Comic book adaptation

>comic book adaptation
>reference to character's comic book name/costume/etc. is made
>they immediately make fun of it and call it stupid

Why is this so common? I think it's happened in every Marvel Netflix show so far and it pisses me off.

It's happened in almost every MCU movie.

Casuals think comics are stupid. Disney is capitalizing on that thought instead of making the public respect comics.

>they call it stupid
>they use it anyway

Because that's realistic behavior.

I don't recall Matt ever making fun of his devil schtick unless it was just to play along with his civilian cover. He always seemed dead serious about it.

i'm right with you, but isn't it the whole deal with JJ? that she rejects her super-hero past? so it totally makes sense that she would have those scenes (the one with the costume, for exemple)

didn't notice it in DD

She rejects her super-hero past NOW, but even in the flashback when she wanted to play the game she saw the comics costume and said, "I'm not wearing that" or some such.

They do it because dressing up in a costume is, in a world even vaguely connected to the real one, fucking dumb nine times out of ten.

I mean, if you're wearing anything less common than something you can pick up anywhere and that people wouldn't be surprised to find in your bag or closet, you're just begging to be found out. May as well just fight in whatever is comfortable to you, or not waste time changing when there's a situation that needs your attention.

Yeah I think it's just catering to fucking casuals. It pisses me the fuck off too OP. We don't get that in any other genre either.

It's because normie/casuals want to watch something cool but feel embarrassed liking something that's not normie to like. And the writers tend to be normies adapting the most shallow elements for their own purposes.

Not Matt, but there was a reference made to the Kingpin costume (Vanessa said her ex wore a white suit with an ascot) and they made fun of it.

Because you either accept the whole superhero shtick, or you don't, and ever since Brian Singer imposed his leather fetish on the X-Men, movie studios have been angling for people who don't, because people doing actiony stuff in tight and/or brightly coloured clothing is too silly to be serious.

Now, of course, none of these people who reject 'tights' watch sports, because they aren't hypocrites.

Casuals and normies are not the same thing you filthy stupid casual

I recall early spiderman comics poking fun at the silliness of it all. The exact words were "corny" I think.

Because dressing up a Black man as Wonder Woman just doesn't work. Even if you give him pants and a canary yellow shirt.

that works though

I dont know why they called this show Luke Cage, pretty sure thats the only episode he appeared in. Should have titled the show Black Guy in a Hoodie.

because he was still luke cage,even if wearing a hoodie wtf

>escapes jail looking like that in 2008 - 012
>heroes are popular now so he decides to capitalize on it
>Luke makes 'Hero for Hire' to earn money for his gf and uses that as his costume for showmanship
>still cocky because now he's literally immortal
>his gf dies and he hangs it up thinking it's his fault for being a show boat ass hole
>becomes the calm Luke in the show
>Pops actually has a reason to call him Power Man now

It could've been that simple

This show would have been so good if he wore that for the rest of the season.

Luke Cage is fun, the guy in the show was boring as fuck

This "grounded and realistic" meme needs to fuck off into the garbage

If you want to make a "grounded and realistic" TV series then fucking direct sitcoms on NBC or something. This is a superhero story

Sup Forums really only cares about the costumes. Narrative and all that shit is for normie cucks.

>>escapes jail looking like that in 2008
>>Luke makes 'Hero for Hire' to earn money for his gf and uses that as his costume for showmanship

Because nothing says hiding from the popo like "Showmanship"

>grounded and realistic
That was a Nolan conceit that only ever got lip service. None of the MCU properties are realistic or grounded.

The point is that he's still a cocky asshole at this point and didn't really care. Or if it's that bad make HfH an A-Team like deal

MCU Luke isn't a cocky asshole though.
Yeah a tiara and a bright yellow shirt works for a guy so flamboyant and cocky to believe that his sense of style is beyond ridicule and that he could work it would be a great work around the whole "durr nobody would wear cape costumes" but the MCU Cage is just kind of a "I'm jus tryin' to not go back to jail and keep my head down" it doesn't work for him.
The Netflix shows are.

How many decades until things can be fun again and people stuck sucking gritty teat.

Except that's boring and not interesting to watch at all. The show was carried by more flamboyant and out there characters because Luke was so bland

Hide in plain sight.

>implying normie television is any more realistic than capeshit

The show was carried by Cottonmouth in the first half, and fumbled by Diamondback in the second.

>respect for comics as an art
> capeshit

That negates the whole point of being a hero though. If you are starting out on the basis that Luke Cage is just trying to get money rather than help people he ends up being a terrible character. Jessica Jones was a detective who was trying to help people but also used her skills to keep the lights on.

You want to turn Luke Cage into a Booster Gold but without the "timetraveler pretending to be materialistic" angle.

