Why was he so popular?

Why was he so popular?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_LjFrzVord0
youtube.com/watch?v=oeyfzEyJw_4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

he was edgy as all hell and that appealed to kids

Gold shield.

This. He passed it to Jason the episode they found titanus and I lost my fucking shit.

>Green
>Special gold pauldrons
>Daggerflute
>Robot Godzilla
>Edgy
>The stronkest
>Essentially the new leader, easily reads like a self-insert.

He had a ponytail in the early/mid 90s and that was cool as shit rather than looking retarded

He also did sick kickflips irl, and the tiger suit was great.

He had a fucking Godzilla mech, that was essentially a megazord by itself.

He was also the newest member and made good entrances.

Because the dragonzord was tight

>edgy
Yeah, for five episodes.

Don't know, I hated him.
He always felt like a gary stu.

Yes, and?

both morphed and unmorphed he was a badass. i mean unmorphed tommy kicked a t-rex in the fucking face. and he fucking blew on a flute and a fucking badass zord showed up.

>fucking hate Tommy
>read the Boom comics
>start caring about Tommy and the shit he deals with in that

Those comics are fucking magic.

Citing "edgy" for being a reason he's popular doesn't make sense, because he stops being so right after his introduction

Designs stands out from the others, initially stronger than the entire rest of the team put together, had his own Megazord...

And when he became an ally, although aside from a single episode they always had to resort to lame "he's late/he can't transform" plot devices, it meant he wasn't weakened and overshadowed by red after joining the team, unlike what often happened to later 6th Rangers.

It's like insisting Dick is Robin when he hasn't been for most of his existence.

You're saying that the Power Ranger with the most experience is still edgy when he was only that for a few episodes at his introduction, when he was under mind control.

He was the new one, the evil one, and the strongest one all rolled into one. I don't like to just disregard characters as mary sues but Tommy was pushin it.

Also Zach was the best one.

Also also

He also had his own multiple themes. I don't remember any of the other MMPR rangers getting themes.

Well, that's because he overshadowed the team instead.

He was edgy as all hell it was especially potent because he was surrounded be people ho were boyscouts in comparison.

I wish they did that kind of shit more, have the rangers use each other's equipment I mean.

youtube.com/watch?v=_LjFrzVord0

>Why'd he get popular
>He was edgy
>BUT HE DIDN'T STAY EDGY!
...So?

First impressions matter, and that initial edge made him huge from the get go and gave him a character arc, which made him even MORE popular.

Saying that being edgy helped his popularity doesn't mean it defines him. Tommy wasn't in the Dragonzord for most of his run either, but you aren't bitching when I cite that.

>tfw I changed my PS4 avatar for Dragonzord
it's really MechaGodzilla zord

I've been watching MMPR on Netflix recently and man, it nosedives so hard once you know Jason, Zack and Trini are leaving with all of the spliced in old footage of them and shitty voice doubles.

Yeah but if you say Dragon you don't get sued.

>That oyster monster

>First impressions matter
Going just by that, kids would hate him because he was villain.

I don't know if it'll ever get adapted, but ToQger does shit like that. But for them to do it, they also have to switch colors.

I had tried getting into MMPR a few years ago with my Netflix account because when I was a kid I missed entirely MMPR since I didn't have cable. But Bullk and Skull ruins every episodes and I can't watch them mainly because of them. But then an old Sup Forums thread made me introduce into Kamen Rider W and I got into it way more easily.

Depends on the level of Charisma and skill. Akin to why Char Aznable and Red Goes Fast persist.

They already skipped ToQger in favor of Ninninger/Ninja Steel.

And that's already shown to be a mistake.

>The only fighter capable of matching Jason, the best in-universe martial artist in the original season of MMPR
>He was darker and edgier at the beginning, he was more of a loner and came only when the other Rangers needed him.
>Who the hell needs to share a Megazord when you have your own Dragonzord?
>Dragon Dagger and Gold Shield... do I need to say more?
>Last but not least, he's the freaking trope namer of the Sixth Ranger trope!

That sucks, ToQger is awesome.

Why was he popular is easy.
He was the shiny new toy and a cool new villain.
He was the first villain who forced the rangers to use the zords BEFORE anything. Tommy was just flat out badass.

The real question is why he is STILL so popular when white exists.

