What are some epic animated movies? And I'm talking about the literal meaning of "epic", not the meme

What are some epic animated movies? And I'm talking about the literal meaning of "epic", not the meme.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=t6e_jsR8xCA&ab_channel=JustinBieber
youtube.com/watch?v=Pld6fHqHVLA&t=192s
youtube.com/watch?v=2_JlxZg1f7k
youtube.com/watch?v=cAp1p6ETdTc
unshavedmouse.com/2015/05/28/the-prince-of-egypt-1998/).
youtube.com/watch?v=s0RP6w5Aoy0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You just posted it, really no animated movie has ever come close to the scale of Prince of Egypt.

I remember watching this movie at my grandmas house in the late 90s. The scene where there's some sort of painting or wall depicting Egyptians throwing babies in the water for the crocodiles to eat gave me nightmares for years.

I used to watch this movie every time I went to the village where my grandmother lived. This was the only VHS, at least, of any animated movies. I watched this movie a lot of times.

That Ralph Bakshi version of Lord of the Rings?

What is Disney's equivalent to The Prince of Egypt?

The Black Cauldron and The Last Unicorn too then.

Are there any good animated movies that take place during the Roman Empire or even the Republic?

>the village where my grandmother lived

where are you from user?

Spain. The village's name is "Molinicos"

found the exact scene that scared me as a kid if anyone's curious. Specifically it's at the very end right before he wakes up.
>youtube.com/watch?v=t6e_jsR8xCA&ab_channel=JustinBieber

I should re watch this movie, it looks really good. Also it's an earlier dream works film, which is promising.

gotcha, just curious because no one uses "village" in the states.

How to Train Your Dragon 2, maybe?

Rameses did nothing wrong.

Hunchback of Notre Dame.

The Tragedy of Man is exactly what you are looking for.

This one's pretty good for what you're looking for. Kinda scaled down a little to more of a fairytale than an epic, but still decent use of epic elements and a bit more serious than most fairytale movies today.

Would Secret of Kells fit here? I haven't actually seen it yet so I'm not sure if it's more of a fairy tale.

Strangely enough, I think Secret of Kells may hit most of the necessary points to qualify.

The first one was better, the second was shit. And it totally ruined best Viking mentor by setting him up to be gay despite him being from a culture where the idea of homosexuality that we have today wouldn't exist

It's been a long time since I had a class on the subject, but:

>adventures forming an organic whole through their relation to a central heroic figure and through their development of episodes important to the history of a nation or race
>Begins in medias res.
>The setting is vast, covering many nations, the world or the universe.
>Begins with an invocation to a muse (epic invocation)
>Begins with a statement of the theme.
>Includes the use of epithets (repeating phrases)
>Shows divine intervention on human affairs.
>Features heroes that embody the values of the civilization.
>Often features the tragic hero's descent into the Underworld or hell.
>The hero generally participates in a cyclical journey or quest, faces adversaries that try to defeat him in his journey and returns home significantly transformed by his journey.
>The epic hero illustrates traits, performs deeds, and exemplifies certain morals that are valued by the society the epic originates from.

I think Secret of Kells covers these points at least as well as Prince of Egypt does, if you don't hold a couple of them too strictly because of the translation to film form and certain other limitations.

Not the whole movie, but Tragedy of Man has a very good long segment during the Roman Empire.

>despite him being from a culture where the idea of homosexuality that we have today wouldn't exist
They're also from a culture where the word "Viking" is taken to a cartoonish extreme and they fight and ride fucking dragons. Not to mention Hiccup is a modern day speaking kid thrown into an older era. Fuck off with this "M-muh realistic accuracy!" in fantasy shit.

Well, the people of made Prince of Egypt did also make Joseph, King of Dreams and Sinbad, Legend of the Seven Seas, but of course those didn't turn out quite as great. Still pretty similar, though.

I wish this was a genuine animated movie

youtube.com/watch?v=Pld6fHqHVLA&t=192s

Asterix and the Twelve tasks, or any other Asterix movies. They're more comedies then an epics but they do take place during the Roman Republic, although I'm not sure if all of them involve Rome directly.

This one might be a stretch but I'm going to throw it out there.

Well I dunno what everyone defines an epic as but that's a good one.

I think it qualifies

I know it's not what you had in mind, but muppets are technically Sup Forums.

If Garfield embodies the bewilderment and a meaningless life, what is Jon? What are the telltale signs that informs Jon's philosophical standpoint? His approach, what style of thinking he represents? Jon is decipted as being grounded in a material world, a world of things he is surrounded by objects and touches these objects and interacts with them. The newspaper, his chair, his end tale. His clothes, all these physical things make up Jon's world. In some sense, even his cat Garfield is an object to him. A thing. The first ideology that comes to mind when thinking of objects and the tangible world is pragmatism. Is Jon Arbuckle a pragmatist?

Not just that scene though, the entire movie is an epic literally spanning human history

OP, if you're reading this watch it right now, someone uploaded the entire rip to YT

youtube.com/watch?v=2_JlxZg1f7k

youtube.com/watch?v=cAp1p6ETdTc
Do not worship the Golden Dory.

Oh yeah, the entire movie fits into the definition of epic perfectly, no doubt about it. But that guy was asking for something relating to Rome specifically, and ToM isn't exclusively about Rome.

Thanks! I'll give it a watch later; it's 1AM and I have to work tomorrow.

DreamWorks forgot handdrawn cartoons existed. At least they got out of their Shrek phase.

The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled edition

The Last Unicorn is more of a chivalric/medieval romance.

Weren't same-sex relationships a thing among viking men?

Doesn't Moana fit those standards?

Yeah, it seems it does.

I'd say that Bakshi in general does trump OP on a few counts, but barely. In terms of animation I hesitate to say that anything beats the Prince of Egypt. (According to this blog that reviews animated movies, it managed to pull the highest score of any he reviewed on basically all counts:unshavedmouse.com/2015/05/28/the-prince-of-egypt-1998/).

Bakshi's films, however, I believe have a greater power to evoke emotion from the viewer because they are unflinching and absurdist and funny and awful and horrifying and beautiful all packed into one.

I mean, the reality is that a kid's movie just simply can't match the power and raw emotion of this scene from Fritz the Cat: youtube.com/watch?v=s0RP6w5Aoy0

That scene with the pool balls, man, holy shit.

Fpbp.

Might I recommend a Journey to the West animation?

OP wasn't asking for emotionally powerful films though, he was asking for epics in the classical sense of the word.

So while Bakshi's stuff is undeniably emotional, much of it is only debatably epic. I'm not sure if Fritz the Cat would be an epic, for example, mostly based on the idea that Fritz is in no way a hero or a positive role model to the culture he belongs to, and at the end of his journey he winds up having learned nothing. Fritz might be a good movie, but it's kind of an anti epic.

At first, I thought this was fake, then I looked it up