/who/ - Doctor Who General

Kill the Moon edition

Thoughts on the episode?
Reminder that in 24 hours there will be 35 days until we say goodbye:

Other urls found in this thread:

cineworld.co.uk/films/doctor-who-bbc-children-in-need-special#/buy-tickets-by-film?for-movie=ho00004981&view-mode=list
twitter.com/ryanijwilliams/status/931914469361537024
twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/931858808854532096
youtube.com/watch?v=TQH3XsQYT74
twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/931167914593484803
twitter.com/AnonBabble

cineworld.co.uk/films/doctor-who-bbc-children-in-need-special#/buy-tickets-by-film?for-movie=ho00004981&view-mode=list Uh

These episode headers are boring as fuck and you keep posting them early so you get to do them first

I enjoy them

Oh.. well I'm sorry for trying to discuss Doctor Who in the Doctor Who General.
Maybe it would be better if boardies came and started spamming how the doctor shouldn't be a female.

well we get that as well so it's doubly shit

We get it far less than we do when the OP is something provocative

How hype are you guys for Kill The Moon?

>people on GB are saying its VNA level dark
>eviscerated corpses
>spider like creatures
>12 gives Clara a "shock of her life"
>'Is the man she's trusted so long really a hero after all? Is he even her friend?'
> "This might be where you can argue that the new approach is, for the first time, seen uncluttered by any of the old approach."
>terrible dilemma
>Moffat said the ending scene in the tardis is his favorite scene in the Series
>Moffat said in DWM that Harness(writer of episode) was going to stick around 'for a long time, I promise you' implying the script is GOAT
>tumblr insult in episode

Its going to be GOATER than GOAT.

The semi-soap-opera format that RTD established, Moffat continued (and in some ways deepened) and Chibnall is almost certainly going to continue is ruining and killing the show. It means:

1. The Doctor always has to be more human -young, smiley and romantic (the NuWho audience couldn't properly accept an older, grumpier, less romantic, more alien Classic-style Doctor like 12).
2. The main companion has to be an "equal" to the Doctor even though the latter has vastly more experience, intelligence, bravery, resources etc. This overpowers the companions to a ridiculous extent, often involving deus ex machinas, retconning/vandalism of the Doctor's past and just the general undermining of the Doctor as a character and a hero.
3. ALL the main companions have to be humans from modern-day England in order for the NuWho audience to find them "relatable". No Leelas Romanas, Jamies etc. Not even a Victorian Clara.
4. Less sci-fi. An enormous focus on modern-day earth and its mundanities in order to "ground" the show. Less space travel, time travel and far fewer alien planets.
5. Awful sappy cloying sentimentality and power-of-love storylines and plot resolutions which undermine entire multi-episode stories.

I'm sure there are more but I don't want to be writing this all day. The NuWho audience is simultaneously tired of all these tropes while also refusing to accept anything else (like a mature Doctor or a companion who actually knows their place). The show will probably have to be cancelled and rebooted again in a much simpler and easier to change format like the Classic Series had in order to prosper again. It needs to stop pandering to the Coronation Street audience. Changing the Doctor's gender is just rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.

>kill the moon
>not provocative

Everyday for several months

>tfw I made this image

No regrets.

>> "This might be where you can argue that the new approach is, for the first time, seen uncluttered by any of the old approach."
always makes me laugh

I miss stumbling onto this pasta outside of /who/

Prove me wrong.

remove courtney and its a decent but flawed episode

courtney killed it

twitter.com/ryanijwilliams/status/931914469361537024

kino in the stream

its probably just the christmas special with the wrong title

Who's hyped for the Thanksgiving with Ecclescunt this year?

Isn't it only showing in the US and Australia though? Unfortunately

wot?

this

Post the pasta for

I know Christopher Eccleston. He lived in a richer area of New York at one point. I bumped into him in a sandwich shop. He was shooting the shit with the sandwich maker when I came up to give my order. I got a standard turkey on wheat with mayo and pepper jack. It was something very simple. All the while Chris was laughing to himself and pointing at me occasionally mumbling, "Is this guy serious?"

I wasn't sure why I guess he was displeased about me ordering or what I ordered. After I got my sandwich I sat down and ate while he just leaved back into the windowed meat display and watched me. When I got up to throw the trash away he stopped me and offered his hand. I was shy because I knew who he was but he introduced himself anyways. When I shook his hand the other hand came out of his pocket holding a tazer which he used on my neck. When I fell to the ground tense I soiled myself. He laughed, "This guy." And started kicking me in the face quoting Doctor Who over and over, "STUPID APE STUPID APE."

