Is it possible to make a movie about the battle of thermopylae without making it war propaganda?

is it possible to make a movie about the battle of thermopylae without making it war propaganda?

hard mode: make it a drama/thriller

It's kinda hard to make movie about a famous battle that's not a war movie.
Unless you're Michael Bay, and then you make it into a harlequin romance novel.

There's nothing wrong with war propaganda.

Yes

It would actually be cool to see the story from the perspective of the Persians, not in a "good guy/bad guy" way but from the perspective of a powerful military force meeting an unexpected resistance.

very true, this should be tried desu.

Isn't the sequel kinda like that?

That's not really moralistic for Hollywood, though. Always have to have an obvious villain.
Maybe the Russians could do it. That biopic of Ghengis Khan they did was pretty dope.

Not really. 300 nailed it.

Otherwise you end up realizing the Greeks were being assholes. Persia was very religiously accepting and ruled justly allowing kings to keep ruling with nothing but some tax. Keeping their own laws and customs.

I think the sequel is mostly told from the perspective of Themistocles.

2h and 37m of build up and it ends with them the spartans walking to the battle with no actual fighting whatsever besides maybe one murder

So they were a multicultural hellhole that was doomed to fail and collapse?

neato

Also Persia was literally destroyed because it's provinces weren't loyal to it and kept revolting and trying to rule themselves and then muslims outta nowhere and raped them all to death

really makes you think

Liberally allowing certain laws and customs to exist even while being part of the Empire is like saying thank you to your prison guard for giving you cornmeal and a glass of water. You are still a vassal state that pours money into someone else's pockets, and your entire military existence is bent on protecting the best interest of your conqueror.

The greeks were not being assholes, they were defending themselves. You are a fucking retard who has a hardon for being a contrarian revisionist little bitch.

Center it around Xerxes and his increasing frustration with being unable to either convince or conquer the Greeks. Make the battles the back drop, not the centerpiece.
Basically show it as Persia's Vietnam instead of Greece's Battle of Britain.

thats indeed a good idea.

No, they were just located in a hellhole surrounded on all sides. They were more democratic and open than the Greeks who somehow always get pasted with that when they could barely hold their shit together.

I would respond but you ended with an insult so I'll call you a cock loving faggot, which you are. You love it in every hole.

again, being "open" and "democratic" is a weakness when you're ruling over a land of subhuman savages

which is why the persian empire collapsed, because all the shitskins got uppity after xerces died

This. The best war films ever are unapologetic glorifications of heroic valor. Nazi and Soviet propaganda films weren't bad at all, especially Veit Harlan.

I like it

300 sequel did have a lot more on the persian side, they are actually more interesting.

Make it historical.
>300 Spartans and thousands of other soldiers find the perfect spot to stand for a bit
>Persians can't pass because it's a really good place to stand for a bit
>Persians walk around and kill them all
Nobody actually looks good.

>submitting
For cowards.

Yet why is Greece always painted as the bastion of Democracy when if plainly fucking wasn't? That was my point. You're the one going off on some fucking tangent of "well having an open culture is bad please believe me."

This could be a whole new genre

>Seige of X
>Defenders starve to death
>invasion movie
>defenders retreat or surrender. movie over
>rom-com
>after a long series of successful an uneventful dates, the duo get married and move to the suburbs

Greek democracy worked because they weren't shitskins, and even then they fucked it up

PIERATS? NO THIS IS SBARTA!

>historical
The war was pretty much mythical you dumbass