How's Your Webcomic? #352

Post your WIPs, pages, character designs, whatever I don't care. I forget what's supposed to be written here.

Prompt: Improvement! Post a panel from your first page compared to a panel from your most recent page, are you pleased with how far you've come? Redraw a panel from your first page if you'd like!

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

myscriptfont.com/
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics
angelfirehime.tumblr.com/
ggz.thecomicseries.com/
youtube.com/user/onairvideo/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=waHuGbyjghA&t=1804s
boards.Sup
instagram.com/mermaid_memer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=5xPvvPTQaMI

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

youtube.com/results?search_query=how to draw comics

bump
good job making the new thread, I know a few people wanted to keep posting in here
>Activity
that's a tough one since some of my earliest are actually better than some of the later ones a few months in.

I do not use a personal web site, but publish on webtoon, tapastic and tumblr.
I'm doing it wrong?
I have already small amount of views, on a personal website I think I would have about 0 view.

Using a webcomic host site like Tapastic is fine, despite what some people say. They're useful for building up your fanbase without having to invest any cash into a personal site. I used to only use Tapastic and Webtoons to host my comic, and even though I have my own site set up now, I still have a lot of readers from webtoons/tapastic

>activity

My gremlin game has always been strong. Though this isn't the first page, but the first with the same two characters.

Bump.
A little dead today, are we?

We're a good christian board going to church and visiting grandma today.

While everybody was at church i enjoyed a quesorito and a 5 dollar box at taco bell in peace. All made in a timely fashion.

Heathen! You will pay for your sins! In about 6 hours when its digested.

when will we see mpreg

using a hosting service like tapastic or whichever other comic hosting sites are out there + social media like tumblr and twitter is fine and actually preferable. if you want to add a bit more personality to your project then get a domain name. they are like $10 a YEAR and you get your own dot com.

just make sure you read the TOS for the hosting sites so you don't accidentally give away ownership of your shit to someone and have to pay royalties to them.

i think the only big issue to worry about is when you start to get too much traffic (unlikely, no one ever gets too much traffic), and the site decides to cut you loose.

Not the comic I'm currently working on, but occasionally I go back and look at a comic I made in high school and redraw panels.

Another one

And another

>hey lil bro have a gun
Funny dialogue. Got a tumblr?

That particular comic is at angelfirehime.tumblr.com/
and links to my other, better stuff are in a fake webring on that page

Okay guys, I need you. Since English isn't my first language, I need some help for the proofreading.

HELP

>on a personal website I think I would have about 0 view
That's a stupid thing to think.

sorry for the dump guise!

No major language errors that I can see on this page. Speech balloons could do with some adjustment though.

Panel 2
Balloon 1: Remove the blank line under "HOLY SHIT!"
Balloon 2: Centre align text, move the line break to "We're || a real band". Balloon could be a little smaller.
Both balloons could be repositioned slightly, as they're forming tangents with the hair, and the border of panel 1.
For the introduction captions, I'd put the name on it's own line, then the job roles underneath, with spaces around each dash.

Panel 3:
Balloon 1: Centre align text, move it so it's not making a tangent with the panel border. Capital T in "YouTube".
Balloon 2: Centre align text, make it a little larger, as the S in So is right up against the edge.

Panel 4: Make the balloon a little bigger, and move the tail to 9 or 10 o'clock, and point it towards Ophelie's face (at the moment it's pointing at her tits).

thanks, will do that! I hope the placement's better on the following pages!

I already a few view now on sites with large traffic and specific with "webcomics readers" or various social on a specific website how can I have?

I think I fixed the grammar errors that someone mentioned previous thread.

English is my first language. Passed wit an A in HS. I have no excuse for my retarded spelling

Anyway. Also fixed an error pointed out by the same guy for this page.

Page 2

Panel 1: "Go set up the gear and merch, and do a sound check! NOW!"

Panel 2: the balloons as they are read in the wrong order; top right reads before bottom left.
Balloon 1: "I also want || a tight setlist!"
Both balloons are making tangents on the panel borders.

Panel 3: Nudge the text up a bit, so "This" isn't so close to the edge. Tangent on the border to panel 1.

Panel 4:
Balloon 1: Text could do with repositioning.
Balloon 2: "I feel her pain."

