Now that the X-men movies are basically forced into a real reboot, can we discuss 17 years of great/bad movies...

Now that the X-men movies are basically forced into a real reboot, can we discuss 17 years of great/bad movies? Logan really felt like an end of an era.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/j0uozRBUc4g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sup Forums and Sup Forums in general has shit opinions on this film franchise.

I give it 3 posts before
>DOFP was shit

Its weird, I like DOFP but it felt like it should have been the first or last movie of the franchise. Actually come to think of it, the entire X Men film universe kind of feels like it was filmed out of order. Imagine if the Weapon X scene in Apocalypse was our first ever introduction to Logan, or if we started with the sentinels instead of Magneto. That said, I think Mystique, or rather JLaw, ruined a good portion of this universe

>X-men movies are basically forced into a real reboot
Lolno, they'll continue the 80's and McAvoy films.

In a perfect world wed have superhero films in the X-Men, teenage coming of age stories/"political" stories in New Mutants then various lower sCale films and series ala Legion and Logan

We pretty much have that,
New Mutants is in development I think.

DOFP was shit.

Singer intended for DoFP to be the end of the series. He didn't want to make Apocalypse.

This is the future of the X-Men CU.

>X-Men: Apocalypse sequel
>X-Force
>New Mutants
>Deadpool 2 and 3
>Legion
>untitled X-Men show
>potential Gambit movie
>potential X-23 movie

Here's some rumored teams.

>New Mutants
Magik, Cannonball, Wolfsbane, Moonstar, Sunspot, Warlock

>X-Force
Warhawk, Cable, Domino, Feral, Deadpool, X-23

>untitled show
Forge, Polaris, Blink, more tba

I found that out recently and it didn't really surprise me.
I liked Apoc, but it was pretty middle of the road.

Yeah I know man.

Sup Forums's hate for DoFP is retarded. As of Logan, it's the second best film in the series, with X2 coming in third.

There's a pretty huge >>>> between it and Logan though.

>Legion

I doubt they'll do a film of this after the series.

Which is pretty good, by the way.

I like First Class more than DoFP, honestly.

No you don't.

Legitimately Well Made Tier
>X2
>Logan

Bretty Good For A Blockbuster Tier
>Days of Future Past

Solid But Flawed Tier
>X-men
>The Wolverine

Indifferent At Best Tier
>First Class (lets not pretend Fassbender wasn't the only notable thing about this)

Bad Tier
>Apocalypse
>Last Stand

Oh Shit Nigger What Are You Doing/ So Bad It Boomerangs To Masterpiece Tier
>Wolverine Origins

Deadpool is kinda its own thing IMO. Let us debate things, friends and discuss how much of the series doesn't really make sense as a whole.

Yes, I do.

I think the fact that people have been willing to give this series multiple second chances after its dismal fuckups and lackluster offerings (Last Stand, Origins, The Wolverine) is a real indicative of how strong the X-Men are as a concept.

These films, even the merely 'good' ones, have so much more going on than other cape movies. They're not just about the plot mcguffin, or the magic sky beam at the end. They're not even just about character drama, like the Marvel films are, though they do that as well. They're about things that we identify with as human beings, and that's what keeps people coming back to them.

I honestly think the X-Men will outlive the superhero spike Marvel has caused, because they're a more meaningful concept than most superheroes.

>reboot

But they're still going to make films with the X-Men Apocalypse cast. And Deadpool.

Huh, I actually agree with this.

My problem with the recent X-Men movies is that I really don't feel attached to the young version of these characters. I don't know why, but the casting was really bad outside of McAvoy and Fassbender. I worry that now with Jackedman, Stewart and Fassbender out, the X franchise will start to crumble. I can see how Deadpool is good, but the movie and character didn't really do it for me and I can't say I'm that excited for more of him. He's clearly going to become the face of the X-Men universe and I don't know how I feel about that.

He's talking about the show

Can I just say that I have no idea why people enjoyed Deadpool?

It was fucking terrible. It was mostly unfunny and there was very little else in the movie. Literally the only good parts were when he was fucking with Colossus and Negasonic.

