Just Color Grade My Shit Up

Are there any examples of recent genre films that do NOT use color grading, or at least keep it low profile?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eNykS4VlnwE
youtube.com/watch?v=gtktg9hbC_g
youtu.be/TGRDYpCmMcM
originaltrilogy.com/topic/Toy-Story-on-35mm-and-other-early-Pixar-films-for-that-matter/id/46410/page/2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you're basically asking if any new movies are pre-digital

I wish it was kept to the minimum That was one of the worst things abut Fury Road.

Hateful 8 didn't have colorgrading, but the cinematography and the lighting, down to how the film was processed were so specific and professionally done that it looked like one nonetheless

color grading is usually unnecessary, your example looks amazing, if it were color graded it would look boring and shitty

curious thing about that is that going by early promo pics the movie was at one point going to look all grey and lifeless, like every other hollywood post-apocalyptic movie. at some point george miller decided to do the opposite and amp up the color instead

haven't seen the b&w version, though, so no idea how well that works

youtu.be/eNykS4VlnwE It seems pretty good. Fury Road was a gorgeous movie in any case.

It was like in Episode I and III of Star Wars, wen they used a lot of practical effects and maquetes, but they altered the visuals in post-production so much that everything looked digital and fake.

Sorry, I meant Episode II of Star Wars, not Episode I. That movie actually used real film.

have you seen what raw footage coming out of a professional standard camera looks like these days?

you don't want to watch a film in ungraded log c mate. i promise.

This, literally every film that isn't shot on film has color grading.
Also thinking that grading is necessarily "bad" is quite retarded

I don't think that's the best comparison since the movie does not have post. Basically, what was shot on film is the final look.

Hateful 8 was color graded. But they used a purely photo-chemical process with no digital intermediary.

this

I haven't, but you surely can post examples since you're not simply bluffing and relying on Sup Forums pretending to totally know what you're talking about

It's basically all flat and grey, but it retains all the visual information so you can apply the look you want in post.

you can't

even the few that are shot on film are color graded.

color grading is that cancer that is killing the movies

not only that, they're ruining the OLDER movies too. god, I hate this fucking bullshit so much

>hurr durr these few examples are the reason why color grading is bad!
You are aware that even the pic on your left has color grading too? You are aware that almost every film from the last two decades has color grading?
99% of time you don't even know it's there, just because a few people misuse it doesn't mean it's all bad.

t. colorgradist

Wow. Is this just because there's no effort put into proper exposure planning since they know they can "fix" it later, or are digital sensors simply unable to provide the same look as regular film?

They still have to expose the picture right, otherwise you would just change the levels and contrast of an overexposed picture. If a light is blaring so hard that the white balance is completely overblown, no amount of color grading can fix that back.

>few examples
youtube.com/watch?v=gtktg9hbC_g
there are hounded examples like this. fucking cologradists scum.

>"waaaaaah every film should look as natural and realistic as possible, even if it's a film about false reality waaaaaaah"
Also, both color grades of The Matrix are not particularly good.

That's not the point retard. Studios are retro-actively changing the look and feel of movies on re-release and it's gay and Lucas-tier as fuck.

don't reply to him, he probably works on the bluray releases all the time, and loves playing around with instagram filters on classic films.

You most probably know of 5 examples tops
Show me examples of "classic" films being ruined by modern color grading.

stalker. please numale, please try to defend it you fucking piece of shit.

Colour grading is an essential component to post-production, even in the pre-digital age. Back though, they simply played the film, and applied different RGB lens in front of the projector to get the desired look. Though I may be simplifying it.

The two frames on the bottom is from this years newly made Stalker restoration, thank you for proving my point.

obligatory

>what criterion did is okay because the other company did it better!

thanks for proving my point, retard. or are you going to defend the criterion release, you fucking numale cuck?

Fuck. That shot is beautiful

All movies shot on digital use color grading. The basic premise of your question doesn't make any sense.

You you really mean to ask if is there are any movies shot digitally that appear with natural coloring. And the answer to that would basically be every single one where you don't notice anything.

No, that's literally how you get the most information captured on the film. After that you can edit is to look however you like it.

Or you could apply different exposure and white balance settings on the camera for every scene and then hope the end result looks good without editing.

Now that is kino.

The reason why the default look of digital film is very washed out, gray, and low contrast is because it provides the most information to work with. The point is the production is supposed to take that basic input and do proper grading to give it the right look.

But then you have the retards over at marvel who keep all the settings on default and all their movies end up looking ugly as fuck because of it.

Mosfilms did the restoration first at the start of the year.
youtu.be/TGRDYpCmMcM

It was a master prepared by MosFilms who are in the process of restoring their films.

Also, almost all the Disney movies and shorts have been massively touched on bluray.

Even early Pixar movies have lost the film texture:
originaltrilogy.com/topic/Toy-Story-on-35mm-and-other-early-Pixar-films-for-that-matter/id/46410/page/2

That greenshift looks more like they didn't bother to do a conversion from p3 to rec709 for the tv release

>disney

And all films shot on film used color timing.

Except that's super cheap digital desaturation and cant compare with proper black and white films

It's just as cheap as normal digital color grading.
And a protip: proper digital color grading is not at all "cheap"

Jesus... Is this some flash indie movie?

Godfather didn't have any color grading if you saw it in the theatres

movies shot on film were graded too

you're either dumb or baiting

this being Sup Forums I'm guessing it's the first option

It looks digital and fake because those practical effects were just miniature sets they greenscreened up to full size and then added to with full CG parts (like the corridor to palpatine's office)

Sword In The Stone was one of my fave films growing up. This still hurts.

It's like a terrible emulator filter!