I woke up in the hospital next to a vase of broccoli labeled, "From Chris."

Now every year he shows up to my families Thanksgiving dinner, uninvited, unannounced, and just eats, laughs to himself, and then leaves. Last year he murdered my mother. I fear what hurricane Chris will bring this year...

I remember some people on GB were convinced that the poster hinted at a Mission to the Unknown recovery.

JUST A REMINDER THAT ERIC IS /ourroberts/

Finally rewatching Last Christmas. If I think of it as a non-Christmas special, it's really good. I still think it would make an incredible mid-series story - maybe taking the place of Sleep No More and replacing Santa with the Doctor and giving Clara the Doctor's role, adding towards her development of becoming the Doctor.

I feel like Extremis is what LC would be like if it was a mid-series episode. I might actually try rewriting it and adapting the Christmas elements to be non-Christmas.

TFW we never got a 9th doctor christmas special, would have been the most Scrooge christmas special

>the previous companion was the longest serving with 38 episodes despite being loathed by many
>Be Pearl Mackie
>Be instantly more likeable in your first episode than Clara was in entire series
>Be Doctor Who's best main companion since 1987
>get only only one series and 13 episodes before getting fired

JUST

/who/ should stream some of his films. Rude Awaking and The Immortals are particularly good iirc.

What did /who/ think of Eccleston in that A Word thing he done?

>despite being loathed by many
Just because you hated Clara doesn't mean everybody did user.

>before getting fired
Source?

twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/931858808854532096

These days people just like to say "fired" whenever a character's run finishes, it's not like she was abruptly kicked out. Chibnall just sensibly wants to start from a clean slate.

I have the first series downloaded, but I've put off watching it. I want to see it, but the subject matter hits a bit close to home and I haven't heard anything about it aside from that very sweet interview Eccleston did with that autistic kid. Have you seen it?

I hated her. And user didn't say everyone, he just said many

Watched it a few weeks back, i enjoyed it quite a bit, put it in the stream so more people can suffer if you want

Springfield Pervert for 14th Doctor. I think he'd bring a darker edge to the role.

youtube.com/watch?v=TQH3XsQYT74

Good to know, and I'd consider doing that for a second watch maybe. In a stream I divide my attention and can't infosorb effectively and the subject matter could trigger a reaction that needs to be monitored.

Wouldn't be the first time a companion I liked had a fairly short run.

Pearl was refreshing for many reasons. I think her seemingly abbreviated run was a good thing. Less of a chance to wear out her welcome and go out on a high note. I liked Clala, and Amy but by the time they left I was almost glad to see them go.

S5>>>S10>S8=S9>S7>S6

Lads, have you ever heard of a normie who actually remembered Troughton? Anyone would think the show didn’t take off until Pertwee or Tom’s time.

I'm re-watching Christmas Specials. Watching The End of Time and knowing that 10 regenerating means he doesn't want to go to Trenzalore and die makes it better. I mean, it's still shit but it's better.

What's /who/ with you?

Can't argue with that.
A normie in the states would be completely oblivious to it's existence. A casual fan, perhaps. I once met a kind of hipster small business owner that was a few years older than me who was aware of hartnell, troughton and pertwee. They enjoyed 1, and 3 but loathed 2.

>loathed 2
it's weird to me that a who fan would dislike any of the doctors. honestly love all of them.

S9>S5>S6>S10>S7>S8

I feel like S6 is always regarded as less than sum of its parts because it had some fantastic episodes.

Based Moffat redeemed even RTD's shitty writings.

Challenge: write a plot/storyline featuring a returning monster. The catch: the monster must have only appeared once in the past and never again.

It wasn't his only really out there opinion so I didn't really press the matter. He seemed to be somewhat knowledgeable about DW but his interpretations didn't jive somehow like I felt he was bulshitting or intentionally being a contrarian hipster. Like claimed to have skipped baker, because he didn't look the part. McCoy irrevocably ruined the show and refused to acknowledge anything past 10, who was "boring but ok", which is a flabbergasting statement.

Honestly, I'd rather deal with people that only like Tennant and Smith than people like this.

The House from The Doctor's Wife somehow survived and lived in secret in one of Tardis's secret parts. While Tardis is on Earth, it dispatched itself and started slowly taking over the planet as an entity.

Major earthquakes and natural disasters start to happen for no reason in a pattern to lure the Time Lord and her Tardis to a specific location where the House would be in advantage. The Doctor must stop him once again without losing the Tardis.

ah i know that type. the ones who make generic bullshit ill-fitting criticisms to seem like they know best. if someone does that with me i just never bring up the subject again.

