What do you guys think of Mark Millar?

What do you guys think of Mark Millar?

Faggot. Hack. Faggot hack.

Morrison's Earth-3 equivalent

Not edgy enough

He was at his best when he partnered with Morrison (like in Flash and Red Son)

Otherwise he's basically a Hollywood sellout who's getting movie deals before he's even finished a comic

He's weird looking

I liked Red Son.

>Mark Millar, MBE
>Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire for services to film and literature

What did Old Blighty mean by this?

When he has an editor to rein him in, he's fantastic. His recent output has actually been a lot of fun.

>Superior
>Starlight
>Empress
>MPH
>Chrononauts
>Supercrooks
>Jupiter's Legacy/Jupiter's Circle

His Superman Adventures series of comics are also really top notch. A wonderful expansion on the DCAU. All in all, a very strong and capable writer.

>Chrononauts

georgeconstanzabaseball.jpg

Surprisingly good source of movie material

Sup Forums doesn't like him.

If you want to fit in then you'll dislike him too.

most of the responses to this thread are pretty balanced, strawman

>diamond dozen
triggered

>Sup Forums hates ennis

0/10 shitty bait.

Sup Forums hates Miller and Ennis?

It's bait. He just wants (you)s

Entertaining if you like edgy 'what the fuck did I just read' stuff along the lines of the movie Crank. Don't expect anything deep.

How is it bait to point out that Sup Forums regularly shits all over Ennis and Miller for edgy grimdark ultraviolence and pathetic power fantasies?

Or maybe the truth is that you silly newfriends need to read that image again and see what it's ACTUALLY saying.

>Ennis
>edgy grimdark ultraviolence and pathetic power fantasies

pick one

I've seen feminazis attacking Miller a LOT more than Sup Forums. Like, they legit wish for his death. Even though they've never read Martha Washington

>Sup Forums is one person

>2013
how about you shut up and update it a bit? Then people may actually believe you

Why would I want that? I hate it when people believe that image. How do all you dumb shits always miss the big honking "April Fools" on there?

You're the one who's butthurt about people saying it's bait.

oh wait, is THIS also bait?

Why would a bait image announce that it's for April Fools?

You tell me

His current output is lame, though I've heard Jupiter Legacy with Quitely was good.

Because it isn't bait. Ennis and Miller were absolutely reviled on Sup Forums when that image was made, and that image is defending them. You misunderstood it because you're a newfriend and a skim-reader.

this

“I wish him well, but there’s no good feeling between myself and Mark for many reasons, most of which are he destroyed my faith in human fucking nature.”
“There’s a very good chance of running into him, and I hope I’m going 100 miles an hour when it happens.”

What a baby.

like most matter, he doesn't deserve to exist

Obvious proof that chaos magic is bunk.

Bump

I used to like him, but man is his stuff just edgy or dirty?

I don't really know a good word for it, but its basically comics that you see teenagers read who think they read the good shit.

I mean, even in Superior which isn't bad, the writing just seems hateful, like it doesn't come from a place of love.

I like him. I think his stories are often fairly dumb, outragerous and shallow, but he rarely bores me.
Plus, I've always enjoyed the way he seems to upsets wankers

isn't that more of a powerless fantasy?

Where is my Nemesis 2 you edgy prick?

Not my favourite, but the whole Kick Ass / Hit-Girl series was awesome

PS- Now it is "in" to shit allover Ennis? The guy who gave us good and long series like Preacher, Hitman, Punisher and The Boys? Seem like the Abba during the mid 80's. Seen this before...

(forgot the image)

Easily the most inconsistent from the UK pool. A guy of great highs, and heinously awful lows.

But I don't think any of his good stuff will ever be enough to outweigh Civil War and what it did.

I either love his stuff or I hate it.

Sup Forums likes actually Miller since holy terror.
His All Star Batman is famous in here as well.

One of my favorite mainstream writers, he knows how to tell a captivating story and usually gets the most out of his artists. Plus he writes some perfect Superman stories.

Does that mean pre 2000s Morrison was thought robot Morrison?

He does really shameful things to caprines.

Read the jupiter saga my dog it starts off in a way you just described then out of fucking nowhere it pulls out a really positive pixar-ish family message in the vein of silver age nonsense although the main villain does continue to be a bit edgy still.

I was told to read Huck when it came out and saw a lot of Millarfags raving about it. How Millar is edgy no more and is writing good comics, stating Huck as an example. But hell, was it bland and lacklustre.

A lot of people call me a big Millar fan, but his most recent output has been really shit.

Chrononauts, Empress, Huck... just all really boring and bland.
It's not a good example.

I think his peak right in current era has to be the period of time KA3/Starlight/Jupiters Saga was getting started.

After that has been nothing but boring duds.

He's great the further he is kept from nudity and gore, in my opinion. The more he is allowed to write gore, dicks, and tits the dumber he gets, but Ultimates 1 and 2 were good and Marvel Knights Spider-man is amazing.

I still say that everything but Kick-Ass 2 is an exploitation classic.
As a story about idiotic sociopaths, which Millar never shies from pointing out that Kick-Ass is one, trying to be heroes...only Kick-Ass 2 is shit for taking itself too seriously.

>I still say that everything
...in the Kick-Ass series.

Chrononauts and Empress were the most generic pieces of shit I've ever read, and only a neo-nazi would like MPH.

What the fuck was wrong with MPH?
It had less substance to it, but hell, stuff like Baseball's story helped it along.

Not defending Chrononauts or Empress though.
Along with Huck they're just real shit.

Challengers of the Unknown is the only good Loeb story and it's not even in that image.

It's good just for the Quitely art.