Panel 5: "By the way, what the fuck..."

Page 3
Panel 5: "He'd better answer this fucking call."

Page 4

Panel 5: You could split Harry's dialogue in two:
Top right: "Well, could you, perhaps..."
Bottom right: "... Play the drums tonight?"
That would fill in the big gap at the top of the panel, and introduce a hesitant pause.

Panel 6: Similarly with Marie.
Balloon 1: "... OK."
Balloon 2: "Only if you make me || an official member || of the band."

Page 5

Panel 1, balloon 2: Capital T in "Then".

Panel 3
Balloon 1: "It's been || the same shit || for months!"
Balloon 2: "I even helped on the recording for the EP. || I composed the drum parts, || and played over that || smegma stained shitbag!"

Panel 5:
"So now, if you try to tell me that I can't be in your fucking band because, according to you, a woman is physically incapable of achieving brutality, go fuck yourse--"

Panel 6:
Balloon 1: reorganise the line breaks, starting with "As co-founder || of Gloryhol..."
Balloon 2: "So yeah. || Welcome to Gloryhol, || Marie de Darthes."

Page 6
No changes here, but see later. To be continued.

I've been only drawing seriously for a year, and now I'm attempting a comic. Here's the first page I did today. Fuck, am I gonna make it?

Shit, it's still a little rough around the edges but I'll fix those things later.

>tfw when you've been drawing for 10 years and isn't nearly as good as this

blog?

finished a new page of GGZ, I hope yall like it.

But be honest, is this ok for all audiences? or did i go to far in a few places?

the idea is that nina is getting turned on by people she absolutely hates and hates the idea of but seeing them get dressed for the cheerleader tryouts does something to her...

help!

I want to keep this comic all ages, ive even been avoiding curse words like the plague! but i my hve gotten a bit carried away a bit....

starting a comic. rough draft of the first page, I'm stuck on the palette, it's supposed to be at night but I'm stuck on how to color the trees/rocks/stream.

I'm really not ready for this.

Go to /ic/ and they'll teach you how to draw. Read the sticky and practice using the resources the sticky provides, mainly the books. Then worry about comics when you can actually draw

If you feel you have peaked, just draw for fun.

If you can't do that. Then quit.

This might be the best page on this thread even the way it is now, IMO
If you're showing panty shots and overt sexuality like that then you've gone a little past "for all ages". You can make her get turned on, just be subtle about it, like maybe make her act more catty when she gets turned on or make subtle sexual jokes.
There's something charming about this guy. Keep at it, don't be too hard on yourself

Did you go back and fix all these pages? because they all look really really good now, saved all of em.

I like this page the most so far: keep up the good work man

How the fuck did you get those mountains to look so good. Also how the fuck does one draw trains?

I can draw a bit. grabbed all the stuff from /ic/ and then some, I guess I'll go back and check the perspective and try to find some night forest scenes to reference and practice some more.

Continued.

Actually, just spotted on Page 6
Panel 3, balloon 1: missing tail.
Panel 4, balloon 1: line break "everything, but || it's a start..."

Page 7

Panel 4: "Set this stage on fire".

Panel 5, balloon 2: "We're gonna destroy this venue!"
Straight tails would suit the dialogue better; see below.

Page 8:
No changes.

Most of the issues I can see with the lettering are with the positioning of the balloons, tails, and text within them.

The balloons are all perfect ovals, but the text within them often doesn't fit the shape well. Text should be centred, not left-aligned. Controlling where the line breaks go will help, but you also need to be aware of how each line will read.
If you make the balloons with 4 control points and adjust their positions and handles, you can customise the shapes to fit the text better, instead of trying to force a block of square text into a round balloon.

Make sure the text is centred properly within the balloon, so it isn't too close to one side or touching the edges. A customised balloon shape helps here, over a perfect oval.

Watch the positions of the balloons, so they aren't forming tangents with panel borders and elements within the panels.
Vertical positioning trumps horizontal, so a balloon in the top right will read before one in the bottom left.

Tails should point to people's faces.
A single straight tail has more energy/is more immediate than a curved one.
Ideally, they should emerge as if they were drawn with a straight line starting at the centre of the balloon. So, perpendicular to the balloon edge.
Again, watch the positioning for tangents.