I know. Diamondback and Black Mariah were dumb but far more entertaining to watch

>The Netflix shows are.
Daredevil might make some claim to being grounded and realistic, but it also has multinational terrorist ninjas. The other two shows aren't grounded or realistic at all.

Dave Sim pls.

Yeah its interesting how the Batman name and motif are taken completely serious by the main characters even though Nolan's trilogy is supposedly too serious and gritty.

To be fair, who the fuck still wears ascots?

Kingpin does.

I mean it's not like Batman Begins didn't have that too.

Look at the Ant Man movie. In the trailers, Ant Man admits the name is dorky. In the actual film, he says it proudly in the same scene.
It's a standard trick where the characters voice the concerns of the audience, easing them in to get them to buy the concept.

Avengers 1 was just the "can they pull off this movie?" or "This is gonna bomb" comments making up the entire plot and theme so we can cheer them on when they do form up and work together.

He starts out in a materialistic place. Once he loses his gf he realizes the error of his ways and calms down. The Netflix show would focus on him learning to use his powers for good

>Sup Forums really only cares about the costumes. Narrative and all that shit is for normie cucks.
This, sadly.

Except the narrative was shit. In an attempt to make everything grounded and realistic they lost what originally made Luke interesting. Sup Forums love Daredevil season 1 because it did it well. Luke Cage tried and failed

But that's how he's been in the comics for YEARS.

Yeah. They did it in Logan and I get that he's bitter and shit but saying comics are for bed wetters was a bit much.

One thing I didn't like about the Nolan movies was how hard they tried to hide the bat on the chest

>Except the narrative was shit

You're confusing statements with explanations, so your opinion is discarded

You know Claire Temple was never Nightnurse in the comics, right?

because they do look stupid

The ones in Daredevil are magic zombie ninjas.

But most Marvel heroes have suits that are at least somewhat close to what they should look like.
You would have been right if you had said "X-Men Movie".

>Now, of course, none of these people who reject 'tights' watch sports, because they aren't hypocrites.

TIGHTS

TIGHTS

TIGHTS

>implying it wasn't batman 89 that killed off tights

Define "completely seriously." I think the Nolan movies are actually fairly 'realistic' in the way Batman is treated, or at least Batman Begins is. People think it's the daffiest fucking thing they've ever heard of, and that Batman himself must be totally nuts.

I feel like if the movies just took the costumes seriously, or didn't poke fun at it, the audience would too.

In the 90's Batman movies poked fun at it all the time, but in Begins and TDK I don't think they ever did, except the jab at the costume's immovable neck.

Maybe it's just because of how ubiquitous Batman is, but I think TDK is still a good example of how if you treat your material seriously, the audience will too, and every time you make a self-aware jab the audience's suspension of disbelief lowers.

Are we actually going pretend like athletes in these sports don't wear stuff like this frequently especially for protection?

To be fair, they may as well call the MCU shows the Bendis Cinematic Universe since it's based on Alias and his versions of Daredevil and Luke Cage.

Daredevil Season 2 took more inspiration from Miller and so it was a bit less retarded about this stuff.

>protection

They wear stuff like this

Couldn't it just be that they're having fun, though? I'd like to see that as the point of view.
"It's absolutely ridiculous... but I kind of like it that way."

Depends on the character's personality. There's a reason Deadpool has the best costume

Protection against the elements dumbass. Skin cancer is literally the reason Freeman wears the sleeves for example.

The look of spandex in sports is normalized as fuck even if it's not the main uniform.

>Skin cancer is literally the reason Freeman wears the sleeves for example.

Do superheroes stand in the sun for hours on end? Is there going to be some edgy story where a beloved hero dies because of skin cancer they got while fighting crime in a t-shirt?

>The look of spandex in sports is normalized as fuck even if it's not the main uniform.

Because sports are highly regulated events where the other guy isn't going to pull out a gun

Disney please let Falcon wear the actual red and white costume. Anthony Mackie wants to wear it. Let him wear it!

>Do superheroes stand in the sun for hours on end?
Sometimes they stand ON the sun

I'm excited for Man of Steel 2: Scourge of Skin Cancer

The point is not that superheroes would need spandex for the same reasons but that spandex itself is normalized among the viewing public as it is worn by active people. But there are indeed sports where athletes wear it for ease of movement too like gymnastics (both male and female) and track and shit. But every Spider-Man movie pretty much proves it can look good as well in live action without anyone bitching anyway.

If your only argument is that they're not protective enough against bullets you can use the same arguments that superhero fiction have been using forever (the spandex itself it just on top of the body armor is probably most convincing but any kind of scifi fabric explanation would also work). That's not really a legitimate reason not to do it.

It would be good if they adapted All-Star Superman tbqh

>If your only argument is that they're not protective enough against bullets you can use the same arguments that superhero fiction have been using forever (the spandex itself it just on top of the body armor is probably most convincing but any kind of scifi fabric explanation would also work). That's not really a legitimate reason not to do it.

