Redesign Thread

Good, bad, and everything in between

There's something very West Anderson about these.

They remind me of that "What if Wes Anderson directed the X-Men" video, yeah

Marvel Girl mask is just a bad color for that shape. Huntress works because it's always a dark color.

Come to think of it, have there ever been any Batfam members that were blind?

Not that I recall but it's suprising that there isn't a Daredevil type batfamily member considering bats and sonar and all that.

I'm not sure what is says about us that 90% of Superman redesigns invoke fascist aesthetics.

It's the high collar. If you absolutely want to avoid that impression and keep the collar you have to go more sci-fi on it. The new 52 costume was shit but that's probably the reason why they made it look so bulky, to cut down on the militaristic impression.

Don't you mean Super Mario?

Anyone remember that one dude who did a bunch of Superman redesigns? But he outright admitted he didn't really get or like the character so he made a bunch of sci-fi monsters and cyborgs vaguely resembling elements of Superman's costume?

>Iron man becomes a body horror story

Yes, we need a good body horror movie.

Fascist ideals are dapper as fuck is what it says.

Oh god, I'd love to see those.

>considering bats and sonar and all that.

The fact that bats are blind is a myth. In fact many bats have excellent eyesight

The riding pants tucked into knee-high jackboots Nazi officer thing is really popular with Superman redesigns as well.

I'll see if I can scour around for 'em.

I like it. First costume, sort of has a kill Bill feel to it.

>sexifying the Powerpuff Girls by having their boobs out
But why

why does female sci-fi armor ALWAYS have their titties out?

Looks like a very special Superman.

I mean he looks retarded.

Are you talking about Aaron Diaz's infamous JLA designs?

Pretty off-theme but I have to admit it's rather a cool set of designs.

For titty-fucking.

Short version:
Beauty is power. Displays of beauty are then displays of power. Similar reason for why heels are often incorporated into such things.

I don't think so. This guy really went overboard. But I can't seem to find his shit.

What'd Aaron Diaz do?

Well, that's silly. Heels can be passable but what's stopping a bullet or a sword or whatever from totally ruining those exposed titties and the vital organs behind them?

Don't ask questions when you aren't prepared for the answer.

Oh, please. How bad could they be?

The Kryptonian civilization once spanned hundreds of worlds, their technology and knowledge unrivaled in their corner of the galaxy. Kryptonians had long since advanced to a point where technology and biology were indistinguishable, making them virtually immortal and omnipotent in the eyes of less developed races. Over time they grew overconfident, and wished to introduce their technology to undeveloped worlds, in direct violation of the most important rule of the galactic community: the Omega Law.

In an attempt to assimilate the natives of the planet Mars, Krypton finally gained the attention of Colu, enforcer of the Omega Law, and was marked for extermination. A Kryptonian Scientist named Jor-El, specializing in passively and remotely observing nearby Earth, witnessed this and rapidly set a plan forward to save his infant son, Kal-El, from their fate. By sending him in a conventional rocket toward the backwater planet Earth, he guaranteed Kal-El’s safety from Colu. The rocket took over a thousand years to reach the planet, and upon reaching the surface, restructured Kal-El’s body so he would appear as a human.

Raised by simple farmers, Kal-El (now called Clark Kent) eventually learned of his heritage when examining a recorded message from his rocket. His father informed him of his fate, and that he must never dominate the planet with his immense power, as it would warp the fate of all life on Earth. Not content to passively observe humanity, though, Clark decides to inspire others through his actions as Superman.

Superman has declared that he fights for those who cannot defend themselves, owing no allegiance to a particular government (though still obeying their laws). He has particularly targeted corporate corruption and the military-industrial complex as enemies of human progress, his most prominent opponent being billionaire industrialist Lex Luther and his company, LexCorp.

Since antiquity there had been a remote Mediterranean island, Themyscira, inhabited by near-mythical women, often called Amazons. They mastered many arts of combat, but also had a knowledge of mysterious crafts regarded by outsiders as “magic.” Over time their numbers dwindled, but they created a special keeper of their island, a living statue whom they named Diana. Over a thousand years later, long after the last of the Amazons had died out, Diana remained. Her vigil was finally interrupted by the plane crash of an American pilot, Steve Trevor. Taking pity on him and nursing him back to health, Diana decided that the “world of men” was too fragile and needed protecting, or at the very least investigating.

