In the X-Men, the last 3 cases of character assassination were Bishop (became unusable, is in Limbo)...

In the X-Men, the last 3 cases of character assassination were Bishop (became unusable, is in Limbo), Scott (it failed but they decided to kill him and replace him with his younger bitch version), and now Emma (we will know this wednesday what happens to her, perhaps she dies and they bury her together with Cyclops).

Has DC had character assassinations after Emerald Twilight?

I don't see how this is character assassination for her. Even Cyclops wasn't character assassination considering they showed that all the "literally Hitler" stuff was just Medusa pulling some FAKE NEWS shit.

Bishop was egregious character assassination on an unprecedented scale though.

I really can't tell if they want people to be shocked and disgusted by things like that.
I read that page and just thought "fuck yeah, go kill some inhumans, tit girl."

Identity
Crisis

The fact that they even acknowledged all the bullshit the Inhumans have done gives me hope that no one will give Emma much shit for wanting the Royals dead. Hell Mags would for sure have her back and Cyke probably would too.

Bishop was always unstable.

He literally traveled back in time to prevent himself ever existing. When it didn't work, he spent the 90s accusing everybody of being "the traitor", and then faded into fucking obscurity.

The smartest use of him ever was as Cable's antagonist - he understands time travel, understands multiple universes, and gives 0 fucks because he's adrift in reality with the knowledge that no matter what he does, the shithole he's from will always happen, so he goes hunting instead.

It's a shame they didn't keep him as a villain.

Medusa's been making him a fucking fascist child-stealing cunt for the past 20 years? News to me.

Where was she when he went to the UN and demanded recognition for his imaginary country, or else? Straight out of the Evil Magneto playbook, because guess what: he was bumming Magneto at the time.

Emma has always been a villain. It's just suited her to acknowledge her conscience from time to time. Even Blofeld had a cat.

She doesn't give a shit about any of that, she just wants to be a literal queen. To her the Inhumans aren't going too far in their actions, just in picking a fight with her minions.

>Emma
>character assassination
user please, that woman was always one push away from going back to full villain. Cyclops dick kept her in check

>this entire post
I don't even know where to begin. Do you not even read comics or do you lack just the most basic ability to understand characterization?

They are not gonna kill Emma, user.
But Scott returning... unless he comes back hitching a ride with Phoenix Jean, I dont see it happening soon. Something similar to Xavier, Marvelcucks think they have done everything they could with him, so he is more useful "as an idea", than alive.

>When it didn't work, he spent the 90s accusing everybody of being "the traitor"

No, that stopped during Onslaught, when it turned out Xavier was the traitor all along.

That's dumb. Whoever wrote that story is dumb.

well, Onslaught is considered one of the worst events ever, but it did tell us the traitor was Xavier, and also that Xavier still wanted to fuck Jean.

>the last 3 cases of character assassination were Bishop
Really? Beast and Storm didn't qualify?
Shit list desu senpai.

Beast was such a slow burn no one realized what was happening until it was too late.

And it's STILL a better evil Xavier story than any of the garbage that came after it.

the Cassandra Nova story arc of Morrison was great.

Agreed, since she grew up to be an X-Man.

Too many X-Men writers don't realize Beast, because of his appearance, is the most social and tolerant X-Man.

Hey someone who's been away from Marvel for years
My understanding is that theyre trying to kill interest in the X-Men for the Inhumans because Fox wont give up the rights, yeah?

Inhumans are bombing and the fox relationship is improving so its not so cut and dry anymore. Its more likely marvel just has practically zero writing talent under contract.

I miss Avengers Beast. He was the best.

Pretty much. It really has more to do with Twentieth Century Fox owns the rights to the original Star Wars trilogy, while everything else is owned by Disney.

Fox and Disney have a long and antagonistic corporate relationship.

Since Fox won't give up the rights to Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi, Marvel has decided not to promote the X-Men comics anymore in retaliation.

also

marvel's head dude is infamously cheap and doesn't want to give "Free advertising" to movies/products that don't make marvel so much money (vs stuff they outright own like Avengers)

Jesus Christ what a mess, not like X-Men didn't struggle from bad stories and iffy continuity in the first place
I would hope so user, because the Inhumans interest me less than most of Marvel does and even that is falling with time

Morrison, Ellis, Gillen, and Huston wrote wonderful, fun versions of the character. Sadly, the comics I am citing were ancillary titles, and did not gain the readership numbers that Uncanny X-Men and X-Force received.

beast looks hot as fuck

The most egregious one was Cassandra Cain, even more so because they kept digging up the corpse and violating it.