I'm glad it did well, because Logan probably wouldn't have happened if not for it, but... I don't understand WHY it did well. It was absolute shit.

I haven't watched an X-Men movie since X2. Can I watch Logan without watching everything else?

Eh, I didn't really like it either but I totally understand why it did so well.

Superhero comedies in general do very well and Deadpool is a very...charismatic superhero I guess? He's like RDJ Iron Man, the cool asshole hero that always has a comeback or a smart line ready. People really like these kind of protagonists.

Origins only boomerangs if you watch the workprint with the unfinished CGI.
Also, I think Last Stand should be moved up at least one spot just for Kelsey Grammar as Beast.

if the series gets absorbed by marvel studios, will they just do an entirely new x-men universe with new cast or is there a chance where everythings the same with the added benefit of being able to interact with the Avengers and Dr Strange n' shit?

>Logan takes place in 2029
>mutants haven't been born in 25 years
>Pierce is literally nostalgic for the X-men, who were his childhood idols
>DoFP ending is in 2023
>there are literally teenagers roaming the halls
>all the X-men are clearly alive
>within this 6 year period, there are barely any mutants and Xavier killed off 7 X-men AND Wolverine aged that goddamn badly
So is Logan a what-if story? Shit just did not add up, at all.

Yes, I would say that the only one you need to see beforehand in X-Men 1. The movie stands on its own pretty well.

Actually, you can. Most of the stuff it draws from is X1 and X2 anyway while the rest work as a standalone story for the movie.

When it comes to continuity in the X-verse, you're better off not thinking about it.

>Fox fucked up so bad with Origins that they had to create a whole new timeline to fix it and then fucked up again with Apocalypse

I just hope Logan is a sign that they will stay consistent from now on.

>Shit just did not add up, at all.

It's not meant to. They didn't care. Neither should you.

>The original X-Men movie is almost 20 years old
Goddamn

There is literally no way to put current X-Men universe into the MCU and creating a whole new X-Men for the MCU would be a waste at this point.

Can't the reality gem just make it so that they were always there?

I personally would put Apocalypse in the Indifferent tier. It wasn't great, but it wasn't aggressively bad like The Last Stand.

Just introduce a multiverse

>he honestly thinks the producers at Fox have any idea what they're doing

Hell, I feel like that would just mess up both universes.

I already feel like there are too many characters in the MCU, bringing in the X-Men too? It would be a mess. The X-Men franchise also has a lot of characters and most of them get shafted in favor of the usual Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine etc. I just don't see how you could merge these 2 universe without it turning into a goddamn mess.

It doesn't work in he comics either. It's a terrible idea.

My autism kicked in and I decided Logan works as the end for the Original un-tampered timeline.
>first Class
>X-men Origins
>X1
>X2
>X3
>Logan

Yeah even in the comics the X-Men don't feel like they exist in the same universe as all the other heroes.

Continuity never lasts longer than 2 movies in the X-series.

What about The Wolverine?

I feel like this is a weird opinion to have. The MCU genuinely feels too small for me. I would say there's not enough characters, not enough mythos. I know it takes time but we're 10 years in and it's still very shallow. It doesn't feel like a properly built up world yet.

Didn't the producers at Fox didn't want to make Logan? Jackman had to take a pay cut for them to agree to the R-rating and let Mangold do what he wants\.

Same shit happened with Deadpool, it blows my mind that the execs at Fox are so dumb. They had gold in their hands with both these movies and didn't even realize. Hell, they only got made because the actors and directors involved had to fight for it.

I dunno user. The first act was solid, but then it got hilariously bad, particularly scenes like Magneto being courted in Auschwitz, the entirely pointless Weapon X segment and literally everything involving JLaw.

I could not stop laughing after the metal beams made a X.

Logan implied that X-men 1 still happened. So its canon?

Really? I dunno, ever since Doctor Strange got introduced I feel like the universe is getting really big and it might bite them in the ass soon. You have cosmic with Guardians and Thor, low level superheroics with Avengers and Spider-Man, multiversal shit with Strange and soon we'll also get Wakanda and more cosmic with Captain Marvel.

