This was pretty good, and the CGI held up well. It did all the video game elements they way they should be done...

This was pretty good, and the CGI held up well. It did all the video game elements they way they should be done, and not in a "wink wink" way at all.

How was the sequel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CfEnsMWYisI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Trash, pretend only this one exists.

The movie was a shitty mess story-wise. It took a big fat ugly turd on the video game AND it is shallow, predictable, and full of plot-holes even as it's own movie. And that's all without even mentioning shit like "Pyramid Head" being in the movie. The only, ONLY good thing this movie has is the CGI, which I will admit is nice.

The sequel is 10 times worse than what I described in every way.
If you want a good, in-depth critique of the film I'd suggest watching the video review by the youtube channel TwinPerfect. Trust me, they know what they are talking about.

I mean the movie shit itself towards the end, and overall it felt like three different directors were each allowed to direct a third of the movie.

le spooky demon child was a very poor way to explain something that did not need to be explained.

The siren moments were great aesthetically

It gave us Jodelle. 10/10 would watch again

It did what so many bad horror movies do, over-explain the narrative to you. So much of what makes a good horror film is the fear of the unknown. Good directors embrace this. We didn't need all those cheesy flashbacks with some toddler explaining the back story to you. It would have been much more terrifying if we were following this character into some hell-like purgatory with little reason given for the things she was seeing (aside from contextual plot elements. Bread crumbs are okay).

>over-explain the narrative
>American movies

pick both

What do you mean story-wise? Also what plot-holes?

I watched part of this review and it is just as reddit-tier as I imagined it.

>why didn't they develop black lung from living on burning coal
>why did she take her to the town rather than to a psychiatrist

This is just autistic nitpicking, not really legitimate criticism.

Yeah, TwinPerfect did the same autistic nitpicking when they compared Let The Right One In to Let Me In. I prefer the original but most of their """"critique"""" of LMI was bullshit.

it was funny that in the sequel there were plenty of oportunities for sean bean to die but he didnt.

>le ebin tweeest

This is how you know Sup Forums is full of retards. Literally exact opposite points but still trying to say the movie is bad.

>short haired policewoman being tortured
I need more nudity with thid

>I need more nudity with thid
Thids are pretty rare these days, are you sure?

A lot of it was costume/prosthetics, which is why the humanoid monsters still look good.

This

Watched it recently and just tuned out at the end. The only reason I stuck around was to see if Sean Bean would die.

I guess he died on the inside? I know I did.

Silent Hill is all about mood, this movie gets the move right for better or worse

And there's this lonely retard who has no opinion.

The first Silent Hill movie is probably the best adaptation of a video game so far. While that isn't exactly a huge accomplishment, it at least does justice to the series and works as a standard-to-enjoyable horror flick.

The sequel is just irredeemable garbage.

Mortal Kombat > Silent Hill > Resident Evil > Street Fighter > POWER GAP > dogshit > the rest

>it at least does justice to the series
not really, the story has nothing to do with the games and you can tell they just watched some footage for some inspiration.
It's visuals are great and it's good for a video game movie but that is not saying much.

i havent played video games since the early 90s, but i have friends that do, and isnt this the series where a dog in a ufo was controlling everything?
i did enjoy the first silent hill movie for being a video game adaption movie.
mario bros. the movie is underrated kino

That's SH 2 and that's just one of the endings

UFO endings are jokes and not considered canon but are somewhat or a tradition.
The dog ending is in SH2 and likewise is a joke ending.

>multiple endings
is that a standard thing in games? like if you make different decisions you get a different ending, kind of like those adventure book from elementary school?
that actually sounds kind of neat, wish my mom hadnt been a crazy religious freak and banned video games when i was growing up

>people still defending the silent hill movie despite it shitting all over the series from a lore point
All they had to do was copy the story from either 1 or 2 but nope they just had to make an original do no steal story

T
H
I
S

It's fairly common but rarely used properly or in an interesting way.

Get resident evil off this list before i fucking murder you.
That is not a good adaption by any standards

>is that a standard thing in games?
it varies a lot.
sometimes an ending can be like an adventure book where you go down different paths, sometimes it's more of a cumulative set of outcomes based on what your character did, sometimes it's either GOOD, NEUTRAL, BAD and sometimes there aren't any alternative endings.

Silent Hill generally bases your ending on how you play the game, and some endings are more subjectively good or bad.
For instance some are bittersweet and more poetic than the "good" ending so people really enjoy experiencing all the endings on multiple playthroughs.

The endings in SH games are often not based on any conscious action by the player either, so you'd need to look up a guide to know how to get one. For example in one game how often you heal yourself influences the ending you get.

Count the times someone calls out for Sharon

Is that important though?
The atmosphere and otherworldliness are there.
The sense of being engulfed by a personal hell... that is important.
And some of the monsters are great. Yes the nurses are """sexy""" for no reason compared to the meaning of the game, but visually the scene is amazing, as is the Pyramid Head (that makes more sense because there was a rape in the background).

It didn't do the atmosphere justice, the cult was too over the top and turning them into witch burners defeats the entire point as does making Alessa a bad guy.
Flash backs are handled terribly and cut through any atmosphere that may have been building.

