Publick: "This show... If you'll permit me to get 'big picture', this show is actually all about failure...

Publick: "This show... If you'll permit me to get 'big picture', this show is actually all about failure. Even in the design, everything is supposed to be kinda the death of the space-age dream world. The death of the jet-age promises."

Hammer: "It's about the beauty of failure. It's about that failure happens to all of us...Every character is not only flawed, but sucks at what they do, and is beautiful at it and Jackson and I suck at what we do, and we try to be beautiful at it, and failure is how you get by...It shows that failure's funny, and it's beautiful and it's life, and it's okay, and it's all we can write because we are big...failures. (laughter)"

Brock sucks at being a secret agent? 21 sucks at being a henchman? Hank sucks at being a teenager?

You really don't get it?

>MUH FAILURE
Thanks for reminding me why this show became garbage. They went too far up their own asses and forgot the comedy and pathos made everything up to season 4 enjoyable.

Apparently not
Enlighten me

They said the theme was failure back in season 2, which was one of the (imo) best seasons.

Faikure doesn't always mean that you are bad at something. Brock failed a relationship with Molotov Cocktease. 21 failed to save his best friend. Hank may even be the reverse where, despite being dubbed a failure at everything, could actually end up being awesome and surpass his self-loathing father just by being Hank, with Dean being the failure despite being coddled to be great.

*Failure

I typed too fast

Actually this is from pretty early on. They've since said that they moved on from that.

In 2013, Publick and Hammer have discussed moving away from the theme and embracing the "successes" of the characters as well.

>move away from failure theme after s4
>blame failure for everything sucking after s4
Publick: I think you and I are both sick of every interview mentioning the “It’s a show about failure” from five years ago. I don’t think we made a conscious effort to fight that or anything, but every year, we push what we do as writers a little more. An area we hadn’t gone into very much was positivity. I mean, all our victories are still satiric, but there are definitely places where we said, “I want to see these guys do something. I don’t want to just have everything fall on its face all the time.[13]

Hank is likely the personification of "beauty in failure".

What has he failed at?

The ambiguity of value
The want to succeed versus the need to be satisfied
The existential crisis of aging

>Not liking seasons 5 and 6

The show has been costiently great since the end of season 1. While you might not like them as much as the previous seasons, I don't understand the people who dismiss seasons 5 and 6 like if those seasons were bad or awful.

That's an old quote, and they've moved forward a bit from that.

That said, you are taking too literal a definition. If they failed at everything, they would choke to death while trying to eat.
Brock might be the hottest shit secret agent you could find, yet he's assigned to being Rusty's bodyguard.
21 is a henchman for the Monarch.
How is that not being failures?

>kills anyone trying to arch Venture
If he kills The Monarch I drop this show

This.

The monarch is no threat so he is safe.

The Blue Morpho story arc is so fucking good that I seriously hope they don't go back to being The Monarch and Henchmen 21 and they just stay as The Blue Morpho Kano for the remainder of the series.

I feel like the latter two seasons, while good, don't live up to the earlier ones.

I can't put my finger on why, but one of the reasons I don't like them is because they handled Dean poorly. They set him on a good path with his angst (while still showing his more caring and empathetic side), then ignore him for most of the season. Hank says he's happy about being cloned, and Dean's attitude changes back to normal and there are no more issues.

Then come season 6, his angst is still gone, and he's back to his naive (but still smart) self. And he's still barely explored because his university life is barely touched, and he's been shoved into the background even further.

I don't mind that too much because I never liked Dean. I used to dislike Hank too but he got a lot better.

It's unreal, it's like the most fun I've seen the Monarch have EVER and he'ss not even arching Venture.

>Monarch is going to realise he doesn't need Venture next season
Place your bets

Why didn't he just move the table closer to the plug
It even had wheels

thank god season 7 is coming soon

>soon
you mean January 2018 soon or 2019 soon?

Maybe Dean will surpass his father by getting a degree in something mundane and living a good average middle class life.

>he expects it this decade
See you in 2023

Hindsight.

Yeah. This always slightly bothered me because I feel like I'm one of the few people who prefers Dean over Hank (Still like Hank though). I guess they wanted to focus the majority of the season on the Monarch, which is fine. My biggest complaint is that the last episode of season 6 didn't really feel like closure in the slightest. Season 5 was also really short but the last episode of that season at least tied a few things up (Ending the whole Dean clone drama, Billy finding his mom, etc).

Spanakopita!

SPANIKOPITA

"My name is Killinger, Doctor Henry Killinger, and you just read this in my voice"

Even the showrunners have admitted that Season 6 ended on the wrong episode. If they could have gone back, they'd have ended it with the episode where Dr. Ms. The Monarch nearly assassinates Dr. Venture because it felt more conclusive to the season than the episode it actually ended on.

they've gone back on this theme of failure after people kept questioning them about this every year

Oh I didn't know that. That episode would've been a more fitting finale.

neat