Civil War already felt really stuffed up and it's a miracle that the movie didn't collapse with so many characters and plotlines involved. Infinity War seems like such an impossible movie to make and I honestly feel bad for Markus&McFeely, it sounds like a nightmare to juggle so many characters. I don't know, I feel like adding the X-Men would be a surefire way for the MCU to collapse under its own weight. Fantastic Four would be a good addition, but not the X-Men.

Good post

Why don't I believe you?

I guess we are just watching with different expectations. Like Civil War had a lot of plots but overall none of it felt that important because they were just a small group of people who only had a few adventures together. It doesn't feel like a real universe to me yet.

I might just be too used to comics, but the material we've gotten so far is comparable to a few minis with sequel stories and like 3 event books. It feels like nothing.

Ok heres where things go to string theory levels.

"The Wolverine" happens in a timeline where DoFP happens but X-man origins doesn't

Basically I've worked it down to three timelines and an aborted future.
The Original TL
See my original post
The corrected/Perfect TL
>FC
>Legion
>Apoc
>X1
>Possibly the first two acts of X2
>DoFP: ending
>Deadpool
and for lack of a better name "the Pre-post correction timeline" where the past has been fixed but it hasn't taken affect yet.
>FC
>X1
>X2
>X3
>the Wolverine
>DoFP: the bad future.

We need more information but this is how the time looks now... I think.

Don't worry about what's canon and what isn't and just enjoy the movie, mate. That's the best way to approach the Fox-Men movies

Good lord, man.
You've put more thought into this than anyone at Fox.

At least parts of it. Like how Professor X first found him.

I don't think it's possible to have such a universe in live-action in my opinion. Comics have been going on for 70+ years, with hundreds of issues coming out every year. In the MCU/Foxverse/whatever you only have 2-3 movies a year. That's like 6 hours max of universe building per year.

Even like that, I think it's impressive what the MCU managed to do when building their universe (opinions on the quality of the movies aside). Overall the continuity is pretty sound, even though there are some small missteps and retcons here and there. And also, the general audience is not as patient as comic book fans are, if you blast them with tons of characters and plotlines and events they'll eventually get overwhelmed and drop the movies. You just can't do with movies what you do with comics.

They offered him more money for apocalypse than he got for DOFP. It was probably hard to say no. I think it was some 10m to 20m plus a percentage.

Yeah I guess you're not wrong and I'll probably never be satisfied by the MCU because of it, but they could use things like Netflix or a show like AoS to build up smaller stuff more than they do but it feels mostly like a missed opportunity in that regard. Just can't shake the feeling that a world where I know basically every fight against supervillainy that has ever happened doesn't seem big enough.

I felt my brain boiling as I thought it all out.

Unless Singer screws more things up. I think it works.

It's the best way to approach the X-Men, period

He'll retcon both First Class and Deadpool to make it so that the X-Men never had and never will have real costumes.

ironically the x-men movies perfectly capture the convoluted continuity of a typical comic series.

I can see that. I never really expected them to be exactly like the comics so I'm not very bothered by it.

I enjoy the MCU and Fox-Men movies for what they are, both for different reasons. I like the MCU for the connected universe thing and all the C-list characters getting exposure. For all the problems that they have (underwhelming villains, a bit too much comedy) I really feel like they're doing a good job with the characters and universe building. All these years I really got attached to the characters. Fox is interesting because I think the absolutely fucked continuity they have is also one of their strengths. It allows them to basically say "fuck it" to universe building and do some interesting movies like Logan, which is not bound by continuity or having to build up to some event. Yeah they have some real stinkers like Fant4stic and Wolverine Origins, but I think it's worth it for when they DO get it right.

There is one single timeline for x-men. It just keeps getting altered. Some stories exist in "pockets" of the timeline, or bend continuity.

Deadpool takes place in 2016. DOFP ending takes place in 2023. Logan takes place in 2029.

My take is, that clearly time travel fucks with things, and each movie is on the same time line, but time travel fucks with it between movies.

