Does your significant other read comics...

Does your significant other read comics? Mine saw the trailer fro X-Men Apocalypse and decided she wanted to read every X-Men comic ever, in publication order, so we're doing that. Just got to X-Factor. Her favorite X-Character is Bobby Drake and her OTP is, I shit you not, Molecule Man and Volcana.

How about you, anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1sdzd2mbO8IF7E2Epohd-yq7mDaAG6MB_ceMdvGv7-Hw/pub
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just Calvin and Hobbes, she's more into manga.

Calvin and Hobbes almost feels like cheating. It seems like everybody loves it.

>she wanted to read every X-Men comic ever, in publication order, so we're doing that.
Whenever I'm tempted to read all of a series I think "what about X-Men" and immediately come back to my senses.
You are both braver Sup Forumsmrades than I. God Speed. Excalibur's the fucking tits btw.

My girlfriend is really into Marvel stuff. Specifically Iron Man, Avengers, Young Avengers, and Hulk. I've also given her a lot of other stuff to read. She despises DC other than Batman, and likes a fair bit of manga.

Hasn't tried anything outside of Marvel for American comics, though, which is sad for me. But, so long as she likes what she's read, I'm happy.

It's been a wild ride so far. We're covering major secondary appearances (team-ups, guest appearances) as well as all of the core books. We're also keeping tabs on X-Villains as we go, since they often show up in other comics. Had to make the call that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver count as Avengers, for the most part. We're dropping in on them for marriagers, and of course the nonsense with the kids. Both original Secret Wars as well, since they have a lot of tie ins. And the graphic novels, and the solo runs. No idea how we're going to handle Deadpool.

We've also read basically all of Captain Britain, outside of the Otherworld run. That's been an odd one, since there's so many X-Relevant characters there, while definitely not being an X-Book. I tell you what, though: it was a fucking trip when Jaspers showed up in Uncanny v1 #200. We both flipped.

>Her favorite X-Character is Bobby Drake and her OTP is, I shit you not, Molecule Man and Volcana

Your GF has good taste. Try to convince her to stop before the heartbreak that is Bendis, though.

>Molecule Man and Volcana
What's wrong with that? They were really adorable in Secret Wars.

I live in the Midwest, it's hard to find a girl here who reads at all.

MMxVolcana is a top tier OTP. Your girlfriend has great taste.

I'm doing the same thing, OP, and just got started. What order are you using?

>read every X-Men comic ever, in publication order
My friend did that. He said it was easy up through the early-mid 80s. Got a bit more difficult in the late 80s. Became absolute hell for the entirety of the 90s. He spent more time trying to get through the 90s than he did through all of the 60s-80s + 00s-current.

Nothing is wrong with them, although Shooter pushes them hard as the overbearing mother/milksop type. She (and I) just like them because they're happy together. It's just not a common ship to sail, you know?

Building my own timeline. Currently revamping it to fill in some holes, parse things by both reading order and importance and to make certain changes (counting SQ and Quicksilver as Avengers, etc).

Oh, I'm well aware. I did a rough plot of it on a gantz chart, and the 90s are just a huge explosion.

Here's an unchecked version of the current order for you. It'll be updated on a more or less daily basis, so check back in.

docs.google.com/document/d/1sdzd2mbO8IF7E2Epohd-yq7mDaAG6MB_ceMdvGv7-Hw/pub

>No idea how we're going to handle Deadpool.
"Don't" is always an option.
That ain't a knock on Wade either. X-Men's a wake-up call for me primarily because soon enough it's not only X-Men. It's X-Factor, and New Mutants, and X-Force, and maybe Wolverine, and I'd probably have to re-read Excalibur. Which would be fine in itself, but then the 90s hit and that 5 teams worth of lore you read, cataloged and got invested in stops mattering. Between X-Men #1 releasing and Claremont leaving and the events and the cartoon and the bankruptcy the structure falls apart.
Deadpool got his first ongoing years after all this. His comic was born into a totally different creative landscape to the one that produced everything you've read so far. Not saying it's shit or unreadable or that you should abandon the project, just that you may want to adjust your expectations once Lobdell's name shows up. Don't feel shitty if it stops being fun and you want to quit, you've already seen all the lasting material so wouldn't be missing much.