Plan the lettering at the layout stage; don't try to force it to fit in whatever gaps you've left. That way it's not covering important art elements; you also don't need to draw anything in areas that will be covered by a balloon.

Don't skimp on or rush the lettering; be just as fastidious with it as with your artwork.

why? its just low tier weeb shit and its not even drawn well, the faces look like shit and the anatomy is garbage. the robot also looks like flat hot trash.

the person was obviously trying to draw manga but failed and he didn't post on Sup Forums where that page belongs because everyone on Sup Forums would of made fun of him for how bad the art looks

so he posted it here thinking the worst looking failed anime attempts would look better than any random american webcomic/cartoon artist stuff on any given day

but he was wrong, it looks like shit

i dont think your going to make it user, maybe stop being obsessed with anime and give american comic book style or cartoons style a try. you dont have anything to loose man, the attempted anime manga look doesnt work for you at all

as it stands now your work is shit/10

im not being mean, just helpful and honest man

thanks for the help, i have to run now, i will be back on here later on tonight/early in the mourning

peace!

Bones, shut up. This is better than anything you could do.

Noice train and mountains, you're pretty good at drawing scenery and props so far. Your character art could use a lot of work, though. Your poses are very stiff, adn there are times when the dude's anatomy looks kinda wonky. Do some figure drawings and anatomy study, they could really help you.
Don't worry about making it for now, you're still learning. Just try to have fun and improve your art.

Are you stuck on coloring the trees/rocks/stream because you don't know what color to make them or because you don't know how to render/paint them?

what color, though I'll take whatever advice. might post it on /ic/ once I clean it up a bit more.

I like this so far. You do have some errors. I don't know what you see you have to fix. You may have something in mind. But here is my 2 cents.

Your perspective on the chair is screwing up the anatomy of the guy sitting in it. Look at his knees. Fucker needs to man spread the fuck out.

Also note the shoulders. He's resting, I don't know how tired he is in this scene, but the shoulders could droop down a bit more. It looks like you were keeping the shoulder line with some form of perspective, but it came out stiff.

I'm no pro, thats just what I see.

I need to read that sometime. I remember wanting to but it was just a little.. it demanded a lot of me. kinda dense. but i love stuff like that.
>Fake webring
oh that is tops

you still want martial artists to be plural

pretty good, but can he play card games?

Actually, I learned most of my anatomy from copying Spiderman and just drawing from life. I like both American stuff and the manga. I really don't care where comics come from as long as I can read it and it has good art and a good story. Ironically, I used to think that backgrounds and perspective were where I shit and I was good at characters, so I forced myself to put my make all my digital drawings have a fully realized background. One year later, I've realized that humans are much harder than backgrounds, so I've been grinding anatomy for the past 3 months. I've decided to at least start the comic so that I won't fall into the rut of saying "When I'm good I'll eventually do it, but first I gotta practice this."
I'm still practicing on the side, but not as much anymore.

generally speaking, to make something night-toned, you wanna add blue to it, and darken.

Hey-soos. I can look over and over my pages and something small will always pop up that I missed.

everyone whos posted in this thread so far cant draw and that makes me sad.

we're gonna get there user, you and I- gonna make it.

Okay, hope you don't mind me vandalizing your art.
First thing is that you seem to be going for a cool color scheme, but you're using a pretty yellow-ish green, albeit a dark shade of it. Trade that in for a bluer green, as that may better fit.
A purple might do well for your trees, as I assume they're actually supposed to be brown, and in low light browns can take on a purplish tint. Similar with rocks, take whatever color they would be in normal light, and make it into a cooler hue. The stream looks fine imho. Hope this helps.

Ahh, stiffness. Yeah, I've noticed my drawings are bit stiff and the poses come out weird. I think it might be because I don't have a clear enough library of poses in my head to kinda wing it. I'll look back over this page and try to fix the mistakes, thank you so much. BTW, do you guys have any good sites to find reference poses because I'm terrible at photography and can't take a picture to save my life.

Hey hyw. What are some comics pages that you've really enjoyed the panel flow?

>try not to avoid
Ugh, I meant try to avoid. Hope my handwriting's readable

hey pretty cool.
english is hard.

I love you

Oh yeah, he's a card game shark. He's supposed to be a mechanic who gets himself into lots trouble by being overly stubborn and curious about everything so he has to resort to tactical tomfoolery to get himself out of it.

