What are some unintentional period pieces from the late 00s...

What are some unintentional period pieces from the late 00s? How long til we start seeing 00s nostalgia everywhere the way 80s shit is everywhere now?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wCF3ywukQYA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_the_'80s_(U.S._TV_series)
youtube.com/watch?v=TIy3n2b7V9k
youtube.com/watch?v=DhVsjz2J5Gk
youtube.com/watch?v=HTvu1Yr3Ohk
youtube.com/watch?v=xGDothf6iak
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

80's nostalgia has been a thing since the internet rose to widespread use, probably around the year 2000 or so.

Considering the fact that it's almost 20 years later, you really need to consider what is real 80s nostalgia, and what is actually nostalgia for the 80's nostalgia of the early 2000s.

No one wants to remember the 00s.

this. They fuckin sucked m8

The 80s were unique
The 90s were....unique
The early 2000s was completely forgettable.

Malcolm in the Middle (the music and general look of everything), The Office US (references to viral videos and other current events)

The 2000s were basically the 90s until 9/11.

Mean Girls is pretty on point as far as 00's goes.

The 00's are defined by being post-9/11. I don't know if that makes them interesting, but they're distinctive and certainly not forgettable

Weeds, Skins, Superbad

The OC and 24 will be remembered as quintessential 00's

you won't see 00s nostalgia. There wasn't a cohesive culture. it's a mess. Everything was cohesive up until the 90s and the 90s was cohesive enough to still be a thing. Early 2000s has some nostalgia but there's no real "theme" without digging. After that, there's nothing really. There's no cohesive fad besides social justice.

>you won't see 00s nostalgia

I would hold off on saying that until the generation that was actually children for the majority of the decade starts having its own nostalgia. Hell most people in their 20's are nostalgic for "90's culture" when most of the shit they're nostalgic for actually took place predominantly in the early 00's

The Colbert Report

youtube.com/watch?v=wCF3ywukQYA

Hipster fashion was even worse than I remember.

>but there's no real "theme"
Decades don't actually have themes. The division between decades is just as arbitrary as the division between "generations"

>dude nothing means anything let's just smoke weed
Which reminds me, the mid to late 00s were defined pretty well by the rise and prominence of shitty Seth Rogan movies.

That's what you think but people who are children now will think it was a golden age after they grow up. If youtube is still around in the future, you'll be able to see intros from shitty tv shows from the 00s and look at the comments. I guarantee they'll be like "They don't make shows like this anymore"

>this. They fuckin sucked m8

The 80's probably sucked to those who lived through it and were just removed. You don't have the perspective yet.

Twenty years from now, the emulation will happen. 70's styles came back in the 90's.

Late 00s was just the same as today but with worse cell phones.

Scary Movie, and basically any comedy of that time because it was before super PC kicked in.

Exactly. During the 90s I never thought there would be 90s nostalgia. I always thought the 90s didn't have anything special. I could remember things from other eras like greasers or hippies or bell bottoms. I would always think "What does the 90s have?" Just like people in this thread are saying about the 00s.

>people saying no one will be nostalgic over the 2000's
>on Sup Forums of all boards
This place literally has 2000's nostalgia threads once a week.

>I guarantee they'll be like "They don't make shows like this anymore"

Already exists for music. Look up any Sum 41 or Good Charlotte, full of 12 year old le wrong generation kiddies.

How could you have the entire grunge era in the 90's and not think there would be something distinctive to look back on?

Because "wearing a flannel shirt and talking about moving to seattle" doesn't really seem like the kind of fad that defines an entire generation?

>you really need to consider what is real 80s nostalgia, and what is actually nostalgia for the 80's nostalgia of the early 2000s.

Yep, 90% of Neo-80s stuff isn't actually nostalgia for the 80s, it's nostalgia for a 00s idea of what the 80s were.

The real 80s actually fucking sucked and had terrible fashion and design.

90s is a bit interesting because you get the rise of rave culture and electronic music, along with the rebirth of rock with Grunge, Psychedelic, Progressive and Acid Rock when 80s rock was notably pretty shit. 90s had terribad films though in general.

Only good thing about the 80s really are the movies. It was a fantastic era for hollywood filmmaking.

00s actually had good film franchises (Lord of the Rings) but had pretty lame music past like 02. 00s were dominated by shit pop-punk, pop-emo and crap RnB groups. I don't even know if the 00s really have any sort of aesthetic though. 70s, 80s and 90s all have a unique aesthetic to those decades.

kek

Those "pop-punk", "pop-emo" and "crap RnB" are actually what make me nostalgic for the early 2000's (which is when I was growing up. To me they are very recognisably early 2000's, just like the previous decades had their own recognisable music (which let's not pretend was never bad).

In 20 years or so when Millenials grow up to have families and can actually spend money on movies.

