

>Watch the first season of DS9 again and compare it to the first season of STD and you'll see that they are quite different in terms of tone, style, visual direction, cinematography, and so on.
I don't understand how it was even possible for you to be under the impression that I thought otherwise. I said that STD has its own "separate style", not that it was copying anyone else's style.

>the war
Maybe you need to rewatch DS9 season 1, because they weren't setting up any war in that.

This. STD rushed the Klingon war. DS9 culminated into a war. Big difference.

Yep. Every single Star Trek show goes through this. I doubt Discovery will ever be as loved as TNG or even as liked as DS9, but it's already being accepted in other Trek communities online. I'd say it'll hold a place with Voyager and Enterprise with the fans.

I bet it won't even hold a candle to VOY/ENT

I disagree. Right now, it seems like people are comparing it favorably to Voyager and Enterprise outside /trek/. When the dust settles, I think it'll rank above Voyager.

Andorians and Tellarites are coming in season 2, which means that it's already better than Voyager.

Season 2 or the second half of the first season? Because it seems like the second half of the first season is either going to be Mirror Universe or them hopping through realities like they're Sliders or something.

As someone who hasn't seen STD beyond the pilot can I get a quick rundown on how the tardigrades factor in? I heard there were giant tardigrades.

Tardigrades are a meme animal

Season 2.

Just watched 'Sub Rosa' from Season 7 TNG for the first time in years. It may actually be the worst episode of TNG.

If you actually look at the article and the pictures you'll see that it suffers badly from them assuming they know the Star Trek "format" and fitting everything into that mold.

We, however, know that not every Trek is going to be the same. There isn't going to be "a Spock" in every trek. The doctor isn't always going to be one of the trio of main characters and also best buds with the captain. The criticism they level there is that it's not following the exact same mold, but we've experienced hugely different Treks when you compare TNG to DS9 or even just TOS and no ones crying about how TNG/DS9 "isn't trek".

2 hours are not good enough to set up a fucking major war, get the audience thoroughly invested in the characters, elaborate on factions, elaborate on species etc etc
Do you understand how hard that all is to set up in two fucking episodes? DS9 eased the viewer into the war by having more than 3 seasons worth of fucking episodes for all this shit.

Burham exudes Mary Sue like qualities because of how fast the show jumps into everything. Like not thoroughly going through her background at all, having Tyler instantly fall in love with her because fuck chemistry, attaching her to iconic characters like Spock/Sarek/Amanda, etc.

>DS9 and STD had pretty garbage plots
Not really? DS9 set up exactly what it should during its pilot, not a huge fucking intergalactic conflict. It did its job, STD did too much at once.

Point out where I said in my post that Season 1 alone does all of this.

Literally this, couldn't have simplified it better.

It's seriously annoying how people from GoT have infiltrated every fucking piece of shit they can get their hands on. If you're on GoT you get all kinds of gigs whether you have any sort of fit for them or not. Terminator? Sure, why not. Voiceover for Civ 6? Go ahead Sean Bean, step into the footsteps of Leonard Nimoy.

>Point out where I said in my post that Season 1 alone does all of this.
Then you have unfair standards if you're making the comparison between STD season 1 and DS9 season 5.

Aw shit, I'm feeling it

Sensors show no normies anywhere in this sector.

it is. i would rather watch rikers clip show episode

>Not really? DS9 set up exactly what it should during its pilot, not a huge fucking intergalactic conflict. It did its job, STD did too much at once.
So much this. Fuck, that was a common thing to do at the time even. Babylon 5 also understood how to step up a space station worth of characters and conflicts without just blowing them all, and if you want a transition from action-y pilot to exploring your cast of characters and then taking them somewhere, look at Farscape.

It is the worst episode of TNG in that's it's both boring and terrible. There's other bad episodes like the one with Barclay spider, but at least that one is entertaining.

On top of all that it shows what a terrible actress Gates was when it came to dramatics. She was great when Crusher was just being Crusher, but otherwise nope.