. . . haHAHHAHAHAHA
Why does Clark Kent look like a Ditko-era Peter Parker?
What is that costume?
Cute alien form, but does this mean Zod's supposed to look like he just got done fighting Sigourney Weaver?

The magic inherent to fictional characters that let them be power fantasies first and where does Batman stop to go to the washroom when out in costume second?

Origin: Born with a degenerative nervous system, Victor Stone nevertheless became a technological savant and eventually overcame his disability with cybernetics of his own design. Having always been obsessed with human enhancement, he instantly became enamored when news of a “Superman” circulated the world. In an attempt to win the favor of the newly formed Justice League, he proceeded to hack into their systems and even physically challenge them to prove his worth. Despite being ultimately defeated, Victor was accepted as a member and serves as their “IT guy.”

Powers: Cyborg possesses higher than average human strength, the ability to connect himself to and to control most computer systems, and a greatly enhanced intellect. He also possesses an impressive (though not always fully functioning) array of personal armaments.

Notes: Cyborg’s current origin (troubled teen who gets in an accident) seemed played out, so I went the technophile angle, which I think is more relevant. It also places a more positive light on Cyborg’s prostheses, as the original origin has a very antiquated “Darth Vader” vibe to it. Here I’ve basically based Cyborg off of Richard Ayoade’s character Moss from The IT Crowd, making him much geekier and emphasizing his intelligence over brute strength. When you’re on a superhero team with the likes of Superman and Wonder Woman, having a gun hand isn’t your greatest attribute. With that in mind, my Cyborg is valued more for his technical skills and madcap ingenuity.

Origin: Thousands of years ago, there existed a civilization of changelings who inhabited Mars. Unaware of greater galactic affairs, they were contacted by a Kryptonian ship wishing to advance them with their immense technology. This was in violation of the Omega Law, and both civilizations were immediately doomed to extermination. While this occurred, a single Martian was accidentally teleported to the present time, on Earth, by an experimental teleporter in LexCorp labs. Despite this unusual arrival, LexCorp did not believe him to be an alien but a mutated version of John Jones, the astronaut they were attempting to teleport to Mars. There the Martian was kept for several years before being rescued by Superman.

Inspired by Superman’s heroics, the Martian took on the name Manhunter and vowed to bring justice to Lex Luthor and others who abuse their power.

Powers: "John Jones,“ like all his kind, can change his physical form at will, though it takes some effort to keep any shape that isn’t his natural one. He is only limited by the amount of matter in his own body. Using this, he can alter his density to become lighter than air, turn invisible and even "phase” through solid matter.

Notes: I removed most of the Martian Manhunter’s powers and focused on shapeshifting, since his other abilities are covered thoroughly by Superman and the rest of the Justice League. This version is also much less trustworthy of human beings, and with his special skill acts as the League’s detective and infiltrator. Visually I went with something more gangly, and with an outfit that he made himself to mimic Superman. He’s explicitly meant to look awkward and out of place. I like John being more alien and focused on simply understanding the world around him. The first Earthlings he really encounters are all heroes so he thinks “Well, I guess I’ll assimilate into this ‘super’ culture."

a LIVING STATUE
Wow.

Origin: Oa is a planet that stands apart from the galactic community in that its leaders take great interest in underdeveloped civilizations. So great is their concern that, in violation of the Omega Law, they secretly send devices of significant power to backwater worlds that allows a single individual of utmost character to defend their planet from existential threats. Upon its arrival to Earth, the device chose a young animator named Midori Ota for her creativity and strength of will. While she eventually embraced this new power, Midori does not realize this "green lantern’s” origins or why she must truly wield it.

Notes: The only significant visual change is the removal of the ring. I did this partly because I think a visually central source of power fits with the symmetry of the outfit better, but more importantly I wanted a device that was more universal and would make sense with an interplanetary effort to empower multiple species. It also cuts out the middle man and make the Green Lantern someone who literally uses a Green Lantern to fight. You wouldn’t call Batman “Money Man” or “Cave Man” because that’s where he recharges. Also I went with a plucky, younger character like Kyle Rayner, who I think was the most interesting to hold the title. Midori is a person who enjoys being a superhero and revels in the action it brings, at least for now.

