If I liked Suspiria, and Profondo Rosso to a lesser extent, what other movies in this same style will I like...

If I liked Suspiria, and Profondo Rosso to a lesser extent, what other movies in this same style will I like? For the rest I'm curious what other non-conventional horror films you like.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kUEC8dNeeYE
imdb.com/title/tt0066993/alternateversions?ref_=tt_ql_trv_5
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devils_(film)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Watch Dario Argento's other films. He was great from The Bird with the Crystal Plumage to The Stendhal Syndrome. Don't watch any of the films that he made after The Stendhal Syndrome. He lost his mind in the late 90s.

Any that are of note specifically?

I was looking at Tenebre earlier but I think having some variation in directors may be a good thing as well.

Italian horror in general is much more focused on striking visuals than anything else, so check out some of the big names like Bava and Fulci. Maybe France's Jean Rollin as well if you want to completely forego coherent plots for strange, dreamlike scenarios and eroticism.

Pic related is also a great French-Italian co-production with gorgeous cinematography and music.

Thanks!

Suspiria was Dario's best work, not really worth watching anything else.

Opera is way better.

Blood and Black Lace

Hausu (1977). It's a little bit weirder than Suspiria though.

Jigoku (at least the final act) is also pretty good Japanese horror with colorful, vibrant visuals.

This. Really ahead of it´s time.

I've never even heard about this film, but it looks interesting. Thanks user.

I'd recommend Phenomena, it's one my favorite obscure horror movies, is also by Dario and has a killer soundtrack. Just make sure you get the good cut, there's several versions and one of them is extremely censored.

If you've ever played Clocktower you may notice some eerie similarities.

Phenomena
Demoni

>non-conventional horror films

Sauna

The only issue I have with Jingoku is that it is a slog to get to that great final act. I understand that it was necessary to build up the main character but the plot dragged and the cinematography wasn't interesting enough to placate the slow pacing.

Completely agree. You have to watch a fairly tedious domestic drama until you get to anything interesting but I guess in a way, it adds to the insanity of the hell stuff.

Deep Red is his best.
There are lots of beautiful giallo movies. Here are my personal recs:
>White Of The Eye
>The Red Queen Kills Seven Times
>Blood And Black Lace
>The Beyond
>Don't Torture A Duckling
>Your Vice Is A Lokced Room
>What Have They Done To Solange?

W I T C H
I
T
C
H

These movies directed by Dario Argento's protege, Michele Soavi:

StageFright
The Church
The Devil's Daughter
Cemetery Man

The bit with the artist and the cats in Bird with the Crystal Plumage is pure kino.

The soundtrack in this and Deep Red are so good

Visually this is one of the best movies i have ever seen!

Goblin truely was a goat band.
Also, check Fabio Frizzi's soundtracks for Lucio Fulci's horror (Beyond, City Of The Living Dead, Zombie Flesh Eaters) and watch them. Another goat Italian horror director.
youtube.com/watch?v=kUEC8dNeeYE

Italian horror films are interesting because they use the medium differently from most films. Like there's this dogma that the point of film is to tell a story, but really anything that you can do with just sight and sound can be done on film. Stuff like Suspiria tells a story, but that's secondary. These films are primarily audio-visual collages constructed to upset the audience before they're stories.

The Devils is banned Nun orgy kino

nothing is quite like suspiria. the only thing that comes close in terms of feel and striking colours is The Neon Demon. none of Argento's film are quite like it in that way, nor any other Italian horrors by the way -- though there are some other good ones.

>nothing is quite like suspiria. the only thing that comes close in terms of feel and striking colours is The Neon Demon
oh jesus christ fuck off with this shit.

>insightful input
>on topic discussion

God damn why do we never have horror generals when the threads are ways gold

The Bird with the Crystal Plumage
Blood and Black Lace
Don't Torture a Duckling

but it's true. there are no where near the visuals in any other italian horror ive seen (Tenebre, Deep Red, The Beyond, Phenomena etc). the colours are really quite unique in Suspiria and The Neon Demon is pretty much the closest thing in that regard.

Have you seen Argento's Inferno? Nowhere near as engaging as Suspiria imo, but at times I felt like it was close to reaching the visuals of Suspiria.

For the giallo maniacs in this thread, how are the films The House with Laughing Windows and A Lizard in a Woman's Skin?

Check out Amer for a modern psychedelic french horror. Not much story to it but the visuals are great.

Some other modern giallo-influenced films that are cool
The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears
Barberian Sound Studio
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Masks (2011)

Inferno is Suspiria part 2. It's pure hallucinatory haunted house filmmaking and the colors were just as vivid.