I wonder if anyone could make the Abzorbaloff good

Doctor Who is dead.

Not without a full redesign.

I had to completely discount everything else he said about anything after that conversation. You can adore or hate tennant or just think he's ok,but you can't call him or the era boring and you sure as fuck can't say Tom Baker didn't look the part. I think it's the reason why I stopped shopping there.
Micheal Mcintyre instead of peter kay.
No, no I think I've made it worse somehow.

My sixties-born mother, who remains a casual watcher of the show, used to scare me with vivid stories of the Web of Fear. I'd say Troughton certainly stuck in the minds of Brits who were around to watch him on first broadcast.

But 10 didn't retain any memories from DOTD.

Honestly, I think I can deal with someone having shitty opinions about a TV show. I just don't like folks that take themselves way too seriously and make it a point to put down people that disagree.

whom'st the fuck up?

no-one

We've only seen it absorb like 4-5 people.

Imagine if it absorbed more, like a whole building, or a small town.

Just read the new DWM and checked out the article that replaced "Wotcha!" after Cuntgate...it's definitely a step down, though I find the idea they started the new feature with the log entries of the alien that blew a hole through Pearl Mackie amusing

>Feminist womens Suffrage episode
>Evil whites in India and Africa episode

Oh god this is going to be shite.

>history in 100 objects finished before 100
really triggers my OCD

You just made it up.

source?

Why does the BBC release the complete seasons on DVD/Blu-Ray in thick box sets first, and then a year later they're released in slim cases that take up less space?
Why not just slim cases with cardboard sleeves from the start?

Daily Mirror, who are usually right when it comes to the show. Check Girly Letters twitter.

Friend of mine is working in Wales atm on the show, he stated that most of the episodes are confined to Earth and it's very much a UNIT pertwee-esque vibe. He said an upcoming episode will have Jodie ending up in the 70's and will meet and work with the Third Doctor. They managed to convince Sean Pertwee to play his father.

They predicted Kris Marshall was 13 though

Suffragettes and non-anglo-centric historicals are all great ideas for episodes.

At least you're improving

latest spoilers say that jodie doctor wanders around sheffield drunk

From the daily Mirror
> ''Jodies first series in the role of the Doctor is expected to be an Earth heavy one. Our source has informed us that UNIT will be a major ally and player throughout series 11 and many of the episodes will take place not just in Britain but in Ireland, India, Africa and even pre-Colombian America''

It's a well-known fact around here that BBC Worldwide are cunts. It's also why all the discs are identical and there's no way to tell which episodes and features are on which.

Not right now they aren't.

I'd love that but maybe not til her second series and only as a one-off

I can't stand the idea of a female doctor, in my personal head canon Jodie is just a male incarnation going through a phase, he still has a penis and other male parts, but is simply pretending to be a female.

Honestly the most bothersome part of the rumours is the "rehashing the UNIT era" aspect. Please no Chibbers.

>someone somehow turns the Abzorbaloff into a folklore like creature who stalks the night and kidnapps people during the night

I like in all the variations of the get hype pasta, this line never changes.

Please stop.

Why does the complete series 10 not have Peter Capaldi's last episode?

>he doesn't like the comfy UNIT era

I'm saying we don't need to do it again.

Because it hasn't aired yet :^)

Sharon D Clarke is playing the Corsair.

The Ood are back and are slightly redesigned. The Ood are children of a lovecraftian esque god who has returned to our universe. Main plot of series 11 involves an Ood civil war and multiple planets being wiped out my a horde of lovecraftian monsters. Also an Ood on the side of the Doctor becomes a companion. Shadow Proclamation is wiped out in the Christmas special, Corsair is sent by the time Lords to get the Doctor to help. Sharon D Clarke is only playing the Corsair for three episodes then she regenerates into a young man, played by Robert Sheehan (nathan from misfits) he takes over the role for the rest of the series. Gaiman gave Chibnall his blessing to use the character. expect lots of planets and new aliens too.

So it's one arc many different planets and variations.

I can't believe that my sexual orientation will be compatible with masturbating to the Doctor in a few days.
A dream come true.

The person at #LIWho said, according the Edward Russell, "friends" is preferred over "companions" when referring to Yasmin, Ryan and Graham.

twitter.com/GirlyLetters/status/931167914593484803

Prepare yourselves for the UNIT years 2.0, Although I imagine it'll be more 0.5.

It's more like a month.

I don't get what that could even mean. Even if they literally never use the TARDIS - if they accompany her on adventures, they're fucking companions.

*UNIT years .2

hype