Yeah.... but, is it "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!" bad?

How is the best scene in the entire franchise bad?

Logan > DoFP > X2 > X1 > AoA > First Class > X3 > Wolverine Origins
First Class is incredibly overrated. It's not bad like X3 or Origins, but I can not for the life of me understand why people love it.
I never saw the second Wolverine movie. Origins left a bad taste in my mouth.

You now realize that the FoxMen universe is more in the spirit of comics than the MCU, what with all the retconing and alternate timelines and one-shots and stuff.

Wolverine was breddy gud, but since you've already watched Logan, it would seem very underwhelming in comparison.

To be fair, my expectations for it aren't super that high, from what I've heard. I know it's no Logan.
I'll get around to watching it some day. It, and Antman.

I like X3.

Other user here, I haven't seen Logan yet. Is The Wolverine really worth it?

Yes.
It's a 6.5/10.

First 5/6 are great, final 1/6 is ok

You really should watch Ant-Man.

Both movies are enjoyable, you should.

I liked X3 as well. I can understand why it's stupid, but honestly I think it gets a lot more hate than it deserves.

The Wolverine was really boring. The only notable things are how unsexy Viper was and how bad Adamantium Man looked.

The Wolverine is a good movie, but the thing you'll discover watching it after Logan is that... it's kind of like, Logan v0.75

It's plot arc and themes are VERY similar to Logan. Just like, generally not quite as good, and more comicbook-like if that makes sense.

I think the main reasons it gets hate are
>Obvious changes that were made because Cyclops' actor had other projects.
>The plot was all over the place.
>It's a lackluster adaptation of one of the most beloved and recognized X-Men story arcs ever written.

It astounds me there are other opinions than this. With social media, there's so much being said without recently reviewing the subject matter, so I guess I'm foolish for thinking good opinions would survive that.

What's ironic is that Singer set up the Dark Phoenix movie (and set it up well!) but left and someone else completely fucked it up, and now they've set up a second take on it and he's left again.

>How is the best meme in the entire franchise bad?

>completely fucked it up
hyperbole is a tired meme
X3 was a "good try" and I enjoyed lots of it.

Other than First Class, i agree with this.

I know I've already said it, but I couldn't help but have a wide smile every time Kelsey Grammar was onscreen.
It's criminal that he was only in DoFP for 10 seconds.
youtu.be/j0uozRBUc4g

>the movie that pretty much killed the franchise
>" I can understand why it's stupid, but honestly I think it gets a lot more hate than it deserves."

Basically.

>Killed the franchise
>5 movies later

>Xavier's monologue to X-24

What a shitty way to go

dumb animeposter

I don't really know.

I thought Last Stand was the Franchise killer, but Days of Future Past was an elegant way to bring First Class (X2 tier in my opinion) to main continuity.

Brian Synger is the only one who can do X-Men the best way. Just don't let him mess with DC

I really liked when Logan came in and said "it wasn't me it wasn't me" sounding really pained.

I love Singer too and I hate the neo-Sup Forums meme that he's shit.

I thought he was just having another nightmare.

He still made Apocalypse which felt like he did not give a fuck like Nolan did with TDKR.

Are you being retarded on purpose?

It's hyperbolic but not inappropriate I don't think

They took an major story that had good setup and squandered it but turning it into a secondary sub-plot in a generally kind of dull movie

The movie has parts that work certainly (Beast is great, the final scene with Logan and Jean is exactly what it should have been etc) but there's just as many mistakes and missteps. Rogue's plot is a mess, easily the worst outing for Magneto in any of the X-movies, Angel subplot is completely superfluous, just obliterating Charles and Scott out of the movie was terrible, etc.

Are you?
What are you trying to prove here?

X3 was the highest earning movie in the series for quite some time because everyone was looking forward to it after X2, and it went so poorly than the box office for the following movies cratered until DOFP and The Wolverine.

His reveal was straight up like a horror scene

>the final scene with Logan and Jean is exactly what it should have been
This is why I give the movie more credit than most people do. It sticks the landing.

>You would die for them?

>No, not for them. For you, Jean. For you.