Figure drawing.
youtube.com/user/onairvideo/videos

If you can't get a good reference, then think of the body in spheres and cylinders. Then use a perspective grid to place....I can't describe it with words. Loomis has a good few pages of lining a body up with perspective.

Eh, it's not like the people who are actually decent at art get much attention anyways, people would much rather shit on Dewd than give critique art with any effort in it. Most of the artists from here who I actually like haven't posted here in ages.

awesome

Thanks!
I've mostly been using a combination of this guy
youtube.com/watch?v=waHuGbyjghA&t=1804s
and Loomis as my methods of construction. I tend to use more organic shapes like cylinders than boxes because when all my drawings based on boxes always turn out stiff. Or maybe I'm just a huge faggot, I dunno

Well, I'm going to be without internet for a while. I thought I share a motion comic I've been working on. Then I'll stop spamming you guys with my shit

It lacks a lot of in-betweens.

Forgot to attach the file D:

Looks cool as fuck dude, I like. You got some place you're hosting it yet?

Story goes. MC made a phone call to get her back to the radio station. Well, a space vampire was nearby and hi-jacked her body.

It eventually winds up where he gets the things soul to the robotic parts of her body. Then amputates it. Later burns the vampire thing.

Later.

I will soon. Its under construction. Not major construction. I just have to learn a bit a code to get some things to work.

suitable for a cell phone commercial from 2006! i love it

Angelfire Hime as a project is dense enough that I have been putting off on working on it.

bump

yo, Baph-chan guy
hers has no apostrophe, and witch has no e
also I love your comic

turbo bump

and anudda bump

I spent almost all day yesterday playing zelda, and all day today helping my poor old mom with home improvement. between that, the podcast I listen to in lieu of church (the big guy doesnt give a shit where I am), and fox sunday night, I haven't even watched my daily internet videos yet.

getting somewhere thanks to you

cheers

Hey guys I just came out of a freak out I had on /r9k/ and I'm feeling very lost. How do you handle jealousy over other comic artists?

it sounds a little hippy-dippy but it helps if you realize the delineations between people are pretty arbitrary. i wouldnt go as far as to quote i am the walrus, but basically anyone could be you, and you could be anyone. don't let the you you happen to be distract you from that, you'll never be someone-enough to be happy. Just be happy for them, knowing they get to be that person and enjoy that. You've got yours too, plenty of people envy you.

the only thing that frustrates me is seeing art that i couldnt possibly learn the FIRST THING about mimicking, but then you just have to remember that every step is a step, with a step before it and a step after, and you can't skip it but you still know it's there.

Competition. I decide to fuck up their shit. Even if I don't /really/ win anything I usually get some rage art out of it.

Don't respond to he's some autist that bullies an underage kid's Instagram. He's been shitting up art thread on /r9k/ > here if you want proof.

Thanks, that helps
See that's what I was doing but I needed some alternatives to ragging
Don't you dare link that fucking thread fuck you man

sound slike you might have some issues, but as long as you're civil here there's no reason to hold conjecture against you

Why are you bullying a child's Instagram? That's not something good artists do desu...

I want to do a classic 22-page comic issue, but I'm really struggling with fitting the entire story in without it feeling extremely rushed. Anybody have tips/advice?

lol git gud faggot

I didn't do anything, I just got slightly irritated that she made comics with plain pencil and paper and that's it

Link me to this scary boogie man's Instagram and I'll judge whether you're overreacting

Do what writers do- Simply shit out all our ideas on the page and don't worry about technique when making the first rough draft. Then just heavily analyze and trim what you don't need and add what you don't need to make a second draft. If it still doesn't quite work, repeat the process until you've refined the comic pages to what you want

your*
add what you need*
sorry my nazi autismo side took over me

most of those 22-pagers are if anything too decompressed

let's not, shall we? in the history of Sup Forums this has never once worked out. leave drama where it is.

Fuck I didn't do that correctly boards.Sup Forums.org/r9k/thread/35317319#top
Oops, my figure slipped
Here's a link that was posted in the thread instagram.com/mermaid_memer/
>I didn't do anything
You literally said you bullied her untill she took down all the pictures of herself you enormous faggot

Decompressed? What do you mean? As in, they drag too long?