I'm not even gonna touch that one.

Origin: While attempting to replicate what he believed to be the origin of Superman’s invulnerability, Dr. Ananth Patil accidentally accelerated his own metabolism to a superhuman degree. While he has gained extraordinary abilities in the process, his body has become unstable, requiring him to eat enormous amounts of food simply to stay alive and making regular sleep impossible. He currently seeks out other superhumans, hoping to find a way to cure his condition.

Powers: The Flash can and move at incredible speeds, well past Mach 10. He has also devised a helmet that compensates for the Doppler blue shift he sees at very high speeds as well as the equivalent for sound with his ear microphones.

Notes: I wanted a different take on the Flash than what’s usually seen, namely someone who saw it more of a curse than a blessing. Ananth is a scientist first, he’s more like Hank Pym or Bruce Banner: adventuring is a means to an end. Visually I wanted to give him a build that was more like a sprinter with larger thighs and a leaner overall shape. His outfit is very deliberately designed (by the Flash himself), with an emphasis on comfort and practicality.

Ananth Patil, eh?
Who's Kid Flash?
Peetar Prabavkar?

Origin: Superman is considered a security liability by the US Government, as he does not recognize their authority over most matters. As a response, the CIA secretly worked with LexCorp on replicating the Man of Tomorrow’s abilities in human beings. The only test subject to survive the process was Lieutenant Karan Starr, who was given the codename “Power Girl” and tasked with being the United States’ counter to Superman. However, instead of openly opposing him, Karan was sent to infiltrate the newly formed Justice League as an independent “superhero.”

Powers: Strength and invulnerability comparable to Superman, though she does not have his more unusual abilities like flight. However, since LexCorp did not know that Superman is an alien, their methods of replicating his abilities were very different. This may lead to Karan experiencing side effects later on.

Notes: Power Girl’s origin story has always been a mess, so I just started from scratch. Since my version of Superman both makes him much more antiauthoritarian, it seemed natural to have a character that exists as the government’s response to a superhuman acting independent of their own interests. Karan is essentially a Captain America character with a much more morally ambiguous origin, and is sent to basically watch over this crazy (in her eyes) band of superpowered people- I think that has story potential. Visually I wanted to keep her short, curvy build, but place emphasis on her strength instead of her sexuality.

>removal of the ring
why even
what
>now they're someone who actually uses a green lantern to fight
stop it

And that's the Justice League. But that doesn't mean we're done here.

I know it's kinda edgy but I would love to see a riddler with a mask like this

>she does not have his more unusual abilities like flight.

fugg off m8

god no, please stop. Not his fucking xmen

Here's a little taste of what's to come.

Wait a second
Is this the transhumanist guy?
Who really really likes cyborgs?
With that comic with the Japanese cyborg girl who """does science"""?

Y'know what? That looks significantly better. I honestly have high hopes.

Lex Luthor is a selfmade man. Born in the slums of Metropolis, he pulled himself out of poverty and was accepted with a full scholarship to MIT, though he soon dropped out to start his own business, LexCorp. Luthor’s company soon became the most influential in the country, the leader in both consumer and military technologies. His business practices were less than honest, however, and his further rise to power increasingly involved more dubious dealings. Upon the arrival of Superman, however, and his clear message of standing up to those who would abuse their power, Luthor became concerned. He didn’t understand where this person came from or how he was seemingly invincible, but he would find out

To keep Superman and other heroes away from his most important dealings, Luthor devised two plans. First, he worked with the CIA to create Power Girl, a metahuman counter to Superman who would join the Justice League and watch over them. The second was a far more sinister and secret plan: to fund a team of supervillains to occupy the League’s time, a “Secret Society.” No one but Luthor and a single Society member knew he was ultimately behind their organization

Luthor’s a pretty great foil to Superman already, so I didn’t want to change much. I prefer his depiction as a corporate mogul instead of a mad scientist, especially since it fits with my Superman’s proletarian leanings. This, however, doesn’t mean that Luthor isn’t a technical genius, it’s just that his goals are bigger than just inventing things. Visually I wanted someone who looked pretty friendly, nerdy fellow, like a Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. He’s a famous guy and his personal image is strongly tied to the success of his company, so he’d try hard to suppress any notion that he’s anything but perfect. Then comes Superman, who’s this media darling, and it really gets to Luthor. Not only is this guy out to stop Luthor and his kind, but he’s doing it with a clean image

His X-Men?
He made X-Men nonsense?
I wanna see.