And Argento was carrying the torch for Bava's school of cinematography. Blood and Black Lace and Planet of the Vampires for instance are just as visually stunning (especially for its time).

Tobe Hooper's early stuff was filled with color gel lighting too (Eaten Alive, Invaders from Mars, Lifeforce)

Neon Demon, on top of being nowhere near as interesting visually, is just shit.

Planet of the Vampires was neat, seemed to influence Scott's Alien a bit.

>Neon demon
>shit
Its visuals were fucking great, but the same can't be said about the characters and its narrative.

and Erik the Conquerer by Bava is also great

then there's the 80s Golan Globus films which used loads of gel lighting as a cheap special effect.

Holy shit this took off in the meanwhile. Thanks for all the recommendations. Coincidentally, some of these were on my to watch list already - I should get around to watching them soon.

>Its visuals were fucking great
meh. I don't find symmetry interesting or particularly hard to do. I get that it's conventionally nice looking, but it's also too fucking safe and predictable (for NWR).

>Check out Amer for a modern psychedelic french horror.
the directors are fucking BELGIAN you troglodyte

Third for Phenomena. I actually prefer it to Suspiria

More like he divorced and stopped working with Daria Nicolodi

not that user but you can't really blame him for getting the two mixed up. Belgium + France go together like mayo and frites

if you don't have Shudder, grab a free trial and check it out. they don't have an insanely expansive selection, but I know some of the films mentioned here are on there as well as miscellaneous Bava, Fulci, and Argento films.

Cemetery Man

Belgium is such a non-country that people completely forget about it. Most people think that Hercule Porot and Tintin are French, so that's all that matters.

Might be my inexperience with Refn since I've only seen Drive before watching ND, but I was really wowed by the visuals and thoroughly enjoyed it. Had a good laugh at the end.

also did WWII just fuck the Italian psyche or what was their deal throughout the '60s and '70s? Every "controversial movies" list is probably going to feature Salo, Cannibal Holocaust, or Mondo Cane in their top 10 and their horror films are infamous for their gore and sadism.

Half of Belgium belongs to france anyways.

Sounds good thanks

Was this worth watching?

no problem m8. it's good if you liked it. sorry if my autism got too much. I've just seen a lot of this stuff and someone claiming that NWR is doing anything remotely interesting triggers me.

What do you think?

A great little film with Jennifer, by Dario.

It's understandable.

If you liked Amer, then yes.

Giallo in general are not a great direction to go in until you've gotten through all the other Italian horror classics. Watch all of Argento's stuff, and Fulci's Gates of Hell/The Beyond/House by the Cemetery, Soavi's movies, and Bava's Blood & Black Lace. If you're still interested, then head into giallo. It's too conventional of a subgenre, generally speaking, just murder mysteries with great production design, music, and gorgeous women. Laughing Windows has an okay ending, and Lizard a few good visuals, but they're probably going to bore you if you're going straight to them from Suspiria. is spot on, Strange Color is a must.

The House with Laughing Windows and A Lizard in a Woman's Skin are both some of my favorite of the genre. The Morricone soundtrack to Lizard is great.

>Barberian Sound Studio
I loved it but it gets a lot of hate. Handled the themes of isolation very well imo

Don't say nothing has come close just because you're a pleb who hasn't seen all the other great visual feasts out there. Your limited experience doesn't make those films not exist.

Oh yeah, I'm not a diehard for this stuff but I've seen most of what you've mentioned along with other Italian odds and ends. Reason I ask is because my friend is clearing out some DVDs and the titles of those two intrigued me, so based on your rundown and I might grab em.

People talking about giallos, recommending great films and all this in a civilized manner. Nice thread, thanks for all the recommendations.

fuck you.

rude awakening, apologize right now

>free horror DVDs
>questioning whether to have them

Why

The fact that Argento went from visionary to plebeian is a tell tale sign that Daria Nicolodi made all those good movies.

i feel like some of the symbolism in Jigoku was lost on me. what did the pink umbrellas represent, for example?
good movie, though. House, too.

really hope this get's a complete release one day.

I was extremely confused when I saw this in a Walmart and thought maybe it was some old Argento I missed, but I looked it up later and discovered it was something new that was getting eviscerated by critics.

How long is the film supposed to be? I got a 108 min version, but it's a shitty old avi rip.

on wikipedia it says the restored cut is 117, but there isn't a source listed. and on the IMDB trivia section it says the longest existing cut is 111.
imdb.com/title/tt0066993/alternateversions?ref_=tt_ql_trv_5
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devils_(film)

Interesting, thanks! I'll try figuring it out if it's possible to get the restored cut somewhere.

Read the book if you have not, it's a masterpiece.

Here's my chance to post this image.