Mark my words in the mid 2040s-50s we'll have movies about "the golden age of internet and pokemon and iphones and acutally havin 2 genders" and what not

Fun reminder. "I love the 80s" came out in 2002.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Love_the_'80s_(U.S._TV_series)

Fucking marketers are just taking bits and pieces of pop culture, regurgitating them back at us, and then pretending we all remember it.

>HAHAHA DUDE REMEMBER "FRANKIE SAYS RELAX" TSHIRTS HAHAHA

To be honest I wasn't into grunge and I didn't think it anyone would give a shit about it. i didn't think it would leave an impression. Just like you probably think about whatever people will think is significant about the 00s.

Just imagine 20-30 years from now someone will be talking about how distinctive dabbing or some stupid shit is.

Got any examples of artists that stand out as difinitive of the era?

>"pop-punk", "pop-emo"

Oh god. That was my fad when I was in high school.
We were super into Jackass / CKY / Big Brother, and a bunch of emo-ish bands like My Chemical Romance and HIM

>Just imagine 20-30 years from now someone will be talking about how distinctive dabbing or some stupid shit is.

This.

90% of nostalgia is manufactured.

Paramore and Green Day instantly come to mind as extremely early-mid 2000's (both happened to be pretty good though, at the time).

Green Day belongs to the 90s.

Their most well known album came out in 2003.

CALIFORNIA

NOW I KNOW YOU BE LOVIN THIS SHIT RIGHT HERE
L I M P
BIZKIT IS RIGHT HERE

80s nostalgia came in the early-2010s
90s nostalgia is starting in the late-2010s
We'll get 2000s nostalgia in the early-2020s

>hapa fedoralords still get triggered by arbitrary concepts being called arbitrary

Fuck off with your post-modernism soyboy

COME MY LADY
COME COME MY LADY
BE MY BUTTERFLY
SUGAR
BABY.

They had a huge resurgence in popularity with American Idiot, though. blink-182 started in the 90s but are very much a 00s band. Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco etc are other similar 00s bands

Linkin Park, Avril Lavigne, Nelly Furtado

September 21, 2004
That's almost 2005

As I do in all of these threads when people say there was nothing distinctive about the 00's, here's a list of things that will be remembered as quintessentially 00's

>last of the pre-smart phones (Nokia and Motorola)
>iPods
>MySpace
>Napster/Limewire/Kazaa
>DVD players
>Crocs
>ugg boots
>puka shell necklaces
>highlighted hair
>Hollister
>reality TV, particularly talent competitions (was never as big a deal before, hasn't been as big a deal since)
>Harry Potter
>emo/scene culture
>post-grunge buttrock (Nickelback, Theory of a Deadman, etc)
>post 9/11 patriotism, United We Stand bumper stickers
>Bush hate

Just a few things off the top of my head

SOMEBODY ONCE TOLD ME
THE WORLD WAS GONNA ROLL ME
I AINT THE SHARPEST TOOL IN THE SHED

The song of a generation.

I already get nostalgic about all of Timbaland's hits from the period

youtube.com/watch?v=TIy3n2b7V9k

>tfw Panic at the Disco literally got referenced in Bojack Horseman flashback scene
I mean, I listened to it as a 16/17 year old, but was it really that popular that media could reference it 10 years later?

Also I suspect Emo and Goth will be mentioned in the future, along with the start of the modern internet, Harry Potter, re-rise of capeshit (Heroes for example) and shit, from the 00's. Dawn of the social media era.

>was it really that popular that media could reference it 10 years later?
yes

Capeshit as we know it is a 10s thing I feel, I mean we had a few movies in the 00s but it never really felt like the cultural force it is now until the hype leading up to the avengers

Remember the good old days when you were a young and naive kid, and you thought "angry" music from the 1990s and 2000s was all about fighting "the system" and tearing down society... and you didn't realize that the music was really about how they are all just angry that they got fucked in the butt by their dads?

Pimp my Ride
The Mighty Boosh
BSG
Be Kind Rewind

The 00's was a really weird time, first 9/11, the War on Terror, things settled for a few years and then the massive financial crash.
To me the 00's started with 9/11 and sort of ended when Obama was elected

I'm 25 and I still kindaironically listen to Panic occasionally. But they only had one song go mainstream so they'll be remembered as one of the big one hit wonders

WHOA OH OH OH OH MONA LISA I'D PAY TO SEE YOU FROWN

i listen to that one every now and then, i actually only heard it for the first time like last year though so it's not even nostalgia for me, it's just good

That and the Nine in the Afternoon album are both guilty pleasures for me

pretty much. It's been an un-delineated smooshed up mess for a while now.

spoken like someone no cultural awareness

>Bourne Identity
>Sopranos
>White Stripes
>Strokes, Interpol, Yeah Yeah Yeahs
>Jenna Haze, Aurora Snow,

Wrong. That's when "indie" came into the mainstream. Everything was trying to be authentic, organic, stripped down, genuine, honest, etc.