So fucking boring

It's like he can only draw two body types

Forgot the pic

Origin: LexCorp geneticist Cornelius Grodd was tasked with reproducing Superman’s regenerative abilities and invulnerability. When he learned that his professional rival at S.T.A.R. labs, Ananth Patil, had made greater strides in this, Grodd sabotaged Patil’s work (unwittingly turning him into the Flash) and stole a sample of what he believed to be a serum for reproducing Superman’s invulnerability. After thorough testing and modification, Grodd concluded that the serum would work, and would also easily double his intelligence. He also concluded that only he should possess such power, and took the serum himself. It did increase his intellect, but instead of invulnerability, Grodd’s body was turned into an early hominid-like form. Disgraced, he turned to Luthor for aid, who offered him a new mission in exchange for the funding needed to undo his disfigurement: create a supervillain group to keep Superman occupied. Grodd knows he’s being used, but for the meantime plays along before making a direct action against Luthor.

Powers: Grodd possesses slightly higher than human strength, but his main ability is his cunning intellect and ability to hypnotize and control those with whom he makes eye contact.

Notes: Grodd’s a fun character and everyone loves an evil gorilla, but I wanted to have an appearance that wasn’t so on the nose about it. I decided for kind of a Planet of the Apes appearance, and went with a backstory that meshed with that. He’s also a guy who’s now as smart as or smarter than Luthor, with the same sort of ambition, and I wanted to preserve the classic semi-rivalry between these two villains.

Least offensive Diazification. Not much has changed, fundamentally.

Origin: LexCorp wasn’t the only company bidding for the government’s superhuman contract. Cadmus Labs also had a candidate for the “answer” to Superman, but while Lex Luthor’s project was simply to make their own superhuman, Cadmus took a darker route by creating a weapon explicitly designed to kill Superman. In place of a life sentence, mass murderer John Corben signed on to be one of Cadmus’s experiments. Project Metallo involved grafting him to a mechanical body, one that was powered by a mysterious meteor that they had been observed to weaken Superman. When Metallo was rejected by the government in favor of Power Girl, Cadmus made plans to dismantle him, but Corben managed to escape. Soon, however, he was intercepted by the Grodd, and offered an opportunity to join the Society so that he could fulfill the one action that would truly give him pleasure (thanks to Cadmus’s conditioning): fighting Superman.

Notes: Criminal experimentation seemed like a natural way to go with Metallo. I also like the notion that Lex Luthor actually didn’t come up with the most evil way to deal with Superman (at least at first). Visually I wanted Metallo to look a bit clunky and retro; there’s some Iron Giant and Big O in there, as well as a creepy glowing skull. He’s meant to look like he can take and give a pounding. The origin I’ve given him isn’t far removed from his original, just a little closer to something from the Robocop movies.

I spoke too soon.

>believing that increase of metabolism = increase in speed

disgusting

Origin: Leslie Willis first gained notoriety on the reality TV show I’m a Superhero, Get Me Out of Here, where contestants were given a superhero name, powers, and forced to live together in Miami. When she discovered she would soon be voted off the show, Willis concocted a plan to increase her popularity by “going evil,” and proceeded to murder the other contestants and film crew. The plan worked, and “Livewire” continued to garner fame with a violent life of crime. She joined the Secret Six primarily because it would increase her exposure and chances of killing a popular hero. However, if that doesn’t turn out, Livewire has a backup plan where she will “turn good” at the last minute and help the Justice League.

Powers: Livewire’s gauntlets and helmet allow her to control electromagnetic fields. This mostly involves firing bolts of electricity and a rudimentary usage of magnetism to bend or throw metal.