Green with Evil was the only point the the franchise Green was actually strong. After that, he was a yamcha tier jobber. He'd get shat on every 5 minutes, he'd have to give his powers and Zord to other rangers because he'd get curb stomped otherwise.

White was a much better ranger for far longer but doesn't get half as much praise as Green does

Tell that to Saban, not us...

Can't really blame them, honestly. Moonland has a strange appreciation for trains that isn't really found in the rest of the world outside of Thomas stuff. Unlike dinosaurs or ninjas it doesn't really have universal appeal.

maaaan it's doodoo desu

While true, Ninja Steel's done jack shit with the ninja motif. The intergalactic game show aspect's the one thing it has going for it.

to be fair it's only awesome because it was written by based kobayashi and that wouldn't really translate to an adaptation

dragonzord was op as fuck
that thing soloed the megazord on at least two occasions

It's because they rely on them so much.
Where, in America trains are limited to city limits or otherwise a niche form of travel due to the distances traveled or otherwise relegated nearly exclusively to cargo, Japan has shorter distances and faster trains.

And then jobbed in every future appearance unless Megazord was around to lend a hand.

Squirting oyster monster.

Japan knows what it's about.

> #
>It's like insisting Dick is Robin when he hasn't been for most of his existence.
He has been for more than half his existence

Wait... didn't zordon want edgy teens to be power rangers?

>seriously almost bought this shit on impulse just because the dragonzord was that one toy I wanted the most as a kid that I never got and the proper figures run hundreds of dollars

I talked myself out of it but damn.

He wanted "Teenagers with Attitude". Apparently he meant a good attitude though.

Oh thank god I thought I was the only one. Same reason, too. That was the only one I never got. I still remember having to use my godzilla as a stand in.

he just wanted teens for some reason

Good, you'd be much more satisfied with the actual Dragonzord. And the Legacy versions don't run much more than a hundred, if that much.
Now, the Black & Gold versions will definitely cost more than a hundred, but still not much more.

Unless you mean a full set, that is.

the real reason in the red, black, and yellow ranger left in the second season over pay disputes so they needed a cool tough guy leader. the new red wouldnt cut it but he was a budget guy. green was a martial arts enthusiast who was just happy to be there, so they made him the 'leader'

the dagger flute was awesome and I have the tune as my text alert cus im gay

He had the coolest costume
He had the best zord
He had his own theme song
He kicked the entire team's ass 5 on 1
He got the most screentime once he joined the team
He hooked up with Kimberly

In a lot of ways, he was the only one of the 6 who was even a character. Like Trini has ONE episode about her ever and other than that, she just...shows up.

>He hooked up with Kimberly
Yeah, until she went to that Peace Conference and sent him a Dear John Letter.
Then he hooked up with Kat.
And I'm convinced he was boinking the chick he worked with in Dino Thunder.

Jason, Trini, and Zack was the Peace Conference.

Kim went to study gymnastics with an olympic coach or some shit.

Still, two and a half seasons. And aren't they still the only fucking couple in any season to kiss onscreen?

Why did Kimberly go to the peace conference again? Did they secret that she was a power ranger get out and they thought having one of the Earth's defenders there would send a good message or was it unrelated to her being a ranger?

Are you sure Red and Pink in Time Force didn't kiss?

I don't remember, my natural instinct is just to assume the producers are pussies.

>Kimberly
But she was boring shit.
Trini and Kat were superior.

The ones that went to the Peace Conference figured they couldn't pass up the chance, and being a Power Ranger would make it impossible.

It's an odd set of priorities, but I guess they figured they could do more good there than fighting an intergalactic war against evil, when they could get replacements.

Arguing the Watsonian, of course.

1. He was not one of the original rangers. They had heavily established there being five different colors of power rangers and then suddenly a new one appears in a completely different color. That made everyone excited for him.

2. He started out as a bad guy which makes him edgy. Even though he turned completely good at the end of his intro story arc, people like to imagine him as being some kind of anti-hero after that, simply because he started out as a villain.

3. A dragon is a mythical creature, which makes it more interesting to kids than a dinosaur.

Why didn't they used the original cast for the recent film?

youtube.com/watch?v=oeyfzEyJw_4

>Liking anything about Kat ever

She's what finally drove me to lose interest in the show as a kid, but I guess one man's trash is another man's waifu.

Because rebooting is so much easier. Though, I'd love a "20 Years Later" special.