Oh, we're here for the ride, not the quality. The problem with Deadpool is that he's highly X-Relevant, but essentially evolves into his own franchise.

But, yeah. At the end of the day, we know it gets messy. And that's fine. X-Men is our soap opera. You don't watch soap operas because they're consistently, or even often good. You watch them because you watch them, and you're in for the whole wild, messy ride, highs and lows and utter derailments included.

To put it into perspective, we read X-Men vs Obnoxio the Clown. We read that awful X-Men and the Micronauts series. We're all in on New Mutants, and we'll read X-Force even when it turns into a reality TV show. We're going to read Marvel Comics Presents, which is really just another Wolverine comic. Fallen Angels is on the docket. We're even dropping in on Power Pack to keep tabs on the Morlocks.

My ex did...

We're also reading the X-Men charity comics, the pack-ins (with toys, games) and we watched Firestar's first appearance in Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. Because, basically, Marvel treats everything as canon, a fact that Spiderverse really upped the ante on. Hell, that event had us IN the Amazing Friends universe.

On that note, we just read Heroes for Hope Starring thhe X-Men. That comic was way, way darker than expected.

Thanks, I've bookmarked this.

God no. I'm not dating some lame nerd.

>outside of the Otherworld run.
You mean the Black Knight arc immediately before the suit change?
I eventually got around to it, after Excalibur. It's alright, not worth going out of your way for though. Although the finishing stretch (after Brian leaves the story) gets pretty metal.

If you're still reading by the 00s maybe give it a look, I think a character or two might've shown up in X-Force eventually. Plus Dane joins a few of the Excalibur replacements so maybe there are callbacks I didn't notice at the time. Also if you like obscure britbong lore Knights of Pendragon's pretty lit.

Pendragon is coming up for us. Gonna have to look into it, since Brian is invloved, but it's likely going to get classified as completionist material.

>all these normalfags

christ no wonder Sup Forums is in its current state

Soap operas feature real people. Real people grow, change, age, retire and die. Corrie's older than X-Men and is still churning out episodes weekly. Except Ken Barlow ain't 21 anymore.
Marvel got popular in the first place because the characters were "real people", that's what makes the paradigm shift so noticeable. Just don't go making any blood oaths, y'hear? Rides are meant to be fun. And sometimes you can't tell what made it fun until it's not there anymore.

Yeah Brian shows up for like 2 fucking issues. It's a glorified special guest appearance.
There's zero X-Men relevance IIRC. A villain makes a 1-page cameo in Legion's 2012 comic, that's it. But if you've liked Captain Britain as a franchise in and of itself, go for it. It's colorful, it's steeped in Otherworld stuff and the bobby that's always on his arse is a main character. Also it's by babby DnA, if that holds any relevance.

Who's your favourite Knight of Pendragon user?

user, are you okay? This makes no sense as a response.

We're reading in publication order, so it's not likely that we'll go back to it before we catch up to the current runs. We bailed on it about halfway through when it became clear that it was going to hold zero relevance. Only other comic we ducked out on early was Dazzler, and for largely the same reason: just a world of its own. We still read the X-Relevant bits, though, including the graphic novel and the Beauty and the Beast mini.

>Significant other is in for a world of hurt once she starts reading X-Men comics from the 90s and 00s.

I would recommend Majorie Liu's Astonishing X-Men for Iceman fans.

Oh, we'll be reading Astonishing, along with everything else. And that's good to hear, because she likes Liu's work on Monstress. As it is, she's thrilled that there's going to be an ongoing Iceman solo. We're going to go buy that one when it comes out, although we don't get to read it for literally years.

Also, we're both fairly excited to get to the Whedon/Morrison.Ellis runs.

At the same time, we both know Austen and Bendis are coming. S'all good. Some of the best characters so far have been rescues. She loves what Claremont did for Carol Danvers, for example, and we both agree that he saved Jean from mediocrity.

I had too many ways to react to know where to start and spent far longer ruminating on it than any sane user should. Amidst the myriad options that's as ideal, concise & thoughtful a reaction as I can muster. It'll make sense eventually. Maybe.

tldr I'm a pretentious twat, don't worry about it.