Notes: Livewire’s original origin (as a shock jock) seemed a little too early 90s, but I do like the idea of an obnoxious egomaniac angle, so I went with the reality show backstory. In a world where Superman and other heroes are a new thing, you’d expect media outlets to capitalize on the hype. Livewire’s motivations aren’t too far removed from modern non-celebrities of that type, she’s only taken it to extremes. Visually, I wanted her outfit to be provocative before it’s practical. This is a character who is more concerned about being photographed than having combat-ready clothing.

>some Big O
Gee, with those arms, I might never have guessed.

Origin: The appearance of Superman and others sparked somewhat of a superhuman arms race worldwide, with nations concerned about their enemies gaining super soldiers of their own. A high price was offered, for example, for anyone who could navigate to the Amazonian island, Themiscyra, and recover its relics. Many treasure hunters lept at the opportunity, but only the mercenary Doris Zeul and her team were able to successfully navigate to Themiscyra. Although her companions were killed by the various traps left by the Amazons, Zeul survived and found a suit of armor said to contain the power of Ares. Deciding the claim the armor for her own, Zeul now works for the highest bidder, and that bidder is the Secret Society.

Powers: Fueled by rage, Giganta’s armor enhances her fighting skills and physical stature, as well as raise her strength and durability. Generally, the longer a fight goes on, the more indestructible she becomes.

Notes: Wonder Woman needed someone to sword fight, so I went with a little-used origin of Giganta that involved her being more of an Amazonian foil than a lady with growing powers. I also wanted to keep the origins of the characters diverse, and liked the idea of some powers-that-be trying to replicate Wonder Woman’s powers instead of Superman’s. Visually, I wanted Giganta to contrast with Wonder Woman while still having Greco-Roman vibes. I used a gladiator style to help distinguish her as someone who revels in combat and power, while Wonder Woman is more of a peacekeeper.

Decent look, but the backstory is very meh.

Origin: Midori Ota was not the first on Earth to possess the Oan “green lantern.” Years earlier, another person, Dr. Evan Qward, first received it, but he quickly came to abuse its power, hoping to rule over the Earth with what he deemed a divine gift. The Oan lantern, however, was built with a failsafe against such abuse and disappeared from Qward’s possession, in search of a new host. Soon Qward was driven mad, having become addicted to the power, and spent the rest of his life trying to replicate the abilities of the lantern. Having recently discovered there is a new person using his former “gift,” Qward has taken up with the Secret Society under the name Sinestro in order to kill this new Green Lantern and reclaim what is rightfully his.

Powers: Sinestro has designed a suit and power supply meant to mimic the Green Lantern’s abilities, though it does not exactly achieve this. Instead, he can only deconstruct and manipulate nonliving matter with yellow rays from his gloves.

Notes: I think Sinestro is an important component of the Green Lantern mythos, as he represents the temptation that comes with such power and how easily it can be abused. Although his origin here is fairly different from the original, I think I’ve still kept the essential element of him being a “fallen” Green Lantern who thinks that power should be used to rule over people rather than serve them. While originally his antagonism was mostly an ideological one (since he still had his own power ring), here I’ve added a more direct motivation: he wants his lantern back. I like the notion of such power being addictive. After all, I imagine losing the ability to make whatever you imagine come to life would make anyone pretty angry. Visually, I didn’t want to stray too far from the original Sinestro. He’s a basically an evil Green Lantern, so that should stay the same.

Origin: Shortly before their fateful visit to Mars, Kryptonian explorers briefly visited Earth to determine if its inhabitants were ready for “modification.” After a brief experimentation, it was determined that humans were too savage in their present state, and the Kryptonians erased the evidence of their arrival before moving on to Mars. One experiment lived, however, and found that she could prolong her life by absorbing the “life force” of those around her. As time went on, the power did dwindle and she found she had to more and more frequently absorb others to maintain her life. This persisted for over a thousand years, when she encountered Grodd, who wished her to join the Secret Society in exchange for research into her “condition.” Madame Vandal’s story of alien abduction is not believed (and she never quite remembers it correctly), but she is nevertheless welcomed, as she is indisputably the most powerful member of the Secret Society.

Powers: Vandal has the ability to leech energy from others through physical contact. This rejuvenates her, as well as temporarily elevates her strength and vitality to whatever she’s touched. This effectively makes her as powerful as Superman while fighting him. To fully maintain her presumed immortality, Vandal has to completely drain a person until they die. Also, with some concentration, she can absorb non-biological energy as well (such as kinetic or electrical) and redirect it at her command.