Any Green/White Ranger comics?

None of them can pull of the teenager look any more.

Trini's dead and Jason's fat.

Because Yellow is dead, Blue is still pissed at Saban, Red is busy being an EMT, and I don't have a good reason for Black or Pink.

Also they're pushing 50 at least.

Hasn't it been closer to 30 years though?

The recent Boom comics focus on Tommy, and shit has gotten crazy in the last issue.

24 years this year since MMPR started, so a reunion special would be a 25 years later special.
Where the fuck has the time gone?

Almost 25

He was the rebel who did not fit into the group, and he was also more badass and powerful than all of them combined. He had a unique suit, unique weapons, and commanded Mechagodzilla with a flute. He could kick the asses of all the other rangers combined, and the dragonzord was on par with the Megazord iirc.

>regular boring power ranger team
>vs mysterious special outsider ranger with special armor and cool special mech
gee i wonder

>I don't have a good reason for Black or Pink.

Walter Emanuel Jones gives dancing lessons now last I heard, but he still shows up at cons I believe. So he has nothing against the show.

Amy Jo Johnson I've always heard saw it as a disgrace on her acting career and does not even want to think about it. But I've never heard an actual source on this rumor so it could very easily be bullshit. Either way since her "career" seems to just be Power Rangers, some Canadian show, and one movie that's only known for showing the Pink Ranger's tits she'd probably show up just for the check.

>mfw Billy was JUST a white belt in the first few episodes
like the fuck? Billy can't fight for shit.

>Blue is still pissed at Saban

Can't really blame Yost after all the shit he got from the development staff for being gay. Also wasn't he constantly being antagonized by JDF? I wonder how was his relationship with other actors.

You'd think that if Amy Jo really thought the show was bad for her rep, she wouldn't have come back for that cameo in the Turbo movie.

I heard she did a con recently, maybe her first one, I dunno. So maybe she went through a phase where she wanted to be taken seriously, realized it was going nowhere, and got over it.

Why is anything so popular? It just happened to hit the right people at the right time. Fucking Dino Charge was somehow so popular in Korea that they ordered a new season instead of continuing on to Ninja Steel.

>Also wasn't he constantly being antagonized by JDF?

The way I always heard it, JDF was just obnoxious and liked to prank everybody and act immature on the set. Maybe Yost was the most annoyed by it.

>Also wasn't he constantly being antagonized by JDF?

That's what he says. But I think everyone else says he was an asshole to everyone to. But no one has any idea who was an ass first and started the whole mess so I just blame everyone involved.

I think she got the attitude after the Turbo movie. Or so the story goes. But getting over it like you said seems likely as well.

Dragonzord looked the best, and it did not care about the color coordination either. It was 90% black with some green parts here and there.

But as the loner he actualy got to be somewhat independent and do his own thing. The other 4 rangers were all basically sidekicks of Red and just imitated everything he did and said al the time. Tommy was that other guy who actually did not stand in the background and move with them.

Plus he broke from the dress code, he had gold parts, some black parts, and stuff on his costume.

Dragonzord was easily the most powerful single zord. None of the other ever got to shine on their own like that.

and Green is to busy being a Jesus freak MMA fighter

He'd come back in a second and you know it.

Too bad he's only ever put against older, fat guys that are way passed their prime or guys that were so bad they never had a prime in the first place. That ass is still riding the fucking Power Rangers train for most of his income I bet.

>Black guy gets jizzed by monster

>Kek'd at "Tommy help !!"

>Tommy takes the jizz for teh black guy despite giving the black guy shield

billy the "I literally just can not stop sucking cock" blue ranger

he tells a story that nobody else corroborates

He's the rival.

The Vegata to Red Ranger's Goku.

I mean, hell, he's even updated his suit, for some reason.

>have the rangers use each other's equipment I mean.

It was all upto the japanese shows for the acton, americans just dubbed and did the acting

>So maybe she went through a phase where she wanted to be taken seriously, realized it was going nowhere, and got over it.

It happens.

The suit he wore for the youtube video, where he fought Ryu from Street Fighter?

This is not Sup Forums related fuck off

>implying kids hate villains
Villains were always cool as shit. Robby Rotten, Mechagodzilla, Destoroyah, Green Ranger, Hades, Bowser, Wario and Waluigi. All kinds of kids i grew up with liked villains

There. Now it is. :3