Character motivation is the biggest reason not to dress up in a costume. Good writing has the characters doing things for real reasons, not just to fill out a set of requirements that fanboys demand.

Would it? They tried to adapt The Dark Knight Returns and fucked it up

>Character motivation is the biggest reason not to dress up in a costume. Good writing has the characters doing things for real reasons, not just to fill out a set of requirements that fanboys demand.

I don't understand why you think that no character would choose to wear a costume while keeping it in character. As if no one would want to be a showman or a beacon of whatever to the public? Characters in comics have actual reasoning for their costumes too.

>I don't understand why you think that no character would choose to wear a costume while keeping it in character.

I didn't say all characters, just most. Wolverine isn't going to dress up in yellow with a giant mask.

>As if no one would want to be a showman or a beacon of whatever to the public?

Those ones exist but they aren't the majority.

>Characters in comics have actual reasoning for their costumes too.

Rarely does it go beyond "I'm a superhero, better dress up in an outlandish costume because that's what everyone else does".

Honestly I guess we might just have to agree to disagree here because I feel like it is definitely most of them who wear a costume either for a symbolic purpose or because they have that flamboyant personality and want to look good. I feel like I've only seen "dress up because that's what's done" for very young heroes in a universe that already has a lot or parody stuff, certainly not the norm.

>Create an ex-con character
>Name him "Cage"

Man, I WISH somebody would lock him up.

Netflix Luke should really claim that he used the name because he was a big fan of Raising Arizona.

People rich enough to not give a flying fuck what other people think.

>Rarely does it go beyond "I'm a superhero, better dress up in an outlandish costume because that's what everyone else does".
You say that, yet DDS1 did an amazing job portraying why Matt would dress himself up as the Devil. You can make it work, you just need to care enough to try. And not in a "they filled a swimming pool with dead people" kind of way.

I hope Luke is cool in the Defenders. He's a little preachy and stoic. Hopefully having friends loosens him up a little.

You are naive to imagine that his friendship with Danny isn't going to be mostly white guilting him.

It would be nice if an adaptation went all the way with being styled like a comic book, with brightly coloured spandex, and the main character is asked why they wear it. They reply "I'm not so insecure I'll only wear black leather."

Because there's a couple of things that execs at Marvel still think people won't accept.

Costumes, code names and secret identities.

Nevermind that all three are part and parcel of "superhero" and what they're producing is just weak, diluted adaptions catered towards normies.

Say what you will about Sony, but at least all of their three Spider-Man movie series have gotten that formula right whereas the MCu barely has and the NetflixU totally fails the goal

kek

>Wolverine isn't going to dress up in yellow with a giant mask.

Except he does, because as cheesy as it is he believes in what the outlandish uniforms are supposed to represent. The character from the comics of course, not the shitty generic tough guy Jackman played for almost 20 years.

as someone who is in the sun all day and wears full body tights to not burn, yes it makes sense to be skin cancer conscious

If you make a bad shoe people won't like it. That's all the explanation you need

Secret identities worked in 1930s Chicago.
They don't work in the digital age, the gubmit' would even find out who batgod was in like a week.

No one wants to see that self-masturbatory drivel on live action.

Because acknowledging the silliness allows people who are ashamed of what they're watching to feel like they're okay.

Yeah because that's the big breaking point of my suspension of disbelief, not the thousands of other nonsensical contrivences that have to happen for these stories to make any sense in a "realistic world".

>secret identities.
How long has it been since any hero outside of Peter Parker even HAD a secret identity?
Even Daredevil's "secret" is a bit of a running joke.

COSTUMES
ARE
STUPID

There. Christ. I know you guys love your comics but 90% of the audience are normal people who like normal things. If you walked out on the street and saw someone wearing a costume you'd fucking laugh and wonder if they're mentally ill. It's just that simple.

>Wolverine isn't going to dress up in yellow with a giant mask.
It's a team uniform, he's part of the team.

What?
Batman has had one in every movie. Superman has one in both of Snyder's flicks. Tony Stark had one in IM1.
And while SHIELD and all of them know Banner is the Hulk, I'm not so sure about the general population. No reason to assume they know who Ant-Man is either.

We can come up with some in-universe explanation.
In comics heroes wears costumes for at least 70 years (or even more, i just forgot when in-universe first costumed vigilante appeared). People got used to being surrounded bu strange costumed people.

In the MCU (as we know at present) only classic costumed hero was Captain America.
Hero costume "culture" wasn't formed, so like in real life it assumed as weird.

Normies like you should get banned from posting here.

>secret identities.
These are totally optional, just look at the Fantastic Four.

How would you propose MAKING normal people who don't read comics respect Wolverine's bright yellow costume in live action?

Why? Because I don't have severe autism like the rest of you?

Sad!