Notes: I combined Parasite’s abilities with a more Vandal Savage origin story, as I think the two work well together. Visually I wanted someone who didn’t look very imposing, hiding their true power. Parasite here is almost like a vampire, slinking in the shadows and lasting as long as she has because most people don’t know her true nature.

Origin: Daughter of a prominent Gotham crime boss, Helena Bertinelli watched her family gunned down during a mafia war. Living in hiding with a foster family, she grew to despise organized crime in all its forms. When she came of age, Helena idolized Batman and wished to gain his favor by taking on the persona of Batgirl. However, Batman was concerned about her brutal methods of crime fighting, and told her he couldn’t waste time training such a person when there is a growing superhuman concern. Still wanting his approval, Helena created a new villain persona, the Huntress, and joined the ranks of the Secret Society with the intent of exposing their mysterious financier. She reasoned that superhumans loyal to the government or a corporate force were far more dangerous than the Justice League, and intends to dismantle their operation by whatever means she can.

Powers: Huntress is an expert in hand-to-hand combat and ranged weaponry. Her goggles allow her night vision and infrared tracking, and her body armor is designed specifically to absorb concussive blows, as well as redirect energy known to be used by many metahumans. Her preferred weapons are a crossbow and collapsible sword.

Notes: I wanted to have one character who rode the line a bit, and the Huntress is a good candidate. While obviously not a real villain, Huntress is to the Secret Society what Power Girl is to the Justice league, at least in that she has ulterior motives. Visually, I wanted someone who took after Batman, so most of what’s she’s wearing is a more practical version of her regular costume. I’m not a fan of people with secret identities and exposed hair, so I gave her a full mask and cut her hair short to fit. I liked the religious imagery of her original costume but felt hanging crosses were a little too on the nose, so I went with a priest’s collar and an overall look that sort of resembles a cardinal.

>sinestro
>human

Ah, yes. Another redesign thread that invariably became a slideshow of Diaz's forays into mental retardation.

Never change, Sup Forums.

Hey way, Huntress is part of the Batfamily isn't she? Well, I guess that means I have to show off these nifty Batfamily redesigns.

NO
NO
NOOO
ALL OF THIS IS NOOOOO

it's hard not to look into the abyss when it screams so loudly

I refuse to believe that's Robin
I'll concede, this looks kinda cool.

Origin: Seeing his parents gunned down by a mugger at age 8, Bruce Wayne developed a particularly strong obsession with lawbreaking and the nature of the criminal mind. Using his vast family fortune, Wayne traveled the world for many years, learning the martial arts and the disciplines of detective work, engineering and stage magic, training under the greatest masters of their fields. When he returned to his city of Gotham, he saw that crime had taken a further turn for the worse, with gangs and the criminally insane taking on bizarre personas and costumes while they ran rampant through the city. Realizing that he could become a sort of lighting rod for the most dangerous of these criminals, Wayne took on the mantle of Batman, a creature of the night that would prey on the fears of the weak minded and attract the aggression of the bolder. His plan worked, and over time his operation expanded to include his trustworthy butler, Alfred, and even more.

Notes: My changes to Batman may seem modest, but the devil’s in the details. I wanted to take his crime fighting style back to his earliest roots and make him a bit spooky. I also wanted to emphasize the bat elements more strongly, not just with the wings and silhouette but the greater focus on sonics and night vision.

The weirdest part of this one is that her left hand has been replaced with a rapier.

Origin: Born into an upper -middle-class Gotham family, Tim Drake had always been fascinated with detectives and forensics, though a career in law enforcement was heavily discouraged by his parents. This did not deter Tim’s self-education, however, and when he was barely 19 he deduced the Batman’s identity as Bruce Wayne. Knowing Wayne’s troubled past, he understood Batman’s motivations, and offered to join in the vigilante’s crusade. Not wanting to dress in a ridiculous costume, Drake put on a mask and a simple red-breasted coat. Annoyed that this “boy wonder” would look down on his methods, Batman gave him the codename “Robin.”