Jokes aside, hit-and-miss writer who seems like a good person with good intentions, who seems easy to work with, especially when it comes to share credit with his artist when a movie adaptation happens, but ultimately relies too much on the same artist do to the job. If you look at his scripts you'll see my last point.

Overall, he's pretty alright. I like his hits a lot and his movie adaptations are fun and yes, even better than the source material. Can't wait for Nemesis 2 for the Storytime of Pain and the meemz, as well as the probably much MUCH better movie.

I'm just baiting because people called it racist back in the day

>no one notices april's fools

Mainly true.
But it being a generational story helps give it more umph, especially with stuff like Circle alleviating the more shallow aspects of Legacy.

Was he always shit, did he become shit somewhere along the way or is he secretly a genius and we just don't get it?
Keep in mind that he wrote The Adventures of Superman.

He writes for ease of adaptability His more notorious stuff was when he wrote for mass..notoriety.

I'm only excited for American Jesus 2: Messiah.
Cause if there's anything Millar loves more than Superman...it's Jesus.

I hate to say it but he was probably the "best" event writer at Marvel since Civil War. Second best if you count Annihilation and the Marvel cosmic stuff as an event.

when aliens infiltrate our society wearing the skins of people they will look and act like him

even Skynet took more care about looking human

I think it's more that he retains comic media rights to the stuff he's pitching, and since he's got access to publishers who want to publish him, he can pretty much put his pitches out as comics while they're being considered

it's clever in many ways; maybe not ideal, but still

How's his new book with Capullo?
I only ask because I bought the first three issues the other night for half price without knowing anything about them

There's a bit more going on than in Empress or Chrononauts, since it's about reconnecting with family etc. So...it has that going for it.

Miller, morrison and ennis ruined 2000ad.

For that I can never forgive them.

So fuck marky mills.

He did Civil War, right? I've read that book so many times trying to find something to like about it, but I just can't. Its nonsense. Captain Americas side have no argument whatsoever. Then the big fight is literally "throw all the superheroes in a room ans have them fight". And then thwy fight for a page. Then Captain America just gives up.

Same problem with Old Man Logan. Horrific pacing. Pure fan service that doesn't work at all.

He's a good ideas guy, I'll absolutely give him that. But anything I've read by him has been really poor.

Do you know his method of writing?

He first thinks the big things, the key moments that will cause shock and attract readers. The actual plot where these key moments take place is the last thing on his mind.

He wrote Civil War before thinking in the Registration Act. It was just an excuse to make heroes punch each other.

But this style really seems to work. Civil War is Marvel's biggest event, after all.

I've read some of the stuff he did for Judge Dredd. I hate him.

I think I could take him in a fight

It was only so big because it came in the years after 9/11 and the godawful Patriot Act, so it seemed fresh and relevant at first, but then it just shat every bed it fell into.

From what I've read, it was just a big committee who thought up civil war then they asked him to write it

Good writer.
Edgelord.
Kickass sucks

This, also edgy.

Yes, Annihilation was an event.
But so was Messiah CompleX, Fall of the Hulks, Chaos War, Spider-Island, Necrosha and probably more stuff I don't remember right now which didn't suck ass badly.
So, not even close to "best".

>pathetic power fantasies
So section 8?

The Boys?

people who are really critical of Millar are usually Johnsfags

I will never forgive Millar for what he did in adapting wanted, and not giving us more in the world of Westley being the evil prick he is, and ruining motherfuckers breakfasts, and snatching birthdays.

and raping Britney spears then throwing a plugged in toaster into the bathtub with her.

>Preacher
You know, I can't believe a concept so edgy like ''edgy soldier kills god'' can be executed so well.
Ennis is one of those writers you want to hate but you can't BECAUSE HE IS EDGY BUT FOR A REASON

Older Britbongs (and some Americans too, I suppose) will remember the huge furore caused by his taking over writing duties on Sam Slade Robo-Hunter from 2000AD--every week for the duration the letters page would have people complaining he'd basically raped the Sam Slade we all knew and loved. Pretty sure it was his first, or one of his very first professional jobs...I don't like his work at all, though I dug Red Razors (?), the comic from the Megazine about the Sov Judge with painted art by Steve Yeowell.
C'mon user you're among friends here, tell us what you really think!

>Older Britbongs (and some Americans too, I suppose) will remember the huge furore caused by his taking over writing duties on Sam Slade Robo-Hunter from 2000AD--every week for the duration the letters page would have people complaining he'd basically raped the Sam Slade we all knew and loved.

Someone seriously needs to storytime the original and the Millar version to compare.

He should only write Superman and nothing else.

Here, have oldschool Sup Forums's opinion on the matter.

I still have his run somewhere in my attic. Boxes...and boxes...of progs. Do you know the original Sam Slade? Y'know, basically the P.I, obviously a pun/based on Sam Spade, yeah?
and Millar totally retcons him into this blonde, crop-haired bovver-boy (look it up if you dunno what it means, think almost Steven Graham's character from This Is England), gives him a hover-bike-thing, gets rid of Stogie AND Hoagy...basically made him into an amoral thug. But it was supposed to be funny and tongue-in-cheek...and it totally wasn't. It was like Millar was fucking oblivious to the fact that it just didn't work. Even worse it was gorgeously illustrated and hand-coloured (watercoloured line-work, NOT fully painted) by either Massimo Bellardinelli or his son, I don't remember which (they both drew very similarly and with equal skill)....Tl;dr--it was a fucking debacle

>it's been nearly 10 years since
Jesus

licks goats

FLIcks goats

The original Wagner(?sorry, memory?)/Gibson Sam Slade....

Me and Gwant *KLIK* Me and Gwant *KLIK* Me and Gwant *KLIK* Me and Gwant *KLIK*

.....and the Millar version, "Gaz MaCabe"
(that's the only image from Millar's run I could find...it would appear even Google hates it)