There are certain scenes that are brilliantly shot and the atmosphere does get a chance to build, the visuals are definitely on point.
But without any structure in terms of story and characters it's just pointless.

SH isn't a good adaptation either.
But both SH and RE are fun movies.

Perfect list desu just add Dead or Alive before street fighter
this guy is retarded the first resident evil is fine I would maybe put it below street fighter since its so comfy that chun li street fighter movie on the other hand was pure trash
youtu.be/CfEnsMWYisI

But I love Heather. I want to put my arms around her and feel her warmth.

>shitting all over it
did you even watch the movie? did gender swapping just ruin it for you?
check

Is Alessa a true bad guy? Is more of an anti-hero I'd say.
I admit that when the reveal is ongoing the movie become clunkier.
As a curiosity, why you think the cult is OOT?

>and isnt this the series where a dog in a ufo was controlling everything?
Unlockable easter egg ending. Not canon.

>i havent played video games since the early 90s
You missed the fuck out. While I'm an oldfag myself and skip 99% of the trash that they call video games these days, there are a few gems released here and there once in a blue moon.

I strongly suggest you playing Silent Hill 1 and although the voice acting is absolute hilarious trash - which is just a testament for the time it was made, it has one of the best atmospheres of any game ever. I myself just recently played it around halloween for the first time and it holds up exceptionally well.
If you are interested, tell me so. Then I will dump the instructions where to get the game(s) and how to set it all up.

Also since you like to throw "kino" around, let me also suggest you pic related and Demon's Souls.

>youtu.be/CfEnsMWYisI
I love this guy. I came to know hi because of the SH video, actually.
His reviews of old Post-apocaliptic and Sword and Sorcery B-movies are awesome.

>why you think the cult is OOT?
they just made them dumb Christians who fear a child rape survivor for some reason.
And then the ending proves they were right and they should fear her, so there's that.
They're also constantly yelling and sneering at the good characters, they're like cartoon characters and it makes it hard to take it seriously.

The whole dynamic with the cult and Alessa is completely fucked up with the movie.
One of the reasons SH's story and it's red herring is so effective is because they're trying to do bad things abusing a good person and tricking you to thinking the good person is responsible for all the bad.
In the movie it's kind of the opposite, they're trying to protect themselves from demons rather than summon one. And instead of trying to do the right thing, Alessa is just going in for revenge, symaltaneously giving creedance to their madness by proving their fears true.

I know I'll get shit for complaining how it's different to the source material but I just think the whole backstory in the film even on its own is bad

this.
anyone who hasn't, play SH1, 2 and 3 in order.

>they just made them dumb Christians who fear a child rape survivor
I totally see the point but I find the game version more OOT - in a good way.
Not ememeing, but the game as a more lovercraftian tone on this regard.
I agree on the acting.

For the rest, is just a different story. They are devoured, and fear, the demon they created. It explores the duality of evil and good in every person and even the concept of faith.
I like how even if the cult is evil, the church protects them until the girl manages to find a way to enter.
I think you can totally prefer the game with good reason, but this IMHO does not make the movie story automatically bad, just different.

A very hispter-y and borderline insane italian critc, Enrico Ghezzi, in one episode of is night essays, dedicated in this cases to video games, praised immensely the use of camera angle and music in SH.
He said that was better in the VG than in many movies going out those days.
I also increased my esteem for the guy - he did show that is unbiased and not snobbish, and calls for something well executed regardless the source.

What distinction are you making between the two representations of Stella and the cult? I'm confused.

>I like how even if the cult is evil, the church protects them until the girl manages to find a way to enter.
I'd like to think that was because they believed it would protect them so it did, but I don't think they understood the source material enough to make that conscious decision, nothing else folllowed this line of reasoning.
It also didn't make any real sense why she should be able to enter the church just because she was inside lady-Harry with magic bullshit.

I don't think the cult is bad just because it's different, I just make the comparrisons because it more directly presents why the movie cult could work but doesn't.
The cult feared the girl for no real reason so they burned her to protect themselves and then that caused their retarded delusions to not be retarded delusions.

A cult that actually wants to birth a god and accidentally disfigured a girl who then causes mayhem in an attempt to stop the cult from summoning that demonic bullshit makes a lot more sense.
The motivations on both the good and evil side make sense.
who?

Someone post the webm of Pyramid Head ripping the flesh off that chick's body

Like I said I played SH1 for the first time without looking things up. So I overlooked one detail during the beginning and had to pay a gruesome price many hours later into the game by not being able to save a certain character you know who I'm talking about. I couldn't possibly have known, only in the end the game reveals through its unfolding events that there was a way.
I only got the Good- ending out of the Good +/- Bad+/- and Ufo ending.
>mfw

Will definitely replay next year for halloween and make things right.

Cybil was bad casting, also too butch.

>tfw gonna play SH right now

Rev up that emulator because I'm about to

>also too butch.
What's the problem with that? You needed a contrast with the protagonist. Often is a man that has her role, heroic sacrifice included.
Is because is not copy/pasted?