Notes: Batman and Robin should always have a Bad Cop/Good Cop relationship. I’ve always liked the friendship between Rorschach and the Owl from Watchmen, where each guy’s motivation to be a hero’s pretty different, but they find common ground and play off each other’s strengths. Robin is the less cynical of human nature and also takes the whole "superhero” thing less seriously. He grounds Bruce, keeping one foot in reality. Visually I wanted something indicative of The Shadow or the Golden Age Sandman, where the detective elements are more emphasized (his mask, too, is meant to evoke a sort of venetian plague doctor vibe). Robin doesn’t need a utility belt, just pockets.

Origin: Stephanie Brown was only 16 when she discovered her father, Ed Brown, was also known as Edward Nygma, the notorious Riddler, a criminal Batman had never managed to capture. Feeling obligated to thwart his criminal plans with her inside knowledge, Stephanie spent months training and following her father’s escapades, studying his movements and patterns of riddles. To hide her identity to him, she took on the persona of The Spoiler, and vowed to spoil his plans whenever possible. Eventually Stephanie’s efforts paid off, and after anonymously delivering a message to Batman, helped him finally capture the Riddler. Batman, seeing that he had created an orphaned crimefighter, took in Stephanie as his ward to pay for her education.

Notes: Every good magician needs an assistant, and Batgirl fills role of the plucky sidekick nicely. She’s new to the Bat-family and her naivete and youthful vigor serve to keep Batman from becoming too grim. Visually her outfit’s similar to Batman’s, but without the attention-grabbing symbol. Her silhouette’s also a bit softer, and comes off a bit like a flying squirrel, which I like.

Origin: Stephanie Brown wasn’t the first Batgirl. Years earlier, Barbara Gordon, a undergraduate student in criminal science, had secretly yearned for the life of the vigilante. Her father, Commissioner James Gordon, would never see her do police work, so Barbara took on the persona of Batgirl, and modelled herself after the famous crime fighter. Batman did indeed take notice and eventually took her under his wing. However, Batman was not as accustomed to working with others at the time, and sent in the less skilled and experienced Batgirl against the Joker and his henchmen, who overwhelmed the Batgirl and beat her until she was paralyzed from the waist down. Although Batman saved her life, he was convinced that her vigilante days were over. Not to be deterred, however, Barbara went through years of therapy and acclimated herself to Wayne’s cutting-edge prostheses technology. She now uses an exoskeleton to provide limited mobility, and serves as Batman’s operations director and engineer, also offering her occasional skills as a hacker and security specialist. Spending more and more time hidden away with her computers.

Notes: I wanted Barbara to retain her character, because superhero comics needs intelligent, competent female protagonists. I altered her “origin” a bit to be less grotesque and instead focused on the notion that Batman using kids to fight crime is kind of reckless. We see with Stephanie that he’s since taken a different approach and keeps her mainly out of direct harm. I also took Barbara out of a wheelchair, because I felt that in a superhero universe of magic and flying robots, someone with access to Bruce Wayne’s money should be able to get up stairs, regardless of their injuries. I want to present Barbara as someone who has become just as driven and obsessed as Batman. As to whether that’s a good thing (or whether this is the best path for her) remains to be seen.

IT'S TIME

Because guys usually draw them

First Mutation - Temporarily takes on the attributes of organic beings with whom she comes into contact. This includes some physical elements as well as memories.

After her power to absorb the physical strength and memories from others manifested, Anna fled her hometown in Mississippi, living for a short while on the street before being discovered by Xavier. She is terribly confused most of the time, as she has trouble distinguishing her own memories from those that she has absorbed.

Notes - Visually, I wanted a look that felt like someone looking for an identity, and the hipster mullet felt like a right move.

2. Ororo Munroe (age 18)

First Mutation - Ionization of air molecules and absorption of ambient heat

Born in Kenya, but due to various mishaps Ororo found herself as a member of Egyptian militants by the time she was a teenager. Worshipped as a deity due to her incredible powers, she was quickly becoming a warlord before encountering Xavier. After being soundly humbled by Professor X, she came to realize that she was not a goddess, but a misguided youth among many mutants.

Notes - Storm is arrogant, with a streak of stubborn defiance to authority. Visually I went with something close to her punk rock look from the 80s, as well as a few “mutant” attributes beyond just having white hair.

1/2

dear god