You only believe this because you haven't had the decade marketed towards you in the same way as the 60s-90s, yet. It will happen in time - all the given identities are retrospective, they'll come up with something, then in 20 years we'll be saying the same shit about the 2030s

>lists only white shit

This is why we won't see it. And if they tried to pander to Latinos and blacks it would be cringey & corney as fuck.

Demographics changed. Media changed. There is no more "us"

Oh and who could forget all the vidya. Gamecube/Wii, PS2, Xbox, GTA, Halo, WoW, Cowadooty, Guitar Hero, etc

>How could you have the entire grunge era in the 90's and not think there would be something distinctive to look back on?
Is this some sort of a joke comment?

>the 2000s were the 90s until 2001

obviously

itt: retards who think nothing can get better or worse overtime, it's like all in your head man

its always sunny in philadelphia

>The real 80s actually fucking sucked and had terrible fashion and design.

Spoken like a true faggot.

The 90's was a stylistic disaster.

>>MySpace
>>Napster/Limewire/Kazaa

ok you activated my nostalgia

sad thing is Timbaland stole most of his popular beats from obscure foreign artists.

>reality TV, particularly talent competitions (was never as big a deal before, hasn't been as big a deal since)

Nigger, what? Talent shows are still big, and I'm pretty sure "Star Search" existed before American Idol.

>iPods
>DVD players
>Crocs
>ugg boots

All still around. Face it. The last 17 years have been pretty stagnant aside from incremental technological developments.

technology is ruining things and will get even worse with automation/AI.

>(was never as big a deal before, hasn't been as big a deal since)

Reading comprehension nigga. No current talent competitions come anywhere close to how big American Idol was at its peak. Reality TV was just a much bigger cultural phenomenon back then in general, nowadays the biggest reality show on television is on the fucking E! Network.

I can't recall the last time I saw an iPod but I guess I'll take your word for it?

Blu Ray players are already old news so I don't know who you think is still buying DVD players

Can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing Crocs

Uggs the brand might still be around but the big furry boots that everyone remembers really aren't

And I'm not fucking saying all those things disappeared on January 1, 2010, I'm saying that all of those things were massive in the 00's and they've either gone extinct or lost virtually all of their relevance since then

>Blu Ray players are already old news so I don't know who you think is still buying DVD players

Every department store still has them, faggot.

>Uggs the brand might still be around but the big furry boots that everyone remembers really aren't

Yes they are.

Nothing you mentioned is significant enough to be considered definitive of a particular time.

Oldfag, here...I was a teen in the 80s. AMA.

That good shit.

>demotivational posters, webcomics, bootcut jeans and youtubers proto-shilling obama

does anybody else really not want this?

youtube.com/watch?v=DhVsjz2J5Gk

The '00's just don't have a "feel" that I can recall.

this wasn't supposed to be a documentary...

Mate have you seen the fashion from that period? It's anything but forgettable. I can't if I tried.

>but had pretty lame music past like 02
*blocks your path*
youtube.com/watch?v=HTvu1Yr3Ohk

The early 90s have a 'feel', but the late 90s... all I can recall is the terrible music (rap-rock, pop-punk, post-grunge...)

Everything was great until 9/11, then everything was alrigh until 2007/2008, then everything went to shit with the stock market crash.

There's been no real drastic changes between the 00's and the 10's.

Late 2000's (2008 onward) maybe, the introduction of smartphones and facebook had a huge effect on society from that point on.

has there ever been a movie character who made extra money selling burned dvds for five bucks a pop?

They said the same thing about the 90s till about 2005/6

People were already obsessed with phones before then.

The "naughts" started on 9/11 and ended with the 2008 crash. Of the Bush years what stands out is failed wars, and everyone seems to have totally forgotten about that clusterfuck.

I thought Boyhood worked way better as a 2000's period piece than whatever it was going for

Having grown up in the 80s, I always have to laugh at current films not having the guts to replicate the actual hairstyles and clothing that teens actually wore back then. What you wind up with are a few token aesthetic nods to that era with the edges smoothed-out to basically resemble what we find pleasing to look at today.

True but it wasn't connected with social media at that point until the iPhone came out along with Facebook going past colleges.

I just remembered there was a time when I thought the iPad would be a huge flop.

I fucking hate this, why can't they get down the look right?
I mean Hollywood fucking created it in the first place.

>>strokes and Yeah Yeah Yeahs
favorite bands then and one of my favorites today

youtube.com/watch?v=xGDothf6iak

Kevin Conroy, you've aged well, you handsome devil.