If I recall they also turned Jade into a cheating slut and had some villains that had gone straight randomly turn evil again for an event.

Does Darkest Night count when a bunch of characters got brought back as murderous zombies?

>character assassination
>of Emma "Who Gives A Shit Why Is She Even Important" Frost

Easily the worst legacy character they ever brought back. I'm not sure which fuck at Marvel had a boner for this shitty character such that they were willing to drag up an old villain and turn her into a main character, but they should've been fired on the spot for it.

The only thing I care about Emma are her million dollar "fake" boobs.

you forgot beast

Maybe Martian Manhunter being a cold wildcard in the JLA, but that's probably just DCAU not muh fags being loud about shit they don't know.

He said latest though, Marvel has been shitting on Beast for like, ten years. Totally forgot about Bobby though.

>talk about recent X-Men character assassination
>not mention Bobby

Se had a direct line from villain reformed teacher to moving with the main squad

Has he even done anything outside of "have I mentioned I am homosexual today"? Probably the worst offender of writers having no what to do with him in relationship to his prominence, probably followed by Rachel.

>Has DC had character assassinations after Emerald Twilight?

Arguably, Max Lord (in Countdown to Infinite Crisis), Superboy-Prime (I mean he's an interesting character as a raging fanboy, but go back and read the old comics and see that he wasn't intended to be like that), various characters in Identity Crisis, and some others I can't think of right now.

Don't listen to He's a fucking idiot

It has more to do with Fox having a cut of merchandise money whenever X-Men movie merchandise is made, plus their deliberately putting in Quicksilver in X-Men when they knew Marvel had plans for Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the Avengers.

Despite Rebirth happening, let's not forget Nu52, specially since it's "not a reboot" anymore.
Harley is an example of character assassination there.

>Bishop (became unusable, is in Limbo)
Even worse, they had a chance to redeem him with some kind of retcon (it was the Demon Bear posessing him!) but they blew it.
The only way to fix Bishop at this point would be to reveal that the Bishop we've seen since Messiah Complex was a different Bishop from a different timeline (which would also fix the plot hole caused by suddenly changing Bishop's backstory of coming from a future where Onslaught ruined everything to one where Hope ruined everything), and have the original Bishop come back all horrified, the fake Bishop had left him stranded in another dimension.

>all the "literally Hitler" stuff was just Medusa pulling some FAKE NEWS shit.
It wasn't Medusa though, that's just Havok's theory. Since when does the media in the MU need somebody to tell them to shit on mutants? They do that by themselves all the time.

That's merely business rivalry. The Star Wars franchise debacle is the real reason. Marvel/Disney's comic department is kept going because the Star Wars comics sell fast. Other Marvel comics are bleeding readers. Marvel have many books selling at cancellation figures.

There's a newspaper in MU called Inhuwars. It published the "Cyclops=Hitler" article, and, presumably, started that meme. Oh, and that battleship that Inhumans used to protect the cloud? It was captained by a mindcontroller.

It would have been nice if that information was included in the story.

Swain being a mindcontroller was ANAD Inhu #3 or #4

Ah, that's why I never read it. I don't even read that comic when it's story timed.

It's in one of the X-Men tie-ins. Or Maybe Deadpool.

>which would also fix the plot hole caused by suddenly changing Bishop's backstory of coming from a future where Onslaught ruined everything to one where Hope ruined everything
To be fair, I thought to myself it made sense, since the Onslaught future had been stopped, that his backstory changed.

That's not how it works. Old Man Logan, Rachel Grey and Cable's backstories never changed even though their futures are now impossible. Alternate timelines are a thing.

He's done nothing under Lemire and talked for one panel in IvX and appeared in the background icesliding

Time travel's a mess. Has Cable's future really been avoided, though? Apocalypse keeps coming back from time to time, and he mentioned Hope was part of his future's past.

I'm not familiar with Old Man Logan, but I think I read that his future in Battleworld was a bit different from millar's extra-edgy-vision-future.

It's Marvel canon that unless you're using one of Doom's time machines, traveling in time doesn't actually change the future, it just turns yours into an alternate one.

Yeah, I've read that X-Factor run, but if I recall, Reed mentioned once that minor events don't always cause new futures, the timeline just flows with them.

I'd say that preventing Onslaught from fucking the world isn't a minor event.

>mind controller
Technically, an empath.

but Beast and Simon are into Jazz mostly

Emma is the best if the entire X-men franchise though. She does what she needs to do to protect the children, she doesn't give a fuck about how it makes her look or anyone elses opinion of her. She is also the most honest telepath cause she acknowledges when she steps over the line.